“Great vacation!!”

Valentin Imperial Maya
Sioux Center, IA
“Great vacation!!”
Reviewed February 21, 2009

Just returned from the Valentin--beautiful resort!! The weather was perfect--85. Not one drop of rain. I first thought the resort would be to big, but it is very easy to get around. We enjoyed walking around the beautiful grounds. The beach is very large--never seemed to crowded. The chairs in the shade were always reserved, but we were there for the sun. Stayed on the beach till around 1:00 , then it was time to hit the pool. The pool water was fine, I don't know why people say its to cold. The drinks were great-they will add more booze if you want. Check -in was easy. We went with 2 other couples and they did get us all in the same building after a little talking, We were in building 2 on the 3rd floor. Had a nice view of the ocean. The room was very nice--never spent much time in it. We had a nice balcony where we enjoyed our morning coffee and continental breakfast. We never had a bad meal!! No stomach problems here! The staff was very friendly and a tip goes a long way. There was a major blackout one night--love the unexpected!! Glad we took a flashlight and some candles. Met a lot of fun and interesting people. We used Cancan Transfers for our airport trip--they were great! There were just a few problems--but you have that on any vacation. All in all it was a GREAT time. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Have a great time!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
8 Thank dskoel88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,580)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
calgary
Reviewed February 20, 2009

Most of the positive reviews about the grounds, pools ,beach , food etc, are true. We arrived at the hotel and received the champage and towels. Then off we went to check-in. Not overly friendly but ok. Slipped the employee there a $20 for a quiet top floor room not near the elevator.

We received a room in building 5 overlooking the pool with a nice view of the ocean. To my surprise the room was less than quiet. The eleavator could be heard at all hours and the speakers from the pool could be heard even when the door was closed. No afternoon siesta for us. Also our neighbors had a unique fascination with the wooden chairs on the marble floors, no evening siesta either.

Aaaah the beach.........the main reason for our visit . Beautiful sand, beautiful carribean waters, flowing drinks. What more could you ask for right? Maybe some shade perhaps because after all it is there for all the guests to share. Nope not here. The other guests would put down towels and then leave for hours. Found shade one morning only to be accused of stealing the shade. Spoiled our valentines day for sure.

Tried the pool the next day, got a nice spot at 6am just so I could at least say I tried the pool area. Why do you have to get up at 6am just to enjoy the pool without getting the sure to be sunburn even with SPF 50.

Went to the bathroom near the Italian rest. and oops just about fell into the bowl. The toilet seat was not attached. Next day no seat at all. So, the ladies had to wait for one stall to free up. Felt like being at a hockey game during period break. Was not the only bowl issue here made sure I checked out the seat first. Must have been a screwdriver shortage in Mexico.

Went to the Indonesian rest. and ordered our food and had the pleasure of a visit from the rest. manager. Seems he was a bit concered that we may have ordered too much food and we may want to consider our choices. No we were fine with our choices and not to worry, we said. I am pretty sure that I read correctly that the Valentin was all inclusive, seemed to be up until that moment.

Visited the Japanese rest. around 9pm one evening and requested a table for 2 and was told no way we could fit you in. Weird I said you are open until 10:30 , was then told you come back tomorrow at 6pm maybe we get you in now go away. Went there the nexy day and it was not worth the agrivation .

Went to the towel shack one morning and they changed the rules. Towel cards were now the standard practise. I guess too many people were taking advantage of all the towels they wanted to reserve their spot everywhere they felt like it.

Went to the pool bar to get a beer, where did the beer cart go? Asked the bartender rules changed there too. I really liked that water/beer cart cause now I have to wait in line again.

Well, time to call the bellman, we will have him there right away. OK so right away is probobly 10-15min tops. 45min later we are hauling our suitcases to the lobby. Oh well saved us $2.

Judge for yourself folks but from my perspective this hotel is not a 4.5 star property. I simply had too many issues to give this place more than 3 stars.

5 Thank luv2travel051
Reviewed February 20, 2009

This was our third trip to Riviera Maya, and our first to Valentin. We vacationed there with another couple from February 6-10, 2009.
Airport shuttle - while I understand that this was run by a third party, it seemed that there were some people who were "bumped" to the front of the line for the shuttle, even though we had been waiting longer. After about 30 minutes (in the rain), we were finally loaded up and on our way - fortunately, Valentin is close to Cancun, so we were the first stop.
Check-in - yes, we were greeted with cold glasses of champagne (no warm/cool towels, as other have mentioned, though). The front desk is just that - a desk! (well, a series of desks, really). However, this was a nice change from standing at a counter for 15 minutes! Marco graciously checked all of us in together, and honored my request for our rooms to be in close proximity to each other - we were right next door to each other! With that completed, we were whisked away in an SUV to our Golden Suites in Building 7; our bellman was gracious, polite and accomodating.
Rooms - while our friends ended up with 2 double beds, we had a king bed. The rooms are spacious, clean, and surprisingly filled with furniture with elegant lines and subdued yet rich color schemes - more interior Mexico styling than the expected rough-hewn pieces and bright tropical colors that we have experienced at other resorts. The bathrooms are also BIG - everything is covered in marble/terrazo, a 2-person hydro-tub, separate shower big enough for two, separate water closet with bidet, and two-vanity sink with lighted makeup mirror. There are also two large closets in the entry - one closet also has a set of drawers, shelves, in-room safe, and iron/ironing board. Lighting is contemporary halogen recessed lighting around the room, and lamps for ambient lighting. Another nice touch is that lighting for the bedroom area, as well as the ceiling fan, are both located on each side of the bed; this also goes for the A/C thermostat - all within reach when your head is even resting on the pillow! Flat screen TV in bedroom area; another TV, along with CD/DVD player in sitting area (which also contains sofa and small bistro table with two upholstered chairs). Balcony overlooks swim-up pool and lagoon beyond that. While we didn't have any plumbing problems, our friends had CONSTANT problems with the toilet stopping up - to the point that they were using the cabana bathrooms by the pool by the end - I can understand some idiosyncracies, like not getting enough towels one day, or having an in-room coffee pot that doesn't work, but it is OUTRAGEOUS to pay this kind of money and not have a working toilet in your room! It might seem like we are in a third-world country based on some of the local color, but we certainly aren't paying third-world prices!
Pools - while the pools are not heated, they are quite clean and well-designed. I love the in-pool chaises, both in the swim-up and the main pool. Other reviewers are correct in that there is a pool for all types - and all have bars in close proximity. Yes, towel game is in full force here. It IS annoying to see someone "reserve" a chair at 8am, only to return at 2pm and use it for an hour, and then "reserve" it again until the pool closed (I guess they came and picked up their paperback book after dark?)
Bars - again, a style for all types (sports bar, tea room, cigar lounge, etc.) Our favorite tended to be Don Miguel's, as we ended every evening there - it was never crowded, and it had the wonderful aroma of amaretto - probably due to the many coffee drinks they offered!
Nightlife - it's true that this resort doesn't cater to the college crowd. A jazz band played in the courtyard in the evening, the shows in the palenque were of about the same quality as other resorts we have been to, and then a cover band played in the courtyard later in the evening. However, we were turned OFF by the Bongo Loco recruiter (or whatever he was called), harassing us IN THE SPORTS BAR at the resort to pay only $55 per person to go to this nighclub in town that night (the bus would pick up at 10:30pm and bring you back at 3:30am - no THANK YOU!) claiming that he had a special agreement with the resort to offer us this low low price. It was offensive, intrusive, and annoying, to say the least. This also went for the "local vendors" who set up shop around the courtyard one evening - again, this really cheapened the experience for me. If I had wanted to be approached by these folks "harking their wares" I would have taken the shopping trip to Playa.
Beach - I don't understand what all of the complaining was about in others' reviews; the beach is great. It is separated into a rocky area; then sandy surf with lounge chairs, palapas, and bar staff to cater to you; then the sporty end with sand volleyball, non-motorized water sports, etc. It was super-windy each day we were there (red flag warning), but that wasn't the resort's fault.
Restaurants - this is Valentin's downfall. While my first experience at the French restaurant was wonderful, my companions didn't agree - and it went downhill from there. My husband and I are NOT picky eaters (trust me - we'll try just about anything), and I couldn't put my finger on it, but it seemed that most every menu item missed the mark. The presentation was excellent, and the waitstaff couldn't have been more attentive (and this went for EVERY a la carte restaurant that we visisted), but we all walked away disappointed after every meal. To top it off, we ALL came down with Montezuma's revenge by the time we left (swapping the Immodium box back and forth in the airport is the most memorable part of the trip, unfortunately).
Resort in general - while the size of the resort was perfect (big enough that it never felt crowded, yet small enough to get from one end to the other in a matter of minutes), it was the food that ultimately killed it for us - while we certainly weren't expecting gourmet of Wolfgang Puck proportions, because we were at an all-inclusive we wanted to be able to enjoy our meals, and that just didn't happen - especially by the end, where some of us couldn't even hold down a meal! All in all, we won't visit this resort the next time we go to Mexico.

6 Thank Shannon V
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2009

This is our second time in a 5 star Mayan resort and our first time at the Valentin. We were completely satisfied with everything at this resort. It was exactly what we expected from the service, to the food to the room etc. A short drive from the airport makes it quite appealing to us since we were only there for 4 nights and we didn't want to spend any extra time travelling.
The resort is impeccable. The rooms had marble floors and spacious bathrooms with high end fixtures, tub and showers and a great comfortable bed!
The bar service on the beach was the best. The staff would bring us drinks even if we were sitting at the very far end of the beach area...we didn't even have to get up for a drink if we didn't want to! Tipping gets you more at this resort though so be prepared. The beach is a nice walking beach but the water was quite rough this time of the year.
There were 3 restaurant choices for lunch and 9 for dinner. The food was what you would expect for Mexican all inclusive and very well prepared with nice outdoor and indoor seating areas.
The evenings were highlighted by a live band in the outdoor courtyard which was amazing. However if you are looking for more nightlife at the resort, it is limited.
All in all we were impressed with this upscale yet relaxed resort. We would definately return!

Lebanon, New Hampshire
Reviewed February 18, 2009

I wanted very much to give this a 5 start rating... It was that good! Near-Perfect! I would reserve a 5 star rating for a resort that was absolutely perfect in every way. (This is almost impossible).. but the Valentin almost got there!

Check in: This was probably the worst part of the trip, and it wasn't bad at all! A short wait in the lobby (about 4 mins in line) and then we checked in. Make sure you bring a print out of your confirmation. I had not, and had to access my conf. number on my iPhone. Not a problem, they found it with that. Only problem was that they did not have our $100 spa credit in the system. I had to physically print it out and show them the paper for them to give us the credit, even though I showed them the reservation in my email on my iphone. This was the only annoying part of the trip. We were there at 2:30, she gave us a map of the resort and we went to get lunch. When we got back shortly after 3 our room was ready. Room 13205. I had emailed previously to say it was our honeymoon and we wanted building 11 or 12, but they obviously didn't get that email.

The Room: #13205. It was PERFECT! Probably even better than buildings 11 or 12. 14 and 13 are ocean-front rooms that are closest to the beach and main buildings. We had a gorgeous view of the ocean from our balcony (which I understand is not always the case). Very clean and spacious. Modern decor, separate area for toilet and bidet, large rainshower style shower, and the best part of the room, the large jacuzzi overlooking the ocean. It has sliding glass doors that you can keep closed, or open to feel the breeze! Absolutely gorgeous. This was perfect. Only 1 problem; a lamp in the room was semi broken. We had house-keeping remove it, and I wasn't expecting another one back. Later that afternoon they returned with a brand new lamp. The only disappointment was no decor in the room for our honeymoon (I've seen pictures of this and was expecting it...) however, that night when we returned from dinner, turn down service had decorated our room with rose petals and towel art! I loved it!

Beach: This is EXTREMELY important to us. We are definitely beach people. The beach at the Valentin is GORGEOUS. It is nice and large. There's a private beach area in front of the ocean front buildings. Great for privacy and lounging, but not for swimming. The main area is much better for swimming. When you first walk onto the beach (where the beach bar is) it's a little rocky when you first go in (pebbles on the ocean floor) but this is a natural beach and pebbles are expected. Farther to the left there is a roped off swimming area, and this is completely sandy. The water is very blue, and beautiful! It was quite rough while we were there (all over the Yucatan they were having rough waters) and they had red flags up. We still went in everyday, but only to a depth where we could stand and jump in the waves. I thought it was a gorgeous beach, and Ive seen many beautiful beaches in Greece, and through cruises throughout the Caribbean.

Pool: This was also perfect! Large, not too busy, and beautifully designed. There were 2 swim up bars, it looked like only one was being used throughout the week. It was never over crowded. Every day at 3 there is a 'crazy game'. The girl who MC's this has the most annoying voice ever.... so we'd just avoid the pool at 3pm. Even though we're beach people, we actually really enjoyed this pool! Not too cold like some people mentioned... It was hot while we were there (average of 83-85 for a high every day) so it was a perfect temperature for me! Plenty of chairs. You do need to put a towel out early to reserve a spot in the shade if that's what you like (same on the beach) but I believe this behavior is unavoidable. All in all a perfect pool area!

Food: The food here was very good! It ranged from excellent to very good. We loved breakfast. It had pretty much everything you can think of. Selection of fruits, cold cuts, cereals, hot oats, standard scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hash brown, and some mexican food as well like quesedillas. They also had fresh omelet stations (you could have an omelet, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, whatever you want!) They had a crepe station, as well as french toast, waffles, pancakes... you get the idea! Mimosas, bloodymary's and an assortment of fresh juices as well were available. Breakfast was one of our favorite meals! Lunch was probably our least favorite meal; it wasn't bad, just nothing really thrilling. The best thing to get (in our opinion) was fresh fish grilled in front of you, chicken grilled in front of you (they had tortillas so you could have fajitas), or a burger grilled in front of you. Their guacamole was very good, but not the best I've had. The rest of the lunch buffet items didn't thrill me. We were so full from breakfast we actually skipped lunch a few days to give ourselves a break. Dinner was more varied, depending on where you went and what you ordered. Our favorite restaurants were the Mexican (La Hacienda) and the Indonesian (Taman Sari). I didn't think I'd like Indonesian and it was fabulous! Don't miss the Pad Thai, Duck, Steak, and Chicken Tandoori. The Mexican was also delicious! This was our favorite and everything we had was fabulous! French was our 3rd favorite. It definitely wasn't bad, just not the best French we've had. The Chateaubriand was excellent. The Salad Niciois (I think that is spelled wrong) was not that good. Sushi at Ginger (Japanese restaurant) was fabulous! We never ate here for a main meal, but we'd often go for sushi first before going for our main dinner. The Italian (Il'Olivio) was just average. I usually love Italian food and wasn't thrilled with this restaurant. The risotto was not good, but the Shrimp Cannelloni (main dish) was very good. It all depends on what you order. In the end, if you don't like something, order another dish or go to another restaurant! We only encountered a wait at Lobster Pot and Tierra (they are connected down on the beach).. they had a 45 minute wait, so we decided to skip it and go to Taman Sari again. They never had a wait and their food was delicious! We were there 8 nights, went to Taman Sari 3times, and La Hacienda twice, we loved them both! The Mexican Night buffet in the plaza was also very good. You will NOT go hungry at this resort.

Drinks: We're not huge drinkers, so I wasn't overly picky about certain types of alcohol used. When I wanted Bacardi or Absolut or whatever, I would just specify and they were more than happy to use it. All the drinks I had were very good. Not very strong though. It doesn't matter when it's free though, you can have all the drinks you want! Mojitos were great (our drink of preference).

Service: Excellent with a few blips. They were all happy to serve you, with a big smile on their face! Many waiters learned our names and greeted you every morning and afternoon. I did not encounter 1 person who wasn't willing to help. Only small blips were this. We had reliable house keeping every day. Reliable turndown service first 3 nights. The 4th night we were exhausted from a long day excursion and slept in and didn't make it out for dinner. I think they tried to come for turndown and left because the room was locked. After that, we did not receive turndown service again. This wasn't a huge deal, but something to mention. The only other blip was in the Japanese restaurant (ginger) the last night we were there. Our waiter got our sushi order wrong (we got 2 dishes of the same thing! haha)... but no worries, we ate both of them no problem!

Resort as a whole: ABSOLUTELY STUNNING. It's hard to convey through pictures how beautiful it is. I loved the walks from our building to the restaurants, the beach, the pool, etc. I did not think that it was much walking. If you are someone who can walk a mall, this is no problem. Also, there are lights along the pathways to help you see at night. There was a full moon when we were there, and I did not think it was too dark at all. I recommend you walk around the first day you are there to familiarize yourself with the resort (go explore!) and you'll be just fine! Entertainment was fine; we weren't really interested most nights, but sometimes we'd pop into the theater to take a look. The Hollywood show was nice, and we loved the fire show in La Plaza. There was always a nice band playing in La Plaza. Many smaller bars to have a drink and relax. Definitely do a bike tour, or just grab some bikes yourself for a ride, it was really fun and a great way to see the resort! The Spa was great too, very modern and clean. Comparable prices to a high end spa in any major city in the U.S. (aka not cheap). We just loved strolling around this beautiful resort, relaxing on the gorgeous beach, and eating and drinking the entire week.

All in all this was a fabulous vacation. I cannot imagine how someone doesn't like this place. We did have a oceanfront room, but I would be happy with their standard rooms, they all look beautiful. I couldn't give it a 5 because of the few instances I mentioned, but we loved this place and cannot wait to return!

26 Thank andiegav123
Chicago
Reviewed February 18, 2009

On the whole, Valentin is a good value for your money. I would not rank it as high as some of the other AIs I have been to in the Playa/Cancun area but it was a very nice getaway nonetheless. We stayed from the 14th-17th and experienced a few negatives and several positives when comparing this resort to other AIs or non-AIs we have stayed at in the area. Here is my take on the resort.

Check-in: Overall, ok. We were immediately provided with Champaign and cool towels. My bag was immediately taken from me and I was told to relax...also very nice. We did have to wait to check in (we arrived at 10:30 am) and check in could use some modernization (there were only 2-3 people checking-in guests and checking-out guests). We didn't wait too long but after we checked-in we were told we would need to come back at 3:00 pm to get our room (and would need to wait in line again to do so). We were exhausted from traveling since 10 pm the night before but expected the wait and didn't complain. We were surprised with the fact that after we left check-in we ran into our bell boy (who must also check in guests on other days) who talked with someone else checking-in guests and got us into a room right away. This was rather confusing (why did one person indicate rooms were ready, and others did not)? We were grateful for the room, however, and tipped accordingly.

Rooms: Overall, ok rooms. Rooms were smaller than previous AIs and non-AIs we have stayed at in the area but still spacious. I was disappointed with the view (no real view other than a few trees) but heard the ocean view in other rooms was nice. The bed was nice and comfortable and the mini-bar well stocked with water, soda and beer. Jacuzzi tub for one was nice and working. No turn down service but that was expected based on other reviews given our standard-room category. There was a bit of an issue with the toilet (noticeable sewage smell in the toilet area itself) and the air conditioning did not keep the room cold (other guests said the same of their rooms on account of the air conditioning). We like our room a little cold when we are staying at a hot location so maybe its just a personal preference.

Pool: Huge, huge pool that was just beautiful. We really enjoyed the fact that the pool was so expansive and the swim-up bar was full of friendly people. The chair game is in full force at this resort, as with most (but not all) resorts in the area. If you want a shady spot be prepared to wake up between 6-7 am. We wanted to sleep in on vacation so this was a little irritating but what can you do? I just jumped out, grabbed a spot and went back to sleep for an hour or so.

Beach: Seemed nice, I only went out briefly to the beach (we are pool people mostly).

Other guests: We met such nice, friendly people on this trip and consider this one of the best resorts (if not the best) for meeting other friendly guests. Everyone we met was there to have a great time, laughing, smiling, and conversational. This isn't something we have always experienced at other AIs and made the trip all the more enjoyable. It really does make a big difference since we are sociable people and like to mingle with other guests. Casino night in particular was a blast.

Food: This was one of the highlights of this resort. The French restaurant was to die for (chateaubriand was divine). The Italian restaurant and Indonesian restaurant were also outstanding (try the Pad Thai...so delicious). The breakfast made to order crepes, also very enjoyable. Never a long wait, if any, at the breakfast and lunch buffets and we always found something tasty for lunch, breakfast or dinner. If you go to the French and Italian restaurant at peak times (7:30-8:00) expect to wait 45 minutes to an hour…not a big deal, just grab a drink while waiting. I think the food is a highlight of the resort as other AIs we have stayed at really lacked in the food-area. I don't think you will be disappointed with the food here.

Spa: (Note: I'm biased here as I've visited some of the best spas in the U.S., Mexico, and internationally in Europe.) The facilities themselves were fine, relaxing but not extravagant. I'd say fairly average for what you should expect from a higher end spa (which, based on the prices, this spa should be in the category of). We both had massages and facials and agree that the massages were heavenly, my boyfriend fell asleep for most of his and I was super relaxed after mine. The facials were not really up to par and I'd spend you money on a massage if you go to the spa for services.

As a side note (and this could be a coincidence and, if so, I apologize), I think this resort may have issues with its electricity sometimes. Last time we stayed in the Cancun/Playa area (about 10-11 months ago) they moved most of the guests at the Valentin to the resort we were staying at at the time due to a power outage of several days. When we stayed at Valentin, the power went out around 10-11 pm one night. We were a little scarred we would have to move to another resort but they got the issue fixed (with the lights switching on and off periodically for an hour or so). The only reason I'm inclined to think they have power issues is the previous time this happened at Valentin, the fact that you cannot lower your room temperature very far and the room was not cold, and the fact that the resort is so incredibly dark at night. We had a hard time getting back to our room at night and I highly, highly recommend bringing a flashlight if you plan on staying out later and try to head back to your room. Perhaps the power outages were just a freak accident the last two times we visited the Cancun area, however.

5 Thank ChiGal27
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2009

Just returned from the Valentn Imperial (Feb 9-16) and would like to our comments to others considering this resort. Before leaving we read many reviews on this resort, both the good and the bad. We had made a few requests based on some reviews we read before leaving. 1. 2ND floor room with a clear ocean view. 2. Advised in advance that this was our Honeymoon.

This was our experience at this resort during our stay and a few people we spoke with had the same feelings.

Check In-Out:
Our check in service was much different as when we arrived there were only two other people there at the time. Greeted with champagne and guided quickly to reception. Check in was prompt and very courteous. Both requests were acknowledged at check in. We were driven by car to our room and given an optional tour of the resort along the way. (We declined) Check out was the same, quick and pleasant.

Our Room:
Oceanfront Suite #13202. Our room was amazing; perfect view of the ocean with all the privacy those others rooms did not seem to offer. King bed, double sinks, separate shower, separate room with toilet and bidet and a four person Jacuzzi with windows that open up to a view of the ocean. A bottle of champagne was in the room upon arrival. (Honeymoon special) The oceanfront room was more expensive but the extra money was well worth the extra privacy and what appeared to be better service. We did view a few other rooms and nothing seemed to compare. (We did not view the ground floor oceanfront rooms, but it there is no view to the ocean from these rooms)

Service:
There is much to say about the service, but to summarize it was excellent, 5 star. The employees were always smiling and willing to fulfill almost any request. Use the room service to order food. In our case it was delivered in approximately 30 minutes and set out in room as if we were out for dinner. We order breakfast, lunch and late night snacks.
Our Jacuzzi did not operate properly the 2nd night but after one phone call staff had rectified the situation the next day. To us, we found this to be a small issue.

Restaurant and bar service was quick and if you had any special requests, they were looked after as soon as possible. Drinks were good, some premium brands some domestic. Be specific when you order drinks, they appeared to have everything we ordered. (Bacardi Dark, Absolute etc.) We found the best drinks to be at the pool bar, and the specialty bars located around the resort.

Food:
All the restaurants we ate ranked between 7 out of 10 to 10 out of 10. Portions are small but they include an appetizer, soup, salad and dessert. If you want more you can surely order more. If you enjoy hamburgers and French fries you may be disappointed. Try all the restaurants, you can view the menu before you dine and make your decision they offer almost something for everyone. Our two favorite restaurants were the Mexican and the Japanese but again all were very good.

Facilities:
The pool was great. Large enough to relax without feeling crowded. During our stay lounge chairs were at a premium so go early, find a spot and drop your towel. We are early risers so that was our first stop of the day. We spent a great deal of time at the pool so we wanted a good location. Beach was nice, during our stay the red flag was out every day so swimming was at your own risk. We did get in one day for a quick swim. Bar, towel service was provided almost everywhere. (Beaches, pools etc.)

The ambiance and grounds were above and beyond our expectations. It is hard to describe but the walks between dinner, drinks and the pool set the tone for the day. We considered it busy to see more than 5 or 6 people on the same path at one time. Landscaping was beautiful, and although a little dark at night it was very romantic.

Nighlife:
Every night the main square had some sort of music, band or DJ. 75% of guests are in their rooms early and the entire square usually closes down by 1 AM at the latest. It is a great place to sit, have some drinks, dance and meet other hotel guests. If you are looking for more excitement both Cancun and Playa de Carmen are close by.
Each night they had a different show in the auditorium, which we found to be not on par with the rest of the resort. People come and go from the auditorium during the show, so if it is not what you are looking for head to one of the specialty bars or main square.

Finally, we went to relax and enjoy some sun. They offer lots of activities during the day if you are inclined. We did not hear any of the horror stories from other reviews while we were there and would return again in the future.

30 Thank Mitter71
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#35 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#39 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!