“Nice for a 3-Star, but it is definitely 3 stars”
Review of Padre Hotel

Padre Hotel
Ranked #1 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed June 8, 2011

My title really says it all about this place. While they try and position themselves as much more than a 3-star hotel, this place is as rated.
Don't get me wrong, for a 3-star hotel, this place is top notch. Just don't get sucked in by the pictures on the internet and the fact they have a fine dining restaurant on-sight and think your going to get any extra amenities.

Parking is $10/day: That is just for parking. The valets are glad to watch you get your own bags in and out of your vehicle.

There are no coffee makers in the rooms: You also can not get coffee before 7am anywhere in th building. The coffee in the coffee shop in the hotel is HORRIBLE. We opted to walk across the street on subsequent days and get coffee from a convenience store.

The rooms are very nice. Comfy beds and quiet even though this place gets really raucous in the lobby on weekends. We couldn't hear any of it from our room on the 3rd floor.

There is no fitness center

There is no pool.

There ARE plenty of place to drink.

When my room key/card stopped working, I went to the front desk. I got to listen to the young lady finish her personal phone call ("i love you most... NO!! I love YOU most") before I could get any service. I stood there a while. She was clearly not bothered by my presence. The rest of the staff were friendly, but no one went out of their way.

All in all, this is a good place to stay if you just want to stay in an historic building in Bakersfield. Or, if you like to party hard, this place on the weekends is for you. I've stayed at the Marriot convention center hotel just down the street from the Padre and would probably opt for that instead next time. I'm glad I stayed at the Padre. Now, I can check that off my list.

4  Thank txump
buildhotels, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2011

Thank you for staying at the Padre. I appreciate every guest taking the time to review our hotel, and work with the staff here to achieve the "perfect" Padre experience for every guest every time. At times, when we fall short of a guest's expectations, I meet with the staff to review how we can all work together to never let that happen again. Your review has helped us to correct what was not at the high level of service that the Padre is known for. Belvedere, our fine dining restaurant, does bring a new level of historical elegance to Bakersfield, and has proven to be a city favorite. I look forward to welcoming you back, please do not hesitate to call my office upon returning to Bakersfield, and I will personally set up your reservation. Thank you!

Reviewed June 2, 2011

This was a very nice hotel. I really liked the way they renovated it. It is very different than the chain hotels. The bed was very comfortable. I loved the shower as well. If I have to stay in Bakersfield again I would definitely stay here.

We also loved the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

"Great" is a word we here often when people review their stay at the Padre! Thank you so much for staying with us, and as you have experienced, the new Padre has brought a new high level of hospitality to Bakersfield. We look forward to welcoming you back, and once again, thank you for choosing the Padre!

Reviewed May 30, 2011

This completely refurbished hotel is a gem. As nice as any small city I have seen. This could have been downtown San Diego. Great wi-fi. Nice room- in fact the room I stayed in had a really cool glass shower. More or less a boutique hotel. I mention this as I try to avoid chains if I can. I try to stay in hotels that have some sort of character. This one has it.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

You have discovered what the Padre is all about! Our upscale contemporary styling of a bygone era, makes every stay an experience every guest loves to rave about. Thank you so much for staying with us, and we look forward to your return soon.

Reviewed May 23, 2011

Love the padre, best rooms, bed, everything. We conceived our children here.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Lyndseyrichard
Reviewed May 21, 2011

My husband and I spent the night in room 602 on May 20th at the Padre Hotel which was built in 1928. We were celebrating my cousin's retirement party at Luigi's downtown and I thought it would be kind of fun to stay somewhere closer to the restaurant. I did my research and found that the Padre Hotel had some interesting history, had been recently remodeled, had an art-deco theme, and was priced lower than most chain motels in town. I read the reviews of tripadvisor and thought I'd give it a try. I am so glad I did! My husband hadn't read anything and remembered the hotel from when he lived in Bakersfield in 1969, which of course wasn't a place you would want to even visit at that time. I reassured him that it would be fine and it will be different. I was right again! Our room was gorgeous with a fairly large flat-screen TV mounted on the wall, lovely drapes framed the aged windows, a useful computer table and chair and the bed was so comfy that I took an afternoon nap in it because I simply sunk right into it and fell asleep. There was a feeling of old and new syles and whomever designed the room did an excellent job. Everything was clean, perfect color choices and I certainly didn't feel like I was in Bakersfield! The only thing that I didn't like was the parking areas for hotel guests. We could have parked on the street with a long walk to the hotel, or we could have parked in the above ground parking garage across the street and the last choice we had was valet parking through the hotel which was reasonable at $10 per day with in-and-out privileges. We opted for the valet parking because we knew that our car was being watched (somewhat). The downtown area appears to be going through some positive changes, but this hotel is still located very close to the bus depot. We had a great time at Luigi's (I would recommend it for their food, gift shop, and the great pictures that decorated the walls in the party room). Thank you Padre Hotel for a memorable night and I will be back again…someday!

2  Thank KatzSnyder
Reviewed May 19, 2011

My wife and I stayed there for her bday and the bar is split in to three different bars one that's free and two others that charge $10 even if you stay there. Bring lots of money the drinks are way over priced. The staff at night are horrible. When they were closing the bar I got two beers to take up to my room and the bouncer took the drinks from us and called my wife a stupid b***h. So I will never return to that place and I make sure to tell everyone I know not to go there either

• Stayed: April 2011
4  Thank bethehelp
Reviewed May 17, 2011

We stopped here en route from Death Valley to Yosemite, although on reflection even when the pass is closed you CAN still do the whole trip in a day if you don't mind a slog. Nonetheless, it was an interesting stay. Bakersfield felt like a slightly sorrowful town; you can see that once it had a thriving heart and centre but now it's pretty run-down (lots of thrift stores and empty shops, a beautiful former Woolworth building now a 'five and dime' (albeit a good one with fabulously preserved Fifties' diner). It was a bit disheartening to go for a stroll and find there wasn't really anywhere to stroll to, though the shop selling 'Lingerie and Pipes' (that's crack pipes to you, folks), made for an interesting holiday photo.

We couldn't really figure out what the rationale was for opening an over-the-top gin palace like the Padre in such a 'quiet' town. The owners have certainly spent some money on the refurb, though helped by the splendid proportions of the original building and its features. The modern additions are so glitzy they could give you migraine - you couldn't exactly call it tasteful. 'Bold' might be a better adjective for the crazy wallpaper and hot pink drapes we spotted in some of the larger rooms, which looked as though they could be used as location shots for a low-budget 'erotic' film. But, to each their own, and our more modest '40 winks' room was comfortable and clean with a good bed. Unfortunately sleep was in short supply, as the air conditioning in the corridor outside was so loud it kept us awake. Crazy place.

2  Thank BrightonianMiss