“ANOTHER "PERFECT" AT THE VALENTIN.”

Valentin Imperial Maya
ROBSTOWN,TEXAS
“ANOTHER "PERFECT" AT THE VALENTIN.”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Third trip...Just as great as previous visits. There have been a few small cutbacks, but didn't bother us. Still a great value. Don't listen to the idiots that complain about every minor detail. If you are one of those people, stay home. More room for us on our next visit!

I think I made a bunch of points with my loving wife by surprising her with a private dinner on the beach. Absolutely fabulous setting, service and food. I strongly suggest the "Surf & Turf" menu. Five courses with two large lobster tails and giant filet on each plate! Couldn't begin to finish it all. Go for it!!!!! See photos.

Room Tip: Delux Junior Suite fine for us.
2 Thank RIVERRANCHMIKE
F T, Subdirector at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear recent repeat VIM Guests from ROBSTOWN,TEXAS

In the name of all Valentin Imperial Maya, receive our most sincere appreciation for your loyalty to our chain.

Receiving words like yours, it is always the best inspiration for our work. Please let us know when you will be back for your fourth visit so we can make your next arrival more especial and enjoyable.

We hope to receive you soon at your house in The Mexican Caribbean!

Receive our warmest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,554)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Diego, California

This trip was amazing.
I decided to write a review because the numerous reviews we read before our honeymoon really helped us. We were there for a total of 10 days. TIP - do bring a bubba mug, they save you many trips to the bar, especially if you plan on being at the beach the majority of the time like we did.
Food: We really loved two places, and those two places were amazing, the Japanese restaurant (we ate sushi appetizers almost every night there) and the hibbachi was amazing, we did it twice. The Italian restaurant was also amazing. Service at both of these restaurants was top notch as well as the food. The only restaurant we wouldn't recommend is Hacienda, the mexican restaurant. The other restaurants we didn't like but some of our friends we made their did (different palates, understandable) however we all agreed time should not be spend at Hacienda.
Shows: Fun for all. Our favorites that we wouldn't miss would be the Circus show and the Mayan Show.
Room: AMAZING and just what we needed. Mind you, we were never there but it suited us just fine and the staff does such a GREAT job at keeping the fridge stocked and with turn down service twice a day.
We loved this place and can't wait to go back.
The only thing I would say is if you are accustomed to a five star resort this is not your place, this is an amazing four star hotel: for example, my husband's linen pants mistakenly got taken with the sheets (they were the same color as the sheets and we did leave them in the bed) and the hotel didn't do anything to rectify the situation. In addition, I cut myself along with another of our friends on the tile in the pool and nobody contacted us with an apology or rectified the situation in anyway. However, that being said we plan on going back and those little quirks didn't bother us because we were just so stoked with everything else. We did meet people though who let things like that ruin their trip, so just a forewarning if you are one of those people.
TIP: request a queen/king bed in advance via email because we did meet several couple who got stuck with twin beds
ALSO remember to TIP. I was shocked by the amount of people who didn't leave a dollar a drink...We left a dollar a drink and five dollar for dinner. They work so hard and this was the first all inclusive that I saw so few people tip. So please tip. They deserve it.
Also, as far as excursions go we had shaky/shady time dealing with Best Day, however we met many others who didn't, but that being said we did. We recommend the Dive Shop. We booked an amazing trip with them and they were so personable and the tours were small and the tourguides VERY knowledgeable. Now stop reading and go and get your bubba mug and prepare for an AMAZING TIME !!!

Room Tip: Request Building 5 - it is central pools/beach Request Building 3 if being closer to the restaurant...
6 Thank Heather M
Mississauga
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Valentin Imperial in Oct 2012. It was my girlfriends wedding and all I can say is WOW! This was my first time in Mexico but this hotel was amazing. My picky husband was very impressed with the food and service at the Valentin.

Food and drinks:
You will never go hungry there! The food was by far the best I have ever had at any all inclusive resort. There are many restaurants to choose from and they are all first come first serve. since we had a large party (15) it was difficult for us to eat together at a reasonable time. We were pretty flexible but there were some days that we had to split up or eat at 9:30pm. We were able to try every restaurant, our favorite was the steakhouse and the seafood (try the sea bass). Least favorite was the French only because the meal left us all unsatisfied and some of the guys visited the buffet afterwards.
The drinks were endless and although there was no corona (no idea why not) the selection of beer and top line liquor was endless. Our pool bar bartenders were great (sometimes) and they had no problem making speciality slush drinks but they were a bit under staffed for the amount of people at the bar.
Being a coffee drinker I usually don't get what I need when on vacation but this place was completely different. Not only was there a small cappuccino bar near the front of the hotel but there was also the cigar lounge (I think that's what it was called) where you could get coffee, cappuccinos and espressos. after a long day at the beach and big dinner, that is where I could be found to sit back and refuel for the partying.

Rooms:
We stayed in the rooms located close to the lagoon. we had the poolside view and we were pretty close to the beach. Only a 2 min walk. The resort itself was smaller than I am used to but you could walk from end to end in less than 10 min. Well at least that's what it felt like. We upgraded our room to silver which gave us a separate sitting area and TV. We had a jaquzzi and separate stalls for toilet and shower. The bed was nice and comfortable and the room was very clean. My sister had the regular room, I believe it was called a jr suite. It was almost the same except there was no separate area. there was a couch at the end of the bed and a tv on the opposite wall of the bed. In my eyes the rooms were not that different unless you need a separate area, for example if you child is sleeping and you want to stay up and watch tv.
If you need it, Room service was amazing!

Entertainment
This is probably the only place I found that the resort lacked in. I have seen many resort shows, they were not as good as the others I've seen. The band that played in the square were very repetitive and they didn't know the words to many songs. We found it more entertaining to pick out which words they were messing up on. Also they don't take any requests in case you wanted to hear them sing something else. Their live entertainment, like the fire show is something to watch. I found myself mesmerized by some of the stuff they did. One recommendation is to get there early because seats are limited and you will find yourself standing most of the time.

Wedding
I was the MOH for my friends wedding. Now I was there for most of the planning of this wedding and I can say that they did a fabulous job. The wedding planner was great and was on top of everything. She answered all of our questions and took care of everything. Anything we needed we asked and we got. Everything was straight forward. We had the morning at the spa, to get our hair done. If only I could remember the name of the girl that did our hair! She was a sweet girl and she did an amazing job. We had the ceremony on the beach. what an experience that was. we had a cocktail party while the bride & groom took some pictures. we had frozen drinks and finger foods under the gazebo. Then we moved to the reception in the private area of the seafood restaurant. The restaurant happened to be closed that day so it was very private. Overall the day was perfect.

Beach & pool
Nice big pool by the beach. smaller quiet pools around the hotel, but who wants to go there? The party's at the beach pool. There are lots of loungers but they fill up quick. the beach is where I spent most of my time. the water was a bit rough in the beginning of the week due to a hurricane somewhere far away. I loved every minute of the big waves. for the weak swimmer it would be a challenge. the end of our week was calm and we were able to enjoy feeding the schools of fish that were not afraid of humans in the water.

I can honestly say that I enjoyed staying at the Valentin and I will be back one day. It is my #1 on my list of favorite hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank JennyMississauga
Dear Jenny from Mississauga,

Many thanks for your excellent review and for having chosen The VIM for your vacation. We always appreciate our guests' contribution, suggestions (especially for our entertainment) and comments which help us find out about their preferences.

We are happy and enthusiastic we met your expectations and would love to welcome you back one day.

Thanks again and all the best!
Baltimore MD
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I along with my son and his girlfriend stayed from July 10-July 17, 2013 and couldn't be happier with our experience. The activities staff were a great group of people, especially Tomalli and JC for water aerobics. All the activities staff kept things going at the pool and beach. Even the new trainee's Carlos and Mark (twin brothers were fun). Service was fantastic at all the breakfast and lunch buffets. The fresh seafood grilled while you waited was fantastic. We had it everyday for lunch. Yummy!!!. The service at all the restaurants for dinner was also great. The food was very good. The bartender (Fredi) who was in the Sports Bar every night while we were there and he was by far our favorite bartender. This is the first all inclusive that had top shelf liquor. The drinks were great. All the shows were enjoyable and there was always something going on in the plaza in the evening. It was nice that everyday they gave you a newsletter keeping all informed. I have been to several Riviera Maya resorts, but this is by far the best. Definitely would go back, wish we could have stayed longer. A very memorable trip.

Room Tip: Building 1 or 2 was centrally located to everything. We stayed in Building 2.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank SuzyQueBaltimoreMD
Dear recent VIM guests from Baltimore

Many thanks for sharing your experiences with future travelers, we enjoyed reading your feedback and we are happy you had a great vacation at our only adults All inclusive resort.

We are very proud to have received your personal comments about our staff members especially Tomalli , JC , Carlos, Mark and Fredi, we will gladly pass on your compliments to each one and let them know that they make the difference with the impeccable service.

We cannot wait to welcome you back for the 2nd time to spoil you and make you feel at home again.

Please, do not hesitate to contact us before your next arrival.

E mail : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Thank you so much!
Irving, Texas
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed at Valentin Imperial Maya from July 5-11th 2013 and had a wonderful time. It was his first trip to the Mayan Riviera and I wanted it to be a relaxing and enjoyable experience and that is exactly what we found here at the Valentin. I do an extensive amount of research before going to a resort and use what others say on sights as this for that guidance. That being said, I was a little nervous prior to arrival that we would spend the entire time walking and walking and walking through this enormous resort. However, the grounds are beautiful, it was wonderfully spaced (we stayed in building 2/Silver Junior Suite) and it was not that big of a deal at all much to my surprise. Actually from bldg 2 we could get EVERYWHERE easily and without much walking at all. Note: the Silver Junior Suites have an “open bathroom concept” so if you’re a new couple just be aware that means only a shear curtain separates the bathroom and bedroom areas. Our room was quite nice and the patio was huge! It was facing the jungle and we enjoyed the quiet in the evening, as well as the sounds of all the jungle birds in the mornings. Food: We indulged in a lot of room service which was wonderful and it is available 24 hrs a day. The room service staff is fantastic and it is very prompt, they took great care of us. The restaurants for dinner we tried were the Il Olivio (Italian), La Hacienda, and Tierra. The ambiance at Tierra was nice in the evening it is beachside and lit by candlelight, the food was very good and the service from Manuel was fantastic. We did not enjoy the Italian restaurant as much though, so luckily this is where that wonderful room service staff comes in . We did not try Ginger or Taman Sari. Sorry folks not our cup of tea for the Indonesian or Japanese cuisine so you will have to be the judge of those. Beach/Pool: Let me tell you though, this is the most GORGEOUS stretch of beach! We had no issues with finding a palapa on the beach and we sunned and played in the ocean every day. From our beach (or you can go directly to the Dive Shop next to the main pool) we scheduled a snorkeling excursion. It was a fun afternoon activity and was cheaper than booking an excursion with the travel reps onsite, if you’re just looking for something fun to do that doesn’t take up your entire day. Our guide was Luis, he takes photos along the way and were lucky enough to get some great underwater shots from him at a very reasonable price. The main pool is massive, because of its size it is wonderfully spaced so that if you want quiet and calm you have that at one end OR if you want activities and fun/games they have that too. We did have a little bit of an issue finding a poolside lounger on the first day because we weren’t there early enough to grab one….but once we saw our beach that wasn’t a problem. I’m sure I am leaving out a lot of information, but overall it was a fabulous resort, beautiful grounds, good food, the staff was very friendly, and we would definitely go back!!

5 Thank Yelleknoxid
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Let me start by saying we were at the resort from June 3-9th during the tropical storm so my review might be a little biased. We chose the Valentin based on all the amazing reviews we had read by others. I literally spent over a YEAR deciding on a honeymoon destination and was very disappointed.
When we arrived at the Valentin we got there at the end of the tropical storm. We were not greeted with cold towels or champagne (understandable). Other guests were telling us that the resort had no power in some areas and was flooded. We checked in and were told we had to wait for our room. I had booked a golden swim out suite (mistake #1). When we got to our room there wasnt a honeymoom banner or champagne. The room smelled extremely musty. and yes the resort wad horribly flooded. other guests told us that hours before our room had been flooded by the lazy river. nice to know. Half the restaurants/bars were closed. the Pool did not reopen until the day before we left. when it did open i was very disapponted. there were many missing tiles at the main pool, and was dirty. it had a "cancun party" atmosphere. being on my honeymoon i was looking for something more relaxing. also my drink was served to me in a very dirty glass.I only spent a couple hours at the main pool and wouldnt go back.
the lazy river was also closed until the day before we left. so glad i spent all that extra $$ for a swim out room!! we were hesitant to get in the swim out even after it was cleaned because the neighboring swamp had flooded into it during the storm.. gross. the "swim out" bars never opened during our stay. also no floats were provided in this area at all.
beach- the beach itself also had to be cleaned up. they did a great job in this area. however we were never given a towel card. thank goodness i had packed my own towels!!! i do not reccomend eating at the bar on the beach. the grill was extremely filthy.
Food- since there was nothing else to do, we ate a lot. Ginger and French restaurants were our favorite. Dont get the Hibachi at Ginger, the portion is very small. Opt to sit in the dining area or at the sushi bar. The sushi is amazing. Get the filet or salmon at the french restaruant. Baked Alska for desert was fun!! the mar y tierra buffet and restraunt: beware!!! I went to make a salad and noticed the lettuce was unwashed.. had bugs on the underside of the leaves.
Heed the warnings of the other reviewers that the buffett cooking conditions were unsanitary!!!! very gross. workers wiping their faces with their arms then touching food.. nasty.
Night 1 it was still storming. rain came in thru the light fixture in the roof over the toilet. very annoying. found out the reason why our room was musty- the bed rails and headboard. asked to change rooms and request was denied. had horrible sinus headaches and nausea from the smell. when we got home our clothes and luggage reeked of must.. that bad.
entertainment- was cancelled the first couple days. the Michael Jackson show was very good. So was the fire show.
the icing on the cake was my husband and myself were both sick for 15++ days with an intestinal "flu" when we got home. so either the food was unsanitary or they were serving frozen drinks with unbottled ice.
maid service was spotty. some days she came to clean and some days not. one day it was after 10pm and we were already in bed (early, yes but there was no evening entertianment that day and only 2 bar open, nothing left to do but sit in the room and watch tv in spanish and this was 2 days AFTER the storm ended!!) even tho my husband complained to the conceirge repeatedly we never got our honeymoon banner, bottle of champaign or towel art. and yes we did leave tips for the maid every day.
I am not an idiot, I understand about the storm. But when I got home I read that other guests had been given the oppertunity to go to other resorts. Also, this resort was not at all propely prepared for a weather event. Besides the weather, I would not go back because the service was awful and the cleanlieness of the food preperation areas. being sick for 3 weeks when I got home was HORRIBLE, not at all how I dreamed my honeymoon would be.

Room Tip: do not spend the extra $$ for a swim out room. the rooms are musty and distgusting.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Saral8981
F T, Subdirector at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear disappointed Honeymooners,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Valentin Imperial Maya. We are very disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations at 100% and would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay.

Concerning the storm , we won’t repeat what we already respond to so many reviews , we just would like to rectify and confirm that the Golden pool (Lazy pool) was reopened on normal basis on Wednesday 5th of June!

It is disappointing to learn that you were also not satisfied with our food; since the great majority of our guests like our wide gastronomic offer to comply the expectations for all ages and nationalities, with her try to suit all tastes with a wide variety of both cold and hot dishes that are offered daily in our breakfast, lunches and our thematic restaurants, it is possible to enjoy during your stay in a wide range of recipes that are made on a daily basis are different and each with a different and unique, flavor throughout the week we have several theme-based dinners such as the Mexican and Caribbean with which you can enjoy the typical Caribbean flavor.

Regarding our health and safety, we can assure you that our main priority is to guarantee the security and hygiene in the hotel, with the support of the Cristal program, which was developed by the travel and tourism industry. This program has extremely high standards in regards to security and hygiene which meet the national and international laws on security and hygiene. It is revised every second week by external auditors, whom in case they detected some serious anomaly, would react and inform the hotel management immediately.
Nevertheless we do regret your experience and we very much appreciate your remark as these allow us to continue improving our level of service.

We hope that despite of this situation you afford us the opportunity to show you the real Valentin Imperial Maya experience in a future.

Best regards,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Where to start with this wonderful resort. My husband and I decided to come here on our honeymoon from July 9th-16th. When we first arrived we were taken into the lobby and greeted with a glass of champagne. We arrived at the hotel around 1pm and our room was ready immediately. We received the "honeymoon package", which was a basket of fruit in our room, a bottle of champagne and rose petals all over our bed. We were supposed to also receive bathrobes and have a honeymoon banner on the door but we didn't have either (which we were perfectly fine with). Everyone at the resort was so nice!

Food: The food was delicious! The breakfast and lunch buffet had so many options. The lunch buffet has a different theme every day which was nice because there was different options constantly. For dinner the first and second night we ate at Mar and Tierra. I had the salmon at Mar and it was really good, then at Tierra I had the filet which was also cooked perfectly. The third night we had our honeymoon dinner at the French restaurant which was by far our favorite restaurant. They decorated our table nicely and were very attentive. My husband order the filet mignon and it was one of the best steaks that he has ever had, it was cooked to perfection and the crusted onion soup and escargots was delicious. Again I had salmon that was much better than the one I had at Mar. For dessert we had the baked Alaska, which is a must have. I won't go into too much detail about all of the other food that we ate, but the risotto at the Italian restaurant was wonderful and the sushi at Ginger was great too. We heard that some people at the resort would go to the Ginger first and sit at the sushi bar for sushi appetizers and then go to the other restaurants for the main course. We did that one night and loved it. We also received a "special" appetizer from the sushi chef, and since I usually stick to certain sushi I really enjoyed it because I was able to try some new stuff. My husband and I ate so much food that I definitely need to hit the gym now.

Drinks: The hotel offers top shelf alcohol but you just have to ask for it, if not they will give you the house. They offer Dos Equis, Dos Equis Amber and Coors Light. The possibility of drinks at the bars are endless. The pool bar even has a menu of all the frozen drinks. Jorge and Hugo were our main bartenders and they were wonderful, they were very attentive and made whatever you wanted, no questions asked. The second night we were there we went to the Don Miguel piano bar. It was a quiet place but from 6:30-8:15 there is a piano player and my husband and I really enjoyed sitting there.

We didn't really stay up too late (too tired from being out at the pool all day) so we didn't really experience the nightlife.

The main pool area is fun, in the afternoon they play a crazy game at 1 and 4 and there is water polo and volley ball. The one comment that I have to make about the water polo is that the game later in the day sometimes gets a bit out of control because there are competitive guys who have been drinking all day and sometimes they get a little rowdy with one another. Many people float around in the pool on tubes and rafts. My husband and I did not have a raft, but we learned that if you get a hold of a raft, do not let it go or else you will lose it to someone else. We did not find getting a seat around the pool to be a problem, so we never went down to secure a seat (the hotel states that you are not allowed to reserve your spot, but people do anyway). The pool entertainment staff was also great, they dance and just have fun with their job and that was really nice to see because they got the people in the pool more involved.

We didn't go to the beach too much, but the days that we were there we always found chairs under the hut umbrellas. The ocean water is beautiful. Crystal clear water that you can see down to your toes and the sand is so soft, no shells or seaweed. As we were in the ocean there angel fish swimming around us every day and they were so pretty to look at. Some people would even bring bread in and feed them.

So many people are nervous about drinking the water in Mexico, but the hotel offers water bottles and the water they give you during meals is purified. They just suggest you do not drink the tap water. In the book in the hotel room it explains what they do with the water to make sure it is safe for the guests.

We were in building 4 which was right in the middle of the resort and it was the perfect distance from everything. The main pool has wifi and since our room was right by there we also had wifi but it was a little spotty.

Last but not least I want to talk about our FAVORITE bar tender Antonio Arias. We met him at Don Miguel and instantly liked him. He is so sweet and attentive. I told him that I wanted to bring home a specific bottle of the tequila but was afraid that it was going to be more expensive at the airport so he asked the hotel manager if he could bring me one. Unfortunately the hotel manager said that they were not allowed to do that, but just the fact that he wanted to help me out was so sweet. Antonio stated that they rotate different areas of the hotel every 14 days so by the end of our trip he was at the Martini bar, so that night we sat there and talked to him. If you are able to find Antonio you will be very pleased with him!

I feel like there is so much more to say about this great place! My husband and I will definitely be back next year and we are planning a trip back next July with a larger group of people. We did not partake in any excursions but just sat at the pool and beach for a week and absolutely loved the relaxing atmosphere and the great service. Not to mention, the resort is absolutely beautiful. We were very sad to leave and can not wait to come back next year!!!!!

Room Tip: Building 4 is directly in the middle of the resort so the walking distance to restaurants, the pool...
3 Thank Michelle_A32313
Dear Michelle from Filadelfia, Pensilvania,

Thank you for such wonderful comments regarding your honeymoon at our Valentin Imperial Maya. We know that our staff (especially Antonio Arias) will be truly motivated by your kind words about your experiences.

The hotel and the surrounding areas our unique and being a big, intimate property, really makes a visit to the Riviera Maya a special one.

Thank you for recommending our property. It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back at Valentin Imperial Maya maybe to celebrate your first anniversary?

Please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival so we can assist with all pre arrival requests and be sure that your stay surpasses all expectations.

E mail : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Royal Hideaway Playacar
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Car...
#23 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#39 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!