“Amazing Resort!”

Valentin Imperial Maya
Montreal, Canada
“Amazing Resort!”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We stayed one week at VIM last January in Golden Suite. Spent a beautiful time despite rainy and chilly weather. The drinks and food are excellent. The service impeccable! The room and ground well designed. We tried all restaurants except Italian. We repeated French three times because of interior atmosphere and the meal. Mexican restaurant also was very tasty and amusing.
The pools and beach are amazing - very clean and well organized. We loved our long beach walking every sunrise and sunset.
All personnel were very friendly and competent!
We applied for Loyalty Program and were promised to get our points by mail. Unfortunately still did not get any. Still waiting :))
We are very excited to book our summer vacation at VIM again!
See you soon Valentin!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Natalya S
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Natalya Montreal, Canadá

We are pleased that you loved it here; your kind comments really motivate us to continue and further improve our services, we will make sure to pass on your comments, the team will be thrilled to learn about their valuable contribution to making your stay a truly memorable one.

Thank you falso or bringing to our attention the Loyalty Program , we are very sorry to read that you still did not received your points , could you contact us once again at customercare@valentinmaya.com please .

Thank you again and all the best!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,575)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Beverly, New Jersey
Reviewed May 7, 2014

My husband and another couple went to this resort in August 2013. I cannot say enough about it. Its beautiful, the staff were amazing and attentive. Rooms were great. Moderately sized resort where everything is a short walk. Our building was near the pool and a very short walk to the beach. Food and restaurants were great. The entertainment staff was fun and engaging. Lots of activities all day. Service was amazing. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Our building was 4 which is close to the pool and beach.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christa W
Dear Christa from Beverly, Nueva Jersey

We are pleased to read the positive comments on your last stay at Valentin Imperial Maya. It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities.

Thank you for recommending our property and for considering our resort on a return visit to Mexico, please feel free to contact us. So we can assist with all pre arrival requests and be sure that your stay surpasses all expectations.

E mail : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Warm regards from VIM,
Cleveland, Ohio

OK here goes!
My husband and I stayed here from 5/2 to 5/6 and it definitely was not long enough! Firstly, let me say the property really is beautiful as many others have stated. I love that the resort is not one of the "high-rise" monstrosities. They have really tried to preserve the jungle and the natural beauty.

We booked a Golden Junior Suite and I had emailed customer care several times requesting a King Bed in buildings 6 or 7, both responses were they would note it but could not be guaranteed. I was therefore not surprised when we received a room in building 8 :) As it turns out this was a good location for us as we are beach people (but more on that later)

Probably one of the more frustrating aspects of the trip was check-in. We arrived at the hotel around 1.00pm, and understood check-in was at 3pm. We were greeted with towels to freshen up and then escorted to the lobby were we received a glass of champagne. After being asked for our passports we were then told to wait. We waited approximately 20 mins and then were asked up to the front desk. We were told our room was not ready but that it was a very nice room and worth the wait and would meet our requests. I asked which building and was told she did not know (then how did you know our room was not ready or that it would meet our request...) We were told we could use the facilities and to check back at 3pm for our room keys.

We made our way to Le Marche for a late lunch and I was very impressed with this "buffet" restaurant. It has to be one of the most elegant buffets I've ever seen. Food was good. After lunch we wandered a round a little and then at 3pm made our way back to check in. Our room was ready at this time and we were directed to another area to wait while the bell boy retrieved our bags and then we would be taken via golf cart to our room. This is were the frustration set in again. As one of the couples we met at this time put it "hurry up and wait" was a good motto here. We sat waiting for the bell boy and then when he brought our luggage he asked us to follow him to the golf cart area. We left our drinks (silly I know!) and then sure enough had to wait again. Other people arrived after us but were taken to their rooms first. Anyway we evenutally made it to our room and then our vacation really began. Shout out to Eduardo, our bell boy who we ran into a couple of times throughout our trip (mainly when I needed the golf cart) he was always smiling, polite and courteous.

While check-in didn't go as smoothly as I would like or have experienced elsewhere, once we let that go, our vacation was wonderful.

Here are my thoughts and recommendations and just opinions in general :) -

II'Olivo - EXCELLENT service and food, thoroughly enjoyed it here. Had wild mushroom risotto, Eggplant stuffed with vegetables, the chicken breast and the Beef medallions (not all MY food, I did share with hubby!!). I have to say, IMO the beef medallions here was the best beef we had throughout our stay. Emilio and Theresa waited on us and the service here was the best we experienced.

L'Alsace - VERY GOOD service and food. Service was good but we were spoiled by the staff in the Italian restaurant who were wonderful. Here we sampled the french onion soup - different to "traditional" US-style french onion soup but still very good, - the filet which neither of us particularly enjoyed (ordered medium, came well done) and the chocolate mousse for dessert (yum)

Mar & Tierra - OK service and food. Buffet style salad to start, shrimp cocktail, new york strip and filet mignon. Apparently we did not learn lesson from night before and filet was no better. Shrimp cocktail was good.

La Haciena - FABULOUS service and food. Ok we should not be surprised the Mexican restaurant had some of the best food! I only remember one of our waiters names - Guilermo, he was great. What didn't we eat here! I really do not remember everything but it was all delicious. If you like extra hot sauces then ask for the habenero chili. We went through 3 bowls of it and they thought we were crazy, it was really good!

We skipped breakfast after the first day (just because of our schedule) but it had the usual offerings plus some items you wouldn't expect to see at breakfast - cooked fish etc

We had lunch at Mar & Tierra each day (buffet style) and Abel was great. Freddy not so much. We missed Abel when he wasn't there. My husband in particular enjoyed the grilling stations set up for made to order burgers, fajitas, pasta etc. Menu changed daily and I was actually disappointed haha because the first day I fell in love with a couscous salad, then they never had it again! Nice selection of food each day.

Please please please read and follow the dress code. We met a couple who were angry because they weren't allowed in the a la carte restaurants because he didn't have long pants. For the most part we saw the dress code enforced (or at least most people adhered to it). Don't let long pants (or lack of!) ruin your vacation....

Our room was lovely. Nice size, the closets and drawer space I felt were adequate but poorly positioned. I'm used to having drawers in the bedroom, instead most of the storage is in the "hallway" but not a huge deal. Only used the jacuzzi once. Even after following the directions and filling it as required 2" past the highest jet, water went everywhere when we turned it on. Shower was ok, not the greatest pressure. For the size of the shower we were surprised no rain head or body jets. Privacy could be an issue for some couples as the toilet just has a glass door, but wasn't an issue for us.

We stayed in building 8 which initially I was concerned about the distance (it's about the furthest building from anything with the exception of 9 which is further) but after several days we learnt short cuts. (For going to the restaurants cut thru building 3 and it's only a few minutes walk!) Until we learnt these shortcuts we used the golf carts and they came fairly quickly. Only time we had to "wait" was one night after the show finished and everyone wanted a ride back to their rooms it seemed. We waited around 20 mins which wasn't too bad, especially when you have a drink in hand :)

The beach was beautiful. We stayed on the "quiet" beach each day and I think there are only about 20 palapas here and it really was peaceful. We only witnessed the towel game once here. Guy came out about 7am and didn't return with his wife til well after 11. Funnily enough there were still palapas available at that time! It was nice being so close to the sunset bar. Some people complained about lack of restrooms near by, for us this wasn't an issue as our room was fairly close.

Note about the "quiet" beach. You cannot swim here. Well you can try but you might get in trouble! If the staff were around they made you get out of the water. They are concerned for your safety as there is no lifeguard on this side and it is rocky in the water.

We did not check out the main beach during the day so I am not sure how it was over there or at the main pool. Certainly at the "lazy river pool" (buildings 6, 7 and 8) we always saw chairs available throughout the day.

Wifi was sketchy. Zero coverage at the quiet beach, spotty coverage in our room (building 8). What amazed me was zero coverage in the main lobby! Sunrise bar had good service. So that was an excuse to swing on the swings and check email :)

A couple of disappointments:

Bed was WAY too firm/hard. Didn't bother me, but hubby did not get a good night's sleep. That's ok, he took siestas on the beach!

I was disappointed in the drinks. No matter what I ordered it just wasn't done well, even with top shelf. Blended drinks especially were a disappointment. One lunch in Mar & Tierra, I lifted out a block of ice and set it on my side plate. Abel was on to it immediately and personally made me a fresh drink, even he said it was ridiculous, but sadly huge chunks of ice were the norm. But it wasn't even that, they just weren't "good" I don't know how else to say it! We have stayed at many other AI's and never had an issue.

Beach/pool bars closed early (at least the sunset and the lazy river bars did) They closed at 5 each day which was surprising as there were many people still out, so didn't understand it. Certainly nothing to ruin our vacation but just a little disappointing.

Many have said it but it is true, the people here are SO friendly. With the exception of maybe two or three, absolutely everyone we saw whether it be the maids, waiters, bellboys, gardeners was polite and friendly and HAPPY and genuinely seemed to care about you and whether you were having a good trip.

Well I said far more than I meant to, and probably missed a lot out!

Overall, even though I had some frustrations / disappointments, I think we would return. It's definitely a beautiful property and we found it to be extremely quiet, even though at almost full occupancy.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
10 Thank OhioUKgirl
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear recent VIM Guests from Cleveland, Ohio

Thank you very much for your full detailed review. We appreciate you taking the time to share the details of your experience. We certainly use the information to continue improving as we strive to provide the most memorable experiences for our guests.

On the other hand, thank you for bring to our attention the matters that need to be 'ironed out'. We certainly aim to deliver the whatever/whenever service promise and we are sorry to read this is not how it was perceived by you and your husband during your stay. We will make sure we look into the encounters mentioned in your review and implement measurements for this not to happen again in the future.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best Wishes
Palm Desert, California
Reviewed May 7, 2014

My Husband and I went here for a wedding so we did not research the resort at all our friends who were getting married did. We had the best time! The resort is well maintained the service couldn't have been better. The Japanese restaurants sushi is some of the best we have ever had. The whole experience was one that we will not forget and left us wanting to come back again as soon as possible! We especially like that it was an adults only resort.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear recent VIM guests from Palm Desert, California

We really want to thank you for the positive impressions you have published on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at our resort; we are sure this has helped many travelers to confirm that our Valentin Imperial Maya Resort is the perfect hotel for their vacation .

Once again thank you again for your comment and we hope to host you again in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival so we can assist with all pre arrival requests and be sure that your stay surpasses all expectations.

E mail : Email : customercare@valentinmaya.com

King regards from sunny Mexico
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed May 6, 2014

My husband & I stayed from April 19-26, 2014 in a Deluxe Junior Suite in Building 3. What attracted us the most was the number of repeat guests. We were also impressed that the staff takes the time to respond to all Trip Advisor reviews.

Likes:
Location (20 mins from Cancun Airport)
Landscaping (incredible, truly 5 star)
Lazy River
Beach/Beach Volleyball
Weather
Food (faves Italian, Mexican & Mar Y Tierra buffet)
Drinks
Wildlife
Room (quiet, close to everything)
Staff especially Jorge & Malaka (entertainment) and Uriel (martini bar)
Daily newsletter of activities

Dislikes:
orange juice at the buffet (the bottled juice in your room fridge is much better quality)
luggage delivery at check out was slow

Tips:
Wear lots of sunscreen or cover up!!! There is always a nice breeze at the beach but you'll burn.
Can use any pool. The ones for the swim up rooms are not just for them, there are no "private" pools on this property. We especially enjoyed the lazy river pool by Building 8, very quiet & the staff even bring you snacks & drinks!
Have luggage picked up early from your room on check out day or take it to the secure storage area at the entrance yourself so you won't be stressed out when your transportation arrives for the airport & it isn't there.
The birds like to fly around Le Marche Buffet. Recommend asking for a table in the dining room to the right (becomes the Indonesian restaurant for dinner) as there is an automatic sliding door that keeps them out or go to Mar Y Tierra instead.
Every restaurant gives a "starter" at dinner in addition to what is on the menu i.e. Mexican - nachos with 4 dips; Italian - bread with olive oil/balsamic for dipping; Mar Y Tierra has salad bar. If you are not a big eater beware! You probably only need 1 appetizer + your meal (unless you want dessert in which case you may wish to forego the app!)
Make sure you order at least 1 beef dish - you will not be disappointed! Recommend the tequila beef tower at the Mexican restaurant. The waiter flambes it at your table. The beef medallions at the Indonesian restaurant were also delicious.
If you like specialty coffee i.e. cappuccino, order it with your meal.
Go to the Martini Bar if you like frozen coffee drinks (ask for frappuccino especial!).
We had no problem getting loungers, palapas or a table at dinner. Maybe it was time of year?

Room Tip: Building 3 is close to restaurants. Deluxe rooms are well appointed so upgrading is not necessary.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank The_Slackjaws
F T, Customer Care at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear The_slackjaws,

Many thanks for sharing your experiences with future travelers, we enjoyed reading your feedback and are happy you had a great vacation at VIM.

Thank you also for bringing to our attention the orange juice in our breakfast buffet, your comments have been brought to the attention of the food and beverage manager in order to improve that service.

Thank you for recommending Valentin Imperial Maya. Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at any time.

Kind regards,
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

We've travelled lots, here it is from our view. Resort beautiful, service great, rooms good, beach nice, shows Ok. Again resort and staff condition well above norm. Disappointments: food. All inclusive still below cruise food, bland, just the one big disappointment for us. Policy on evening dress for long pants, closed toed shoes needs review. Worn nice shorts, collared shirt to dinner, nice shoes-no service. Booze good, pool good, service great food not so much. Adults only a plus 30-50 yr old crowd. No steaks, baked potatoes, room service somewhat bland.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jeff L
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Jeff from San Antonio, Texas

Although is pleasant to know that you valued our service, rooms and beach, we are really sorry due we did not satisfy your expectations with the points you have mentioned.

Though most of our guests really enjoy our culinary options, we understand that sometimes is difficult to cover all our clients palates, so please be assure, that your valued observations have been commented with our executive chef and your experience challenge us to continue with our creative options, in order to satisfy the most demanding of our client’s palates.

We do regret your experience once again and we very much appreciate your remark as these allow us to continue improving our level of service.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience, and we hope to welcome you again at our hotel.

Kind regards,
Wyandotte, Michigan
Reviewed May 6, 2014

before our trip i read all of the reviews from past guests. all of the good reviews were true, the food is excellent the staff is very friendly they make you feel comfortable and welcome. the rooms are beautiful im staying at the resort now im in a deluxe suit .5310 is a very nice room i havent seen the other rooms but if this is their standard room then any upgrade has to be georgeous. this is our
first stay at the valentin i have stayed at top notch resorts and i can say that this is one of them. everything is super clean. i have read past guests commets about the resort and their complaints and i have not seen nothing at all. they must me just hard to please people. all i can say is if you want luxury you will find it at this resort. all top shelf liquor and excellent food at all of the restaurants, i will be sad to go home , love this resort.

Room Tip: 5310 good location to pool and beach 3rd floor you can see some ocean view very nice room also has 2...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pamelanj1
Dear pamelanj1,

What a nice review, we are flattered to know you had such a pleasant stay at our property and thank you very much for sharing your thoughts here with others.

Every guest is special to us, this is why we try to establish an authentic relationship with our guests and find out about their preferences.

Thank you again, and hopefully see you again here at The Valentin Imperial Maya.

Warm regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Secreto
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#35 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#40 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!