“Phenomenal Get Away!”

Valentin Imperial Maya
Reviewed June 27, 2014

First of all... if you rate this spot any lower than a 4 star, you are probably letting extraneous things get to you on vacation!! (i.e. other travelers, weather, etc) Don't be that traveler! Enjoy your few days away and just relax!

This spot is a little chunk of heaven. Upon arrival you are greeted warmly and given a cool cloth, told "welcome home" and directed into check in.

At this point, you may or may not have a room ready (depending on your arrival time), but regardless, you can start taking advantage of pool, restaurants, and the facilities.

The whole resort is beautiful, and even at 100% capacity, we never felt crowded, pushed aside, or unattended to. We were lucky enough to have an Emerald suite in building 11, and felt it was a fantastic location. Being on the 2nd floor we could see the ocean through the palms and hear the waves, but we were some of very few who had that kind of view. No one in this resort will have a completely unobstructed view of the beach. It won't happen, so don't go in with that as your expectation and you will be just fine! This is vacation, don't worry about the views... walk to the beach if you want to see the ocean! They are clean, soft white sand, have a cool breeze and plenty of chairs and palapas for the taking! We even enjoyed a game of beach volleyball. The bars are close enough to walk to, and the water was clear, cool, and refreshing. We had a school of angel fish playing around us each time we went into the water, which was very cool to see.

As far as restaurants go... this is our take.

They had fabulous food for Mexico resort standards! We enjoyed every meal. Most of it is not on the same caliber as "big city" food in the states. We have yet to find a resort yet that is -- even the "gourmet all inclusives". That being said, this was really good food!

Surprisingly, our favorite was the Indonesian. We do not eat much (any) Indonesian food here and decided to try something new. The Pad Thai and the Seafood Curry were the best food that I ate my entire trip!

Our second favorite was the French, the Filet Mignon was incredible - like melt in your mouth kind of good! The onion soup was great as well, and we have heard the baked Alaska is a must try, but were just too full to do so!

We also ate at the Japanese restaurant, hibachi and non-hibachi, and this was our biggest let down. If you don't have the pleasure of having a hibachi restaurant near your area at home, you should do it. It is a fun little show and a great atmosphere. However, if, like me, this is one of your favorite foods -- I'd skip it. It just isn't quite up to par with home for me. Still ok, will just skip it next time. The non-hibachi was also just ok. Sushi is pretty good in the Dallas area and this wasn't that great. Same goes for the rest of the food. I did really enjoy the tempura appetizer!

We ate breakfast and lunch every day at Mar and Tierra on the beach. It was the best view, comfortable enough with the breeze, the selection was fine, and we had outstanding service! We went every day because of Omar. He was a pleasure to see and never let our mimosas get more than halfway empty!

We chose to tip at every meal. Not because we had bad service without it, but because the people at the resort were so kind and work so incredibly hard for what they have. We are talking 11 hour days (minimum) with only one day off per week. So we felt it was only fair to leave a few dollars at each sit down meal. It was truly the least we could do!

The best part of the trip was that fact that you could find a spot to be to suit your needs regardless of your desired activity or non-activity level. If you wanted to hang out in the pool and have some good drinks by the bar, there was always room and always neat people to meet. We met some really great couples that we have exchanged info with!

If crowds and drinking aren't your thing, or if a group is being a little too rambunctious (this happened with a couple of wedding crowds during our stay), no big deal, head over to the "lazy river" pool or head to the beach. You are never too far from water to cool off in and you are never too far from drinks. You really can find whatever atmosphere you prefer if you just go look for it! Don't let others ruin your fun.

The main pool, as many have stated, is HUGE. We are early risers, so we would go set our towels out and then head to breakfast. Our towels were never moved, and we never saw anyone struggle to find a seat--- they may just not have gotten their first pick. Honestly, I don't think we sat in our pool chairs a single time. They were mostly just a home base for reapplying sunscreen and drying off to go to the bathroom. Spots on the beach were a little harder to come by, so if you want to hang out in a chair all day sunning, you may need to head down there to pick out a spot by 8 or so.

****Best advice we can give is to bring a collapsable cooler. There is an ice machine at each building and you can take the drinks from your minibar along to the pool or beach with you. The bars on the beach will also give you cans to pack into it! Keeps them cold all day long -- especially great to have on the beach where you can't float to a bar...*****

We brought plenty of sunblock (reapply often!!) and bug stuff, but didn't need that at all. I am assuming that it depends on the weather as to if you really battle the bugs or not. I will pack it again next time though -- better safe than sorry!

We chose to go into Playa one evening and had a great time with another couple having dinner and shopping. Felt very safe the entire time. It will cost you a pretty penny though. About $60 round trip in a cab, we had a very nice dinner for about $80 (with drinks and apps), and then shopping. But it was worth it and lots of fun.

We also did one half-day excursion to go swim in a cenote and with the sea turtles. Great time was had by all. Just prepare to be gone longer than you expect (or are told). It would also be a good idea to plan this earlier in your trip rather than later. We did ours on our last full day there and wished we had more pool time later or another day to chill and relax.

Think that is about it! Go and have fun! We had so much that we are already booking another trip for September or October!

8  Thank Kylie M
F T, Customer Care at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Dear Kylie M,

Thank you for such wonderful comments regarding your vacation. In the name of all the Valentin Imperial Maya, we want express our gratitude for contribute with this positive review.

Thank you for recommending our property. It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back at Valentin Imperial Maya!

Do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival so we can assist with a special attention and be sure that your stay surpasses all expectations.

Email : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Warm regards from the VIM.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

My wife and I travelled to the Valentin with my sister-in-law and her husband for a week (6/17-6/24). What an amazing time we had at the Valentin!! I have been to a few other all-inclusives in Mexico and Punta Cana, and the Valentin was the best overall resort I have been to. The property as a whole is maintained and manicured perfectly. Our airport transfer stopped at another resort before dropping us off (Secrets Silversands) and the entrance/area is not even comparable to the Valentin. The Valentin looks and is first class from the very front entrance all the way through to the beach!

We look for 3 things when we vacation to an all-inclusive: white sandy- swimmable beach, great food/alcoholic drinks, and a nice pool. The Valentin has all 3 and then the manicured grounds, nice rooms, terrific weather (rained just about 10 minutes the entire week), fun entertainment, and nice employees were a great bonus. We do not put a lot of preference into the room grade we stay at at all-inclusives. We stayed in the Deluxe Junior Suite (base room) and it was just fine with lots of space and everything we needed.

Beach: by far the best I have seen in Mexico (very comparable to the amazing Bavaro Beach in Punta Cana)! It’s huge, secluded from other resorts, has a great swimming area with no rocks and great fish, and a non-swimmable area (that is fun to walk and look at the small fish and crabs in the rocks). We would spend every day under a palapa at the beach until around 1pm when we left for lunch.

Food: the best I have had at any all-inclusive in Mexico or Punta Cana. The breakfast and lunch buffets were great with lots of selection. The dinner restaurants were unbelievable. We tried them all and were pleased every night! We arrived to dinner around 6pm every night (that’s when they open) and it was perfect. Never a wait and it always left us time for the entertainment and/or shows in the evening that begin at varying times every night between 7:30pm and 9pm. We didn’t have a bad dinner the whole week, but our favorites were the Italian (we went their twice), Ginger (Hibachi), and the French restaurant! The atmosphere, service, and quality of food were great! (We also ordered room service a few times which was a fun option for breakfast or an early evening appetizer).

Pool: Huge, refreshing, fun, and relaxing. We would make our way to the pool every day after lunch and hang out there the whole afternoon. We would hang out in both the louder party side and the quiet relaxing side. It was a great way to beat the heat and have great drink service.
I could go on and on about the fun shows and activities, great people watching (guests ranged from a lot of honeymooners in their 20’s all the way up to couples in their 60’s), easy check in and check out, and great amenities!

Tips:
- Bring Bubbas or insulated drink cups. We were glad we did! Keeps the drinks nice and cold.
- Bring a cheap blow up pool floatie. We were glad we did!
- Show up to dinner earlier rather than later (around 6pm). No waiting and then you don’t miss the night shows/music.
- Check out the beach at night. It was fun to watch the cruise ships all lit up on their way to Cozumel and see the glow of Cozumel!
- Take the included bike tour one morning. Great way to see the whole resort and learn a few things about the resort behind the scenes.
- Ask for your drinks with the specific brand of liquor you want. Great drinks!
- Bring snorkel gear for the fish in the ocean!

8  Thank EGS10

Dear EGS10,

Thank you for having chosen our resort for your recent vacation and for taking the time to post a positive review.

Thank you for recommending our property. It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back at Valentin Imperial Maya to celebrate your first anniversary!

Reviewed June 26, 2014

This is the second year in a row my husband and I stayed at the Valentin and it was fabulous! I was sick the first year and didn't get to do much but this year Was fantastic. We met the nicest people of all ages, we ate the finest meals and we drank the craziest drinks that I can't mention on here! lol Our accommodations were beautiful in the golden suites and worth the extra money. With the quiet pool steps from our building and open chairs galore it was perfect! We had a couple minor issues with the cleaning staff, no wash cloths one day and a dead bug in our bathroom which was never swept up. Other than those very minor issues The Valentin is definitely the place to go!!! We are now part of the Valentin Family! I want to give a shout out to the lovely drink server at the quiet pool, who's name unfortunately escapes me.

Room Tip: Golden suites are really great! Buildings 6 & 7 if you want quiet.
1  Thank Cindy M

Dear Cindy M,

Thank you very much for your review, we are so happy to hear that time after time , the efforts and dedication of our staff made such a positive impact on your vacation; it is an honor that you choose to keep returning to the Valentin Imperial Maya.

We have carefully reviewed the information you mentioned above , we have taken all of your observations up with the cleaning department in order to improve our service.

We look forward to welcome you back next year for your 3rd visit at the valentin imperial maya resort.

Please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival so we can assist with all pre arrival requests and be sure that your stay surpasses all expectations.

E mail : con.vir.vim@valentinmaya.com

Best regards,

Reviewed June 26, 2014

My husband and I spent five nights at the Valentin Imperial Maya from 06/10-06/15. My sister, her husband, and my father-in-law all went as well. Overall, we had a great time! I use TripAdvisor to make decisions about all of our trips, and the reviews I read always help. I hope that my review will give others a sense of what this resort has to offer. Just for some background, my husband and I have been to six different All-Inclusive resorts (5 in Mexico and 1 in Dominican Republic). We enjoy relaxing at the pools and beach, good food and drinks, and friendly environment.

Greeting/Check-In: We arrived at the resort pretty early (around noon). There were quite a few people waiting to check in when we arrived, but this process didn’t take too long. We were greeted with cool towels and glasses of sparkling wine. During the check-in process, we were given a map and a brief explanation of where different places were at the resort. Our rooms were not ready, but I didn’t expect them to be considering we arrived so early. We were told that our rooms would be ready around 3:00, so we decided to have some lunch at Le Marché while we waited. Around 3:00, we went back and were informed that two of our rooms were ready. We all went to one of the rooms, and the luggage was brought there for the couple whose room wasn’t ready. It didn’t take long for their room to be cleaned, so we just relaxed for about 45 minutes.

Rooms: We booked a standard Deluxe Junior Suite. We were assigned room 5105. Our travel agent requested a king size bed for all of us (3 rooms), and we were all accommodated with this request. I emailed guest services a couple of weeks before to request a king size bed and let them know that it was our anniversary. I received a quick reply from Jose Vazuez in Customer Care, and he let me know that they would try to honor my request but that it was based on availability at the time of arrival. I was satisfied with the response and thought it was nice to receive such a prompt reply. Overall the room was nice. It wasn’t anything fancy, but the housekeeping service did a good job of cleaning the rooms. Our room was decorated with rose petals and towel designs for our anniversary, and we received a bottle of sparkling wine and a dessert. I thought that was a nice touch. I’ve stayed in nicer rooms, but we didn’t mind because we were really only in the rooms to sleep. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom area was nice. There was a nice sink area, a bath tub, a separate toilet area, and a shower. The closet space was ample as well. We had a small patio area outside the sliding doors. Ours had mostly a view of vegetation and a walking area. The location of building 5 was great. The main pool was very close to our room. Mar y Tierra restaurant was also very close, so we had breakfast there each morning. The building was a little walk to the main area where most of the restaurants were, but it wasn’t too bad. There was a lot of shade provided by walking through the tree-lined sidewalks.

Restaurants: We thought the food at the Valentin was really good. I personally don’t like it when people complain about a specific meal. I mean, come on…just try something else if you didn’t like it. We ate at most of the restaurants and enjoyed almost all of them. The buffets (Le Marché and Mar y Tierra) for lunch were just okay. I wish there were a couple of other a la carte options during lunch, but this wasn’t a deal-breaker. The first evening we were there, we ate at Mar & Tierra. Our servers, Ricardo and Samora, were great. My husband and I tried the Argentinian turnovers, zucchini, filet mignon with gorgonzola sauce, and the ribeye. We really enjoyed this meal, and there was a nice breeze from the beach. The next evening our group went to L’Alsace, the French Restaurant. There was quite a long wait for dinner this evening. Having a group of five likely made our wait a little longer. We did enjoy the food once we were able to eat though! My husband and I had the lobster bisque (great!), the filet mignon, and the stuffed chicken. For dessert, my crème brulee was delicious. My husband had the Alaska suffle, which had a great presentation. Christian was our server here, and he was very attentive. My sister and father-in-law even tried the escargot, and they actually liked it. Ginger was a great restaurant. My husband and I love sushi and thought the selection was nice. We enjoyed sitting at the sushi bar so much that we actually came back again the next night! Victor was our server at Ginger, and we always made sure to keep the wine flowing. We thought he was great! L’Olivo was really good as well. I had the spinach and ricotta ravioli, and my husband had the seafood cannelloni. I really liked the ambiance in this restaurant as well. Finally, La Hacienda (Mexican) was good as well. I tried the chicken burrito, and my husband had the tequila skewers. Our server, Juan, was nice and energetic. The service here was fast. We didn’t try the Indonesian restaurant or The Corner (extra cost). We also had a few things from room service during our stay. My husband really liked the shrimp dish and the chocolate mousse, and the shrimp alfredo was good as well. Room service was pretty quick as well, and the people delivering it were always friendly.

Drinks: We loved trying different drinks at the bars and restaurants. We aren’t huge on really sweet drinks, but we did like tasting the different ones they could make. You never know what the bartenders can make at different resorts, so we liked asking other people what they were drinking and tried new things. I liked that the bars offered Grey Goose vodka and other top shelf varieties as well. The Don Miguel bar made great drinks, and we enjoyed going here in the evening. I loved the French Martini there. We liked hanging out in there while someone was playing the piano one evening. My sister and I love to drink wine, but we definitely aren’t wine snobs. We thought the house wine was good, and we had this on many occasions (even from room service).

Pools/Beach: We spent most of our time at the Main Pool. We joked during our stay because we never even saw the other pool with the “lazy river.” The main pool area was huge and nice. It was right outside of our building, and we never had trouble finding chairs. The swim-up bars were nice as well and provided fairly quick service. For such a large resort, the pool area did not feel too crowded. The only part I found annoying were the ridiculous number of cabana beds reserved for privileged guests that were never used. It would not have been so strange if people were actually using them. I honestly saw two couples during my entire stay that used one of the maybe 30 beds near the end of the pool we chose. The beach was pretty, but I didn’t enjoy it. I’m usually a beach person, but I did not enjoy having to walk so far to the area where we could lay under a palapa. Most of the close chairs/beach beds were only for privileged guests. This was a turnoff to us again because NO ONE was using them. The water was pretty rough the day we chose to hang out on the beach. It was kind of a workout being in the ocean…Haha! I did think the beach was pretty, but it was not worth it to me to take the long hike to an area we were allowed to use. Getting a drink on the beach took quite a while too, whether you get it yourself or wait on the beach service.

Staff/Service: We agreed with many reviews I read before coming about the service. We thought almost all staff members were friendly and helpful. Many servers and bartenders were happy to comply with specific requests. I think this makes the Valentin a great resort. I would definitely consider coming back here due to the level of service and friendliness of the staff. We appreciated their attentiveness in the restaurants and around the resort. Their hard work did not go unnoticed. Thank you!

Overall: We enjoyed our stay at the Valentin Imperial Maya. We would recommend this resort to others. Was it my favorite place? No. I wasn’t a huge fan of house large the resort was, but I wouldn’t hold this against the resort in my review because I knew that before booking. It was definitely a nice, relaxing trip. The only con that we felt was worth mentioning was the idea of having a privileged section. I understand that some people want to pay extra to have a reserved place every day. This would have been nice if the upgrade wasn’t so expensive. That’s probably why we didn’t see many people at all in those areas (empty beds at pool and beach all week). The staff was very nice, the rooms were clean, the food and drinks were good, and the pool was great! Thanks for a nice vacation! Feel free to message me with questions about our stay.

Room Tip: Request a room with a king size bed, as these aren't always available. We loved the standard ro...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
13  Thank JessInAR
F T, Customer Care at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2014

Dear JessInAr,

We are pleased to learn that your stay at Valentin Imperial Maya met your expectations and hope to be able to host you many more times in the future.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a vacation at the Valentin Imperial Maya. Nikki Bond, with Beach Bum Vacations, planned the trip for us and four other couples. Everything was planned for us from the booking of the resort, flight, airport transfers, etc. It was so nice not to have to worry about the little things, and Nikki was always just a phone call away to answer any and all questions. The resort itself exceeded our expectations. The pictures we found online do not do this resort justice. The resort is HUGE! It is perfect for those who like to run in the morning before getting the day started. Even though the resort was fully booked while we were there, it did not seem crowded at all due to the large size. We stayed in a junior deluxe suite in building 5. Since we don't spend very much time in the room, it was perfect for us. The king sized bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. Building 5 is just outside the pool and beach access, which was perfect. We spent most of our time at the gigantic pool, which has two swim up bars. There were plenty of chairs, but you have to go early if you want to snag a raft for the day. The bartenders at the swim up bar were excellent. There were several restaurants to choose from including Mexican, Italian, Hibachi, French, Steak and Seafood, and Thai. Our favorite was the Hibachi dinner. Everyone was extremely friendly. There are exercise classes offered daily. My friends and I took advantage of the Zumba classes, which were fun. The gym was small, but had everything needed for a workout. They had free weights, weight machines, treadmills, stair climbers, and exercise balls. The resort also offered a full service spa. I did not take advantage of any services, but a few of my friends had a massage on the beach, which they said was wonderful. There is also the option of having the services at the indoor spa. There are several bars. Our favorite was Don Miguel which is a quiet piano bar where we enjoyed pre-dinner drinks. The Sports Bar is fun for after dinner and has a fun atmosphere. There was a DJ in the plaza every night until 1:00, which was fun. The beach was beautiful, but we spent more time at the pool. There are several people available to help with booking excursions, as well, if you want to do something off site. Overall, we had a fantastic time at this wonderful resort. I would highly recommend the Valentin Imperial Maya to anyone thinking of going on an adult's only vacation to Mexico.

23  Thank awhite75
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Dear recent VIM Guests from Fishers, Indiana

Thank you for taking some of your time in posting this wonderful review, it is good to know you had a pleasant stay with us; this makes us feel very proud. Our team priority's is to be sure you have wonderful days at our resort.

It will be our honor to have you back in our amazing resort!

Reviewed June 25, 2014

This was our first trip to Mexico and our second all-inclusive vacation. As far as the location, I was blown away by the beauty of Mexico and this resort has a great beach. The food was not anything spectacular but we didn't expect it to be. The room was very large, we had the swim-up suit, and there are 2 pools, the one our room was off is the quieter and then there is a large party pool with swim-up bars. I had done my research prior to booking and one of the negative reviews mentioned the size of the resort and all the walking. This is true, but I think you are doing pretty well if that is one of the only issues with the resort. We are young so were fine walking from our room to the beach or restaurants but for those who didn't want to, they do have shuttles that come by pretty often or you can request pickup. Our main goal with this trip was spending as much time by the beach as we could and we were able to do that here. There are reserved beach cabanas for the "Privilege" guests, but there were also plenty of non-reserved grass "umbrella/huts" at the beach so we were always able to grab one. Same story at the pool - they have the reserved ones that were mostly empty, but we were able to find a covered spot at the pool as well. We had considered upgrading to the "Privilege" club but I don't think we needed it, so glad to save the money. I would recommend this resort to anyone not looking for a wild party experience in Mexico, it is much more of a relaxed location. Tip: check out Expedia for hotel/flight packages and be sure to look into the Turtle Snorkeling in Akumal, that was a bug highlight of our trip!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Michelle R

Dear Michelle R,

Thank you for coming to the Valentin Imperial Maya. We fell so happy to read that you have enjoyed yourselves.

Thank you again, and hopefully see you again here at Valentin Imperial Maya.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any requests you may have.

E mail : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Wishing you all the best,

Reviewed June 25, 2014

I am not going to say a negative thing about this resort. I will submit that there are no clear views of the beach from any room in the resort. Having said that, it was as expected, so there was no surprise here.
We stayed on the 3rd floor of building 1, Silver Suites. I found the room to be very comfortable and well kept. The king bed was comfortable even the view of the jungle from our balcony was beautiful and peaceful. I especially want to thank Maria for keeping our room so immaculate and our fridge stocked.
We are beach people so this matters to us a lot. This beach is a gem! We stayed from 6/14/14 to 06/21/14 and spent the bulk of our day there. We had no problem finding a palapa no matter if we came out at 9:00 or noon. We just had to walk a little further. Once we planted ourselves,we were good for the day. We had great service on the beach from Maricella, she did all the walking from the bar and we did our walking to the waves and back.(yes we tip) We had a sunny week with only one shower breaking up our beach time the whole week.
The main pool is huge with 2 different bars at opposing ends. It always seemed open and underwhelmed by the number of people in it.
I loved the food at this resort from La Marche at breakfast to Mar y Tierra for lunch. We ate at the French restaurant twice as the fillet was as good as it gets. At all restaurants the service was over the top as each seemed to try to outdo the each other. Suffice to say they kept our drinks full and the food flowing. We had great experiences at the other restaurants similarly. In order I would place the Italian and Ginger after the French and the Mexican after the others. This is according to personal tastes and not a reflection on service as all service was superb.
This is a very important point. I have never met so many people that were repeat visitors. Upon talking with many others and sharing resorts they had visited and their reasoning upon returning, I could fully understand the rational. It is a very nice resort with a beautiful beach, wonderful food, great service, at an affordable price.
I would like to close by giving special thanks to Erik at the front desk for his smooth check in and keeping our tabs straight when we were checking out..

4  Thank tommywho44

Dear tommywho44,

Thank you very much for your detailed comments. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, it is thanks to our guests' contribution, suggestions and comments that have the opportunity to target areas of concern and take necessary measures.

Warm regards and let us know as soon as you are ready to comeback; our great team will be ready to exceed your expectations again!!

Truly yours,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Secreto
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#61 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#20 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#37 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#43 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!