“Amazing”

Valentin Imperial Maya
Reading, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Have been back a week and am trying to book to go back next year. This holiday was fantastic and everybody were so nice and they couldn't do enough for you. Our suite was beautiful and was kept spotless by the hard working team. I can't imagine why anyone would have a bad word to say about the place, I guess they must have stayed in a different resort. We stayed for 14 nights as it is a long flight from the UK but the staff made it so worth it. As soon as we arrived they were taking my suitcase and handing us a nice cold beer. The choice of food on offer is mind blowing and so good, everything cooked perfectly and exactly how you have asked for it. I really can't put into words how great this experience was all I can so is book it now!!! You won't be sorry.
Lisa

1 Thank Lisa P
F T, Subdirector at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Lisa from Reading,UK

The Valentin Imperial Maya wants to thank you for your warm hearted review. It was a true pleasure to be able to host such distinguished guests and being able to make it "Amazing" for you!

Your kind comments we surely be shared with all the staff members .

We do hope to have the opportunity to host you again on your next visit to Mexico and "Exceed your Expectations"!

Truly yours,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,580)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Virginia
Reviewed July 11, 2013

On June 20-28 we returned to the Valentin for the third time in three years. My wife and I have enjoyed the Valentin the last two times because of the friendliness of the staff, the quality of the food, seclusion of the resort, price point (very affordable compared to the other Adults only in Mexico) and the selection of alcohol. We have just been impressed with the overall quality of the resort.

When we went for the second time we went with two friends in November of 2011 and we had an awesome time again. We have always been of the mindset that we would book a basic room and upgrade to a higher category room upon arrival. This has always worked for us as it’s always cheaper to go through the resort than to book it through your travel agent or web site. However, we understand that you risk availability when you do it this way. Now, I will start with the negative things about our third trip.
1) On our second trip we upgraded from a Jr. Deluxe Suite to an Emerald 2nd floor oceanfront suite for $300.00 US Dollars for the 7 nights. We were told that they could do this because it was our second time there. They also upgraded our friends for $400.00 as well. Well, being it was our third trip this set the pace for what we thought would be another courteous upgrade. When we arrived everything was going very smooth, we received the warm welcome from the bell staff, two glasses of Champaign, and were greeted by a very friendly receptionist Sandra. When we asked to upgrade our room we were told that it would be $784.00 US Dollars to upgrade to the same room that we got on our second trip. I explained to her that we only paid $300.00 on our second trip and she went in the back and came out with the manager on duty. Now let me say that we contacted him through email before our arrival and asked what it would be to upgrade and were told the same price $784.00. However, we thought that we would receive consideration as it was our third trip to this resort in three years. Additionally, the Valentin advertises that they have a loyalty program and we thought this would work in our favor too. Well it was like buying a used car; he went in the back several times and would come out with different offers. The first was they could upgrade us at 50% off, but it would only be a first floor room. He said they no longer offer discounts on the second floor rooms. We wanted a second floor room for two reasons; one they had just had a terrible rain storm the flooded the entire resort and were worried about mold and dampness and second we wanted to have a view of the ocean. I again asked for consideration as we could have gone to many other resorts. He went in the back again and came out with a no answer. I told him that we were prepared to pay for this room and they could make extra money on us or not, so I offered him $500.00 for the week. So he went in the back again. While he was in the back we were told by another receptionist that we should press for the 50% on the second floor room which would have been $392.00. Well, he came out and said they could go it for $540.00. We were exhausted with the ridiculous process and agreed to the $540.00. Now let me say that this was particularly disturbing being that this manager looked like he was 15 years old. I am really sorry that I did not get his name, because he really did not seem to care that we were returning guests. Needless to say this process pretty much started our third trip to the Valentin on a negative note. So, we started out on the first floor the first night and were moved to the second floor the second night. Sandra was very nice and worked it out so that we did not have to repack our bags and go through the 3pm check-in process again. She also moved us to the second floor of the same building. In my opinion, she needs to be the manager and the person we dealt with needs to be cutting grass. This is not how you treat your retuning guests and the Valentin needs to reposition employees like him to positions that have little to no contact with their guests. When it comes to a possible fourth trip, Sandra just might have saved the Valentin.

We just have a few small suggestions for the management to consider:
1) Expand your beer selection. Coors Light and Dos Equis hard are the only two options. The competitors like Secret’s Maroma have Coors Light, Bud Light, Corona, Corona Light, Modelo, Pacifico, Modelo Light, and Dos Equis.
2) Add a small beach bar on the far end of the resort to service the main beach area. If you ordered a drink it was hot or melted by the time you got it. Additionally, it would make it much easier on your beach staff and provide quicker service to your guests.
3) Adjust the turndown service to begin at 7:30pm. On our first two trips to the Valentin we had towel art from the turndown service every night when we came back to the room. On this trip, TWO! The maids would come between 5 and 6 pm. This is when most people are getting ready to go to dinner or enjoying their Jacuzzi tub. If you asked them to give you 1 hour they would not come back.
4) Better utilize the Don Miguel bar. Add some live music to the atmosphere to bring in more of your guests. We enjoyed going there after dinner every night. Gilberto was awesome.
5) Change the lunch service at Mar and Tierra back to A La Carte. It was nice to order from the menu for lunch.
6) Change to policy with the water sports so that you don’t have to deposit $100.00 to use the catamaran. The last time all you have to do was sign the waver and liability form. This how other resorts do it. Nobody wants to worry about getting bad money back! Oh, by the way I feel like we should mention Sergio at the water sports. He was very nice and always spoke to us and remembered our names. He was always in a chipper mood!!! I know the Valentin probably does not own the water sports, but you do advertise this as a perk to your guests. It’s not a perk if you are discouraged by an uncomfortable policy. Also, some of the other water sports were a little high in price (Jet Ski and Parasail).
7) If you are going to have loyalty program then have it! We took the time to ask about enrolling in the program and were told that it would not include credit for our prior visits. Additionally, if you do not return with one year you lose your points. What kind of loyalty program is this!!!! It apparently only benefits you if you are on your second trip and it was less than one year since your first. Smoke and Mirrors!!!!!!!

Overall I would say that we had an enjoyable experience at the Valentin. All of the wait staff were very courteous and friendly. We were able to get down on the beach at night to witness the sea turtles nesting. This was awesome experience that we had not witnessed on the previous trips. We also, went on the snorkel trip that went right from the resort beach. It was $40 usd per person and was awesome. They took you to a reef that was right out from the Secrets Maroma Beach. No, I don’t work for Secrets! The Valentin is a wonderful resort, however I believe that we just might decide to pay just a little more to try one of the many other resorts near Cancun. Please don’t get me wrong, if you are on a budget and want the best for your buck, the Valentin is the place for you. However, as a returning guest who would have probably brought 4 or 5 couples on the next trip, they could do much more for their guests. I am saying this because I have seen the services before and they have changed them. Valentin, step it up and we will return!

5 Thank VAES
F T, Subdirector at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Repeat Guests from Virginia,

It is naturally very disappointing that you did not enjoy this visit as much as in the Valentin imperial maya, please accept our apologies. It is certainly not our intention to disappoint our guests and even less our repeat guest; however, it is obvious that we failed to meet your expectations on several points. I wish to reassure you, that we have addressed your comments to the executive management to ensure that we take all the necessary action to improve our services as well to reduce the opportunity for these mistakes to reoccur.

Please be assured that we have taken this matter extremely seriously .We look forward to the possibility of welcoming you back to our Hotel where we can personally meet you and look after your requirements.

Do not hesitate to contact us at : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Best Regards
Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Just book it already!! Believe me, you will love this hotel. Awesome time even though it was the rainy season. My bf and I went for our 1 year anniversary. We are both looking into going back next year. Everyone is very nice, very attentive, smiley, respectful. Very clean and located very close to Cancun and Playa del Carmen. 1hr and a half from Tulum. Even closer to Xcaret and Xplor. I strongly recommend it. If you go, you cant miss the restaurant Mar y Tierra for dinner. Beachfront and candle lights...cannot get any better than that. Our server Ivan was great here for breakfast and lunch. All their restaurants were beautiful and their food was amazing. If you like lamb, try it at the Indonesian restaurant... Really good!
The only thing we did not like is that we wished they had more shows of their own culture. We found it too Americanized. Even though their Broadway, Elvis and Michael Jackson shows were great, we were hoping more for their Mayan and Mexican shows, the mariachis, and the Mexican music. BTW... you have to go to the Mayan show, it is great.
We would had also liked it better if they had had the disco night at a club(closed space) and not at the plaza... but again, those are personal choices... you are not gonna go wrong with this hotel.
Enjoy!!

Room Tip: We got upgraded from Deluxe to Silver(hot tub) and it was big difference. But again if you are not p...
4 Thank Luci S
Dear Luci from Saint Petersburg, Florida,

It's a pleasure to know that you spend a beautiful vacation with us and mostly if was such a special occasion as your 1st Anniversary!

Always will be a pleasure to provide our guests with the best service and our goal is that our guests go home with intentions of returning.

Your feedback regarding the Mayan and Mexican entertainment and disco will be considered with our entertainment manager in order to ameliorate that service in the future.

Do not hesitate to let us know as soon as you are ready to return.

customercare@valentinmaya.com

Warm regards from the VIM
Warrenton, Missouri, United States

We Traveled may 27th - June 4th 2013
To start off booked a trip for our 10 year anniversary. We took our two best friends who were celebrating their 6 year anniversary. When we checked in, the front desk man was very rude and was in disbelief that it was both our anniversaries. When we booked this hotel a full year in advance we asked them to put us in rooms next to each other. Not only were we not next to each other we were in separate buildings on complete opposite sides of the resort. All that being said the resort was gorgeous and the staff was amazing. Gilberto was a waiter there that was exception. I truly feel he brightened the ladder part of our trip. He went above and beyond to make our experience better!!
Ok so the first three days were amazing weather was great. We did have issues with the housekeeping not refilling our towels and wash clothes. Pretty minor, but a little frustrating.
The 4th day of the trip things took a turn for the worse. The events would leave us wondering if we would ever return. A tropical storm hit the resort and poured massive amounts of rain on the hotel. Being in a tropical location you would think that this would happen occasionally. The hotel was so ill prepared for what was about to come. The entire resort was flooded. We had to wade through 6-8 inches of water on the ground floor of every building. Water was pouring in from every light fixture in the resort. (restaurants, bathrooms, lobby, and rooms) buildings were without power for over 24 hours. As we talked to everyone there wasn't one person on the resort that stayed dry. Water was coming in from the balcony and windows and light fixtures. We were starting to fear for our safety. The staff would not give us any information and continued to pretend it was fine. For the next three days of our stay the entire facility was shut down. The pool turned black and was closed and every other form of entertainment was gone. We had food and everyone from the resort packed into a tiny outdoor lobby trying to make do. Not what I paid $3500 for. The staff finally handed papers out everyday at breakfast to inform us of what all would be unavailable (everything). So many people left the resort or went home early that we could not get a flight out and most other resorts were full.
On our flight home we talked to people at other resorts and they did not have the same problems. I am so disappointed that a 6+ star resort would fall apart so quickly. Due to all the flooding the water filtration system was compromised and my husband ended up very sick. When we checked out we had lost one of the room keys and the same rude front desk man that checked us in, charged us $5 for it. After all we had been through and this is how he treats us.
We still considered going back for a re-do in hopes the resort had fixed the problems and learned from a very fatal mistake, however when attempting to get "compensated" for our 4 days lost the Valentine gave us a $300 voucher. Really???? That would barely pay for 1 night. I can't say I wouldn't recommend this place, but as for our experience here it was not good and the management staff was very poor during the situation. Travel with caution!!! We will be taking our voucher somewhere else.

Room Tip: I would not pay more for "suites" we bought the cheapest room and it was gorgeous and ever...
2 Thank Danielle C
Dallas, TX
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I (both in our late 20's) recently returned from the VIM. We visited for seven days over the 4th of July weekend. We have both been to several other Mexico all-inclusives, as well as the Domincan Rep.

The VIM is by far the largest resort we've ever been too. This has it's pros and cons. The pro was that because the hotel was full capacity, it still did not seem crowded. Waits at resturants were minimal and pool chairs weren't impossible to find. The con is that you have to walk pretty far for everything, so don't leave anything in the room. The beach is quite a hike too, especially if you don't purchase a privledge package that reserves a beach hut right off the entrance. For the most part, I felt removed from the beach since you can't see the ocean from the rooms or pool area unless you walk all the way down to it.

The main pool and two swim up bars were great w/ lots of fresh drinks with top shelf liquor. One negative is that they only play music on one sideof the HUGE pool, so if you don't get lucky with a chair in that exact area, you can't hear any music from the other side.

We stayed in the Golden Suite in building 7, located on the 2nd floor. The room was nice and faced the lazy river. Since the floors are all tile, unless your on the top floor you WILL hear people above you. Not a problem for us, but could bother some.

The food was above average for an all-inclusive. The Steakhouse, Tierra, had American beef and the filet was on point. Room service was also very tasty and very prompt.

Overall, we had a great anniversay stay at the VIM and it's a great place for couples and friends to relax and have a good time.

3 Thank Hollie R
Largo
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife and I just returned from celebrating our 25th anniversary. We upgraded to the golden suites when we got there and it was well worth it. I cannot say enough about this resort, the vacation was like a dream come true. The staff was exceptional in every way, professional, courteous and attentive, it was a pleasure to meet each and everyone of them. The food was excellent and the liquor assortment top shelf. We are just working class people and were treated like royalty during our stay. The only down side to the vacation was when my wife's cell phone was stolen out of her luggage. I reported it to security and they arrived at our room within minutes. The issue was never resolved, but I blame myself for not putting anything of value in the safe. This incident will not keep us from coming back. We plan on returning in two years with another couple when they celebrate their 25th anniversary.

Room Tip: The Golden Suite upgrade was well worth it.
Dear recent VIM Guests from Florida,

Thank you for having chosen our resort for your recent vacation and for such a special occasion as your 25th anniversary was. Your comments made us so happy and so proud to work in this little piece of Paradise. We will share your comments with our staff, positive feedbacks as yours encourages us to work harder to offer good service every day.

Regarding your wife's cell phone, we understand your dissatisfaction but we do also always recommend our guests to take full advantage of the complimentary safety deposit box in the room to leave their personal belongings. In your case, unfortunately according to our security procedures, there was a detailed investigation completed and followed by the Security Manager with no employees resulted involved. Rest assured that we have continued working in strengthen the controls to make our guests feel confident and relaxed in our premises.

Despite this issue, we are happy that you were able to put this behind you and enjoy all the great services and facilities we have to offer at the Valentin Imperial Maya.

We look forward to your return visit very soon.

Warm regards
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 6 nights in early June 2011. We loved the 24-hour room service, the view from our balcony, and the expansive size since it allowed us to take nice walks at night after dinner. The staff was very friendly and professional. We had stayed at a Sandals the year before in the Bahamas and we both avidly agreed that this resort was much better in their service, accommodations, and the room itself. The pools were never too crowded, it was easy to get a drink, and we loved the different restaurants including the plentiful breakfast buffet! We have recommended this resort to friends and would definitely go again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
F T, Customer Care - JV at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Casey King,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with future travelers, we enjoyed reading your feedback and are happy you had a great vacation at VIM.

Again thank you again for your comment and we would be more than happy to welcome you back for a second holiday in our resort.

Please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival.

E mail : customercare@valentinmaya.com
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#34 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#39 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!