New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Bakersfield North-Airport

Hampton Inn & Suites Bakersfield North-Airport
Ranked #2 of 61 Hotels in Bakersfield
Oregon
“New property on edge of town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Nice, quiet, new property. A typical Hampton with good-sized rooms and standard breakfast (I enjoyed the boxed cereals for variety instead of the standard three choice, bulk dispensers). For those near the ice machine, nice to have the machine in it's own room (quiet).
Odd how the mattresses slipped around on the box springs. My wife thought the sink was too high.
A sparse neighborhood, but still had a Denny's, Del Taco, Starbucks, Jack-in-the-Box,and gas station all near. McDonalds a block away.
Convenient to Hwy 99.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank weloveRtrips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

After a long drive from Death Valley, we staggered into the gracious lobby and was greeted by the very friendly front desk person. After given a rundown of the facility, we were told that there was a Wine and Beer reception for the guests. Initially we thought it was a private venue but surprisingly it was for all. After checking into our room, which was immaculate and very comfortable, we enjoyed our "tea-time" before heading out to dinner.

Back to the room, we had a most comfortable stay in a small suite, which was situated at the end of the hallway. I'd request this again since there was no other foot traffic down the hall and far away from the elevator and ice machine.

Breakfast was another treat. Not only was the service area stocked with the usual breakfast items, but there was also hot eggs & cheese and Canadian bacon, along with the infamous 2 minute waffle iron and fresh fruit. This was a treat since we usually don't eat much more than cereal and some fruit. The person handling the service area was friendly and helpful, always keeping the place clean and had no issues cleaning and restocking the area.

I was pleasantly surprised and very happy for this experience. As far as location was concerned, glad we were here away from the congestion of the downtown area. Felt very safe here and used AAA discount too! Thank you very much and we'll be back.

Room Tip: Splurge a little and get the suite on the 3rd or 4th floors. Large room and very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OnVacation415
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

The hotel is pretty nice and clean. Perhaps it's not that old either. I don't think the area is nice. I booked this hotel after reading a review from someone who claimed to use to live in Bakersfield and on her review she said it's the safest area in Bakersfield. She's obviously either lied about the area or about living in Bakersfield. The area is kind of deserted. There's only Dennys and La Quinta Inn. There's a gas station and Harley Davidson office? Doesn't look too scummy but definitely there are better areas in Bakersfield than this for sure.

The hotel itself is clean and pretty standard. Free parking and free high speed internet. The room is clean and spacious but the TV was small. The breakfast which was included in their room rate was quite awful. Every hot food they had were gone. If you could wait, they would add a bit of scrambled eggs, bacon, and potatoes. Basically just toast a bagel or have some cereals. Even the orange juice was out. There's only 1 person in the breakfast area. I guess they want to save money by hiring only 1 person and 1 cook??? There were quite a few cars in the parking lot so the least they could do was hire more people to serve their guests.

Will not return if I need to stay in Bakersfield again which is very doubtful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank World Passport
Durango, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

A culture of fear among the staff resulting in poor customer service and attitude. If you are arriving at the Bakersfield airport expecting a shuttle to this property, it may not be available. Be prepared to take a taxi and provide the driver with a tip because the hotel won't pay the driver's tip. Front desk staff are cold and uncaring and make you feel that it's a bother to serve you. Other staff showed similar attitudes. My colleague, who also stayed at the same property on the same evening, also experienced poor customer service. We think it's a systemic issue driven by management.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank Ed F
laura p, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Bakersfield North-Airport, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Hello Mr. Fry,

First I would like to extend my apologies to you for any complications during your stay. I understand that you are upset regarding you recent stay here at the Hampton Inn Bakersfield North Airport. I do my best to maintain the best possible Staff and I do my best to make sure we are always with in Brand Standards and practices. Unfortunately Soy Milk is not and approved product for us to offer at this point and time. I am glad to suggest it to our brand standards and as it becomes available I would be more than happy to offer it for all of our guests. I understand that some hotels will choose to carry such items but I personally choose not to go outside the Approved Products list as I find it much more difficult to remember the items to “cover up” during a routine Hilton Inspection. I do hope that Hilton soon chooses to approve the product as we do have several guests that would love the alterative.
Our shuttle services are available Monday – Friday 4:30am – 5 pm and of course anytime we are not available to drive the van we will always pay for the cab services. Unfortunately we cannot extend the tip to the driver as it is not included on the receipt.
Again I do apologize if you felt my staff was uncaring during your visit and believe me it will be a topic of discussion at our next meeting as our guests are the MOST important part of the hotel. I do wish that you would have given me the opportunity to speak to you while you were here as this issue was not brought to my attention until most recent. I am always more than happy to speak to our guests regarding any matter.
Have a wonderful day and I do hope you will give us another chance on your next visit to Bakersfield.
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had an enjoyable one-night stay at this Hampton Inn. Staff very friendly and the place is very clean and quiet. Our room had everything we needed, a microwave and small fridge. Breakfast was great (waffle iron!). There is a Denny's within walking distance. Easy on and off the freeway.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I was driving from SoCal and was going to stay in Tehachapi but bad weather caused me to keep driving north so I wouldn't get stuck on the pass. I made a reservation online and was at the hotel in an hour -- the staff knew of my reservation and greeted me warmly. That was the first pleasant surprise to my stay. The room was very clean and modern and the toiletries were very nice. Wi-fi was free and not only did they have a free breakfast (which I didn't take part of), they also had free beer at night in the lobby lounge. In all my travels, I've never seen that without having to upgrade to a "club" or "elite" level room. Checkout was just as easy as checking in. Overall, a really pleasant overnight stay and even though it was a low priced hotel, it felt much more upscale with its amenities, features and staff. One word of caution: keep an eye on your map! If you leave the hotel and go right, you'll head south on Highway 99. You have to turn left when leaving if you want to continue north.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank matthew550
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Hampton Inn Bakersfield North Airport--Exceptional service to fix a "travel problem" I created. The desk staff and management helped me greatly and did so without a flinch. Thanks to Angel, Veronica, and Jennifer. They have the "hospitality" mindset. Well done.
Facilities were Hampton Inn standard--outstanding, comfortable, clean, roomy.
Free Breakfast was well-stocked, fresh, and delicious.
On my LA to NorCal and back trips, I will again go out of my way to stay at this location right off CA-99 rather than the I-5 options which have consistently left me disappointed. Northbound, this is a great stop to get out of the LA basin after evening rush hour.
Bottom Line: I'll return!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends