“Absolutley Fantastic!”

Nottingham
“Absolutley Fantastic!”
Reviewed June 11, 2008

May 21st to June 5th 2008

My partner and I chose The Valentin after a great deal of searching. We were looking for great accomodation, good food, beautiful weather and places of interest. We got all of these and more with The Valentin.

We were immediately impressed when we arrived (after a lengthy time spent at Cancun Airport!) champayne, cold towels and a fantastic, cathedral sized lobby.

We were quickly taken to our room, in tower 4, which we felt was located centrally. We didn't have a particular view but did n't find that a problem. The room is spacious, with everything you could possibly want and very clean. As other people have already mentioned, the bed was the best we had slept in, if it could have got through the customs I would have bought one!

Over our two week stay, we were impressed with the friendliness and effeciency of all the staff. All seemed to genuinely enjoy working at The Valentin and always made you welcome. We tipped but not necessarily all the time.

We tried all the restaurants, our favourite was the French, but this was closely followed by The Indonesian, Japenese and Mexican. We probably found the Lobster Pot a little over-rated.

The main pool is amazing, large with two swim up bars. The bar staff were particularly good at both, and the drinks served beautifully. What we really liked was the fact that all the top brands were served and the cocktails were lovely!

In the two weeks we were in Mexico, we arranged to go on several excursions. We particularly liked Chichen Itza and Tulum. The tour guides were well informed, and made the days educational but fun, we highly recommend them.

We would love to return to Mexico,and if in the future we are able to do so, we will without hestitation book at The Valentin.

• Liked — Beautiful, well maintained grounds and fantasic rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank HappyNottingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,525)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Petaluma, California
Reviewed June 10, 2008

I loved this place! The service really was fantastic. I read the Tripadvisor reviews before booking this hotel and they were right. Everyone was quite friendly, helpful and accommodating! The reviews are also correct on there not being anyone besides couples. I was traveling alone and didn't really heed this warning. However, if you're used to traveling by yourself, then you most likely don't mind actually being by yourself, which was just fine with me!

I completely utilized the free bikes you could "rent" or sign-out from the activities desk. Regardless if I was supposed to or not, I always simply took a bike and petaled my way around instead of walking. The resort is giant and Playa is quite humid...therefore the bike came in handy.

The iguanas all over the place was another cool feature. I couldn't stop being a lame tourist and snapping their picture(s). The private pool outside the front of my building was fantastic. Nobody in or around it....which was awesome if you wanted to read in complete peace and quiet. I too took advantage of the 24 hour room service. The food overall was quite good albeit not great and the rooms were nicer than those of the Ritz Carlton in Jamaica.

All-in-all, fantastic resort and definitely worth a look! Plus, apparently the resort just opened in November so most everything is still in pristine condition.

• Liked — Great, Well-Designed, Clean, High-Quality Rooms
  • Disliked — Wish I could snorkel off the beach
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
5 Thank JennMcCl
Sherwood Park, Alberta

Valentin Imperial Maya

My husband and I took our second trip to the Mayan Riviera on May 31st, 2008. We decided to stay at the Valentin Imperial Maya Resort. This is an adult only resort. We decided on this resort because we were leaving our 2 kids at home and didn’t want to feel bad for not bringing them and we also wanted some quiet time without the sounds of little voices.

Our first impression of the resort was great. First of all it was one of the first hotels in the Mayan past the airport so the ride was only about 25 minutes. We got off the bus and were greeted by the bell boy and he took our luggage and tagged it and showed us the way to the lobby. The lobby is huge with beautiful, large wrought iron chandeliers. It had crown mouldings, beautiful floor to ceiling draperies and was very classy. They escorted us to a desk where we sat down and were greeted with champagne and a warm face cloth to freshen up. The check-in process was flawless and quick. It was raining when we arrived so they drove us in a covered golf cart to our room. We had a Golden Junior Suite and were blown away. This was probably the nicest room that we’ve ever stayed in and we have traveled all over the world. This is a new resort so it’s nice to have everything new. Our room had a king-size bed that had 2 swans made out of towels and there were also rose petals all over the bed in the shape of a heart. Our room had a sitting area, covered balcony and a small uncovered balcony that would fit 1 chair. There was a cocktail table with 2 chairs, 2 large tv’s, a desk and a bar. There is also a DVD player however it would not play our Canadian DVD’s as it said it was the wrong zone. Apparently though you can borrow DVD’s from the concierge. There were 2 robes, 2 pairs of slippers, an umbrella and a hair dryer in the room. There were large bottles of shampoo, bath and shower gel and body lotion. The only disappointing part of the room we stayed in was that the air conditioner was located above our heads in bed, therefore, it blew directly on us. There was also a smoke detector right over our bed that flashed its lights and was a little annoying. An interesting thing was that the door to the toilet in the bathroom was glass. This was also true for the toilet in the Ladies locker room in the spa. So there was a privacy issue there. The spa was awesome! I had a 4 hand massage which was the most incredible experience and also a Strawberry Scrub. It was fabulous. I had a therapist by the name of Adrian. He was the best!!! If you want an amazing experience ask for him! He was deliberate, and followed each stroke to the end. He was masterful at his job.

There were a large variety of restaurants, however, not all of them were open every night. Make sure to refer to your daily news letter to see which ones are open and which are not. Le Marche is the main buffet restaurant open every morning for breakfast, lunch and one night a week for supper. They have indoor areas to sit in, outdoor areas as well as air conditioned areas. The buffet is very large and in the back of the restaurant with sliding glass doors. It is one of the best and largest buffets I have ever seen. The food was great no matter where you ate and the service was first class.

The staff are amazing. They want to please you and go the extra mile to make sure your stay is great. The property is very spread out so if you don’t want to walk to and from the pool and to eat then maybe this isn’t the place for you. However, there are golf carts that come to your building every 15 minutes or so to take you to the lobby or restaurant. The pool is absolutely huge. You can’t see one end from the other. They have floaties to use in the pool and the chairs are relatively comfortable for pool chairs. You can’t see the ocean from the pool but it is only about a 2 minute walk. The beach is nice. It is a bit rocky right when you get out but if you go to the left it is better. The sand is so soft. There are a lot of beach chairs and a volley ball court. There is also a bar at the beach. There is a separate activities pool for volleyball. There are servers ready to take your drink and food order at the pool at all times. There is another long and windy pool behind some of the accommodations by the lagoon. This is a very quiet area but there are no bars or servers to take your drink order. All along the pathways throughout the resort there is music which is a nice touch.

I highly recommend this resort and we will definitely be back to visit in the future.

• Liked — Beautiful, large room.
  • Disliked — See through toilet door.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank DebnJim
Houston

Great Resort

Transfer from the airport to the hotel was great, went VIP with a 10-minute wait. At the resort, we received Champaign during check in and an upgrade to Tower 7. My wife shared with the agent that it was my birthday. In the 10-minutes it took us to get to our room, they turned down the bed and decorated the room with rose petals. The next night they brought in a bottle of Champaign. Nice touch!

The hotel is very new with about 30% occupancy. The food and evening entertainment were excellent.

The first few mornings we had our breakfast in the Fusion Restaurant and enjoyed a wide assortment of items. Check out the Kewie/Guava juice. Towards the end of our trip we tended to hit the beach early and have breakfast at Mar/ Tierra Restaurant.

In the afternoons everyone tends to migrate to the pool in front of Tower 4 and 5. Sightseeing and interaction is fun. In the evening, enjoy the Shows and then check out the Sports Bar.

Can’t say enough about the service. It was fantastic. We took a stack of 100, $1-dollar bills as tip money. I didn’t see much tipping and the service staff was truly grateful when offered.

Few other notes: international calls from the room are $5/min. US dollar and Euro phone cards are available but the machines are at opposite sides of the main lobby. The US phone card machine is by the business center and the Euro machine is by Lobby Bar. Cost is $20US for 23 minutes.

If you want to do the hibachi for dinner, you will need a total of 8 guest.

Shuttle service to Playa is about $23 per couple. Trip is about 15 minutes one way. Car rental is available for about $100 per day.

Make sure to use your concierge. They are convenient to each building. These guys are great for negotiating and confirming reservations for you. Thank you Martin and George!

• Liked — Food and Service
  • Disliked — I would like more people at the resort. But when everyone else finds out about this place, the price will go up.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JPandLeah
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 9, 2008

My husband and I returned from the Valentin on Sunday, June 8.

We had a Golden Junior Suite which the Concierge told us was larger than the Oceanfront rooms. We loved it. Huge tub, separate shower and toilet stalls. Just as everyone has said. I did notice some flaws, however, this is not the United States and I was on vacation, so I did not let it bother me.

We arrived on June 1 during Tropical Storm Arthur and the weather was awful, but that is not the fault of the resort.

We visited all the restaurants except the Indonesian/Fusion. We visited both the French and Japanese twice. We also had sushi as an appetizer before dinner at another restaurant. Both were fantastic. Pablo is the MAN at Japanese.

I believe we also visited most of the bars. Don Miguel had a piano player each evening before dinner and he was great. We went most nights before dinner and there was hardly anyone in there. We were there during the Stanley Cup Final and watched the games in the Sports Bar which was fun. The Cigar Bar was a great place to chill and usually didn't have anyone in it.

The Main Pool was GREAT. It is saltwater, but this seemed to be better than the usual variety. We visited the "Quiet Pool" on our last day and it was really WARM and quiet, but perfect for just cooling off.

All in all it was a great vacation and we made some new friends, which was an unexpected plus. Shout out to Shannon & Spencer and Karen & Tony.

The only thing that was really lacking was a Disco, however folks seemed to make their own entertainment, but I would have preferred a spot devoted to dancing with a DJ.

• Liked — The service was wonderful everywhere.
  • Disliked — Lack of a disco.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jcubed03
Toronto
Reviewed June 9, 2008

We stayed at the Valentin June 1 to 8, and it was a fantastic week. I'd never visited Mexico or stayed at an all-inclusive so wasn't sure what to expect but my friends also raved about the Valentin. Besides all the great service, etc, there are no
wristbands, no towel cards and we did not see any time share sales reps! We would love to go back!!

SERVICE
- excellent. Staff are friendly and accomodating but not intrusive.
- we didn't have to go to the bars to ask for drinks - mostly, servers circulate among the guests. Wow!
- others have suggested, and we agree, that you take a lot of one dollar bills for tipping. Yes - this is an all inclusive and staff don't expect tips, but leaving a dollar or two is a nice way to thank the bellhops, servers, cleaning staff etc. It's really no different than leaving a bigger tip at a restaurant after a great meal
- the 'one touch' service was generally good eg there were problems with the airconditioning when we got there so they sent someone up right away to fix it, then we got a followup call from 'One touch' to ask if the AC had been fixed to our satisfaction
On the other hand, Wednesday, the room wasn't turned down and I called to ask for extra towels but no one answered the phone, even on the 2d call. But compared to everything else, this was just a hiccup in the service
- the evening bed turn down service (and fresh towels) is great but it was missed on the Wed and Friday nights. We missed the fresh towels, and the evening chocolates!

FOOD
- really good. Good restaurant selection, and you do not needreservations. We loved Ginger's so much that we went there 3 times so didn't get a chance to try all the restaurants!
- a couple of restaurants had spa menu selections
- we liked the house wines
- snack food on the beach/pool - only nachos only. We wanted chips which are available in the gift shop. Gift shop prices seemed high ($5 or $6 for a can of pringles) but Cancun prices weren't much lower. Having said this, the one day we went to the beach, a server came by with a tray of excellent hors d'oeuvres - definitely not something we were expecting - a great treat!!

CLOTHING
- restaurant dress code for men should be more clear. Nice bermuda shorts (even if they are not cargo shorts) are not allowed in most restaurants but jeans are
- bring water shoes as there are some rocky parts on the beach. Flip flops worked but water shoes would be better. They are available in the hotel gift shop if you forget
- personal preference but I should've brought more summer dresses for dinner.
- our room was very humid and all our clothes felt damp, even if we hadn't worn them. We left our bathing suits on the balcony to dry but you may want to take several.

ROOM SERVICE
- we only tried it twice. When we got back from the shopping trip, we decided to order dinner in (2 apps, 2 entrees, 2 drinks each). There were only 3 plates on the tray and when I asked the server, he showed me the written order, which was correct. But we didn't get our entrees - instead, we got a 3d appetizer. It had taken a long time (over 45 min) to get the order so I think the kitchen may have misplaced it. It was too late to phone for another. What they did send as the 3d appetizer was delicious though!

ACTIVITIES - DAYTIME
- each day's journal lists 'sunny day' and 'rainy day' activities. We went to the Valentin to rest and enjoy the weather so I didn't try any of them though they looked interesting with lots of choice
- the gym is well set up. Suggest you take your ipod if you like to work out to music.
- bikes - we only went once and the bikes we used were not comfortable
- lots of great activities (and more people) at the main pool. If you want a quieter poolside, try the swimup pool. Pool walking is also a great workout - you can walk the entire swimup as the water is about 4 ft deep. The salt water is great for the skin too!

ACTIVITIES - NIGHTTIME
- the evening shows were good. We really enjoyed the Cirque show, and Latin dancing
- one evening (maybe every evening?) an excellent group performed in the Plaza. They did all kinds of music - jazz, funk, rock - very danceable! A DJ came out after so people kept dancing - lots of fun!
- Saturday night, there was a Mexican buffet in the Plaza. (Some of the restaurants were also open.) It was really well done, including local vendors with crafts for sale (no silver) so take some money that night. The atmosphere was great.

SHOPPING TRIP
- made 3 stops - first mall was OK. Not sure if the prices at Luxury Avenue were that good- if you want a designer item, check your local prices first. 2d mall - a lot of souvenir shops but friends said that silver prices were good here. FYI - one store sold chocolates filled with Kahlua for less than at duty-free. The 3d Plaza (las islas) had a lot of variety. One store (Liverpool?) has great prices on perfumes and cosmetics (maybe lower than Cdn duty free - wish I'd done my homework first!) And, if you're from Canada, Scotiabank may be in this mall.
- cab ride to Cancun is about $40 each way
- speaking of cash, the Valentin has 2 ATMS. One of them dispenses Mexican currency so if you select "$50", you get about $5 Cdn/US.

• Liked — Great place to go to relax
  • Disliked — Bathroom isn't ventilated and no AC so it was more humid than the rest of the room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
5 Thank Randr8
Reviewed June 7, 2008

Wow....what a resort. I almost don't want to review this resort because I want to keep it a secret and keep it from being overrun but it was such a wonderful experience that I feel I should share. I booked this resort on a travel agent rate so that I could visit for potential clients in the future. They opened in December of 2007. We arrived by taxi from a week at another resort and were very pleased with this resort. Upon our arrival we were given cold refreshing washcloths and a glass of champane while we checked in. Unlike most resorts that have a long counter for check in, Valentin had individual desks with seating during your check in. It was very elegant. Check in went very smoothly and we were upgraded to the Golden Swim up junior jacuzzi suites without even asking for it. We were taken by Victor via gold cart to our rooms and they were indeed breathtaking to say the least. Alex was also very helpful and sweet.

Not your typical resort hotel room. The bed was angled away from the walls and beautifully made. There was a flat screen tv on a stand and behind that a beautiful partition. Behind the partition was a full size couch, coffee table and an entertainment center with another flat screen television and dvd player. Behind the couch sat a round table and two chairs. The bathroom was elegant as well with a large walk in shower, a jacuzzi tub, two sinks and very spacious. The toliet and bidet were in a separate room with a beautiful glass door. In addition there was a nice counter space with ice bucket, tray, glasses, coffee maker and cups etc. and beneath that a refrigerator that was stocked daily with whatever you asked for. Never ran out or even low. They were wonderful about keeping it stocked and everything was always cold inside. The air conditioning was so efficient that we had to turn it off at times. The bed was heavenly and one of the most comfortable beds we have ever experienced in Mexico. Absolutely plush and complete with many pillows and a down comforter. Every night they turned down our bed, decorated it with fresh flowers and put the television on a music station and dimmed the lights. They left our bathrobes laid out on the end of the beds and they left clean glasses and cold bottles of water on the nightsides On either side of the bed and chocolates on our pillows as well as the next days schedule and the weather report for the next day. They refreshed the towels in the bathroom and cleaned it during the turn down service. Upon leaving your room, they leave the mirror light on in the bathroom to serve as a night light. Very accomodating and welcoming.

Every morning we ordered room service and it was always hot and very tasting. The personally come in and set your table and even brought a fresh rose on occasion for the "lady". The were very polite and you got the impression that they really enjoyed their jobs.

There are no wrist bands at this resort and no reservations to make at the restaurants.We loved that!! You just choose the restaurant you wish to dine in that night and they accomodate you immediately. IF there is a wait, the plaza is nearby and you can order a drink before dinner and sit and relax to a classical band playing in the plaza. We ate at the seafood, the steak, the italian and the japanese restaurant several times. All were absolutely out of this world for food and service as well as ambiance. A wonderful dining experience every single time, without fail.

The pool was HUGE and if I am not mistaken, the largest in the mayan riviera. It was gorgeous and never felt crowded. Two very large swim up bars on either side as well as seating on the pool deck side where we could order lunch and snacks as well.

Our swim up pool four steps from our patio was never crowded and always refreshing. Also very nice when we did not want to walk to the main pool. We were in building 8 and literally steps from the bar between building seven and eight. The bartenders would actually come to your patio to take drink orders and to the side of the pool and then deliver your drinks personally. We definitely felt pampered.

The beach and the ocean was one of the best that we have stayed in along the mayan riviera and being a travel agent, we have stayed at many over the years. The swimming area was totally sand, and easy to maneuver. Sandy bottom all the way out and not to deep until you got quite a ways out. The beach was never crowded and there were plenty of palapas for shade as well as lounge chairs. Somedays we were the only ones on the beach which was wonderful. There were baskets of fresh towels at different areas around the beach and pools and baskets for your used towels as well. You could take as many as you desired which was a nice touch from the resorts that give you a towel card and you get to "check out" one towel at a time and then they threatened to charge you 50.00 if it was not returned.

We met many nice people and the staff was always very pleasant and happy. The resort grounds are beautiful and although some areas are still being finished and landscaped but it was growing but they have done a wonderful job with the grounds and in a few years it will be totally gorgeous. It was a very comfortable resort with wonderful employees, wonderful food and drinks, wonderful ocean and beach as well as the pools which were always clean and refreshing. The rooms were beautiful and very well appointed. There were golf carts driving around all the time and they were always asking if you needed a ride. The concierge service was wonderful as well. They called a few times to be sure that everything was taken care of and made sure that we did not need anything. They were there for us around the clock.

There is also a safe in the room for your valuables as well as good closet space. They even included an umbrella for the rainy days. We had four, so it came in very handy.

There were many bars to experience and on a rainy day, the sports bar was fun. There was free iternet access in a room with three computers and that was nice to have access to. There is a store in the resort that has just about anything that you could want on vacation although the prices seemed a little high, but not bad. We did not experience the spa but their menu as delightful and it looked very elegant as well.

They definitely have thought of anything and of all my trips to Mexico, and in all our stays at different resorts, this is by far, hands down, our very favorite. There was absolutely NOTHING we could complain about and we will definitely go back and refer this resort in our business. This resort could definitely be a six star resort. We LOVED it!!!! They should be very proud of their resort and their employees.

Stayed May 2008
15 Thank DaretoDreamTravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Secreto
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#39 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!