“Not well maintained, dirty, misadvertising”

Knights Inn & Suites Bakersfield
Ranked #47 of 62 Hotels in Bakersfield
Fresno, California, United States
“Not well maintained, dirty, misadvertising”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

I've stayed at a lot of cheap motels, and this is the worst motel stay ever! When we arrived at our first room a guy was in there and kept saying curtain, curtain and pointing to a curtain fixing being done and pointed us back to the front desk (he could hardly speak english, just like the man and woman at the front desk). So we then got sent to a room upstairs. The bathroom light did not turn on and it was pitch black in there. We couldn't get it fixed because the woman at the front desk didn't understand what we were saying. So we had to keep the bathroom door open to be able to see in there at all. Awful! The shower floor was extremely slippery when dry, before even turning the water on. It felt like there was some very slippery residue of something in there, I almost slipped twice. There was staining on the bed sheets and pillows. Pillows were very uncomfortable and made my neck hurt. Never slept on uncomfortable pillows before (never even in cheaper motels). The bed itself was comfortable, but we paid the rate for the king size and we were given a queen size and we were not refunded the difference. No wireless internet connection was available as they advertised. They also advertised wired connection, but apparently you have to bring your own ethernet cable for that, so we couldn't use the internet. We got a non-smoking room because we can't tolerate smoke odors, and at night the strong stench of marijuana seeped under our door from someone else's room, so we had to put towels under our door to block it. The carpet was very dirty and there was a dead worm on it. There were also food crumbs on top of the bed spread when we arrived. The place was very noisy with people coming and going until midnight, and then began again at 5 am, so I only got 5 hours of sleep (which wasn't very restful due to bad pillows). We checked out at 7 am, and there were no pastries left so my husband didn't get breakfast because he doesn't like cereal and those are the only 2 options (should have grabbed him one when they had a whole seven of them at 6:30). What I thought was orange juice at the breakfast, was very watery orange drink made from powder (Tang or something like it). Had to eat my cereal on their dirty couch by the front desk (no tables). I chose this place because it had amazing reviews on expedia.com, and I've stayed at other Knights Inns that are great. I think this location is just very poorly managed. I just got home from there, and my neck is itchy and has a red rash. I'm thinking either something there bit me or I was allergic to something on the bed or something. Also, while I was eating breakfast by the front desk, another guest asked them for an iron because it was apparently missing from their room, and they couldn't understand him either, and sent him away without an iron. My husband also agrees this is the worst motel ever, and neither of us will ever stay there again.

Room Tip: a tip to choose a good room is to choose a room at a different motel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank akuma_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

Our car got broken into a vandalized in their parking lot, about 20 feet from the hotel lobby entrance. The management didn't care and wouldn't offer a refund. The entire passenger side door of our car needs to be replaced, not worth saving the money on this crap hotel. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere a few dollars more expensive to get out of the ghetto.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Claire D
Fresno, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

There were blood spots on my blanket so I put it on the floor. The side tables were all sticky, they hadn't been wiped down. There was human ejaculate on the carpet and liquefied roach on the coffee tray. The bathroom seemed fairly clean. No soap, no shampoo, no nothing. I count myself lucky I didn't get bedbugs. Ended up a bit cold since I had no blanket.

Room Tip: Don't go here!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

This motel is located a little out of wibble downtown. The location is quiet, but there is not much going on within walking distance to the motel. Groceries, restaurants are within 3-8min driving distance.

Don't be deceived by the look of the motel. it doesn't look like much, in fact the reception area is downright shabby: the carpet needs changing, the only sofa there is peeling off, I was very worried when I checked in. but the room turned out to be surprisingly good: quite spacious, clean and nice bathroom. Room is equipped comfortable beds, fridge, microwave, flat screen TV, iron, desk with free cable as well as wifi internet. On the downside, there is no views from my room's window, only white brick wall of next door establishment. The family running the motel is very friendly and try to help you as much as they could. there is a simple continental breakfast in the morning.

Overall, i feel that the motel feels more like family establishment rather than a knight's inn. It gives very good value for the USD40/night I paid, soon as I closed one eye on the reception and corridors...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank charoline
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

Hated this place only used it on a stop to san fran, as nothing to do in bakersfield. The hotel was old fashioned the room felt dirty, found cigarette buts in drawes and shelves, showing they arent cleaned very well, the bath had scum all over it, couldnt wait to leave and disinfect myself yuk!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2010

After a long drive from the Mojave Desert we arrived to the hotel at 10:30pm. The main door was locked and we had to check in at a side window. We stood in the wind for minutes before getting the hotel key.

Room was comfortable with a larger size bathroom designed for the disabled. A LCD tv, microwave and mini fridge are something we didn't expect for the price for a night.

We checked out at 8AM and with the parking lot still full, there were only one piece of danish and 1/4 jug of orange juice left at the breakfast table.

I'm not sure if I would stay at this hotel again. There is nothing wrong with the hotel (except the breakfast part) but I didn't feel safe in the area when I had to check in at a side window with all main doors locked at the front, and with a wooden block and towel blocking the hole in the side window.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Wayn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2009

On the coming back from our trip from Sacramento to Los Angeles, we found this beautiful hotel out of our expectation. We stayed for 2 nights with whole family with such an amazing comfort and friendly environment in Bakersfield city. Strickingly noticing part of the hotel was cleanliness and maintainance of the rooms and hotel inspite of brand new opening in within last year. Near to the freeway 99, still not even a single disturbance from ongoing traffic, I would say pin drop silence during night. Thank you for a such a beautiful stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business