“Don't miss dinner stop in the road to Vegas”
Review of The Mad Greek

The Mad Greek
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Baker
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed August 7, 2013

What a great place to stop in the way to Vegas! I most eat Greek food at Greek festivals (when it's invariably cooked by church ladies) or at a friend's house, and this could almost rival the home made stuff. Indeed, what I really liked about it is just how homemade it tasted. To me that means coarser flavors and less perfect textures, but with a sense of soul.

We tried the chicken dinner and the gyro. The chicken tasted just like the marinated chicken you get at festivals. It was very tasty and moist, we licked our fingers. It came with seasoned rice (who knows? maybe it's just rice cooked in chicken broth), which was both satisfying and delicious. The pita bread was quite good and the tzatziki sauce was fresher and brighter than any I'd have before.

The gyro was good, a bit salty as it's usually the case, with a good proportion of meat to other stuff.

The one problem we had was with the bean and cheese burrito my daughter ordered (they have Mexican food as well, which makes sense given that their whole cooking/serving staff appears to be Mexican). The girls felt the tortilla was too sour (I agree) and the beans tasted weird. My husband thought it was good, but his taste are broader than the girls' .

I took home a cream cheese pastry ($4, I think), which was overpriced but delicious.

I'll definitely make a point of stopping here when going to Vegas again.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stopped here on the way to Las Vegas and had a very poor experience. The lady supervisor was rude to my husband and impatient while ordering. We ordered a gyro and a strawberry shake to split. The gyro was over-priced terribly stale and the shake tasted artificial. We asked them to remake our gyro and they did, only to still taste slightly stale ( the breading ). We got our money back on the shake as it tasted terribly artificial, not what a true strawberry shake should taste like.
The supervisor would not refund our money with the gyro even tho we were highly dissatisfied with the entire experience. We won't be back.

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Food is served in large portions with reasonable prices. I'd recommend eating there rather than getting it to go for eating in the car. The Gyro is tasty roasted lamb a unique with tzatzaki sauce. The salad is fresh and refreshing. The Spanakopita is flavorful and the deserts are fantastic.

The Resturant is in the desert and will be crowded so don't expect to step in and cool off. It is easy to find seating. It's worth the stop for great food and am unexpected cullenary delight.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stopped here while on the road from LA to Vegas. Their gyro was good, but it was almost too large to eat in the car.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

My brother convinced me to stop here, saying it had great food and was featured on Triple D. I don't know if his taste buds are shot, or expectations are lower than mine, but my food was awful. I had a pastrami and cheese sandwich that came with a large order of your standard frozen french fries. The pastrami had an enormous amount of gristle, to the extent that some of the sandwich was not chewable, and I had to spit it out.

I have driven past this place dozens of times, and I will continue to do so in the future. Yuck! Unfortunately, the only other choice of non-fast food restaurants in Baker is the Bun Boy (Bob's Big Boy franchise) and it is equally awful. And don't get me started on gas prices $$$.

Plan your trip so you can avoid this little tourist trap town. Gas up and food up in Barstow or Vegas and skip Baker entirely - maybe it will go away.