“Delicious Soul Food!”

J's Place
Ranked #12 of 846 Restaurants in Bakersfield
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Wow, I was quite impressed. Who thought you could get good soul food in Bakersfield?! The chicken was perfectly moist, even their breast! Their fried chicken was delicious. All the sides were to die for which included the mac and cheese, fried cabbage, dirty rice and yams. I would definitely come back here again! I was quite impressed!

3  Thank nlee1220

Reviewed July 28, 2013

As I am not an expert on Southern food I can't comment on how close it is to the real thing. What I can say is that we liked it very much!

With a family of 4 (kids 10 & 13) we ordered 3 entrees. The kids shared 4 pieces of fried chicken & 2 waffles. An odd combination but tasted quite nice actually. My wife had the fried catfish and I had the fried chicken J's way. The last to dishes came with 2 sides.
We had fried cabbage, yams, corn and mixed greens. At first the sides looked small, but as an addition to our entrees it was enough. The entrees are a plate full and also have a piece of cornbread. Non of he 3 plates were empty because it was too much.
And we did try, because we all liked it.

I would certainly go back here on a next trip. Be aware that the address is not on Ming Ave. Look it up via Google so you want be looking at he wrong street.

Pricewise this restaurant offers value or your money so that can't be an excuse not to go.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Southern food prepared well and served with a smile. Chicken and waffles, catfish, and chicken and dumplings are all so good they will make you wanna slap yo mama! The sides are fantastic and the tea is sweet. *Rosedale location (could not find one on Ming Ave.)

3  Thank Christy45a
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Rosedale location, fist of all was greeted with friendly smiles, visited for dinner around 4pm wait time was minimal about 10 min. food was very tasty, well prepared and hot, catfish Greens, mac and cheese, cornbread was all very good, chicken and waffles loved it, I was not to impressed with turkey and dressing , not what I expected...over all clean and friendly service and great food. Highly recommended, I definitely will visit again I give them and A..

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Southern BBQ was not among my favorite things, but J's Place showed that it could be done on a masterful level. The ribs melt in my mouth, and the cornbread, plus the various, unusual sides added to the experience as well.
We also had chicken and waffles, and those were also delicious.