“Disappointing as a museum.”

Crystal Palace and Museum
Ranked #1 of 39 things to do in Bakersfield
More attraction details
Owner description: Combination theater and a museum housing memorabilia spanning Buck Owens' 40 year career in country music.
Folsom, CA
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Disappointing as a museum.”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

As huge fan of Buck Owens and other Bakersfield musicians, I was really looking forward to stopping in here enroute to L.A. I was disappointed to find that the restaurant was closed, as I got there too early. With it being Buck Owens' place in Bakersfield, I had envisioned it being busy throughout the day, but if you get there before 5 pm, nothing is happening. The dining hall and stage are in the middle of what serves as the museum, so be sure to go at dinner time when you can view the artifacts for free. I paid the $5 entrance and was pretty disappointed. Standard Hard Rock Cafe stuff. We were the only ones there, and it felt like we were wandering through a closed restaurant. I kept expecting someone to confront me and ask me what I was doing in there! His big old Cadillac was cool to see. I would have liked to see something along the lines of a video presentation or at least some written material on the life and times of the great man. Just a lot of photos of him with celebrities, every plaque or letter of appreciation ever given to him must be hanging on those walls. Some guitars and gold record displays, a few Nudie suits. They didn't even have any Buck Owens tunes playing in the place. I'm sure I would have had a different opinion had I attended a concert and/or had dinner there. It looks like it would be a fun place to do that. But as a museum, not so much.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Kevin95630

Tweed Heads, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great night”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This place was a fun night out, friendly locals, comboy music, line-dancing!! It was our saving grace while staying at the disgusting Days Inn, Bakersfield. Kept us sane.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank coolyback
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Not just for the local yokel!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The Crystal Palace is a fun place to go, but you have to buy into the whole country theme. The chicken fried steak is awesome in a down-home-stick-to-your-ribs kind of way. Don't expect any healthy or diet options. It is a really great place to see a live show, due to the intimate size. Yee-haw!!!!

1 Thank TravelStylista
Exton, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“great place to eat”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

great place to get a really good meal its southern food cali style go on a day where they have live music and dancing. i am a line dancer back on the east coast and got to do some line dancing there. food is top notch i reccomend the kebobs ( steak kebobs with veggies, rice and grean beans with bacon, they give you these biscuits with honey butter it is the best part of the meal portions are so huge you have to take some home

Visited January 2013
1 Thank hyechica
Bakersfield, California, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“We enjoyed our visit.”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We recently went to see Mark Chestnut. The show was great. So was the food and service. We will visit here again.

Visited November 2012