“DIRTY!!!!”
Review of Dirst Cabins

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yellville
Dirst Cabins
“DIRTY!!!!”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Stayed in cabins 1 & 2 cabins both were filthy! Spent $80 on cleaning supplies and the first night doing nothing but cleaning. I don't believe anyone had ever dusted. We cleaned think dust from ceilings, walls, floors, rugs. Rolled up the rug in living room thought floor under is was discolored nope it was just dirt! Stove was very small and oven didn't work properly. Don't know anything about the dishes because we brought our own. Furniture was very worn we used a ton of Lysol. The barbecue grills unusable luckily we brought one. Porches weren't swept off I mean not leaves but filth. It rained some when we were there - outside cabin 2 when it rained we could smell sewer. Lawns were not mowed. I will say we never saw a roach or mouse thank god but the filth was so bad we will never be back.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Becky72527

Solo
Business
Box Elder, South Dakota
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We checked into cabin #4, the Bunkhouse, for a two night stay starting on 21 June. The place was so nasty, dirty, and bug infested that we started to leave that night. The toilet still had poo in it and wouldn't flush. I walked across the street to tell the owner and heard “And we just had that place cleaned too.” Someone did fix the toilet while we were out.

Upon returning to our cabin and further observation we noticed several uninviting, unsanitary, or unsafe conditions:
1) the kitchen had a non-working (turned off) stinking refrigerator with mold growing in the freezer.
2) the kitchen walls were spattered with food, and other walls throughout had ‘stuff’ on them.
3) dust and cobwebs COVERED the plant in the corner of the main room.
4) bugs and bug bodies were everywhere, they covered the window sills, they poured from the light fixture, and even our bed. And did I mention the roaches?
5) the furniture was so dirty, and/or worn the we sat in the rocker or dining room chairs only.
6) the bathroom sinks looked as though they might fall at any time.
7) the floor in front of a second (working) refrigerator was so spongy that I feared I might fall through.
8) no hot water (they reset the heater breaker in the morning, amongst a flurry of excuses).
9) we had to wonder about the trim that showed the doors had been pulled from there hinges and rehung in reverse.

We slept in a comforter cover brought from home as a hedge from bugs and stained sheets.

We checked out the next morning, expecting a refund for the unspent night, WRONG. After a long day canoeing the Buffalo River, we returned to verify our cancelation and refund. I was told if “If I can rent it for the weekend, I’ll refund your money.” I told her that maybe it was due to 20 years in the military, but that I couldn’t take staying that dirty cabin. She responded that “We rent that cabin every weekend and you’re the first person to complain.” I offered to walk her over to the cabin a show her exactly what was wrong with the cabin. She declined, then then went on to call me “OCD”

I called back the next week to ask about the refund, and was told it was told I wouldn’t get a refund. I then reminded them;
1) It was due to the unsanitary and unsafe conditions of their property that we changed our plans.
2) We were never told of a cancelation policy at check-in or at check-out.
3) We check out before the check-out time of 10:00.
4) I was insulted at being labeled “OCD.”

A few days later the owner called and left a message stating she would refund our money for the second night. I removed my first review for editing and updating after receiving an email saying my post was read seven times in seven days. I hope future travelers will have a better experience then we did.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TJ F

Travelers are raving about these Yellville hotels

Little Rock, AR
Reviewed June 25, 2007

On June 22 we rented a cabin from Dirst Cabins & Canoe Rentals for 2 nights. We checked in late and didn't bother to inspect the cabin prior to paying in advance. WHAT A MISTAKE!! Where do I begin? Upon arrival the most obvious things we discovered was the absolute filth, dust covered everything from the floors to the A/C unit. We turned on the televison and surprise it would not work ( we were told someone stole the remote and they didn't bother to replace it) AND the charcoal grill we were promised was no where to be found.
Upon further investigation the "lovely" screened in porch they advertised was all ripped up, so bascially useless in keeping bugs and mosquitos away. We didn't discover all the "other surprises" until the next morning............
I got up the next morning to make breakfast and the oven would not work. We called the office at 830am and they said they would send someone with maintenance to get it repaired. By 1030am we still had not seen anyone.
The kids were playing upstairs (waiting for breakfast) when they found a sheet under one of the beds COVERED in mouse droppings. Instead of calling the office yet again my husband went over to talk to them about how utterly filthy this cabin was and rather than staying the second night we preferred to check out and return home. They WOULD NOT refund our money and offered to come and clean the cabin again to which we agreed.
We advised them we would be gone for several hours and told them where all the droppings were and left all the cabinets open so they could see the filth. When we returned the cabin was just as filthy as when we left, the mouse droppings were still under the sink and they didn't bother to sweep under the beds as we had discussed. All droppings were still there.

Not all the cabins in Yellville are this nasty we have stayed in others that are absolutely beautiful...JUST NOT THIS ONE. In addition to writing this review I have contacted the Chamber of Commerce and I am sending them a hand written letter similar to this one with a copy going to Dirst Cabins. If this saves one family from renting from this so-called establishment it will be worth it.

13 Thank Sabyn1

Been to Dirst Cabins? Share your experiences!