“Shake = yay. Coffee = ugh.”
Review of The Mad Greek

The Mad Greek
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Baker
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Bend, Oregon
“Shake = yay. Coffee = ugh.”
Reviewed December 1, 2008

I stopped by here twice on my last road trip, first on the way out to the desert, and again a week later after being in Death Valley. The first stop wasn't anything special - the generic philly sandwich and fries was pretty forgettable. The mr ordered a large strawberry shake and it was pretty darn good - even the two of us sharing couldn't finish it. I was left with a pretty neutral impression, though I do agree that it was definitely overpriced for the quality of the food.

On the return trip we stopped for breakfast around 9 am. I ordered the gyro omelet and was blown away. Wow it was tasty! The side hashbrowns were too greasy and the toast was cold and burned, but all I needed was that omelet. Yummmmmy.

The shake and the omelet turned what would be a 2 rating into a 4.

Oh, the coffee was terrible. Don't bother.

1 Thank SierraBackpacker

• Hungarian first
los angeles
“Mad Greek Cafe and all the other "Gyros" places (i would say "BAH places"”
Reviewed October 31, 2008

I have to say, as greek i am ashamed there is such a place wjo sells gyros and destroys actually the name of this very good dish.

Awful grey ground beef meat, same like all the gyros places around CA, i assume there is a company who supplies that meat, its awful.

Gyros is never made of ground beef, you will find no ground beef gyros in greece ever.

Shame on the owners, i wish them a nice bankrupcy

3 Thank the_greekLosAngeles
Utah
“Not good.”
Reviewed October 17, 2008

Very expensive and not very tasty. The meal got worse when we continued our drive to LA as it didn't sit well with any of us.

We think they meant to call the place "The Bad Greek".

2 Thank Zhapekanovich
Vancouver, Washington
“Used to be good before...”
Reviewed August 1, 2008

This place use to be great before all the Greeks in the kitchen turned into Mexicans. I'm sure they do a fine job with Mexican food but haven't the slightest idea how to prepare Greek food. I use to stop in every time I made a trip to Vegas. No longer worth it, overpriced and the food isn't Greek anymore.

4 Thank Womaninthewaves
Roseburg, Oregon
“The Mad Greek in Baker, CA....USED to be our "on the way to Vegas" favorite...”
Reviewed July 25, 2008

We have been going to this California staple for years but after our last experience, I doubt we will ever go back. The restaurant (out in the middle of the desert) was unbelievably hot. They have air conditioning, but it didn't seem to be on. We ordered and after waiting 30 minutes for gyros and burgers (over $50 for 2 adults and 2 kids!) we finally went to ask about our order and were told "it's coming right out" which it didn't for another 15 minutes. When it came, the rice was cold, the gyro meat was dry, my daughter's hamburger was nearly raw (which we didn't discover until she'd eaten about 1/2 of it), my pita bread was stale and cold, but my wife's was actually really good. As we were dining we noticed that their restaurant rating certificate, which was posted on the SIDE door out to the blazing patio, not the front entrance door, was a "B". (I generally try to only go to those rated "A"). After doing research online I found that they have been rated "B" since June of 2007, and even had a "C" in 2006! The bathrooms were filthy and the whole restaurant looked dirty. I hated to write this review about such a California/Vegas trip institution, but I hope to save others the experience and hope that someone with some influence there will get a clue and return it to its former standards we so enjoyed.

5 Thank dmptruck