“Comfy and happy guests we are”

Four Points by Sheraton Bakersfield
Ranked #17 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Sydney, Australia
“Comfy and happy guests we are”
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel before reading trip advisor comments and was worried (by the recent reviews) that it wild be a dump. Far from it! We arrived this afternoon and I thought it only fitting that I post a review ASAP. After spending a few long hot and sweaty days in yosemite, this place is just what we needed. Big clean cool rooms and a massive pool for the kids to play in. We booked a dbl queen deluxe and are most happy with the room (although no bar fridge in the room). Give this place a thumbs up.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tracy W, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Bakersfield, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with us in Bakerfield. We are pleased that we were able to meet your expectations. We look forward to seeing you again here at Four Points.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We just stayed here for one night on our way from Las Vegas to Sequoia national Park.
For this reason it is ok. But the rooms definitely needs a make over.
But however, staff was very friendly and the lobby gives a much better impression than the rooms.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Tracy W, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Bakersfield, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with us on your way to Sequoia Park. We appreciate your feedback and will certainly pass along your room comments. We are happy that we met your service expectations during your stay. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip through Bakersfield.
Danville, California
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on our way from Northern California to San Diego recently. We arrived the hotel late around 10pm and was assigned a bedroom with a king-sized bed. Knowing that we'd arrive late, I had called the day before requesting a room with double beds because I was travelling with two small children. However, the hotel has a policy of assigning bedroom only on the day of arrival. Anyway, I was disappointed but got over that quickly when the front desk told me that the room has a full bath tub. When we got to our room, I found out that it was a room designed for guests with disability. There was no full bath tub in the room! I wanted to complain but we were all too tired to move since we had brought all of our luggage into the room and didn't want to move. Anyway, the bedroom and bathroom were clean with no insects or spots. Water pressure was good. Noise level was a little high because our room was next to the entrance door and we could hear people going in and out of the building. The location of the hotel was within walking distance to some convenience stores and fastfood places. You can also walk to the Bistro which is right next to the hotel. My expectation of this hotel was a little higher because it had the name brand that is associated with luxury. Overall, our experience was average because of the types of bed and bathroom that we got.

Room Tip: Do not get rooms close to the entrance door as you can hear the noise from people coming in and out...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent stay at Four Points. I apologize that we did not meet your room requests. We will certainly review our room assignment process to ensure we are meet our guests' requests whenever possible. Thank you for the feedback. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip through Bakersfield.
Joplin, Missouri
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We really enjoyed this hotel. We used it as a stopping point between our destinations -one on the way through and once on the way back. The pool felt great! The staff was very accommodating. They do not have an elevator, so if you have a lot of luggage or would have trouble with stairs, make sure you request a lower level room. The grounds are beautiful! My only suggestion would be to add milk to the items you can purchase in the lobby. I had to go to the bar to get a glass of milk for my son and it was $6/glass (coffee cup size) by the time I added in a tip.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Tracy W, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Bakersfield, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for staying with during your trip through Bakersfield. We are pleased you were able to enjoy our courtyard and pool area. We appreciate the suggestion of adding milk to our market, we will certainly consider adding it. We look forward to seeing you again when in Bakersfield.
Georgia
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was reading through the reviews for this hotel and told myself that I needed to write one too. I have lived in hotels Monday to Friday for over 15 years and was shocked at what people blame hotels for.

Yes, there are not all the cable channels you might have at home. And yes, sometimes the people in the next room forget to use their indoor voices, or not to shout down the hallways, slam doors, do jumping jacks, or lower the TV volume after sleeping hours. And, sometimes things in the rooms break (very rare in my life). And, the restaurant runs on a schedule that does not always match with your jet lag schedule. That is hotel life.

I stay at the Four Points Bakersfield often and have probably stayed in most of their rooms over the years. I have been quite happy with the rooms, the staff, and especially with the quality of food in the restaurant. Conversations in the bar have always been pleasant and there is always hot coffee waiting in the lobby when I get up to head for work.

Sorry, I can't talk to breakfast because my work takes me to out the fields at 6:00am, much earlier than most people. And, my only lunches there have been in the conference rooms, which was always good food.

I tell my coworkers to stay there, which is testament on its own.

Room Tip: Best rooms are those on the lower floors that face the pool. They have a small patio where you can s...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experiences at Four Points. We appreciate the opportunity to be your hotel of choice in Bakersfield. We are continually striving to meet and exceed our guests' expectations and we are pleased that you have been happy with your stays. We look forward to continuing to serve you.
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed here a few days ago. It was a getaway trip to see a friend who lives nearby. Arrived at the hotel late on Saturday night. I had booked a king room, arrived and was told the only thing available was a room with two queen beds...fine.

Got to the room and it was warm inside..but it was like 95 outside so I let it go while I unpacked then I called downstairs. They sent up a maintenance guy. The rooms AC system was actually blasting heat! He tried fixing it but realized it was going to be a big job. His solution was to get me another room..only to find out, no more rooms available. So we went back to the plan of fixing the AC. The poor guy worked at it for hours climbing up into the ceiling where the AC unit was. He did finally manage to get it pumping out cooler air but it was 85 inside the room by that point and going on midnight. Not having options I settled in for an unpleasant night's sleep which is exactly what I got. The next morning I complained to the manager and was told they'd credit me for that night. Seemed reasonable.
I decided to go check out the pool. The pool was a horrible green color and cloudy/murky. At first I thought, well, maybe it's just the way the water is out here...kinda like Florida...but then I checked the spa and it was bright and clear so obviously there's yet another maintenance issue. Being a swimmer, I know cloudy green water is bad. Its an indication of algae and bacteria growth and means whoever's doing the cleaning isn't testing the water quality and managing it properly. Needless to say I didn't go in the pool.
So now it's late Sunday morning. Decided to go get breakfast/brunch and perhaps a cocktail. Headed to The Bistro only to be told they were closing in minutes (this was like 11:10am) and wouldn't be re-opening until 5pm and then only server "bar food". Apparently they were hosting a wedding and shutting down the restaurant?

Ironically, the next day as I was packing my stuff out and heading home they had crews trimming the trees. They were just dropping palm leaves and cuttings into the pool. They had a guy scooping the stuff out later but apparently nobody realized...whatever was on those leaves in the way of bacteria also ends up in the water...that's how you get a green nasty looking pool!

The final blow was when I went to check out and discovered no room credit. Apparently because I booked thru Booking.com and pre-paid they couldn't issue a credit or do anything.
All in all, just a really bad experience. I'll stay somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RSMGuy
Tracy W, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Bakersfield, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with and sharing your experience. I would like to apologize for the issues you encountered. We certainly make every effort to ensure our AC system is working properly, especially at 95 degrees. I was also distressed to hear of your pool experience. We work hard to keep our resort like grounds in top condition, including the pool. Please feel free to contact me directly so I can personally discuss your experience with the hotel.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have been staying at the various Starwood brands for over three decades of business and vacation travel. I have never before felt compelled to write a review, but the Four Points Bakersfield is the worst hotel experience I have ever had in 35 years of travel.

1. The room had maintenance problems. As soon as we walked in we could hear the toilet running non-stop. The bathroom was also contaminated with black mold.

2. I called about the maintenance problems and the front desk assured me that a maintenance person would arrive in 30 minutes.

3. An hour and a half later I tried to check on the status and the front desk was no longer answering calls

4. I went to the front desk and it was abandoned. After shouting Hello, Hello, Hello for several minutes the front desk staff finally came forward from the office behind the desk, but denied that they had not been answering the phone.

This could be a great hotel with some semi-competent management, but the combination of failure to address maintenance problems, failure to answer the phone, failure to have staff at the front desk, and staff that lies to customers is unacceptable.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent stay with us and sharing your experience. I apologize that we were unable to respond to your simple issue in a timely and efficient fashoin. We will certainly review our processes to ensure we resolve the problems. I hope we will have an opportunity to be your host again when in Bakersfield.