“Outstanding Resort”

Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The grounds were impecable and the food was top shelf. 10 of us visited a similar resort there and the Valentin was a much better value. Great service and a very friendly staff. I highly recommend this outstanding resort. Just what the doctor ordered!

Room Tip: We were on the third floor in the 2 building close to everything
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank billlawjr27
Write a ReviewReviews (12,538)

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I gave the Valentin a 5 because I wish I was still there. The property was BEAUTIFUL and perfectly manicured. The staff were nice, though it was often hard to locate a concierge. The beaches were amazing, clean, safe and not crowded. But bring water shoes if you want to snorkle or wade in an swim as its a bit rocky off the beach. The rooms were nice - we were "upgraded" to an emerald level room which was great. The best part of the room was that it back to a bit of jungle and then the ocean. The property is a bit spread out, so you will do some walking. Really the only downside is that there are only buffets for breaksfast and lunch and they are pretty much the same everyday. I wish there had been at least one sit down restuarant open for lunch. Also the evening entertainment was a bit lame. But that's not what you're really there for anyway. Again, I would go back in a second and lay at the beach and then drink at the pool, nap and eat all week.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank 251elisap
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We went here the last week of August, 2013. I am only now getting around to posting a quick review. Read my other reviews, we've been to Excellence resorts 3 times (twice to Riviera Cancun, once to Playa Mujeres - all amazing), Secrets St. James in Montego Bay (don't bother), Aventura Spa Palace (amazing but now defunct, converted to a Hard Rock) in Puerto Aventuras, and Breezes Jibacoa (charming, but low class compared to all the previously mentioned places) in Cuba. This resort compares most favorably to Excellence, which we (obviously) love. I would say the food was (slightly) superior at dinner, lunch options are better at Excellence, both places have great breakfasts. Room service food at VIM was better than Excellence. Rooms at Excellence were nicer. The resort grounds at VIM are astounding, much more interesting than any resort I have visited and quite sprawling, be prepared to walk (although not as excessively as some people complain about here....) My wife and I were not impressed with the reservation system for loungers near the pool or beach though - I guess this is why it's a little cheaper than Excellence. In my opinion, Excellence attracts a more affluent, more sophisticated and slightly older crowd. That can be good or bad depending on what you're looking for - VIM is more of a party atmosphere. I would go back to either again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Building 5 was a great location - centrally located. You won't spend much time in the room (sinc...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheShredBaron
Reviewed October 23, 2013

From arrival to departure, not a glitch. Booked through Apple. Rooms were good, as in previous reviews, needed a little updating but more than adequate. Meals were very good, options are plenty. Service was great, from check in, restaurant, keepers, people were very friendly and more than willing to help or just to say hi. Only one exception, would be the pool bars, we only found one bartender (thank you Veronica) which always looked happy and served you promptly. The others need alittle bit of training serving the guests as they seem to ignore you at times. Tipping did seem to play a part in how quickly you are served. But they do work hard, so by all means tip once in awhile.

The best review is whether or not you would go back and my answer is absolutely YES. It has become one of my favorite All Inclusive resorts in Mexico. I will return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Nelly322
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was my first stay at an all inclusive resort and it was so exceeded my expectations. We stayed there in February as part of a Business trip for my partner. We stayed in a gold swim up room. It was great to literally walk out of the patio door straight into the pool. The room service was great and everyone NEEDS to try the deep fried coconut ice cream at the Japanese restaurant. I have no words for it. I hope to return soon. everything was great!

Room Tip: we paid to upgrade to a gold room initially for the jacuzzi tub. however we definitely could've...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My sister, niece and I just returned from this resort. I have been to Cancun four times to all inclusive resorts, and generally this was very well run and quite beautiful. There were just a few wear and tear features, such as the tile on the swim up bars needs replaced. We had a swim up room and it was very convenient to the pool entrance. Only complaint is the one bar in this area-- we were in building 6 and had to wade down to get our own drinks, as the server rarely got up that far. No issues with housekeeping-- only one day without a washcloth, which was a common complaint on here. We had one bug in the shower. The food was good and had great variety. The filet in the French restaurant was our favorite. Drinks were well made and full strength. I was a little leery about some of the animals at the resort. Two iguanas were fighting and knocked over a table at a nearby pool. Also, a lady said one of the raccoon-like animals jumped on a man as the beach restaurant after he fed him, obviously wanting more. So don't feed the animals. They add a lot to the ambiance, however. I am visually impaired, and I enjoyed the fact that you could call the bell boys and they would bring the little trams to get you and take you around the resort. At the end of dinner they also will pick you up at the end of the restaurant walk way. I talked to several senior citizens and they also enjoyed this for mobility issues. The resort was a good value for the money.

Room Tip: The swim up rooms are great, but very quiet. If you enjoy more of an activity pool, don't pay t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
F T, Subdirector at Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear recent VIM Guests from West Virginia,

Thank you very much for your gracious review published on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our French food and most of our services and facilities.

We took good note of your observations regarding the swim up’s bar with the F&B Department in order to take the appropriate measures in the future.

Thank you for recommending our property. It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back at Valentin Imperial Maya.

Wishing you all the best,

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Hola
We just got home. Time to detox.
On with the review......
The airport - was a little hairy. Tonnes of people, and porters trying to grab your bag. Just walk to your agent and say no thank you and things will be good. DO NOT buy beer at the bar, $30 USD for 4. (the bus they are $3 each). The ride to the resort was quickish. had to stop at one other resort. so an hour.

Check in was painless. As everyone has said, cool cloth and a drink.

Our room-Emerald Room- was nice. It looks as all the pictures say. King bed, lots of drawers for clothes, double sinks, water closet...NO bugs. The jucuzzi tub room is as big as a small bedroom and the tub takes an hour to fill, but so worth it. The window/door in the tub room slides open and you see and hear the animals and such. Very pretty. We were at the resort during a full moon so it was very beautiful at night. The room and mini fridge are designed to keep things cool NOT cold. Just an FYI for you. Also if you are ground level all you will see is trees and bushes. They are all well maintained and cleaned up. Very nice. But creepy at night. Maid service was adequate. No towels art, no special things on my b-day. But emptied garbages, made bed and swept floor.

Restaurants- were all good. We are not "foodies" so we are easy to please. Expect to be eating for 1 1/2 hours or so. The room service was very good. We did that a couple times as it was super hot outside and I didn't want my hubby to be too hot in long pants (3/6 men need long pants and closed toe shoes). So we ate in the room and then off to the square for drinks.

Bars were all good. Longest wait for a drink was 5 minutes. So very quick. Waitresses ALL over the place to take your order.

Pools- we hung out at the pool in late afternoon. Warm water, pretty clean and good service.

Beach/ocean- HUGE and beautiful. 100 palapas for "regular" people and about the same for privileged people. Lots of loungers stacked up so always a loungers available. Of course there was chair saving, the tourists don't get that it isn't cool. But we managed to always have a palapa and we never "saved". Our latest day to arrive at the beach was 10:30am. Waitresses all eager to take your order, chefs walking around once a day providing pizza samples.

Turtles- So awesome to know that this resort takes care of these turtles. We were VERY fortunate to be able to see these little guys hatch and were able to release them to the ocean. It was actually the highlight of our trip (for me). The resort is concerned about these guys and are adamant that NO flash photography ANYTIME on the beach. It confuses the turtles.

Excursions- we took the shopping shuttle to Playa del Carmen. $18 each round trip and it is direct from our resort to Playa del Carmen.

Wifi in lobby is very quick, in the square a little slower. Computers are quick as well.

The reason we did not rate this a 5- the resort is very big, a lot of trees so you can not see everything (meaning - where the lobby is) The trees are beautiful and lush and awesome. Just a little tough to navigate the maze that the resort is on the first couple days. My hubby was not happy about that. Wearing heels to supper was a bit of a workout. We did catch golf carts as they whizzed by every once in awhile so that helped.

Management may I suggest "bus stops" for people to stand at to catch a ride.

So over all we got what we paid for: SUN, sand, drinks, food and sleep.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#10 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#20 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
9 mi away
Excellence Riviera Cancun
Excellence Riviera Cancun
#2 of 28 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!