“beautiful, but.......” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Valentin Imperial Maya

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Valentin Imperial Maya
austin, tx
“beautiful, but.......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2008

This is a beautiful resort, the staff were great, the food was bordering on terrible with a couple exceptions.
We were greeted by cool towels, and a glass of champagne. Staff were very helpful.
Rooms were very clean, nice comfortable beds in our swim-up suite. The pool for the swim-up suites do not connect to the other pools, and for our room after 1200 pm it was not in the sun.
We were in room 7105.
Room service was prompt.although staff answering phone did not speak english well. YOU CANNOT ORDER BOTTLES OF WINE, even though you can order 10 glasses of wine. Unable to get staff to tell me what wines were available, so just ended up with a white wine. If you are a wine person, this is not the place for you, because your only choices for a red or white were from Chile and Mexico, none of which were good. You could get other wines but they were not included in the price of the all-inclusive.
The food at the buffet was generally good. The lobster restaurant was not all that great, lobster was overcooked and very tough. The Japanese restaurant was good, but do not expect to be able to order sushi from the table, only able to get sushi if you sat at the sushi bar within the restaurant. The Italian restaurant was mediocre at best. Pasta was cooked to mush, parmesan crisps in the salad was like eating leather. The Mexican restaurant was not good!! IN Mexico, you should have good mexican food, and someone needs to teach the bartenders how to make a margarita. Oh and the Mexican restaurant does not have salsa for tacos......they looked at me like I was crazy......not sure what all that was about.
Shows were ok......some of the late night things scheduled, such as disco night were not held.....no announcements, just not done.
The staff do work very hard to make sure you were satisfied, and were accomadating......All in all though, the restaurants need more staff, and they need to taste their food before they serve it, because they would not be bringing some of those plates out if they did.
You were unable to get food at the pool or the beach......just nachos, empanadas, and 2 other things.....which were gross by the time they got to you. Not even able to order a shrimp cocktail anywhere!!
If you like wine and great food this is probably not the place for you! It is a beautiful resort with a great beach & great pool.

Stayed May 2008
6 Thank kraasch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,426)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
North Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2008

We stayed at the Valentin Imperial Maya April 26 to May 5, 2008. I booked the trip with Apple Vacations by Cindy Rapley of Batavia Custom Travel in Batavia, Illinois.

WORKERS: I would first like to thank the following workers of the Valentin for the service excellence and friendliness we received during our stay. Concierge's Martin, Omar and Jose; pool bartenders Samuel and Ray; beach bartender Daniel; Luiz at the French restaurant; Carlos, Ivan and Ricardo at the Steak restaurant; Manuel and Ezmerelda at the Buffet. I can not say enough about the treatment we received from all. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

CANCUN AIRPORT: Getting through customs was relatively quick. They had many agents so the lines moved fast. There were many timeshare people in the lobby but we were not bothered. Once outside we found the Apple Rep and he directed us to our transportation.

TRANSPORT TO RESORT: We were transported to the resort in a large van. There were 8 people in the van. The route was all high way and took about 30 minutes. The Valentin Imperial Maya was the first stop so we did not get to see any other resorts.

RESORT CHECK IN: We arrived at about 12 noon. We were greeted by 2 bellhops, one took our luggage and the other showed us to the lobby for check in. Champagne and a wet towel were given to you, very nice touch. Check in is done at individual desks. You wait for one of the clerks to get free. A room was ready and we were upgraded, Thank You Valentin. Now you are transported to the room via golf cart. Our luggage showed up shortly after.

BRACELETS: No bracelets to wear at this resort.

ROOM: Our room was in Tower 13 room 205, 2nd floor, ocean front. Tower 13 is close to the pool, beach and the beach restaurant. The views from the patio and bathroom Jacuzzi were spectacular. There is a folding door you can open in front of the Jacuzzi and enjoy the view, the breeze, and ocean. The Jacuzzi drain plug did not stop the water completely. The patio had 2 chairs and a table perfect for observing the ocean. Bathroom was nice size with dual sinks. Water pressure was good. There was plenty of hot and cold water. The water appeared to be softened. The toilet was in a separate room. At times it could get very hot in the toilet room because there was no ventilation and no windows to open. The TV is a flat screen with a good selection of channels, and the remote works. A DVD player is also included. There is a nice size safe in the closet. There are motion detectors in the room. If there is no movement in the room I believe the AC shuts down, or it certainly seemed that way during the night. If you open any of the ocean front doors the AC shuts off. The AC was not cold on 4/26, 4/27, and 4/28, 2008. There was barely any airflow from the vent and it was not cold. The overhead fan helped somewhat. I made continuous calls to the operator. That was pretty much worthless; no one came to check the AC. I discussed the problem with the concierge's Martin and Omar. They investigated and I was told there was a problem at the plant that supplies the cold water to the rooms. On 4/29/2008 the AC was working. The AC was not as cold as we would like. The safe did not open on 2 occasions and was repaired promptly. The folding door in front of the Jacuzzi was difficult to open and close. I called the operator about the problem. I think it was repaired but did not use it anymore during our stay. There is another door by the Jacuzzi you can access the patio. BE CAREFUL, the door locks behind you if closed. It has a key lock and there is no way to unlock it. If you use that door to get to the patio, and the door is closed, and the patio door is locked, YOU ARE STUCK, LOCKED OUT OF YOUR ROOM ON THE PATIO. I would suggest when you are in the room to unlock the sliding patio door. The power went off while we were in the room several times for about 30 seconds.

POOL: The pool was the largest we have ever seen. Two water falls you can go under, a fountain and a bridge to walk over. Lots of chairs to choose from. Of course there were those people who have to save a chair at daybreak in the shade. There were blue rafts you could hang on to and float around the pool. The pool was very clean and the workers were out everyday cleaning it. Two pool bars to choose from. The bartenders were excellent. You can also order drinks and some food from the servers around the pool.

TOWELS: No towel cards at this resort. Towels were abundant and they were constantly picking them up and washing them. We never had a problem with towels.

BEACH: The beach was very nice with lots of chairs. The sand is like powder and is soft so it is not that great for walking on. The water in front of the resort has rocks and swimming there is not allowed. Just to the north there is a large roped off swimming area. It has mostly a sandy bottom and great for wading in. The surf was mostly rough during our stay. There were 2 days the surf was calm. You can also order drinks and some food from the servers around the beach. There are a few vendors on the beach selling things. There is a wood walkway to the beach. On a sunny day be careful the wood gets very HOT and you can not walk on it with bare feet.

INSECTS: Barely any insects to speak of. No bees at any of the bars. Pretty amazing for a tropical setting.

RESTAURANTS: All the food was excellent. Le Marche' Buffet was great for breakfast and lunch. Mar and Tierra at the beach has a continental breakfast and 10 am, and serves lunch and dinner. Both restaurants are under the same roof. They offer Steak, Seafood, and Lobster Pot but not all are open at the same time. At lunch the choice is Steak or Seafood. At dinner there could be several choices, Steak & Seafood, Steak & Lobster Pot, Seafood & Lobster Pot. The lobster pot has great lobster tail served several ways. Steak has a variety of steaks and the only place you can get a baked potato. There is NO STEAK SAUCE at the resort. L'Alsace the French restaurant was fabulous. Ask for Luiz to serve you, he was great. Chateaubriand was out of this world. We ate at the L'Alsace twice and it was terrific. The rolls with bacon and cheese, Yum Yum. Ginger the Japanese restaurant was good. There is NO SAKI at the Japanese restaurant. The La Hacienda the Mexican restaurant we did not try. The II Olivo the Italian restaurant we did not try. We had room service for dinner two times and it was delivered fast and the food was great.

RESORT: The resort is huge. The entrance from the highway to the resort is at least 1 mile. The grounds on the way to the resort are very well maintained. All areas of the resort were very clean. Being new they are still working on the landscaping throughout the resort.

WEATHER: The weather was fantastic. 90 degrees every day, some sunny and some partly cloudy. It rained one morning from 3 am to 8 am. There was no more rain during our stay.

BUSINESS CENTER: The Business Center had 3 computers you could use to access the internet, at no charge. The hours were 7 am to 11 pm. Some of the symbols on the keyboards are different from those in the US. You have to experiment with them to find what you need.

CELL PHONES: We have Verizon phones and they worked fine. Dial 001 area code and number. Verizon suggests you get the phone setup for international calling. There is no charge.

RETURN TO CANCUN AIRPORT: I called the bellhop to pickup our luggage, He arrived promptly. We were transported back to the airport via a large bus. The bus made 2 stops at other resorts on the way. It was nice to see other resorts.

CHECK IN AT USA 3000: It started off very smooth. Then we were advised that we were allowed only 1 checked piece of luggage per person. I was sent across the terminal to another USA 3000 counter where I was to pay $25.00 USD for each extra piece of luggage. My wife is waiting at the check in counter while I am paying for the luggage. Why don't they take your money at the check in counter????? I had to return to the check in counter and show the receipt before the luggage was checked in. Poor, poor service USA 3000!

FLIGHT AND ARRIVAL TO O'HARE IN CHICAGO, IL: The flight was fine. Getting through customs and luggage pick up was very smooth. The fastest we have ever had at the O'Hare International Terminal.

SUMMARY: Valentin Imperial Maya is a very beautiful resort. The workers really make this resort great. If you like an oceanfront room, request a 2nd floor room in Towers 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. Read the reviews to determine if this is the resort for you. Try it you will not be disappointed.
If you have any questions Email me at blue_eyes1952@yahoo.com.

• Liked — Just about everything
  • Disliked — Air Conditioning Not Cold
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
18 Thank blue_eyes1952
Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2008

There are many great things about this resort, foremost being the stunning facilities and exceptional service. Every single staff member we encountered was super helpful and friendly. The grounds are immaculately kept, and everything is squeaky clean. Even the public bathrooms are to be admired!

The only things that weren't quite 5 star (in my humble opinion) were the food and the entertainment. Don't get me wrong, the food was good to very good and it was always beautifully presented, but I would not say that it was exceptional. Our favorite restaurants were Ginger and the new Thai restaurant (I can't remember its name). I had lobster several times during our stay and it was delicious (New Englanders may be disappointed with the size - we're spoilt!). The only thing is that the Lobster Pot restaurant doesn't serve anything but seafood, and so my husband had to sit there and watch me while I ate...at least he could drink!

Room service is wonderful in the morning (the only time we had it), and since we were upgraded to an ocean view room, it was so peaceful and relaxing to sit and eat on the patio.

Entertainment wise, the shows were a little hokey. The Michael Jackson show was good (if you like his music), and the fire show was good too - I actually liked it mostly because we got to meet other guests and chat with them (they do the show at the pool and seat you in groups for dinner). We didn't get to see the circus show - we were too exhausted from the tour we went on (see my review of Edventures - awesome!)

The daily activities we really enjoyed were the dance classes and making guacamole. I would have loved to do the kitchen tour and some others (like the cocktail class), but we missed some and others seemed to be canceled. (I must say that the entertainment staff are very nice and are a lot of fun.)

The main pool at the Valentin Maya is stunning and a wonderful place to hang out. The beach was always warm but breezy (which was nice - not too hot). The waves are moderate to quite big...it's definitely not 'like a swimming pool'! We split our time between the beach and pool which was perfect.

All in all we had a wonderful vacation. It's a great place to go if your main objective is to relax. If you want to do more than that, be prepared to spend quite a bit of money. No snorkeling trips, sunset cruises or other activities are included (as they were at the other all-inclusive we stayed at) and transportation from and to the airport is on your dime (we used prisma transfers, booked through [--], who were really good). Trips to Playa del Carmen cost $15 round trip p.p. but at least six people need to sign up from the hotel (on the day we wanted to go, no one else signed up). A cab will cost about $44 round trip.

Also, be prepared to tip...from what we understand, most service staff in Mexico get paid a very measly wage, and we felt bad not tipping. Over the course of a week, we probably spent $120 on this.

One last piece of advice, make sure you bring extra sun block - unless you are already well tanned, you WILL need a high SPF - take it from sunburned me (and I used SPF 40)! It's expensive to buy in the gift shop. Also, and this one's for the ladies... bring conditioner! After a day at the beach, the 'conditioning shampoo' provided by the resort left my hair looking like a rat's nest! (So I bought a small bottle at the gift shop for $5.50)

I hope this helps you make a more informed decision about your precious vacation. The candid information on Tripadvisor has been very valuable to me...hopefully I have 'paid it forward'.

• Liked — service, beauty, cleanliness
  • Disliked — short periods without water (in shower and public bathroom)
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Mpdgb
toledo, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2008

Like many people we read the reviews before we left and all
I can say is that we had the best time. From the time we arrived
til the time we left we were pampered and the service was
outstanding. We went for our 30th anniversary and found that
we love the all adult aspect of the Valentine. We did room service
on several occasions and found it to be the best and the restaurants (esp. the Italien and french) were to die for. The
fact that they are air conditioned a plus and the personal service
was a wonderful touch.

The beach was great especially for walking. The pool the largest I've ever seen and plenty of places to lounge. I would
return in a heartbeat!!

• Liked — Great Staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OHBeachcomber
Uxbridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2008

My daughter and I spent a week in April at the Valentin Imperial and loved the resort. The resort, accommodations, restaurants were perfect just what we expected. The food was always delicious and the service attentive. We went to every restaurant for dinner and never waited more than 20 minutes to be seated. The breakfast buffet was really good, lots of choices and quality foods.
The pool is enormous but we spent most of our time on the beach. Unfortunately to get an umbrella you had to be up pretty early (people like to save chairs in the shade, chairs in the sun and chairs at the pool). The beach was great but only half was swimable.
The resort (adults only) was very quiet which we appreciated but younger people might like a little more action.
If possible I will return in Jan/Feb with my husband.

5 Thank sharonUx
columbia, sc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2008

We had heard mixed reviews as well but were pleasantly surprised with our first resort experience. We had nothing to compare this resort to but found the overall experience to be very good and although the following review has some negative remarks, we felt the good outweighed the bad but felt the need to state the things we thought could use some improvement.
We were greeted with cool towels and champagne and check in was a breeze. We were upgraded to a beautiful oceanfront room in building 12 and couldn't be happier with the accommodations.
We made it to each restaurant once. We found the food mediocre and same with the service although we got especially good service at the Japanese and Mexican restaurants. We did not find that the wait staff wanted to accommodate meal selections the way we were used to on cruises as far as asking for a dinner selection as an appetizer (such as a salad) or making any changes to the meal itself and the place was a ghost town all week. This of course didn't ruin our experience but didn't add to it either. We did tip the wait staff at all restaurants for just keeping our water glasses filled because there were some instances where the wait staff was completely oblivious to our presence. Service was just not consistent.
The resort was empty when we arrived May 6th so we had no problem with finding a chair at the pool or a seat in any restaurant. We LOVED the pool and the staff was extremely attentive in offering drinks throughout the day and bringing us water. The only thing that was frustrating was that you couldn't get food around the pool except chips and cheese and occasionally popcorn if they hadn't run out , but on two separate occasions, they were out before 3pm. I would have liked to have been able to get something to eat rather than getting dressed and leaving the pool to go get lunch. This kind of surprised us for an all inclusive. There was no lack of clean towels or staff to assist you at the pool.
We participated in a few activities including riflery, casino night, and kayaking. We thought the activity staff was excellent!
The Michael Jackson and Grease shows were good and we enjoyed the music and dancing. The circus was entertaining but nothing to write home about . The Mayan show was excellent and the costumes and makeup were amazing!!
The concierges and administrative staff were excellent and always friendly. We had mixed reviews when it came to the bell boy service. We had some that went out of their way to assist us and others that appeared to be bothered to help us at all and a few that make it obvious that they were looking for a tip for their giving us a ride. We did tip when we didn't feel like it was expected.
Overall, the experience was relaxing and the grounds and accommodations at the VI were beautiful. We enjoyed it very much and recommend it to others although we would like to try a more established resort and hope that we get more consistent service.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank stef419
Richmond, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2008

We just returned from a week at the Valetin. Overall, we had a good vacation, but would not return here. It's generally a nice place, but wasn't everything we were looking for. Here is a summary of our experience.
What we LIKED:
- The Service was incredible, best service and staff I've ever encountered at a resort. Didn't matter if you tipped or not, or if you were just walking around - very friendly
- The Pool - wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Always plenty of seating, both shaded and sunny, plenty of floats, two bars and lots of room to roam, sit, swim and splash. I had never been in a saltwater pool before - really liked it.
- The Grounds - The landscaping is lovely, nice architecture, wide pathways and good signage. This is a pretty large resort. We were in building 10, which was pretty much on the outer edge, so we did have to walk a bit to get places, and a few more shaded walkway would have been nice.
- Most of the Room - quite nice (although you'll note things we both liked and disliked). Large, plenty of space for your stuff, large bathroom area, good bed.
What we DID NOT LIKE:
- The Food - if you consider yourself a foodie at all, and look forward to good food as a part of your vacation, you will be very disappointed. If you like watered down, bland food, then maybe you'll be okay. While there was a great variety of places (at least for dinner) and the menus looked enticing, the food varied from just okay to inedible. The lunch buffet was hideous. "Best" dinner we had was the Steakhouse, worst was probably the Seafood.
- Elements of the Room - We were "upgraded" to an ocean front golden suite, which had a nice patio, but no real view of the ocean due trees and plants that blocked the view. The air-conditioning took awhile to get cranked up, so the room was not often cool, although it would get comfortable at some point. Also, our ceiling fan did not work, and maintenance was unable to fix it - that would have been nice to have. Tried to use the jacuzzi, but it blew a circuit and we had no power for 30 minutes.
- The Bars - all but one were inside, but the a/c wasn't strong enough so they were hot; there were no casual evening bars, and I would have liked to have had food served at the bars for a casual dining option.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
7 Thank KristinO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Secreto
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#56 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,846 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,874 reviews
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#33 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,977 reviews

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!