“Champs food not champion, but the service was!”
Review of Champs BBQ

Champs BBQ
Ranked #242 of 833 Restaurants in Bakersfield
Cuisines: Barbecue
Lundin Links, United Kingdom
“Champs food not champion, but the service was!”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We visited here in March while on a stopover in Bakersfield. Champs was recommended to us by our hotel, and also by a man who was checking in at the same time as us - he was a regular diner and said it was the best!

We had a choice of Denny's or Champs so we chose Champs.

Champs was described as a barbeque to us, but nothing seemed to be barbecued! It was like a little diner, and the menu was fast food style. Lots of different combos, which included drinks, sides etc, to reduce the price which was good.

I had a pulled pork sub, which was lovely. The pulled pork was tender and. List, but the barbeque sauce was sickly sweet and tasted out of a jar.
My husban also had the same but with mash and gravy. The mash n gravy was awful, like baby purée!
My only real concern with the food was how fast it came out to us, which suggested that it was already cooked and had just been microwaved, but it tasted good never the less.

We also took away with us, a slice of the best brownie I have ever had. I recommend it! Delicious!

The service was however outstanding. We were served by a girl with blond hair, who was super cheerful and friendly as well as advising us on what was good.

It has an all-American feel which is nice, especially as a visitor to the USA. Champs also had a little 'fact file' on the table, all about Bakersfield and the county - it was good to read!

• Visited March 2014

Bakersfield, California
“Good BQ. Much better than the big chain.”
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

I had the hot link combo and my wife had the sweet surprise sandwich. They were both excellent. Unfortunately a bus load of students from Wasco were there at the same time. Noisy! !!!!.Fortunately we were there first. We will be back

• Visited March 2014
San Diego, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best BBQ ever! ”
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

My family has been to Champs several times in the past few months. We have always had a great experience! Seems like ppl always go out of their way to say something bad, so I thought I should take the time to let everyone know about this awesome place! Champs has the best pulled pork we have ever had! It is perfectly seasoned AND juicy, not just covered up by a bath in BBQ sauce. Not to say the sauce isn't amazing, but it is a condiment. U can choose it or not! The sides at BBQ places always take a second seat. But not at Champs! U have several delicious choices that taste like secret family recipes. We are never disappointed!

1 Thank Jnelson_1122
Tampa
“Barbecue Really?”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

These guys need to spend some time in Texas, Alabama, or Tennessee before they call themselves a barbecue restaurant. The food was decent, but not up to standards for real barbecue .

Visited October 2013
3 Thank G2services
Woody, California
“Good lunch spot, pretty good BBQ.”
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

I don't know if it would make the cut for true BBQ enthusiasts, but very good food, nonetheless. Casual atmosphere, and the prices are on par with other BBQ places in the area. Clean and friendly.

• Visited June 2013