Padre Hotel
$109
TripAdvisor
$99
TripAdvisor
All reviewsboutique hotelhead honchorooftop barbelvedere restaurantvalet servicefox theatervalet parking isdowntown bakersfieldcool hotelcorner roommemory foamroom servicefantastic hotelroad tripnight's sleepdefinitely stay here againlong drive
Reviewed November 5, 2012

As a former Bakersfield resident, I was so excited that a swanky hotel came to town. Couldn't wait to stay there. Once I got there, I was about 2 hours early for check-in. They told me my room wasn't ready and it wouldn't be until check-in. First time I've ever heard that from a hotel, but fair enough...check-in times exist for a reason. Upon returning at check-in time (4pm), I was told my room STILL wasn't ready, but were nice enough to comp a cocktail at the bar and valet parking. Finally at 5:30 we were able to go to our room which was on the second floor. Room was clean and swanky. Almost too swanky as our shower was viewable from both the bedroom and bathroom. Sort of sexy but not so much when one has a clear shot of the toilet from the bedroom. A very sheer curtain was provided but did nothing to hide the fact that you were using the toilet from anyone in that room. I had a very nice (and late) dinner that night at Woolgrowers and returned, wanting to go to sleep as the work week had been long. No such luck. It was as if our room was located directly in the very lively nightclub in the Padre. We heard every song, every word the DJ spoke and just prayed from 2 am to come. 2 am came and the music died, but the party just started on our floor. I have to say that I didn't call down to the front desk because I was told at check-in that the hotel was booked, so I knew there was nothing they could do about anything. The next day I told the front desk and all I got was a "oh ya...it gets really noisy on the second floor...we'll give you 15% off." Nice that they did something, but I felt that it wasn't enough for such a miserable experience. I can't belieive that they don't include information like "some rooms on the second floor are not soundproof and may make for a noisy night". Also, when I requested my car from valet (through the front desk) they apparently didn't pass on the message to the valet so we just stood there for 45 minutes waiting for nothing. They were really busy so we thought that maybe it was the normal flow of things but once we realized that something was askew and brought it up with valet, they felt really bad and had my car to me in less than 5 minutes. Front desk people seemed unenthusiastic and indifferent, but I think the valet did a great job.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us. Also, thank you so much for the high stars you gave us on our individual areas of the hotel. Every review is an opportunity to ensure our high level of service, we look forward to welcoming you back to Padre!

Reviewed November 2, 2012

The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to be helpful, especially Zack who works the night reservation and Nohemy at the front desk. Really enjoyed the shower you could see from the bed!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank TravelIndustryPro

Thank you so much for staying with us, we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

If you know Bakersfield, you know that there is not much redeeming qualities about it. So unless you are there on business or traveling through, you would not end up being there. But if you DO end up there, this is THE place to stay.

The place is HIP in the true sense of the word. An old building housing a totally redone hotel. This is my second time here and I loved it even more. This time i got an upgrade to a suite for a ridiculously good price. The suite was just great. Wonderful modern style furniture. Amazing memory foam bed. Bathroom to die for. The tub next to the bed filled up with water from a spigot from the ceiling. How cool is that? :-). All around, creative, modern, hip vibe. A pure joy of a hotel stay. You would think you are at a top hotel in Santa Monica or Manhattan. Service was friendly, efficient, if a bit "green" and young. Both restaurants were excellent. The gourmet one (Belvedere) was at the level of a good San Francisco place. Alas, the chef is salt happy and sort of ruined a perfectly good steak and vegetables with too much salt.

Two reasons for 4 stars rather than 5 - 1) "resort fee" That is just the worst thing that a hotel's management can do as far as I am concerned. It is simply wrong. A "fee" that is really a higher room rate (since its mandatory) hidden under lame explanations of what you get for it. It makes as much sense as a 'location fee" for car rentals. It is unacceptable and shows that the management is not thinking straight about customer's impressions. 2) lack of fitness room. No hotel in this class can afford to be without one.

However, overall a great Oasis in the middle of central valley desert. Enjoy it.

Room Tip: Go for a suite upgrade at the check in, bust make sure you ask for the manager.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Hello and thank you for your review. We have many times been referred to as the "gem" of Bakersfield, and we appreciate that you chose to stay with us. I am sorry you thought our Valet charge was a resort fee, as we have never had a resort fee. We look forward to welcoming you back to Padre!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Lovely old Hotel with a wonderful staff. Everyone from the valets to the hotel desk to housekeeping were prompt and polite. The first request we had were a few extra towels and housekeeping quickly delivered them. The second request we had was a rollaway (the full-sized beds in the double room weren't quite big enough for three adults) and housekeeping quickly delivered that as well and made the bed up for us. The double room had plenty of space to accommodate a rollaway without feeling crowded which was really nice. In addition, it wasn't one of those thin, flimsy cots, it was a nice sturdy mattress which was very comfortable! All in all, a memorable hotel stay.

Room Tip: Our double room on the sixth floor was very spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank smalltowngalReno
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Every guest request is our number one priority. Thank you for staying with us!
Matthew

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This place think's it is a high end hotel. But due to it's rude and untrained staff it ranks as the worst hotel/restaurant/bar in Bakersfield. I would highly recommend calling and finding out all of there unwritten rules that they have in place before arriving. You may find you cannot valet your car or you cannot enter because of the color shirt your wearing. First one happened to me, the second happened to a friend. There a lot of other choices for downtown. I would not waste your time on this place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank giantkrash

Thank you for your review. As the #1 hotel in Bakersfield, there is no better in our city. I have addressed your concern with the valet staff, in our busy fantastic downtown location, we are always focused on providing every guest with a perfect stay.
Matthew