“Excellent vacation spot!”

Rhodes Beach Resort Negril
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Green Island
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I have been coming to Rhodes Plantation for years. It is my home away from home. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the atmosphere relaxing and private, the hosts Marcel and Dave are wonderful people who will assist you with any want or need you may have while staying here, the grounds are well maintained and beautiful, and it is a quick bus ride away from Negril. I have tried other resorts in Negril but none can compare to Rhodes Plantation. I can guarantee you will have a truly wonderful Jamaican experience if you stay here! Ya man! Do yourself a favor and stay at the Rhodes Plantation! I promise you won't be disappointed!! Patricia

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank yogatrish

Reviewed August 31, 2011

Rhodes Resort was a slice of heaven! This was my first vacation to the Caribbean and I had the best experience imaginable.

The Booking:
I booked the hotel through the hotel website and had no issues booking (the website often has some great specials you can also book on travelocity)! The rooms were very well priced. I received a conformation from the resort following my booking. Now I wasn't able to go to Jamaica for my original booking in March due to a last minute emergency. I informed the resort and they were very accommodating for the last minute change! I re booked for April.

The Arrival:
When I arrived off the plane from the long journey from NYC, we were immediately greeted by a staff member. Wayne drove us from the airport to the resort. He was so friendly and even made a quick stop at the store for us for toothbrush! He was great our entire trip!! When we arrived Marcelle checked us in immediately. She was even kind enough to offer us and upgraded room. At the time of check in she informed us of all the great activities they had! Wayne kindly brought our things to our room.

The Room:
The room was great! I booked the White house I believe with cathedral ceilings. It was great! I felt like I was in a tree house! There was a fabulous porch over looking the trees and glimpse of the ocean! The room had a great bed and ample space for me and my fiancé! I even loved that there were two sinks one in the wash room and one out.

The Grounds:
The property at the resort is simply amazing. All the stress from NYC melted away. The gardens were amazing!!! The best part is the beaches! There was no one on them! I would go out almost every day and saw no one or maybe one person that was it! The waters were crystal clear and I enjoyed swimming and snorkeling! Every night me and my fiancé would enjoy the amazing sunset they had on a little pier/dock they had. They also and a great pool! There are great animals on the property like peacocks and horses roaming!

The Food:
The food is amazing!!!! Shayne and the restaurant staff were fabulous. The food always was fresh fresh fresh! The chicken! The tuna! The pork! Everything was great Just be aware that Jamaicans eat differently then Americans with smaller portions. I ate at the restaurant the whole time, they have the option of meal plans to which is great! The sunsets are great to from the restaurant!
They also had a bbq, which was great! Unlimited food, beer, and rum punch! I was so impressed and everyone has a great time!

The Activities:
They have so many great activities. The most amazing was the horse back riding! Then there a lot others like the boat snorkeling, crocs excursions. I also did the Cave adventure, which was great and gave me insight to the culture/history. I never left the resort to any activities in Negril because the resort was too great!

The Staff:
The staff is amazing from the owners to house keeping! The owners and I often had many great chats and were always available! Grounds people, security, restaurant staff, and transportation are all great! It feels like one great family! I felt safe and secure the whole time!

The Overall Stay:
My overall stay with my fiancé was fabulous. We felt like we had the whole resort to our self's. Its great for couples! Everyone is so friendly. We felt so relaxed. This is the place to stay! Were even trying to plan our wedding here for May or June! Stay here if you want a great vk! - Rachel

5  Thank rachelrabb
Reviewed July 29, 2011

What has made Rhodes Resort at Rhodes Hall Plantation in Green Island, Jamaica a cut above the rest:

- Homey
There's no standard front desk for formal check in where you have to sign a load of papers until someone gives you a hotel door access card. They simply lead you to your cabin, tell you essential details about the resort, and leave a mobile phone that you may use without additional cost during your stay.

- Secluded
My husband and I felt that we had the whole resort only to ourselves. They have their own beach with healthy coral reef for us to keep snorkeling.

The property is about an hour from Sangster International Airport, Montego Bay. You drive around the mountains and pass a few towns.

- Natural
Peacocks, native chickens, and guinea fowl are all around the resort. There's one very special peacock that bows his head down whenever he sees a person. He expects everyone to pet his colorful feathers. I decided to call him "Sir Lancelot." What a regal peacock!

The solitary restaurant at the resort also grows its own peppers, tomatoes, and a few other vegetables. I like how they pick a scotch bonnet from their garden for cooking scrumptious meals. I really love spicy food.

- Amiable
Dem people, yaman!

Thanks to Marcelle, Wayne, and Bayview Restaurant. Everything was done according to schedule. I only booked the airport-resort transfer, and vice versa less than 36 hours before arrival. We visited in mid-April 2011. Their recommendations also worked perfectly. More jerked chicken and tropical slush, please!

1  Thank mfariadne
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I have read all of the previous reviews and pretty much agree with all of them, the good and the bad.
I will not be returning for one reason:
Our party rented 2 rooms for a week, one with a full kitchen. The last night we were there, we wanted to invite two friends over for dinner. These people are both long time business owners in Negril and Lucea, one owns a villa in the West End and one owns a popular transport company in the Montego Bay/ Negril area. The manager at Rhodes was familiar with both of them and/or their businesses. Despite that, I was told I would have to pay $5.00 each for them to visit us. I was also told that our guests would have normally had to leave the property by 6:00 but she would allow them to stay later since I told her and paid the $10.00. Our guests arrived at 5pm and left by 8.
I understand this is a public preserve and guests are admitted on a daily basis until 6:00 pm. But for a resort guest to be charged and THEN to try to make us feel like you're doing us the favor just doesn't seem right. These people used NONE of the park amenities, we cleaned up after dinner AND washed all of the dishes.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank gointonegril
Rhodesman, Owner at Rhodes Beach Resort Negril, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

We have the most liberal and inexpensive visitors policy in Negril. For just $5 per person, unregistered guests are allowed on the property and may enjoy the beaches, pool, and grounds until 6PM. This is the first complaint we have ever had about the price. We also allowed them to entertain there guests for an additional two hours.

Reviewed July 23, 2011

We spent our honeymoon at Rhodes and it was the best trip we've ever had. The staff are wonderful, the rooms are extremely clean, and the food is excellent. There are so many things to do right on the plantation, best snorkeling ever. The horses look great and well cared for, and there are so many beautiful peacocks and other birds wandering around. The beach is amazing and very private (hassel free) with the so many coral reefs to eplore. The food at Bayview was fantastic, Anita and the staff are great, and the view of the sunsets are a nice addition to a romantic dinner. The Glass bottom boat captain Erryl is quite a character and will gladly take you out to explore the cove. Our trip with Delroy to the crocodile mangrove was great, we were able to see the crocks come out and enjoy a chicken dinner. Ron and his tour to the bat cave was also something that is a must, make sure you go around sunset when they are most active. We also miss Kevin the peacock always ready to open his fan and put on a show. The groundkeepers always have the place looking great and Eldeth and her girls keep the room spotless. The owners Dave and Marcelle were the most gracious hosts and even let us borrow their laptop when ours wasn't working. They even provide a cell phone for you to use to reach them at any time, the services they provide are above and beyond any expectations we ever could have had.
Our stay at Rhodes was so wonderful that we have already booked our return trip for Christmas and New Year. Can't wait to see you all again, even if it means wishing the Summer away.

Shayne and Charlene

Room Tip: Not every room has tv, we didn't want it, but if you do inquire before you book.
2  Thank charlene71
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I stayed at RHP in February 2011 while in Jamaica to attend a friend's wedding (which was being held at a couples only resort). I was traveling solo and needed to find some place I felt secure yet not locked-in. After massive research, I decided to stay at Rhodes, and I fell in love with the property, the location, and the people.
It was the most unique check-in I have ever experienced (and I've traveled quite a bit over the years). After being picked up at the airport by Wayne (I bought the to/from airport transportation package and TG I did - I wouldn't have made it out the airport parking lot...and THANK YOU, Wayne, for running on "U.S. time" when it came to transportation for all the events I was attending.) I was dropped off at my room and met by Marcelle. She escorted me to my room explaining the features of the resort and showing a genuine interest in me as a person while making sure I felt comfortable there...like family. I stayed in the Whyte house, which is above the bird sanctuary. It was amazing to see the peacocks (who loved to visit my porch) around the property. The room was spacious, the a/c worked very well, and I liked being in a more "private" location than down on the beach. I was able to get one of the free cell phones for my stay there and had no problem going to the restaurant to buy the phone credits. Various resort numbers are pre-programmed in the phone, which helped greatly - just remember to delete out all of your ingoing/outgoing calls, voicemails, and text messages if you don't want future users to see/hear them.
One thing I absolutely loved about RHP is how secure I felt there. I was so comfortable wandering around the property and meeting/speaking with staff and other guests. You have your own private beach, private snorkeling, restaurant, pool, etc.... w/o having to worry panhandling and security. There were times I was the only one on the beach, and it was amazing!!! I think it's a great place to stay for singles, families and couples.
I really enjoyed eating/hanging out at the Bayview restaurant. Very good food, friendly waitstaff and cooks. It supposedly opens at 7am, but I would suggest not bothering to go before 7:30am as 7am seems to be more of a suggestion and sometimes no one is there yet (yes, I know, that's early but I was usually up with the rooster who was an excellent 5am, 6am and 7am snooze alarm - normally that would tick me off, but it didn't! It was actually part of the charm of the Island...who knew?!?) Except for Wayne, everything runs on "Jamaica" time and it took me a day to adjust to it, but adjust I did....very relaxing. If, due to the wedding activities, I had to be on a strict time schedule, I would coordinate with the Bayview staff for food and with Wayne for transportation and they never let me down.
There are various activities available to do at RHP (definitely check their website for the whole list) including swimming, scuba diving, snorkeling, horseback riding, cave tour, pizza party, jerk chicken party, etc... The horseback riding was fun, and I liked seeing the Inland area, riding down the beach was cool, and going to the Mangrove - Crocodile lake area was interesting (just remember - these horses are used to the trail so you can actually look around quite a bit and take pictures.) I found the cave tour with Ron very interesting...to see and hear about their history (beyond the "touristy" stuff) was really cool. Ron and crew are still working on clearing different tunnels, but have done a good job with making stairs and paths so it is pretty easy walking. I also had fun chatting with both Marcelle and Dave and learned quite a bit about the birds on the Island.
So - I plan on going back...don't know when....but as I sit at my workdesk with a smile on face, it's probably because mentally I'm back on the beach at RHP!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank mrocks1
Reviewed May 23, 2011

My wedding was the most romantic wedding ever. It was the most peaceful place I have ever been to. The hotel staff were so warm and welcoming. The Bay View restaurant has the most wonderful food I have ever ate. No one had any complaints of what they ate. The cooks and staff were the nicest people I have ever met. I truly feel like they are part of my family now. I had my reception there and they were so awesome and were so happy to take care of all my guests. You could feel the warmth coming off of them. The owner of the restaurant is just wonderful and Dave and Marcelle are the greatest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. We all will be coming back yearly. The snorkeling was awesome the rooms were so clean. The kids loved the pool and the friendly peacocks. Thanks so much to everyone for all of your kindness I truly miss all of you and wish it didn't have to end. It was like an enchanting fairy tail.

Room Tip: The Plum room beach front spectacular views.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
#37 of 80 in Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 80 in Negril

Been to Rhodes Beach Resort Negril? Share your experiences!