“They Try Harder...”

Valentin Imperial Maya
Reviewed June 20, 2013

to make their guests' stays an pampering experience. Without doubt the employees were the most welcoming and gracious we have ever experienced during our extensive travels.

We enjoyed our first visit to the Mexican Riviera at the Valentin. It was a relaxing chill-out sort of vacation, other than the 14 hour tour we took one day to see Chichen Itza, Ek Balam, cenote, etc.

We booked early thru apple (hotel only) and got locked into paying a higher rate than that offered several months out but still feel we received great value. I booked a Silver Suite (to guarantee a king bed) and all my requests were met: building two, upper floor that afforded us a distant view of the ocean from our balcony. The resort wound up selling out during our stay.

We received a charming swan towel/rose display on our bed for our anniversary trip along with door decoration, bottle of champagne and piece of chocolate cake upon our arrival.

Our first afternoon we found a lively bunch of folks in the pool and quickly settled into our routine for the next week. We would wake around 8 am to secure an umbrella on the beach and would either go immediately to eat breakfast or wait for an early lunch, returning to our spot. The beach is supposed to be among the safest in the area but it was still too rough for my tastes, disappointing. Mid afternoon we'd head up to the pool, which would start to clear out by that time. We never had a problem getting a chair or pool float.

We ate dinner early, no issue with dining anywhere, especially enjoyed the japanese steak house (non-hibachi section). The french & indonesian were decent, not a fan of the steak/seafood venues. Breakfast and lunch offerings were more varied in the restaurant near the lobby area.

Drinks were plentiful and top shelf liquor available. Entertainment was on par with that on cruise ships, nice to have diversion. We spent a lot of time in the sports bar watching hockey playoffs that week.

My only concern was the set up of the jacuzzi and the curtain...not for privacy but safety. One night I didn't realize that water had splashed out of the tub into the bedroom area. When walking to bed I slipped and took a rather nasty fall. They did offer slippers and small throw rugs near the end tables at the head of the bed but perhaps some sort of non slip flooring area surrounding the tub in the bedroom area would be a good idea for those of us used to carpeting?

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank keisha99

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I feel bad for the people who had a poor trip because of the storm but we showed up 7 days after the storm and it was totally cleaned up, everything was open. We were told by some other travelers that the pools were filled with black mud after the flooding, when we got there the pools were perfect! They clearly worked very hard to get the place cleaned and back to normal.

Cool towel on arrival
Champaine in the lobby
Delicious Food
Beautiful beach
Beautiful pools
Great room even though we were only in the very base room.
24 hour room service!
It is not required to tip. That being said the staff were so attentitive that we actually tipped more and more as time went on because everyone was so pleasent, fun, and took their job seriously.
We will be back.

3  Thank tackelfool
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I travelled to the Valentin in January just after the holidays with my parents. It was the first time travelling south for my parents and they really enjoyed it. The hotel was very nice. It was clean, beautiful, vast and the restaurants were all very good (all 'à la carte' restaurants for the diner, which was greatly appreciated). My mom got sick on the plane so the first days there were not as relazing as expected, but the staff was very helpful with that so everything ended up nicely. We had some issues with the mattresses on the first night, but the staff fixed it quickly so we could have a good sleep the rest of the week. That was actually the only point which felt a little strange since the hotel is very luxuous but still has cheap mattresses. That did not change my mind about the quality of the hotel...if that happens to you, just ask the staff and they'll change the mattress for you.

Now about sports: I would probably not recommend the hotel for sports lovers since they were not that much sporting opportunities. There is a tennis court, but no tournaments organized, no lessons opportunities. As for the water sports, I can't tell since the weather was too windy and they had to cancel everything.

Beach and pools: The beach was nice. I walked along a lot and figured out the hotel has the best spot...but still I prefered the pool. The main pool can be busy, but it's not that noisy. The lazy river is a relaxing place.

Excursions: If you can afford it, take a cab to wherever you want to go because the bus to excursions stops literally everywhere and that rapidly turns a 20 minutes drive into a 2 hours one, which can be annoying.

Finally, the hotel might not be ideal for singles, but I guess that it depends on the time of the year you go there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Anne R

Stayed from 28th May till 7th June

This was our honeymoon so I looked at a lot of places before choosing Valentin and I am so happy with my decision.
I booked the holiday through Hayes and Jarvis and originally booked a silver junior suite but we really wanted the golden jr swim up suite. I booked the Valentin forever package which includes a room upgrade as well as numerous other amenities like romantic dinner on the beach and French restaurant, a spa treatment and late checkout. I was in touch with the resort via phone few months prior to arriving,to ensure my requests were met. I spoke to Neftali the concierge who upgraded me to the swim up suite and also towards the end of building 8 near the end of pool which I requested. I also wanted the room upgrade to be a surprise for my wife and didn't want her to find out till she actually walked into the room. So I requested Neftali to ensure that the check in people do not mention what room we have when we arrive. Neftali was very patient and ensured all requests were met.
We arrived in Cancun to rainy weather which dampened our spirits. Once we reached resort we were greeted with wet towels, a welcome home and taken straight to check in. At the desk I had my fingers crossed he didn't mention the upgrade. I was relieved that he didn't and gave me a small wink as as signal. We were only ones checking in so was very fast and taken straight to room 8112.

THE ROOM
I became so happy as my wife's face lit up when she saw her surprise. The golden jr swim up is amazing! A huge room with a little garden leading straight into the pool complete with our own deck chairs and the swim up bar a short walk away. It was perfect for us as we would wake up an go straight for a dip in the pool and sometimes after dinner when it's dark. That was very relaxing as the crickets were chirping and a perfect starry night.

FOOD AND DRINKS
My wife and I are Muslim therefore we require a strict seafood and vegetarian diet.
The lunch buffet was nice but got boring quite quickly as it was the same things everyday... I mean there's only so many fries and onion rings you can eat in 9 days! I just wish there was more variety for vegetarians.
The dinners were amazing we tried all restaurants except taman sari and we loved ginger the most, we ate there twice. That tempura ice cream is to die for! We also had 2 romantic dinners included as part of the Valentin forever package, 1 on the beach and 1 in the French restaurant. We were really looking forward to the beach 1 but it was cancelled due to the storm (more on that later). The romantic dinner at the French was amazing. We got picked up by the bell boys in the golf cart and taken straight to the restaurant where we are escorted to a private room with a candle lit table decorated with rose petals and a special 6 course honeymoon menu.

THE STORM!!!
On Saturday 1st June it started raining heavily in the evening and didn't stop. By 11pm a thunderstorm arrived and went on for 11 hours through the night! It was very scary outside seeing the lights had gone out and seeing bright flashes of lightning and crashing thunder. We just couldn't sleep that night. In the morning the storm had passed however it left devastation in the resort as our area was flooded and the pools looked like swamps! We also saw that many people were in the lobby as their room was flooded. We counted ourselves lucky that our room was ok. We also saw ceilings fallen through and major damage to sports bar. Room service was closed and so was mar y tierra.
Now while I understand there's no controlling the weather, I just wish that the resort was better prepared for the forecast.
It really put a dent on all our plans as my scuba diving excursion got cancelled and the romantic beach dinner was cancelled as it rained pretty much every day after the storm while we were there I was gutted for both as I was really looking forward to them. Also the pools didn't get cleaned till the day we were leaving so couldn't use the swim up feature much. I really do hope the resort is better prepared next time.

THE STAFF
We were really impressed by all the staff here. Every single one of them go out of their way to make sure you have a wonderful time, even little things like saying hola every time they walk past. We tipped for golf cart rides, dinners and housekeeping and they appreciate it so much. Big shout out to Neftali the concierge who was just amazing. He sorted all my requests out and also worked to get us a part refund for not being able to have our romantic beach dinner. If you're reading this Neftali, thank you so much for everything. Also Marco and Gerardo the bell boys who are always willing to help with golf carts and are great to chat to.

Overall we had a good time despite the storm. And will definitely be back to enjoy the beautiful resort when the weather is better. Ignore the bad reviews others have given because of the storm.
You will love it. I can't wait to go back!!!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rayhaan2k9
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I've never been tempted to write a review before, but everyone and every thing at the Valentin was beyond expectation and outstanding. The staff graciousness begins at check-in, where we were seated at a lovely table and given champagne rather than standing in a line. What a simple way to set the tone for the coming week and add to the experience! Quiet, romantic, beautiful and elegant. We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: The Silver Suites are lovely. We were never woken with outside noise. The blackout curtains are a g...
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and I visited the Valentin Imperial in late May 2013 and we are already excited to plan our next trip back! The food was fantastic, the grounds were gorgeous and the service was beyond anything we would have expected from an AI. The French restaurant was our favorite but the Indonesian restaurant was a pleasant surprise. The Hibachi restaurant is the only restaurant that requires a reservation and they only accept reservations the day of starting at 3pm. Even then you have to wait in line to get a reservation, I have to say, it was well worth the wait- we had a blast!
Our rooms was the deluxe suite and it was clean, had a nice big balcony and was very comfortable.Tip- if you have the regular deluxe suites, ask for building 5 on an upper floor.
The following list is more of a heads up than a list of "cons". I don't think any should be a deal breaker when making your decision b/c everything else at the resort was so great!
- There are no hot tubs in any of the pools, just the guest rooms (not all guest rooms have hot tubs). We found that to be a little disappointing. The have areas of the pools with jets and the water is warmer but it free flows into the pool so it is not a true hot tub.
- There could have been better ventilation in the guestroom bathrooms (no windows or fans)
- Pool floats were old and damaged. (Tip- bring your own or buy one in the gift shop)
- Check in was a little odd. This was actually my only gripe about the whole trip....we arrived early and had to wait a little while and once we were called, the person checking us in pointed out that we did not have any special requests on our reservation, and we were going to be given a room with two double beds, on a ground floor in building 3 (not the best building). I guess it was my fault for not making a special request so I wasn't going to argue but figured I should at least ask if there was any way to change that and she immediately said no, they were sold out yet in the same breath said, well let me see what I can do (note: we did not push the issue, only asked once). Then after a number of minutes and a bunch of running back and forth, she came back, flustered, to offer us a " free upgrade" to a king bed on the 2nd floor of building 5. This wasn't an "upgrade"....all the rooms in buildings 3, 4 and 5 are the same. We were happy to get the king bed but why was it such a production? It just added time and confusion on to the check in process and just rubbed us the wrong way...
Despite the rocky check in, I would still absolutely recommend this resort!

Room Tip: Make sure you request a king bed on an upper floor ahead of your reservation.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank BAMC1024
Reviewed June 18, 2013

First off I want to say this resort is beautiful. My rating is based on things that were somewhat out of their control. We stayed at this resort from June 1st - June 6th. We arrived to rain but just a sprinkle. Well the tropical storm hit and pounded the resort with 15+ inches of rain our first night. I checked the weather before we left and no mention of any bad storms, just rain the first two days. Obviously In no way do I blame the resort for the weather however I do feel the days following could have been handled better. Many people lost power and we were lucky as to not. For the most part, the resort "shut down". Hibachi grill was closed too. Most entertainment was cancelled except our last night there. Restaurants were closed, etc. The pools were all closed due to the run off from the lagoons which quickly filled with black nasty looking water. The ONLY thing left in place was the ocean which of course was pretty rough. I understand that the workers were probably pulled from other areas of the hotel to try to clean as quick as possible but I felt like those of us who were there were completely forgotten. We were able to sit by the ocean and there was maybe 2 bartenders at a time. Maybe that works normally but everyone from the hotel was at the ocean due to that was pretty much all that was left to do. The staff near the lobby area were all very polite and helpful but this was not the case by the ocean. They were completely overwhelmed. I stood in line at the bar for 25 minutes to get a drink and the bartenders were not friendly at all. I politely asked for a straw for my drink and wow did I get a response! The pools turned black as I said from the overflow of water on Saturday night. I envisioned much different service!!! Our air in our room was not working. We called the lobby. They said they would check it. They left a message saying it was fine. Well there was no air in that room and the thermostat kept going up...but they said it is working????? Again very frustrating!

It was frustrating that we never saw them working on the pools until Wednesday. Maybe there was a reason but each day I was there I asked about the pool and Monday they said it would open Tuesday, Tuesday they said Wednesday, etc. We walked the beachfront down to the resorts around this area and they had pools and looked to be in business as usual. No problems with their pools. Would guess they have some serious problems with layout of resort. We spent all this money for a vacation to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and while again weather is uncontrollable but resorts around us were okay but this one was not.

I was not able to use my cell phone at the resort to pull up the weather so I asked in the lobby, same response...Monday they said rain pretty much over but it rained ALOT more, Tuesday same response, etc. I felt as though the lobby was just saying what as a guest we would want to hear ...not the truth. I wish I could give this resort a better rating but I can't. From what I saw I would not recommend a visit.

5  Thank illinifan71
F T, Subdirector at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Recent VIM guests from Illinois

Thank you for taking the time to express your impressions regarding your recent stay in the VIM.

As we already responded to others reviews , Riviera Maya has been affected by a tropical storm which dropped nearly 12 inches (300 mm) of rain in a 24-hour period, our area (Playa del Secreto) was unfortunately the most affected. The constant rain provoked a series of inundations affecting rooms and public areas in general as well as the power network in some buildings.

We are deeply sorry and we do apologize for the inconveniences this meteorological situation completely out of our hands might have caused you.

The staff was doing their very best and was working very hard in order to reestablish all our services on a normally basis and getting things back to an state that our valued guests expect but once again the weather has not been in cooperation with some of our efforts and for safety reasons, we have closed our beach restaurants and swimming pools.

We were in constant contact with the wholesale agency and our in-house guests in order to offer the best service possible and to expedite alternative solutions in the best way possible.
In agreement with the travel providers, we were allowing in-house guests moving to other resort or guests arriving after the storm to change their reservations without any penalty.

We would also like to confirm some points regarding our facilities and services’ situation during the unusual rain.

-Activities and Service from the Sports Bar were being offered between our Main Bar Don Miguel, our Martini Bar and El Palenque Theater . Our Night time entertainment, Karaoke, Show, Imperial Band followed by disco Night was still scheduled.

-The room service was operating from Tuesday June 4th from 08:00 am onwards.

-All restaurants in main building (included the four Tepanyaki Tables in Restaurant Ginger) and 2 of the 3 pools were opened on normal basis from Wednesday June 5 th.

-The Silver pool opened on the 4th, the golden pool on the 5th and we were pleased to reopen the main pool on Thursday June 6th. Between de 1st and 4th it was raining! For security reason, guests are not allowed to use to Pools when it’s raining. (For your information our staff was cleaning the pools at night time).

With our regrets, we hope you will understand that this situation was totally out of our control and we hope that despite of this situation you afford us the opportunity to show you the real Valentin Imperial Maya experience in a future.

Best regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Secreto
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#60 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#20 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#36 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#43 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!