“Great Holiday”

Rhodes Beach Resort Negril
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Green Island
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Rhodes resort is a hidden gem in Jamaica and part of me doesn't want to write anything to keep it hidden ...maybe that's why it has taken me over a year to write a review :)
first I have booked a 5 star resort in runaway bay, but closer to time had a look on Tripadvisor and saw this place. It only had under 30 reviews, but all they were so good and since it sounded like a perfect gateway I decided to take a risk and come to Rhodes resort instead.
Me and my mum stayed in Coconut room at the sea view cottage, on the first floor. The room was huge with two double beds, one on the mezzanine level and one in the main room, a kitchenette and balcony overlooking the ocean with sunset view. You could even see the sunset from jacuzzi in the room :)
As for activities, there are few things you can do, such as swimming with horses, visit to alligator lake and snorkeling. If you like to snorkel - the best place to stay! There is a few miles long (!!) coral reef only few hundred meters away from the place, reachable from the beach - all you need is to pop your flippers on and off you go. The underwater world there is quite diverse, we got to see the most amazing variety of fish, the highlights were 2m stingray just few feet to my left, a barracuda and making friends with a puffer fish family leaving nearby the concrete dock (you can see the dock in some pictures of other reviewers). No wasting time in taxi, no boat rides and no stress. Even better if you have a wet suit - as you can stay in the water for a good few hours.
The staff at the resort was always friendly, helpful and could organize any tours you want, but despite having rented a car we ended up spending all the time snorkeling along the reef.
We have been to quite a few fancy restaurants in neighboring areas, but came to a conclusion that the food at the resort restaurant was the best dining option. Especially I would recommend to try their jerk chicken - hand down the best jerk chicken in Jamaica we had...and we did try quite a few different places!
Overall the big family feel at the resort and the most relaxing, stress free holiday I have ever had.
Thank you so much, only good memories about my stay :)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Victoria A

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Rhodes Resort is a truly incredible place to come and literally get away from it all in a gorgeous tropical setting. My husband and I came here for our babymoon over New Years 2012-2013, spending a week at Rhodes. We wanted someplace that would be relaxing and just beautiful, and Rhodes certainly delivered on those accounts. Rhodes Plantation is DEFINITELY romantic. Very secluded. There isn't a lot to do - except there is good snorkeling, scuba, horseback riding (I couldn't do scuba or horseback riding since I was pregnant, but we still enjoyed lots of snorkeling) but it is a great place to just turn off your brain and relax. I would rate it 3.5/5 stars.

We chose Rhodes because it was the cheapest option and because we generally try to avoid the big, touristy, impersonal places when traveling. We had kind of mixed opinions, though.

Pros:
Gorgeous location, really quiet, you won't get hassled by strangers, it is really small and so few people are there at once (it was peak season when we went and there were maybe 5 other couples max). If you go into Negril and experience the "famed 7 mile beach" (which isn't all that impressive, I must say), you'll return to Rhodes and appreciate the quiet tranquility of the PRIVATE beach and not having strangers approach you all the time trying to sell you knick-knacks or marijuana. There are animals all over the place! Beautiful peacocks are the obvious favorite, but there are also chickens and roosters, horses, and alligators (kept separate, obviously).

Cons:
The options for food are really limited. You can get an "all inclusive" plan at the resort but it is expensive and honestly, we did not like the food at all (which was a huge disappointment because we had read such glowing reviews of the food in particular on this site). There is complimentary breakfast (2 slices toast and 2 mini doughnuts and coffee or tea - and sometimes they are out of things like milk or jam...) but the meals are really not great and run like $14-20 each dish. One night I ordered a pizza and it tasted like a cheap frozen pizza with bologna slices in place of pepperoni. We brought a lot of snacks with us in advance, and were really glad we did. Also, the food service was horrendous. My husband nearly lost his mind one day when he ordered a grilled chicken sandwich at the "beach grill" and it took - no joke - over an HOUR to get it...and there were a total of 2 other people eating at the time. I've been to about 10 countries in the Caribbean, and believe me, I understand "island time" mentality, but that was absurd. I wish we could say that was an isolated instance - as a general rule of thumb, the food service was slower than slow each and every time we dined.

Also, the closest town (Negril) is an 8 mile or so drive away. We were under the impression that it was really expensive to go into Negril b/c Rhodes offers taxi trips in - for about $35 ROUND TRIP. My husband and I thought there must be a cheaper way so we literally left the grounds of the resort and stood on the side of the road and just hailed taxi cabs (the certified drivers have red plates). We got into town and back on average for $10. Negril is really crowded and we are glad we didn't stay in the town itself, but we liked going to different restaurants (and stocking up on goodies at the supermarket) to change things up a bit. If you stay at Rhodes, I would recommend going to town as soon as you arrive and getting some food items to keep in your room (as long as you have a fridge).

Neither good nor bad:
The rooms. Our bed was comfortable enough, the bathroom was fine - really, no complaints on the room based on how much we paid. Our TV never worked (we were told upon check-in that it often did not and we weren't too bummed about it anyway). HOWEVER, I did return to the States with several odd bites that appeared to be bed bug bites. I've never had them before nor since, and there is no way to know if I got them at the resort, but....it did make me wonder.

In all, I WOULD probably go back if I were headed to this part of Jamaica, knowing what I know now about heading into Negril (and using local taxis) to dine and buy groceries/snacks. Rhodes is really a gorgeous, one-of-a-kind location with unbelievable natural splendor, but would be a lot better with higher quality food and service.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Juliet A
Reviewed May 29, 2013

May 2013, was planning on booking online with a company that arranges flight and hotel packages to stay at the Rhodes Resort. The online booking was problematic and I ended up originally with just the flight and no room at Rhodes Resort and possibly no flight at all. I called Rhodes Resort the next day and I spoke with the woman who runs the resort (this is supposedly a family run resort, which you would think would make communications more intimate and friendly) and explained that I might not have a flight and would she hold the rooms that day until I found out, and she said as long as I called by the end of the day that would be fine at no charge. I ended up with no flight, called that day and the owners refused to refund my deposit as their POLICY is no refund if you cancel within 30 days of the visit. They offered to hold my money so I could visit next year. You would think that a husband and wife team versus a big hotel would be more amenable but not this couple. My credit card company is now in dispute with this resort. BEWARE!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Maria R
RhodesResort, Manager at Rhodes Beach Resort Negril, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Our cancellation policy is standard in the hotel business. Our resort is small and especially vulnerable to last minute cancellations so we cannot compete with the all-inclusive resort. Our cancellation policy is posted on our website and online when booking with third party travel agencies that arrange and bundle flight and hotel packages at discounted rates. We did offer to apply their deposit to a future stay, however, they declined.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I were in Jamaica during spring break. We typically like to mix it up - stay for a couple of days in the busy part and spend the rest in a peaceful place. So we divided our stay between Negril and Rhodes Hall Plantation. I am so glad we chose to stay at Rhodes Hall Resort. It is one of the best places we have stayed in.

As soon as we arrived, Jefferson explained the various amenities, areas of the resort and provided us with a cellphone to directly communicate with him. How cool is that! The room does not have a phone, but who needs one? Jefferson is an honest, super hard working and funny guy. We were in splits every time we heard his one liners. The other staff members are very professional and warm.

The room was clean and super spacious. To our surprise there was a jacuzzi in our room! It had the basic necessities and felt cozy. The breakfast choices (included the package) are limited, they can certainly do a better job there. But you can order from the restaurant menu. We ate dinner once at the restaurant and thought it was alright. Loved the beach, reef, scuba diving and the peacocks! The views are top notch. All you need to do is sit on the hammock and day dream. The entire resort is private so you might feel like you are the only one staying there. We did have a water problem on one of the days.

My husband wanted to rent a car but everything was sold out. We used the sharing taxis when we were in Negril and found it easy to navigate around. Rhodes Hall offers free shuttle service but the last one comes back around 5 pm. You can also rent a car with a driver for about $20 from the resort. We hopped on the sharing taxis that we found right outside the resort.

We had an email correspondence with David and Marcelle and found them to be professional, prompt and understanding. Will definitely recommend it for a peaceful and serene vacation.

1  Thank pallaviumarji
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We arrived again:)~Back to our little home for us.This time we brought my bother and sister inlaw this trip of MANY to come:)~(we) At Rhodes are not a guest you are a part of the big family that enjoys your time and views that Rhodes Resort has to offer.This trip we stayed in the Bogogvia(sorry for the spelling)~The pinkinsh house:)~as soon as we arrived Marsel opened arms just like us and the hugs and welcoming us back again to see them.As soon as a staff member reconized,we bump fist and all is well!!! Open the door and the house is VERY CLEAN!!!!~Like new!!!~As soon as we walked in we dropped our luggage in the very big closet.Ran outside checked out our BIG back porch with a AWESOME view of Samuals Bay.We LOVED in the evening times drinking COLD Red Stripe from the resort bar.Or just get Wanye to take you into and get you some beer or food for cooking in your kitchen that has a microwave,toaster,coffee maker,nice big electric stove and nice frig too.ALL the utincels that we needed that are there.We loved doing the cooking there.eat outside enjoying the ocean front.Oh yea Marsel and Dave added hammocks too!!!!~Now thats AWESOME!!!~I tried to stay out of those.To me it made me to relaxed.I'm to engergtic for that.But those are the hit!!!~I drank one Red Stripe in the hammock and told my self I need to get out of this hammock:))~Staff at Rhodes ALWAYS ALWAYS CLEANING!!!~they also added a VERY nice priced gidt shop that has lots of gifts to take to your loved ones:)~(since they didnt come with ya this time)~The reef I swear is growing growing getting big!!!We saw TON of differnt BRITE COLORED fish everywhere!!!~The snorkling at Rhodes IS THE VERY BEST!!!!~Now Delroy,that guy is the BEST freind that we have met in Ja.~You can ask him ANYTHING and he has the answer for it.Either about the ocean,birds,trees,flowers and even ask him how did you just do that stuff!!~VERY knowlegable guy here about everyday life in Ja.~Now there Eldith,the SWEETEST likkle housekeeper that there is!!!!!!~It's all about he hugs and welcomes that ALL lady staff members give.Eldith LOVES Marsel and Dave and ALL of her guest that come and see her or come back and see her again.She LOVES her guest!!!~She WILL take care of you to the best!!!~And now we got Bigga!!!~He runs the horseback riding staff and takes care of the horses and you to make sure your safety and enjoyment of riding with him or his staff members(Rodger or Johnny "on da spot")~Go check the out for a tour on horseback through the 550 acre plantation then to kool of ride the horses into the nice warm SUPER CLEAR water.Its a MUST DO.DO NOT FORGET YOUR CAMERA when you go to Rhodes!!!!!~The grounds are kept up ALL day long cleaning manicuring the prestine grounds.The long driveway gets swept EVERDAY.We love looking and hearing the bamboo crackling.Now the peacocks are spectatulor!!Kevin would be at our back of our porch entertaining us with his struting around flocking out his feathers.All the birds that Rhodes are VERY well taken care of and tended too.Jefferson has LIVE AND DIRECT every wed. and friday.Jefferson is a GREAT GUY here.he loves his country and is very helpful as well!!~The beaches are racked cleaned everyday.Star fish everywhere.We snorkeled EVERYDAY for hours on hours.The infinity pool is great!!!~Showers to wash off your body or just feet if you want.The floral around the grounds the flowers are breathe taking!!!~Agin DO NOT FORGET your camera!!~The ladies in the gift shop and COLD drink center are very pleaston to talk to visit and drink some COLD drinks(like Red Stripe)~We just LOVE the Staff and the gounds that Marsel and Dave have put together!!!!~We are going to try for another trip back to "home" in November.(try to make it)~If not WE WILL ALWAYS RETURN back to Rhodes Resort time after time!!~Again BIG THANKS TO THE ALL THE STAFF at Rhodes Resort!!!!!~Go check them out!!~Its only a 15 mintue ride into Negril to get your Negril fix and hustle.With Ron he can take you into Negril and back with there FREE pick up and delvery!!~See ya'll Soon again!!!~Tell them "Vince" sent ya:)

Room Tip: Just go there you will not go wrong.All the room have ocean front or views
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank acrv06
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The grounds are beautiful, there is a private beach,great snorkeling, the staff is fantastic! The restaurant could use some improvement (food was tasty, but portions not consistent, opt for a room with kitchenette).
The Rhodes is a little rustic, so if you usually stay at large resorts (think Sandals), this is probably not for you. But if you're into low key gems with a friendly, welcoming atmosphere, this is the place. My husband and I are definitely going back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I along with our daughter and son-in-law stayed 5 nights at Rhodes in March. I would recommend this resort to those seeking a quiet getaway and not expecting frills. We were greeted at the airport by our driver Wayne and driven to the resort. He was kind enough to stop at a store so we could exchange some money and buy some snacks. Check in was wonderfully easy. We were taken to our rooms with no lengthy check in process. Our rooms were clean, tidy and satisfactory. Nothing fancy but we weren't looking for that.
The beach was paradise. Small, but plenty of room for sun bathing, swimming and nice shade trees when you've had enough fun in the sun. If you like to snorkel, the coral reef is within swimming distance from the beach which we took advantage of daily.
The grounds were nice and well kept. We enjoyed the peacocks and chickens that roamed freely. All the staff that we encountered at the resort were friendly and helpful. Jefferson, is a fun helpful guy. Don took us on a cave trip that was totally awesome. Logan and Janet at the restaurant were super. The cleaning ladies did a great job and were very friendly. There are other staff that were great also, but can't remember all their names.
We would definitely go back to Rhodes and visit again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
CocoLaPalm Resort
CocoLaPalm Resort
#10 of 80 in Negril

Been to Rhodes Beach Resort Negril? Share your experiences!