“It met our needs”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Wills Fargo Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Baker
Wills Fargo Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Baker
Morro Bay, California
“It met our needs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

Seems like it was the only place in town that was still open. Anyway, the room price was stated at $65 on their list but she told us it was only $55. That made the decision easier considering it is the only motel in the middle of nowhere. It is amazing that I have had to pay more for much less on other occasions at other motels.
The room was large. Yes, the furniture was funky but it was more than what I have seen in many motels. No problem with plumbing. Not much space to hang things but we got by with no problem. Slept very well on the large bed. The place wasn't full so it looked like they spaced everyone in every other room. That is pretty considerate if the walls might be thin. Can't really comment on that but we heard no one. Very clean.
Didn't have time to use the pool but it looked fine.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wapakk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Surprise
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

Pros: good bed, good TV, no bugs, clean room
Cons: Desperately in need of a remodel! You didn't dare touch the furniture as it might fall apart. No phone in room. Bathroom from the 1940's, pink tile, turquoise sink, poor draining shower. No shelves or counter in bathroom. It took 5 minutes to get hot water for the shower and if you turned on the sink, the hot water was gone for the shower. No heat in the bathroom. Two separate heaters in the room and it took both to warm up the room - very noisy. Electric plug for one heater was falling out of the wall. No nightstands, alarm clock and no coffee. Vertical blinds falling apart and almost useless. No throw rugs for the tile floor throughout the whole room. The grounds had old mattresses, washers and miscellaneous other objects stacked outside in a heap. Too pricey for what you get, but it is Baker, California and the only remaining motel.

Room Tip: Stay in Nevada!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GlendaZ
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

My son and I spent two nights here while exploring the nearby Mojave National Preserve. Having read all the reviews on this site before booking the room, our expectations were very low, but we booked it anyway because there were no real alternatives, since the other two motels in Baker -- one of which (Bun Boy) has now apparently gone out of business --looked a lot worse.

We were prepared to rough it, and we were pleasantly surprised. No, it ain't the Ritz, or even Motel 6, and the furnishings were a bit shabby, but our room was spacious, clean, and comfortable, and convenient for exploring the Mojave, if a bit overpriced for the value. The Mad Greek Diner right next door had decent, cheap food for breakfast and dinner, even if its "decor" was way over-the-top kitschy.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone on an expedition similar to ours.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank Gil K
Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

We spent several days exploring Death Valley and then headed to the Mojave Desert and Route 66 -- this motel (one of only a few in tiny Baker) was our base camp for two nights. I believe we were the only folks there, but then it was early January, hardly peak tourist season. The room was gigantic, could have roller skated in there, with 11 foot cielings and a linoleum floor. The furniture was a hoot --nothing matched and there was little of it. Sort of looked like the forlorn remnants of a garage sale. We had to go outside and swipe a couple of plastic yard chairs from the emptied pool area to have something to sit on besides the bed. And the shower was a dark cubicle that they had hung on the outside of the bathroom after cutting a hole in the wall. Hilarious! Felt like we were in a Coen Brothers movie. But it was handy, clean and quiet, had hot water, heat, decently comfortable bed and a TV. Kind of missed having a fridge and coffee maker but we had a cooler with us and could walk to a diner that had coffee. Really was all we needed. Best part was you could walk to the "Alien Beef Jerky" store right next door. I'll post a review of that later, but it should not be missed.

Room Tip: Pretty much all the same except for different assortments of thrift store furnishings. It ain't...
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank brickpilot
Carshalton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

Stayed overnight in this Motel as we were driving up to Yosemite National Park, the room was big and pretty clean.

There was no fridge in the room and you had to get ice from the check-in desk each time.

The shower in the bathroom was completely unusable, the water was literally spraying all over the bathroom (a few drops might hit your head if you were lucky!)

For $80-$90 it wasn't the best motel we stayed in on our road trip, not too much to do in Baker either.

My advice, travel a bit further if you can or else stay no more than one night.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank k_dopson
Temecula
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

After breaking down 25 miles outside of Baker we were towed back to town and dropped the car off at the only mechanic in town. The tow truck driver recommended we stay at the Bun Boy (one of two hotels). He said the Bun Boy and the Wills Fargo were owned by the same people so it didn't matter either way. Luckily i had my wife check Tripadvisor and she said do not stay at Bun Boy. As i was checking in, i read her text and left to go to the Wills Fargo. It was a bit scary to look at. The decor is from the salvation army, but it was clean and the AC worked (which we really needed). We were in room 23. The pool was actually very clean and nice to hang out in while we waited for our car to be fixed. The asian lady at the front desk said initially that we could not have a late check out, but then decided to give us another half an hour. I thought that was nice considering the fact that i believe we were the only ones staying there. All in all it was an adventure I hope not to repeat, but the Wills Fargo made it better than I expected. On yeah, it was me and 4 little kids!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

I have never stayed In hotel like wills Fargo. This hotel made me thankful I don't live In the deserts of California. Let me start with the "California bugs". Waking up to cockroaches in your shoes is mortifying!! I now know why they have tile floors! (so cockroaches can't lay there eggs on the carpet!)

When I seen the cockroaches I took them straight to the hotel keeper, where I was told that it was out of their control, that they sprayed for them, but apparently they walked in when I walked into my room! The hotel keeper refused to comp my room because " this is the desert, and there's lots of different species of bugs".

When I tried calling to speak 2 a manager, I was informed by a female worker that "I stayed in a motel , not a hotel". I didn't realize that the customer service was any different between the two.

My advice to anyone passing thru is to just keep going. Baker and Barstow are infested with cockroaches as I also seen a dead one on the floor of Jack in the box in Barstow. Not only did the cockroaches completely gross me out, but my trip took 2 hrs longer than needed cause I had to find a laundry mat, to wash and dry the he'll out of my things, so I wouldn't bring home any "friends" with me! I wouldn't reccomend this hotel to anyone! Not even my worst enemy!

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Wills Fargo Motel? Share your experiences!