“Excellent. High End”

Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Reviewed July 31, 2010

I work in the travel industry and believe in providing honest report. I have never done one of these before but this hotel and the service provided was so exceptional that I just had to write about it. I went on vacation with my sister. We used Sunquest Vacations.

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with champaigne then wisked away by their representative to what appeared to be a private check in. It was not a private check-in but it felt that way. After a smooth check-in they provided a real car that drove us to our room. It is located on a fairly big property.

To summarize, the hotel was exceptionally stunnig, the service next to no other. Every staff went all out to make us satisfied. They appreciate your tips too. A client gave 1 staff some kind of tip and I caught him thanking God for it. I was so touched.

I think that the staff touched me more. They were so kind and polite. On top of that every room comes with a jaccuzi and a separate large shower. The rooms are big and spacious. Beautifully decorated. We were never short of anything. There is food unlimited for all kinds of needs. (If you are on a diet, you will find the food group for those on diet) They are colour coded guides to help you decide what to eat in the buffet restaurant.

Their Japaneese restaurant is a must for you to eat at. We loved it. It was fun being there and the food prepared infront of us was so delicious.

Finally, if you like to jogg the resort is so big that you will not be short of places to run, jogg or bike. I went jogging on the property in order to keep the weight down and it worked. Their gym is quite small so I used it only a few times.

We did not really use the beach because it was very rough (anygry) during the week that we were there. Many people used the pools. Their pools are many, long and big. Also, there are private swim-up pools. Most people still used the main pool since that was where the fun was.

Stayed: May 2010
3  Thank rosedelgaty

Reviewed July 30, 2010

We were never bored at this motel, each day you get an itenerary of things you can participate in, which is great if thats what your into. However, thats not what our plans were. Our main goal for vacation was sitting on the beach and if thats what you have in mind....this is NOT the place you want to go. First you have to walk a ridiculous amount to go anywhere you want, and once you do get to the beach it's horrible. I'm from River Country and the rocks on this beach were as big as the ones in our rivers. There is basically no sand near the motel's beach, instead you have to walk about 1/4 of a mile down the beach to see any decent sand. Also, the ENTIRE time we were there it was 'Red Flagged' meaning the ocean would beat the crap out of you if you went into it.
The food was good, and the rooms were nice. Again, if you looking for an ocean view, not the place to go, the beach is pretty far away.
The pools were amazing and the staff was excellent. If you visit the Beach Bar make sure you grab a Coco Loco! The nightlife was fantastic, karaoke, dancing, you can really let yourself loose here. Don't forget room service! It's included in your price and well worth ordering! Also, there's a pillow menu so if you forget your pillow at home or your picky like me, just pick up the phone and order a different one. Defintely book a trip to Playa Del Carmen for the shopping! Make sure you bring lots of 1$ bills.Overall it was a nice vacation, but we won't be going back to this resort with so many others to choose from.
If your booking online make sure you do NOT use ORBITZ or GRAYLINE (transportation). They left us stranded at the airport and then refused to give us our money back for the cab we had to take to the motel. Orbitz does not care about their customers once they get their money!

1  Thank bsandusky
Reviewed July 30, 2010

I absolutely love this resort. I stayed with my husband for seven nights and eights days in a silver junior suite. I would return.

Likes: Food was great for an all inclusive and drinks were great all around for any vacation I've been on. I travel frequently & have stayed at all inclusives in the past & have cruised as well. The room as very beautiful & clean. Pool was LARGE and plenty of chairs everywhere. You do need to be there before 12pm for a chair, but that I believe is reasonable. Never had a problem. If you need shade you need to get there by 9am. It was a very romantic hotel and very relaxing. If you're going with singles or want lots of entertainment this isn't the place for you. I also had a wedding ceremony there, and had my sister and brother-inlaw as witnesses. I would recommend this place for a wedding. The wedding coordinators were always in touch with me in the months leading up to the wedding and it was very stress free. The wedding photographer they use is AMAZING and fairly priced. My photos are beautiful! They even arranged for a private dinner for four with my table decorated & my cake :) Beach is beautiful & surf is rough but I'm from Jersey so that did not beother me at all. I love jumping in waves. Water we crystal clear! LOVELY!. You do need to go down to the left to get in the water as there are rocks right down past the entrance to the beach. Location is great, only 20min from cancun. Spa was wonderful & worth going to. I had my hair done for the wedding, and 1 1/2 hr. hot stone massage.

Dislikes: Entertainment is lacking. Band in the plaza plays the same songs every night. So the first night was cool, but after that, not so much.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mandi6510
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I am not really sure where the negative reviews about this resort come from. We just returned yesterday from a wonderful, restful week. We upgraded to the golden deluxe suite and were on the 3rd floor of building 7.(We paid for the upgrade but spoke with many who got the same upgrade with no charge...guess their sweet-talking skills surpassed mine.) We had a beautiful view of the swim out pool and a partial ocean view. There was a wonderful little bar there with the coldest beer in the resort and also the best pina coladas - made by the always cheery Sonia. (She would also come to the pool to deliver so we didn't have to get out!) We never ate at the Italian but the rest of the restaurants were very good. If you get something that you don't care for, don't complain, simply order something else. My husband always gets a "funky" stomach when we travel - he had it at the Iberostar Grand and at Secrets Maroma but not at the Valentin. Reservations are not needed at any of the restaurants and we never had to wait more than a few minutes for a table.
Room service was great. The food arrived hot and in a timely fashion. There are many choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The reason I didn't give this a 5 was the attention to little details that make a 5 rating. Snacks around the pool areas, picking up glasses, there was 1 glass by our elevator for 3 days, and room service dishes. Also, if you are looking for a wonderful beach, this won't work for you. To be able to go into the water you need to walk way down to the left to find a place to safely enter. We went to the beach and never had a problem with finding a seat but we never went in.
This was a great place to stay for the money.

1  Thank HappyTraveler5355
Reviewed July 29, 2010

We are a married couple in our 40's and we booked the VIM to celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary. We stayed at the VIM July 18-25.

Used USA Transfers for the first time and highly recommend them. $80.00 round trip for 2 people. The VIM is 30 minutes from the airport.

Arrival: We arrived at 12:30 knowing that our room would not be ready until 3:00. We booked a deluxe jr suite but we were upgraded (for free) to an emerald suite ocean view. We were on the 1st floor so there really wasn't much of a view. Not complaining because it was a free upgrade which we appreciated.

Room: The photos of the rooms on their website are exactly the way the rooms look. I think they need more wall decor in the rooms. The walls seemed "empty". Housekeeping didn't service the room 2 out of the 7 days. Turn down service was good.
Here is where it gets alittle.....nasty. On day 4 we returned to our room to take a nap. When we woke up a found bugs in our bed. I called the front desk and they said someone would be there immediately. After i took pictures of the bugs, i took all of the linens off the bed. Housekeeping finally showed up about an hour later. She sprayed around the bed and wiped the headboard down. I wanted clean linens, pillows, blankets
etc but that was not the case. We got only got clean sheets.

Alcohol: Hubby said the drinks were good. I can't comment because I have a severe allergy to alcohol so I can't drink.

Bugs: There are jumping spiders, ants, mosquitos and RED ants. You need bug spray. I was stung/bit by red ants at the pool and walking back from the beach. I told the lifeguard and he said he was going to call someone to come spray the area but no one showed up.

Food: We liked breakfast and lunch much better than dinner ~ thats sad!! The grilled salmon at lunch was good. I had it several times because i could not eat the steaks they tasted funny. We dined at all of the restaurants except the Mexican one. Service was non existent sometimes. I had to ask for water/coke several times. The beach (mar) restaurant was SLOW. The best service was at the Italian restaurant. We had Utzel for a waiter. Bring tums you will need them. We have been to several AI in Mexico and I never had stomach issues like i did at the VIM. I felt 'funny' the entire week.

Beach: Rocky, however if you walk to the left there is a 'sandbar' that you can walk out on. The water was rough the first several days we were there but finally calmed down later in the week.

Pool: Where do i begin?? Overall, very nice pool. We never had an issue with chairs. The pool is huge with 2 swim-up bars. One side is quite and the other side is where all the games/music are. We spent our time in the quite section. We decided to swim over to the other side and for a minute we were shocked!! Two topless women kissing each other while their husbands watched. (read smittygirl1966 review for more detailed information~she is spot on!!) As we swam back to the quite side we see a middle aged couple having sex in the pool. Yes, you read that correct. Were they drunk? Yes. Does that make a difference? No. Nasty and tasteless people IMO. Sorry.

Entertainment: Caught the last 5 minutes of the Michael Jackson show. It had to be 100 degrees in that room so we left. We enjoyed the house band that played on the plaza in the evenings.

There were some gay couples which did not bother us at all. I heard people talking about them. Listen, they are human just like everyone else. If it's okay for me to hold my husbands hand or steal quick kiss why can't they? We all have the right to enjoy the love of our lives. Glad you all had fun!!

I don't foresee myself returning to this resort. I booked it with high expectations and I was disappointed. Even though service was lacking we still tipped. Some got more than others but regardless, we tipped everyone.

3  Thank MLL66
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We just returned from a vacation to Valentin. It was such a beautiful resort, I could not believe it. The main pool area was huge, with two full swim up bars - best invention ever. The service for our entire stay was amazing. People were so wonderful and respectful, and the grounds were kept beautiful and clean. The food was delicious. We went in a group of 10 and very much appreciated that they accomodated our large group at dinners, so that we could eat together.
The pool entertainment was amazing. J-J, Joel, Lorena, Claudia, and Irving hosted great water aquatics everyday! Super fun. We enjoyed one of the bike tours, and played water polo on a daily basis. The crazy games were spectacular. Joel was an amazing host, always keeping the crowd laughing. We didn't attend many of the shows, but did catch the Mexican buffet with the show - very enjoyable. The dancing started around 11pm in the outdoor area. From other reviews, I was scared that this was not going to be fun (we are all in mid-twenties), since it sounded like a more formal dance, but it was like a huge wedding party under the stars. The karaoke was so much fun. Irving and Claudia helped to make it extra great. The casino night was a blast. Seriously, best resort ever. I had never stayed in Mexico before, but have been to other all-inclusive resorts, this was by-far the greatest.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jennybrains
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Just got back from my second vacation there. If you want to go into the ocean, as you walk onto the beach from the hotel, walk left towards the white house that is for sale. It is about a 30/45 second walk from all the beach chairs/huts. This area of the ocean does not have any rocks or shale, is all sand. Not sure why the beach in front of the hotel is bad this year, but a short walk to the left is the answer.

6  Thank footballdog
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#21 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 212 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!