“Perfect getaway for couples”

Valentin Imperial Maya
Oklahoma
“Perfect getaway for couples”
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Just returned from an amazing 5 day stay at the Valentin Imperial Maya. I traveled there with my wife and our only complaint is that we did not book a longer stay! First off, this is our first trip to an AI beach resort so we really have no other experience to compare it to.....but, I couldn't imagine any resort, anywhere else, being much better. I consulted Trip Advisor for several weeks prior to booking and felt I had a good idea about what to expect. However, this place FAR exceeded my expectations.

I'll try not to repeat things already stated by other reviewers (like the wet towel and sparkling wine upon arrival) but will just focus on the items that made our experience exceptional:

GROUNDS - Always kept in immaculate condition. Clean, beautiful, and well landscaped. Did not see even a single piece of trash anywhere on the ground. Groups of grounds-keepers were always around, every day, making sure the place stayed in pristine condition. The resort is big and there is some walking required, but as long as you are not injured or have a physical disability, there is no reason you should be concerned about the distance. The longest distance you will have to walk will be from the beach to the restaurants. You can easily cover that in ten minutes, and in case you do get tired, you pass by several bars along the way. Just stop for a drink and rest!

ROOM - Very nice and clean. We had a Junior Silver Suite and was plenty of room for the two of us. Mini bar was restocked daily. I left a note our second day requesting water and Dos Equis only (The other beer option for your room is Tecate Light....Dos Equis is light enough for us!) in the mini bar and our request was granted every day. We even got a call from the service staff on the third day asking if our mini bar was restocked to our liking! The maid came every day and the room was always spotless. She even folded some of my wife's clothes which my wife had left on the couch. We tipped our maid $4 every day. Turn-down service came every night except one. No problems at all with the AC. We kept the thermostat between 67 and 69 and the room was always every bit that cold. I don't know what some of these other people writing bad reviews about the AC are doing wrong, but we had no problem with it. Tip: If either the door or the sliding balcony door are not shut all the way, the AC will turn off. As long as both doors are shut, there should be no problems.

BEACH - Beautiful. White sand, easy to walk on. You can walk the entire stretch of beach getting ankle deep in the water but are only allowed to swim in 1/3 of it due to reef, rocks and lifeguard station location. This swim-able portion is sufficient and accessible from any where on the beach. There are plenty of beach chairs but a beach chair under a palaypa is hard to come by. We usually got to the beach around noon and had to sit in the sun for a few hours before a palaypa became available. Be sure you bring lots of sunscreen and reapply often! Now for the best part.....the beach bar! There were servers on the beach taking drink orders that made their rounds every 30 minutes or so, but for faster service just walk to the beach bar. Juvenal and Roberto were our bartenders and they took very good care of us. They were polite, friendly, always smiling and eager to please! Juvenal even greeted us by name and they all wanted to ensure we were enjoying ourselves.

POOL - Big, clean and nice. We spent 4 of our 5 days on the beach so we spent very little time at the pool. We did get in a few times and grab a drink at the swim-up bar, we thought what little time we did spend there to be fun.

RESTAURANTS - Lots to choose from. We ate at all except for the Mexican and Indonesian. Never had a bad meal and the service was always great! The French restaurant was our favorite and the sushi at the Japanese restaurant was good as well. After the beach, nap, in-room activities and a shower, we typically didn't make it out for dinner till 9 and we never waited for a table.

After mentioning all of the above, the one thing that made this resort so great was the service. Every single person on the resort staff....from the reception staff, to the food/drink servers, to the grounds-keepers seemed like they were there to do everything they could to make our stay more enjoyable. We usually tipped $1 or $2 every other drink, $4 each day for the maid, and $5 for our dinner service. There were a few days we also tipped an extra $5 at the end of the day at the beach bar. My wife and I feel the tipping was very appropriate and very well deserved by the hard working staff.

We are already looking forward to our next trip to Valentin. We hope to see Juvenal and Roberto again when we return!

12 Thank dochiker020

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,496)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Baltimore
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Unfortunately with work and children's schedules and with a limited budget we could only get away for 4 days to celebrate our anniversary. Having read all of the reviews on Trip Advisor we decided on the Valentin. We couldn't be more happier that we did. It was everything we read and then some.

Check-in
Same story- cool towels, cold champagne. A great first impression.
We paid for the basic Jr Deluxe suite but while checking in we slipped the Rep $30. and asked her to get us a great room. She tried to sell us an upgrade which we declined and asked her to see what she could do to help us out. Considering that it was before noon, no rooms were available at that time. No problem, we ate lunch and hung out at the pool until around 5. When we returned we were very delighted to see that we were upgraded to an Emerald Suite Oceanfront.

Room
Contrary to earlier reviews, our 1st floor Oceanfront Room (9106) had a great Ocean view. It was very, very private. We had our own lounge chairs in the sand directly off of the patio. The Jacuzzi had 2 trifold glass doors and when opened literally had you relaxing right out on the secluded beach area. That was Heaven. Tropical crosswinds, warm Jacuzzi, Dos Equis and my wife. Well worth the $30.
Air conditioning and Mini bar were cold, showers were hot. Absolutely no complaints. This room is he farthest room from the lobby so you will walk. I you don't want to walk just call for a "Mexican limo" and they will be at your door in a very short time. (please tip them)

Not Nobu or Mortons but vey good food and it is presented well.
Chateaubriand at L'Alsace was excellent
My wife raved about the Lasagne at Olivio and you have to do the Hibachi at Ginger.
One note: please observe the dress code at the restaurants. You really do look like trailer trash with shorts and Dale Ernhardt t shirts in these very elegan establishments. Same goes for Coochie cutters girls. And for the love of Pete, TIP YOUR SERVERS at least 5 bucks each for dinner or more.

Beach
Wow! Much better than Secrets Capri and Iberostar Paraiso. The swimmimg area is completely sand after the first couple of steps and like bath water.

To the Valentin folks who read this..........none of this is new but I feel I need to voice my opinions to you.
- Invest in a few more Golf Carts (Mexican Limos)
-Invest in a 100 more floaties or do away with them completely.
-Invest in 50 more palapas on the beach.
-Re-evaluate the prices of the items in the gift shop. Especially the necessities. $27. USD for suntan lotion is criminal and a very bad reflection upon the resort.
- Please have small denominations of US currency available to the resort guests. Why should I be penalized for tipping well and running out or 1s and 5's. It only hurts your employees.

My wife and I are missing the Valentin horribly. Can't wait to
return for a much longer visit.

You will have a great time here!

South Jersey
Reviewed September 21, 2009

We had an amazing time at Valentin Imperial Maya. We took a random cab from the hotel to the resort--don't do that for the price we paid --it's a 27$ cab ride from the airport to Valetin...we paid $60 cause we didn't know any better. We got there before check-in and were able to go up to our room anyway. We were in building 2 which was great since we were near the pool, the beach, and the food. Every single day we got breakfast, lunch, and dinner which all were delicious. I don't have any complaints about the food except that I ate too much of it. There is even 24 hour room service..which we did just to do it...after already eating dinner--it was awesome but big mistake. We went to bed with tummy aches. We got our room cleaned every day and turn down service every night, plus our mini-bar got restocked every day along with the toiletries in the bathroom. And there's chocolate in the fridge...and chocolate on your bed at night. So I was pleased to say the least. The rooms were gorgeous by the way...huge comfortable bed, flat screen tv, couch, mini bar area, and ginormous bathroom with a jacuzzi and shower. The toilet can be awkward if you're very shy with your roommate since it's not exactly entire enclosed or sound proof. But there's a balcony you can shun them too if you need some privacy.

The swim up bars were great and the pool was not necessarily refreshing but not cold. Everybody working there is constantly happy and smiling. Great service. There are cocktail waitresses walking by always asking if you need anything. You can even bring the food from El Mar/La Tierra outside to eat on your chair if you want to. The beach was beautiful with roped off swimming areas, palapas, kayaks, and catamarans all for free. Also, the employees set up games of volleyball which were entertaining to watch and play. I'd recommend bringing your own snorkel gear and a hat...and a raft as well. This was my first time travelling to Mexico and I wish I had all three of those with me.

Bottled water and beer were available everywhere in coolers filled with ice. And every night there was a show or some form of entertainment. We saw the Michael Jackson show which I loved and during our stay there was also a fire show, a circus themed show, a mayan show, and a traditional mexican show...and we were there for 4 nights. They also bring in vendors from outside at night around the Plaza so you don't even have to leave the resort to get souvenirs. I got 2 paintings for $20...the guy who paints w/ his fingers is amazing to watch. They also had a live band in the Plaza for "disco night" every day but Saturday.

The food was delicious--every morning there were crepe and omelette stations, fresh fruit, salad, muffins, oatmeal, veggies, potatoes, scrambled eggs, bacon, tortillas, fresh juice bar, mimosa/bloody mary bar, and fried plantains which are delicious. There is so much food, but you can eat healthfully for sure. Lunch was another buffet, at the El Mar/La Tierra (which is also the Lobster Pot/Steakhouse at night)...they had a huge spread as well and you could get shrimp, scallops, salmon, grouper, bass all grilled up just for you and steak, burgers, chicken on the opposite side. They also had a salad bar there and ice cream, chips and salsa/gauc...everything was good. Dinner was super fancy--we ate at Ginger twice, the French restaurant, and the Lobster Pot. Unfortunately we weren't able to get to the Mexican restaurant when they were open because we opted for the Lobster Pot instead, but we were able to enjoy a Mexican buffet with a show on the Lobby foyer. I'd recommend the crab legs at the Lobster Pot and the Beef Boirgonsomething at the French restaurant. The house Chardonnay is also tasty--but I'm no wino, just a lush. Ginger was delish as well...we sat at the sushi bar both times since that's where you can order all the different rolls (table has certain combos you can order only), but I understood they had a hibachi there as well.

There is a GYM---for you health nuts (me included) that I utilized several times on our trip. The treadmills are good quality...the ellipticals not so much. They also have free weights, a cable system, and some bikes. Towels and water are there as well. Not crowded which was nice, and they have Yoga lessons in the morning several times a week.

We utilized our $100 spa credit we got with our booking and got a couples massage. They were so nice with my boyfriend who was a spa virgin and it felt amazing. 50 minutes go by fast. If we hadn't had the credit I probably wouldn't have used it since they weren't cheap.

Also there is an activities form they leave in your room at turn down or you can find them in the lobby that has the restaurant schedule, entertainment schedule, and activities schedule. We participated in a bike tour, volleyball, and rifle shooting. Definitely get a seat by the pool for the "Crazy Game" because it's just fun to watch people be foolish. The game directors are nice and I didn't really feel self conscious about sucking at shooting or volleyball.

I would HIGHLY recommend this place, esp since we got it for such a great deal. We did not go on any excursions...just took a cab to Playa del Carmen one day--I think I'd do one in the future but I was so in love with the resort I didn't want to leave. Also, the two of us never booked any formal shuttles, just took cabs, which for us was cost efficient. The bellboys tell you how much you should really pay which would have helped on our way there, but nobody messed with us at any other time.

8 Thank spatterson
Maryland
Reviewed September 21, 2009

My husband and I vacationed here mid Aug. We were looking for a nice all inclusive adult only resort that had plenty to offer on-site in regards to night life, day-time activities and food. My husbands a chef which is primarily why he chose this resort because of the 9 restaurants it boasts of housing. We were not disappointed to say the least. We made it our personal mission to eat at every restaurant and we loved every bit of it. There were some that were favored over others, but overall the food and service at every restaurant were amazing. It's not like other all inclusive resorts I've been to where all you have to choose from is buffets. No, you get a nice menu and you choose what you want to eat - but you can choose 4 entrees if you really wanted to...which some nights we were dying to try so many different selections on the menu, we did :) Also, other places I’ve been to, seat you with other couples which on one hand is a great way to meet people…however, this place was more intimate – you only sat with whomever you came with or wanted to sit with.
When we first got there, we were placed in a smaller room than we had originally booked, however, once they were notified they changed us to a new room within 15 min. Our first room was beautiful - just small but our second room was huge...they even upgraded us to an even larger room than we'd originally expected! Everyone was saying that if the resort isn't at capacity that you can book a cheaper room and then ask for an upgrade when you get there and they will typically accommodate you – but even the smaller rooms are nice and beautiful (the resort is only 3 years old or something). I’d recommend booking rooms in building 3 or 4 because then you are close to the restaurants, lobby, and have easy access to the pool – other villa’s can be a hike.
The pool is awesome, with two nice swim-up bars; the beach is conveniently located and also has a bar and waitresses available for service, along with water and beer coolers. The activities staff did a nice job of providing activities to do like - water volleyball games, beach volleyball, poker, ping-pong, paper airplane contests, water aerobics, etc.
The night life was decent - they always had something going on in the open area - bands playing, people dancing, venders selling things (1-2 nights per week...but they are WAY more expensive then if you go into town!). The night life bar always had a special show each night from Michael Jackson show, Grease, Vegas Showgirls, to a Clown/Circus show, etc.
We did leave the premises twice for day tours - 1 was through Edventures.com which was awesome...we toured Tulum ancient ruins ($7), snorkeled in the Cenotes (a MUST - you get to swim in the underground caves), meet a spider monkey, snorkel with sea turtles on Akamual island and eat a delicious lunch on the private beach, then snorkel in the natural lagoons all for a total of $92/person from 8am-6pm...great buy! We also did the Dolphin Discovery Adventure with the dolphins, manatees and sea lions - very expensive but awesome experience and didn’t take up the entire day.
The only complaints I had was that the resort was huge and it seemed like we never even saw the entire place nor was the water sports registration center located conveniently - therefore, although included, we never made it out there to take advantage of them. Also, we were told that if you 'rented' an internet cable you could access the internet in your room (which we brought our laptop), however it never worked and it cost us something like $9/day - we even called to see if someone would come fix it or help us and they never did (we fought the bill and didn't pay, but were frustrated). We called a couple times for various things that were supposed to be in the room (like an alarm clock!) and they never came. Since we didn't have an alarm clock we asked for a wake-up call so we could make our 8am tour and they never called!
Overall, the experience was amazing, relaxing, clean, enjoyable and fun!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank jmesue323
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed for 7 nights from Sept 12 - 19. This is our 7th AI vacation in 5 years, 4 being in Mexico (Iberostar Tucan twice and Secrets Maroma), 2 in Jamaica (Sandals Negril and Sandals Dunns River Falls) and 1 in Aruba (Divi). Overall, we were blown away by the service and beauty of the resort, especially considering the great deal we got. We have paid 3 times as much and not been nearly as impressed. We were not supposed to go on an AI vacation again but I found such a great deal we couldn't pass it up, so this was a bonus vacation for us and we weren't expecting much given the price.

Many people in the past wanted a comparison to Secrets Maroma, so that is how I will set up this review.

Check-in - Our room was not ready when we arrived at 2 so we were told to have lunch and return at 3. When we did, there was a short line which moved quickly and we were taken to our room in a golf cart. The driver was very friendly and showed us the resort instead of taking us directly to our room which was helpful b/c it is very large. At Secrets, I believe we were given directions to the room and our bags quickly followed. They are pretty much even here.

Room - We were in room 2106. The room was very cool, we never had an AC problem like others have noted. It was clean but had no view at all but that really didn't matter to us. The toilet did not flush properly so we called to have someone fix it. 30 minutes later we were unpacked and getting ready for the beach so we called again. They said someone was on their way. 20 minutes later, still no one, so we called and told them we wouldn't be there and they said that was fine, that the maintenance person had a key. We returned to the room several hours later to find that it still did not work so we called again. Someone finally came this time and fixed it. Then I tried to get in the shower and turned the water on and after only about 20 seconds the water was about halfway up until it would be over-flowing. I turned off the water and saw that it wasn't draining. So my husband hurried up and called again and the same worker came about 2 minutes later to fix it. After about 10 minutes it too was fixed and luckily we didn't have any other problems with the room after that. At Secrets, we were upgraded and had a beautiful room overlooking the pool and ocean and had no problems the entire stay. If I gave the Valentin room a 4 out of 5, I'd give Secrets a 5 hands down.

Beach - The beach is very nice and long, but it gets very rocky if you walk to the right when facing the ocean. You can walk to the left about 20 minutes until it too gets rocky and you'd have to walk through the villa to get around it. Everyone knows the Secrets beach is gorgeous and I give that beach a 6 out of 5 (it's that great). The Valentin beach is nice, but not spectacular so I only would give it about a 3 out of 5. Both resorts offered beach drink service, but you could not get food delivered to you at the Valentin like you could at Secrets. I also don't remember having to get up early to get a palapa at Secrets, but if you weren't out by 7am at the Valentin you were out of luck unless you wanted to walk through the rocks to get the ones on the far end of the beach in front of the beachfront rooms.

Pools - The pools at the Valentin are huge and much better than Secrets. The Valentin gets a 5 and Secrets gets a 3.

Food - The food at both resorts was excellent and very comparable. I give both a 5 out of 5. At Valentin, we ate at the Mexican, Indonesian, French, Steakhouse and Italian (2x). Everything was very good and the service was excellent. My husband and I also liked the house wines very much and the servers never let it get below half full before they refilled it for you. I will say that the lunch buffet is extremely hot. For some reason, they don't cut down some of the vegetation in front that separates it from the beach so the breeze doesn't come into the restaurant. And they have ceiling fans, but more than half of them are not turned on. I preferred lunch at Secrets where it was sit-down and not a buffet. The buffet had nachos, but nothing like the seaside nachos from Secrets.

Alcohol - I don't care which brands of alcohol are in my drinks and I don't drink straight alcohol, so it doesn't really matter to me. My husband thought they liquor options were better at Secrets than Valentin, although he understood that our trip was half the cost as Secrets and was fine with the alcohol he received. The bartender at the beach was great and made the best margarita ever. Both places get a 5 out of 5 for me, but my husband would probably give Valentin a 4.

Room Service - We only ordered once at Secrets and it came about an hour after they said it would and since we were checking out we barely had time to take 2 bites. We ordered room service our first night for dinner b/c after dealing with room issues we were later than expected and didn't feel like going out. It was delicious and came in exactly 45 minutes like they told us. We also ordered it twice for lunch because the lunch restaurant was so hot I didn't feel like eating much once I was there. So Valentin gets a 5 and Secrets gets a 2 (b/c it showed up).

Housekeeping - I don't recall any issues at Secrets and there were none really at Valentin as well. For some reason, wash cloths were hard to come by and my husband would normally have to hunt them down. But that is my only complaint.

Service - Both resorts had excellent service in our opinions. We did not encounter one unhappy worker at either resort. I hope that they are treated well and not abused by the resorts. We tipped about $120 for the week, but did not see many people tipping (which breaks my heart) and they got the same great service. I only tip b/c I "hear" that they do not make very much money by the resort. I have no way to know for sure, but I hope they are not taken advantage of.

My husband and I both awoke on the 4th morning with stomach "issues" which made for an interesting morning. It stayed with us until the day we left. This did not happen at Secrets. We are very careful about what we eat and I did not even drink that much alcohol. We also stay in the shade for most of the day. We also heard of a few other people that were sick during the same week at the Valentin.

Overall, both resorts are outstanding, with Secrets being a little higher quality overall with a much better beach but Valentin has the better pool. Unfortunately, this is my husbands 3rd time out of 4 trips to Mexico getting sick, so he is not sure he wants to return. We are planning on having a baby in the next year or two, so we will probably save our money or try Vegas or another city instead.

For all the dog lovers out there, please take care of Mexico, the brown stray dog that roams the resort. He is afraid of humans but will get close enough if you give him food. I hope the resort workers are not mean to him, he seemed very afraid when one got too close :-(

12 Thank clmst
Las Vegas
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We stayed in building 4, it was center to all, pool was a few feet away, restaurant's were about 5 min. walk, a good exercise. Service was great, the service staff was very friendly. I do not drink, but I had a few virgin drinks that I loved, especially the mango daquiri.
My wife likes to have madras at the pool and wine with dinner, she was very happy as well with the service. We enjoy the beach,and pool a lot.

7 Thank cubanbeachman
Maryland
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We stayed at the Valentin from Sept 15th- 20th. I just walked in the door from the Valentin and I want to go back lol. First of all I would like to say that the employees at the Valentin went above and beyond. And this hotel exceeded any expectations I had before arriving. We arrived a little before noon and were greeted with a wet towel and champagne. We took a tour of the resort and then the bell man took us to are room. We paid for the regular suite and were upgraded without any knowledge to Deluxe Silver. The room was absolutely GORGEOUS. Conceirge told us that he would make our vacation very special, but we had no idea we would receive a free upgrade. The first night, we were there they had a Mexican Independence buffet and both my husband and I were blown away by the food. Everything was DELICIOUS!!!. All the of the restaurauants were amazing except for Ginger. I really didn't care for the food, but every other restauraunt was GREAT!! The beach was BEAUTIFUL AND RELAXING we stayed at the beach for most of the day. The pool was gorgeous, but I didn't care for the atmosphere of hanging around drunks while trying to take a dip in the pool. If we went to the pool, we went early in the am and then headed to the beach. If you go to the beach walk all the way to the left, it's more private and it feels like you have your own part of the ocean. As I stated before the service went above and beyond, these guys go out of their way to make you have an amazing trip, so the most we can do is tip a few dollars here and there. While I was there I must say I was very dissapointed in some of the other travelers with their racist remarks about mexicans and how they work. An employee was standing right next to these a-holes as a group of them were cracking jokes. Some White Americans never cease to amaze me, I was very embarrassed. At least their work is honest and they are trying to put food on their plates just like everyone else. I tipped for everything, from room service, to dinner, drinks, and the bell boy's. All of them were AMAZING. I don't understand the negative reviews i've read, If this place can't make you happy, then nothing can lol. The Valentin is Beautiful and Amazing with great service, great pools and a BEAUTIFUL BEACH and it's affordable. I'm lucky I found this place, we will definitely be back in a few months. I'm about to start planning as we speak lol.

10 Thank LLani
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Secreto
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#58 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,983 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#23 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,133 reviews
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#38 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 9,173 reviews

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!