We arrived at the Valentin 5/11/08 and were greeted with the usual champagne and cool towels.
We selected this resort because it was a new property and had some promising reviews of previous guests. We were there to celebrate our wedding anniversary on May 12.
We experienced a power outage around 11:45 PM and phoned the front desk to alert them to the problem around 2:00 AM. We were informed by the Valentin that the power outage affected the entire resort. We read reviews a few weeks prior to our departure and had seen that various units throughout the property experienced power outages, but the longest it took for the power to be restored was about 8 hours and were limited
to only a few units at a time.
It was a very uncomfortable night sleeping without air conditioning, but the worst was having no water. We phoned the front desk a second time and the phone rang, but no one answered our call. A third call to the desk produced a busy signal.
We attempted to eat breakfast, but the food did not taste right and we were concerned about sanitary food preparation since employees did not have water to wash utensils and their hands.
Employees were forced to remove water from the swimming pool to flush toilets.
We went to the front desk and asked to be relocated to a comparable resort and were told that we would be notified by our concierge no later than 4:00 PM. We wanted to phone our travel agent, but were told by staff that when the power was lost, the phones were also. I asked how this was possible when we phoned the front desk about the problem several hours after power was lost and they could not provide a suitable explanation tto my inquiry.
We were also informed by the front desk that management at the Valentin were to have a meeting at noon to discuss evacuation plans if power was not restored by 3:00 because not only was it a health concern but a general safety concern as well since rooms were spread out so far we would be in total darkness and we were trapped without phone service.
Upon arrival at our ocean front room, our concierge said that water had been restored, and that management was meeting at 4:00 to discuss evacuation plans, and that management would not leave guests stranded without power for a second night.
We were on our way to the front desk, again, around 6:00 PM when we saw other guests leaving the property. They informed us that people were being moved to the Secrets Capri. How nice of the front desk and our concierge to inform us of this decision!! In fact, our concierge was nowhere to be found from 2:30 on and no auxillary staff were provided to us as a link to management's "Evacuation Plan" as promised after 4:00 by front desk personell.
We demanded to be moved to the Capri and arrived at their property around 8:30 PM. Another entire vacation day wasted in discomfort and stress. Upon leaving the lobby they must have had a generator providing power to the gift shop so that people could shop. We thought this was in extremely poor taste given the fact that selling merchandise took precedent over the comfort of paying guests!
The Secrets staff could not have been nicer to us and we were provided with a room immediately; however, we were given the cheapest room overlooking the parking lot when we paid for an oceanfront at the Valentin. Another problem was rude guests next door to us celebrating a wedding for the remainder of our trip leaving their tv on full blast day and night and keeping us up until 4:30 AM every day until our departure of May 18th.
What was supposed to be a relaxing time for us became increasingly worse as the vacation progressed. We believe that
the Valentin management wanted to keep as many people at the resort as possible at all cost so that they could continue to profit at the guests expense.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Valentin Imperial Maya is the new definition of paradise. Our 5 star Adults-Only (18+) All-Inclusive Resort is located a short 25 minutes from Cancun International Airport in the Riviera Maya. Set amid lavish gardens on a half-mile-long stretch of white sand beach named Playa Del Secreto (The Secret Beach), this magnificent award-winning resort boasts one of the largest swimming pools in Mexico. The location is ideal as one can easily reach Cancun and the world famous Mayan archaeological sites such as Tulum, Coba, and Chichen Itza, yet be removed enough to enjoy the casually elegant ambience of Valentin Imperial Maya. Escape into a world where your every wish is our command. Come indulge yourself....You deserve it! Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel & Spa is committed to preserve the environment by reducing the consumption of natural resources, promoting among our guests and staff, protection and respect for the environment through good environmental practices. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Valentin Imperial Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
- Valentin Imperial Maya Riviera Maya, Mexico