“You can enjoy a second visit”

Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Reviewed December 25, 2013

There will always be comparisons, some better than you remember, some not as good, but our second trip was a pleasant, relaxing stay. Well worth the second visit.

Early December was a great time to visit before the holidays. Weather was terrific, except for a couple of brief showers (20 minutes).

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank StraightA51
F T, Customer Care at Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Dear recent guest,

Thank you very much for your review, we are so happy to hear that the efforts and dedication of our staff made such a positive impact on your vacation.

Our team is one of the most motivated as we love to know that our guests are having wonderful experiences. Your comments made us so happy and so proud to work in this little piece of Paradise.

Best regards and let us know as soon as you are ready to comeback; our great team will be ready to exceed your expectations again!

Email : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Write a ReviewReviews (12,260)

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Our stay was a great experience all around! The resort grounds and rooms were kept really neat and tidy. The beach is beautiful and I loved the soft ice cream machine at the beach bar. We loved the pool, and had great service from Renoldo and Elizabeth at the pool bar! You have a lot of options to choose from for eating but the food was just average. I liked that they kept good track of you as you come and go on excursions. We would for sure return.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Meagan J

Dear Meagan J,

We are grateful for your positive review published on Trip Advisor, It is really important to us to receive positive feedback as yours, and we are glad to know that we exceeded most of your expectations during your recent stay at Valentin Imperial Maya

Please be assured that we have shared your feedback with the rest of the team.

Truly yours,

Reviewed December 23, 2013

We stayed seven nights December 15-22nd and loved this resort. The weather was mostly lovely, save for two rainy days at the beginning of our trip. Our room was absolutely stunning. Prior to our trip, I emailed the resort to ask for an upgrade to an Emerald suite with a great view. The staff definitely delivered. We were booked on the second floor of building 11 and had an amazing ocean view from our balcony, shower, and jacuzzi. We were so glad we chose to pay the $350 it cost to upgrade.

We spent the vast majority of our trip on the beach, which is beautiful. Close to our building, there was one (non-swimmable) beach area with cabanas and chairs and a small bar. While my husband loved this particular beach because of its proximity to our room, I wish the staff kept the shoreline more clean here. There was a lot of seaweed and garbage washing up. The water was rough during our trip, so perhaps that had something to do with it. I preferred the bigger beach, which has a lifeguard and four rows of lounge chairs, including two rows of covered chairs. Those huts were very popular, and even when I arrived at the beach at around 9, most of them were already taken. That didn't bother me, as I love the sun and the beach was very breezy.

The beach bar is very cute, but we didn't have much use for it, as we don't drink. I did order plenty of non-alcoholic pina coladas,. and they were great. The cocktail servers were unpredictable about coming to our chairs to ask if we'd like anything....I'm not sure if this is because we weren't drinking alcohol, or what. We did tip our servers so I doubt it was that.

We didn't spend much time at the pool, as we are in Dallas and spend plenty of time in pools. :) Also, there seemed to be more of a party atmosphere, and we were more interested in each other and in the beach than in partying with other guests. The partying was not bothersome at all, though. The resort is big enough for there to be a fun atmosphere while still preserving the romantic, subdued mood for those who want to relax and keep to themselves.

The grounds of the resort are stunning. We really enjoyed the walks. Even though our building is set apart from the lobby area where most of the food is, the walk was not bad at all. The vegetation, wildlife, music playing, etc., were impeccable. The one time that there was a major downpour at dinner time, we tried to walk there and realized quickly that one umbrella wasn't going to keep us dry. A staff member in a golfcart graciously offered us a ride even though we hadn't called for one. :)

I had an 80 minute deep tissue massage at the spa with Manuel (I think that was his name), and the experience was great. The spa is very nice...the locker room space is smaller than some spas I have been to, but it was big enough. A staff member walked me to the locker room, waited for me, seated me on a sofa, and basically guided me through the entire process, which was great. The massage itself was excellent, and I'm somewhat of a glutton for massages, so I've had plenty at spas of all types. Manuel gave a true deep tissue massage, which is what I love. Not all therapists are capable of giving such a great massage! I'm glad I indulged in that service.

We spent one afternoon in Playa and enjoyed it. My husband particularly enjoyed visiting the cigar shops, as he is really into cigars. I enjoyed the cultural aspect of it, although of course it is a tourist town. We walked down the beach, which was nice. I saw another poster complaining about the cat-calls of the shop owners/workers trying to make a sale, and I agree it can be overbearing. That said, I have had the same experience in other places, such as tourist areas of Istanbul and Athens, so I certainly dont' think it is something wrong with Playa. It is just part of the experience and kind of funny. One shop keeper said, "Honeymooners? I can tell! She looks happy, he looks tired!!!" We thought it was quite cute and funny. :)

Back to the resort...food. Food was pretty good. Some of it was delicious and some was okay. We enjoyed the Mexican restaurant and ate there twice. My husband loved the Italian restaurant and, although I didn't love it, it was good enough. I wouldn't spend fine-dining cash on it at an outside restaurant if that makes sense. I enjoyed the sushi at Ginger....we wanted to do Hibachi but never could make it to the concierge's office by 9:15 to try to get a reservation (which is what you have to do to eat at the Hibachi place). We didn't try the french or the indonesian restaurant, but we did eat at the Corner (the extra cash restaurant). It was good. My husband (who eats a lot more steak than I do) raved about his steak, so that was a good sign. The ambiance was nice, as the Corner is outdoors near the water (where Mar and Tierra is located). I enjoyed having a special dinner to dress up for that wasn't ridiculously expensive like the beachfront dinner option was. We thought the lunch buffet and breakfast buffet were some of the best eating on the trip!!! I loved the option of having the cooks grill fresh shrimp, etc. at lunch. It was great.

For nighttime entertainment, we enjoyed the cigar bar a lot. My husband loves cigars and was happy with the selection and prices of the Cuban cigars at the cigar bar. I liked having a hookah or just a cappucino and relaxing there. The staff at the cigar bar was amazing! Very fast, knowledgeable, and friendly. It was nice to have such a relaxed after-dinner entertainment option that was not alcohol-centered. :)

The room service menu was a little too limited for our tastes. Several times we wanted just a snack, and the only snack in the room was potato chips. Room service had a couple snack-type choices, like french fries, a sandwhich, etc., but I would have preferred to be able to choose a fruit plate or veggie tray or even a more substantial appetizer selection.

Housekeeping was pretty good. Sometimes they forgot to stock our mini bar, but the ywere quick to come up when we called.

Aside from these minor concerns, everything was perfect. Generally, the staff at this resort was excellent! We loved the resort and hope to come back again someday! If you are looking for a perfect Riviera Honeymoon resort, look no further. :)

Room Tip: Rooms 8-13 (I think) are closest to the beach. The beach view is really only from the second floor...
5  Thank Claire J
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

Dear Claire from Dallas, Texas

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the VIM.

We are so glad to hear that the time spent for your Honeymoon with us was so memorable. It is always both refreshing and encouraging to receive such high commendation as we are constantly striving towards the highest possible standards. We will pass your praise and thanks on to all those who helped make your time with us special.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the VIM in the near future and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing the hotel on this occasion.

We wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

Reviewed December 23, 2013

AMAZING resort! Great food, wonderful service, beautiful (and clean) rooms - absolutely amazing lights decorating the resort at night!! (my fav!) Lots of entertainment and tour options available. Very romantic resort - perfect for honeymoons, anniversaries or just a getaway. We can't wait to go back there again!! The staff were very friendly and always wanting to help. Even though it's a busy season at the resort, it didn't seem overly crowded and there was lots of room at the beach/pool and minimal wait times at the various restaurants. It was well worth the extra cost to book the Valentin!! Absolutely wonderful resort and beach -- and food, food, food! We've travelled throughout the Caribbean and the Valentin is at the top of our list!

Many of the resorts near by have a rocky beachline, but the main swim area at Valentin is all sand and warm water -- in fact, people from other resorts would try and walk over to the Valentin beach to swim because it was so much better, which was also frustrating at times because they would use the Valentin's chairs and guests would have to go without sometimes -- you know they're from a different resort because they are wearing coloured bracelets and you thankfully don't need to wear those at Valentin or had children with them - plus many told us they were from other resorts and said the beach was so much better at Valentin. It would be nice if the resort limited the chairs to paying guests of their resort only. The hotel also asks guest not to 'reserve' chairs at the pool/beach, but it still commonly happened unfortunately. We would come down to the pool at 8:30 am and towels would be all over the chairs and hardly anyone in the pool or around -- we quickly realized that many weren't respectful and figured rules didn't apply to them.

The only negative thing I could say about the resort was more due to the actions of other guests -- many would order room service and when they were done they'd place their half eaten food/plates into the hall (which is what is commonly done in hotels across Canada/USA). But the Valentin buildings are open and don't have doors like those in colder climates -- which means wildlife can be attracted into the halls from the food placed out. Believe me, raccoons make LOTS of noise when they're throwing/breaking plates or steel room service lids on ceramic tile floors at 3 am. This happened 3 nights in a row, even after calling the front desk each night asking them to come and collect the plates. More emphasis should be placed on either asking guests to leave them IN their rooms until morning or calling immediately when placed into the halls for quick collection.

I'd recommend bringing plenty or sunscreen and basic medical supplies (ie/ Tylenol, Pepto Bismol etc) as buying them from the resort store is insanely expensive (as you'd expect at any resort). There isn't much of a souvenir choice (and what's there is really over priced), but if you happen to take a tour (ie/ Tulum ruins) you'll encounter many vendors with reasonable prices.

We toured Rio Secreto - tour guide was great! Beautiful to see the cave, formations and crystal clear water. We also booked an excursion through Go Natural - morning at Tulum ruins and afternoon at Akumal snorkeling with the turtles - amazing!!. Would highly recommend both!

Room Tip: No need to upgrade - even their basic level room was nice. There is lots of beautiful greenery aroun...
2  Thank DrPeanutbutternJelly

Dear Michelle L,

We are happy to know that you had chance to enjoy some of our services and facilities and especially that you had a great vacation with us.

We are also very happy to hear that you were looking forward to returning to the hotel for your 2nd visit.

So please let us know as soon as you are ready to comeback, our great team will be
ready to exceed your expectations again!

E mail : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Wishing you all the best,

Reviewed December 23, 2013

We spent one week at the VIM and liked it very much. The beach is gorgeous, the landscaping immaculate and it is clean everywhere. If you are a beach lover, this is the place for you. Wide with nice sand. You don’t need shoes to go into the water. You can take very long walk on the beach and admire nature.

For the tennis lovers, two beautiful courts are awaiting for you. Bring your racket and your balls. It is lit at night but I have not used it.

Other positive aspects worthwhile to mention are the friendliness of the staff, the nicely done à-la-carte restaurants. You also have a restaurant (Terra y Mar) less than 50 yards from the beach!

Finally, we had wireless in our room in building 5. I don’t know if it is the same thing elsewhere on the resort but bring an Ethernet cable just in case.

Enjoy!

2  Thank Maroula

Dear Maroula,

Many thanks for sharing your experiences with future travelers, we enjoyed reading your feedback and we are happy you had a great vacation at the Valentin Imperial Maya.

As you may know, comments from our guests are important for us because you let us know the exact elements in which we have to work on.

It will be a truly pleasure have you here back in a very near future.

Wishing all the best,

Reviewed December 23, 2013

This was our 2nd time to the Valentin. The first time we only stayed 4 days and decided we needed longer to experience it again. We came for our 27th anniversary. We had a great time. Slightly less magical then the first but still great. We met several couples this time we really enjoyed talking to and made some great friends in the process. Also I think it is the staff that will ultimately make us return again & again. We try our best to be easy going and not be a burden on any staff member. I imagine they really get sick of people. They work long hours and I feel like I was there 8 days and saw them every day. I wondered when they get to be home with their children. I offhandedly said, "you work to hard" to someone and their response was they work hard but they love their job and enjoyed to be around happy people. So if I can impress upon everyone who reads this to endeavor to be a joy for them to continue to love their jobs, because they work very hard but anyone can get burnt out if people are difficult. I am sorry to say we witnessed quite a few incidents of rudeness from visitors. And it makes me sad.
I want to mention to the management the wonderful work that Melina & Alfonso in Le Marche do. They made everyday a great start and we looked forward to seeing them every morning. Marina in the martini bar is a rare gem. Hilario in the go team is outstanding and the perfect personality for that job. Even though the photography people ( Blue lense Caribe) are not employed by Valentin, they are all also a joy to work with and a wonderful asset to the resort.
I will say the only one negative aspect and why I said it was less magical than the first time is we experienced a weird feeling at Le Alsace & Ginger. The management in those two restaurants felt so much different than the others. Not as welcoming, not as happy & much more slow service. The whole tone of the restaurants were different than all the others. We have been to them last year when we visited and did not notice this but we actually chose not to go back to the french again because of it. The Sushi & the Indonesian places were my favorite food wise though. And all in all we received great service and really have nothing negative to say.
The front desk graciously gave us our room request which was very kind. I was worried about the king bed thing. And it was busy while we were there.
I have no complaints regarding the rooms or the resort itself. We love the setup- we love the walking, the animals, the beach. Its all perfect. The last part of the week we had to ask for washcloths every night and I would even try to squirrel some away by piling them on top of towels in the bathroom to let them know these are clean don't take them, but nope every night they would be gone. It was weird. I'm not sure if there was a shortage. I don't know. Anyhow minor inconvenience.
This time we were more adventurous and took colectivos to town and to the ruins ect, It was scary at first but my economical side won over fear and we figured it out. We are choosing to never go to Playa del Carmen again. Over the years it has become way too commercialized for our liking and I have no desire to hit a victorias secret or a mall when I am visiting another country. I want to see something I cant get at home. Very few artisans anymore and more mass produced items. The market at the Valentin was good enough for me and the carts. I do wish they would get more "artist type vendors" but it was still nice. I also feel maybe if some of the vendors were talked to about just being nice and talkative instead of trying so hard to get you to buy something. That tends to have the opposite effect on me the harder you push the more I retreat. Which was why Id never go to Playa again, you cant walk two steps without being swarmed. It was annoying. Short of buying tequila I didn't miss anything else and ended up getting the tequila elsewhere.
Anyhow we will return to the Valentin. We are hoping to bring our parents next time knowing they will enjoy it just as much as we do. Keep up the great work and please pass on the high ratings to your staff, they are what makes your resort worth returning to.

Room Tip: I have only stayed in bldg 4. I like it fine. I would like to upgrade next time just to try somethin...
8  Thank Ivysmommy

Dear VIM guest,

We would like to thank you, on behalf of every employee at the Valentin Imperial Maya. Your comments were truly a pleasure to read and I appreciate that you took the time to share your experiences with the Trip advisor community. This is the reason why we have taken note of your comment concerning the service at the Ginger andlL'alsacein order to improve that service as soon as we can.

We hope to see you again very soon for your 3rd visit in our beautiful Resort

Wishing you all the best,

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Loved this place! Went in July, which I believe is not the rainy season in Mexico; but outside of a few rain showers, the weather was perfect. Staff was extremely friendly and remembered my name at the different restaurants. Room service was also great; one night, we called for a glass of wine to be delivered to the room and they brought a bottle (at no charge). They also had a good selection of top shelf alcohol, beer, and wine; not like other resorts where you can only ask for white or red wine. We stayed in the Emerald Suites, which were nice. There was a bit of walking involved; but they offer shuttle service if you need or want it. The only complaint I would have with the Valentin would be with our room and that it was on the ground floor. The room itself was lovely and clean; but we had daily interactions with some sort of critter - one night we had a crab in the room (yes, a crab), a number of large spiders on other nights, and a lizard. I think the critters get in because the cleaning staff leaves the room doors open while they are cleaning; towards the end of our stay we requested not to have our room cleaned and didnt seem to have an issue with critters after that. I also mentioned the situation to staff while we were checking out; but they must get that complaint often because they seemed to not really care. Knowing what I know about the bug issue, I would only reserve a Golden Jr. Suite as those rooms are only on the 2nd floor because 1st floor rooms have the swim-up option. I would definitely go back to the Valentin; in fact, we are considering staying there during our next vacation in March; but I would definitely want to make sure that our room was on the 2nd floor or higher.

Room Tip: Unless you like insects and other sorts of creatures do not get a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank laur19138
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Dear Laur from New York City,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, It is always pleasing to hear that we not only met, but exceeded your expectations.

Regarding the animals in your rooms, we would like to confirm you that as many hotels in this area ,our resort is surrounded by natural tropical rainforest and during the raining season you might find more animals as we are in their natural habitat.. Our deepest apologies to you for this experience.

Despite this issue , we are happy that you were able to put this behind you and enjoy all the great services and facilities we have to offer at VIM.

We are also very glad to hear that you were looking forward to returning to the hotel.

Please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your next arrival so we can assist with all pre arrival requests and be sure that your stay surpasses all expectations.

E mail : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#21 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#31 of 214 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!