“Gorgeous resort- Great choice!”

Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We returned from our stay at VIM a few weeks ago. We went with friends, another couple. We are in our mid 30’s to early 40’s. To give you an idea of what perspective this review is coming from, we have been to a Secrets resort in Mexico and a Eden Resort in Punta Cana. We have been doing cruises for past few years (7 to be exact) and really enjoyed our land/all inclusive vacation!

I want to start saying something about the building locations and our room. We stayed in building 4. I had wanted building 5 and 3rd floor with King bed. We got building 4, 2nd floor with a King bed. I was so worried about getting double beds so we called and emailed prior to getting there. Building 4 has a good location if you want to be by pool. It is a 5 min walk to beach. And a few minutes to restaurants. We almost upgraded to building 14 when we got there but didn’t. Building 4 ended up being a pretty good location. Resort IS very spread out- but they have guys driving golf carts that can pick you up if needed. If you are thinking of getting a golden room I think its totally worth it. It would have been about $90 total for the upgrade, and kind of wish we had. I think the rooms are nicer and views are better. If I had my pick id go with building 6 or 7.

Things we like about VIM:

THE POOL- OMG it's amazing. Usually we are strictly beach people on vacation but this pool is to die for. It is awesome. They have a little step down that has a few inches of water before the pool and they have chairs there. Love it! I love the swim up bars and rafts they give you to lay on or use as a floating table for your drinks. They have some semi and some completely shaded areas. I think they need to buy more rafts though and some seem a little worn out.

Staff- WOW it really leaves a great impression. We gave our maid some things from home we brought for her and her kids along with some money ($20). She actually cried when my husband gave it to her. He grew up in Mexico and knows how much they appreciate anything given to them and boy did she. She was so sweet and very thankful. She said she earns about $20 per week in her salary so imagine someone giving you one week paycheck as a tip.
Beautiful grounds that are really well kept! The landscaping foliage and resort is gorgeous.

The Food is really good for a resort in Mexico. I loved loved the made to order crepes in the AM. Most places have omelets but never crepes and since I don’t eat omelets….. this was awesome. Everyone loved their dinners, except for the seafood restaurant wasn't a great experience at all. We each actually had a different favorite restaurant and food item so it is all completely personal opinion. Just because i say the food is good or bad doesn't mean you will like it or dislike it. if you can't find something here to eat that you like, what do you eat at home ?? Make sure you eat the fresh MANGO. so so good and im not usually a mango person but tastes completely different in Mexico. so good!

No bracelets- We have stayed at both bracelet and non-bracelet resorts. It feels so cheesy to be wearing them all week….this is a big plus

Other things to note- saxophone player at breakfast really nice, location is great (directly between Playa and Cancun), the sushi bar was great, onsite photographer to do a session around the resort for free and then you pay per photo…. Really nice option for guests.

Negatives (for us)
The beach is beautiful but felt almost too big. The beach bar was so far from our chairs and while I love the beach walking in the sand back and forth isn’t that fun. And the saving a beach palapa so early. While I know this goes on in many resorts, its kind of annoying.
No ocean view rooms, not even pool view rooms. If this is important to you I don’t know if this is your best choice of resort. Although it might not be as important as you think I mean you aren’t in your room much anyway.

The rooms are nice, but I feel a slight bit out dated. They don’t feel new or scream “luxury” to me, but we only had a Jr Deluxe suite…..maybe the upgraded rooms gave more of a WOW factor.....but we were hardly in room so not a big deal for us. The bathroom was super nice though I have to say.

Wifi only in pool or lobby- it would have been nice to have wifi in more areas of the hotel which I understand they are working on getting.

No hot tubs. I love sitting in a hot tub on vacation…..no luck doing that here as they don’t have them

No buffet at night, A small negative, although most people prefer sit down restaurants it would have been nice to have the quick buffet option.

Overall there are negatives, but honestly the positives outweigh them by a lot! I do and have recommended the resort to friends. I actually have a friend going next month and I told her she will love it! The only thing that would deter me from going back are the negatives I mentioned about the beach and the fact that we might want to try another resort just for something different. Although this is by far the best area (Riviera maya) to do an AI
I'd be happy to answer any questions, especially about room location since there were some people that were helpful on here with my trip planning.....just message me!

2  Thank EMarie
F T, Subdirector at Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear recent VIM guests from Naperville, Illinois

We are grateful for your positive review published on Trip Advisor, It is really important to us to receive positive feedback as yours, and we are glad to know that we exceeded most of your expectations during your recent stay at Valentin Imperial Maya.

Thank you also for your suggestions, they give us the opportunity to know which services and facilities we can improve.

Regarding the Wi-Fi connection, we would like to confirm that at the moment we do have Wi-Fi in the lobby and round the main pool but we are working very hard in order to improve that service and offer it in the all resort in a very near future.

We also have carefully reviewed the information you mentioned above and regarding the buffet restaurant for the dinner , we have taken your observation up with our food & beverage manager and we confirm you that we are seriously planning to have one and also more thematic buffet dinner in a very near future.

Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at any time.

Warm regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (12,268)

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I only have the Exellence Riviera Maya to compare to, but this is fine establishment. Excellent food across the board. Good higher shelf booze available upon request of course. What keeps it from a five star was cold pool and a little spotty service from time to time. Make sure to get out early to get pool chair. Unlike most on here, French restaurant was not our favorite.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bobsakamano

Dear recent VIM guests from Chicago, IL

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments and for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We would like to express our deepest gratitude for your feedback and suggestions as they are very valuable to us.

We would be more than happy to welcome you back for a second holiday in our resort.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed April 28, 2013

the resort was beautiful and we loved to walk, so that was good.
Beach was beautiful and perfect hot weather for it.
Great.
But by the 3rd day we could tell many foods were hard and re-used.
Dinner was Nasty! Fillet mignon at one restaurant was so chewy and fatty a knife failed to cut it!
Chicken was NEVER chicken breast but legs and thighs. . We could say that they most likely got it early in the week, but by later in the week chicken, fish and food on buffets were old and put out time and time again!! my wife and I stopped eating everything but some bread, yogurt and cereal in boxes. .
Horrible.
later in the trip we had to sit still because we worried about trying to live on tiny amounts of food til we could leave.
Yes it was a beautiful place with great service, beach and pool, food is to die of.
sorry but that is the truth!
read the real reviews!

• Stayed: April 2013
6  Thank lowval
F T, Subdirector at Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear recent VIM guests ,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Valentin imperial maya.
We are very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations and would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay.

It is disappointing to learn that you are not satisfied with our food; since the great majority of our guests like our wide gastronomic offer. We just want to confirm an important point concerning our food safety perspective. Our main priority is to guarantee the security and hygiene in the hotel, with the support of the Cristal program, which was developed by the travel and tourism industry. This program has extremely high standards in regards to security and hygiene which meet the national and international laws on security and hygiene. It is revised every week by external auditors, whom in case they detected some serious anomaly, would react and inform the hotel management immediately. We would also like to confirm that we do not re-use food as you mentioned above.

It is a shame we were not able to satisfy your needs and we would love to have another opportunity to host you again at Valentin Imperial Maya.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 weeks at the VIM. April 7 to the 21. In the past we had stayed at the Iberastar, Excellence, and the Barcelo. All paled in comparison to the VIM.
We originally booked booked a deluxe junior suit but after one night opted for a golden swim out suit. We believe the upgrade was well worth the extra charge. The bedroom and bathroom were both bigger with an additional sitting area to read or watch TV. Another nice amenity were the lounge chairs in front of each swim out room.Perfect for catching some sun without having to search for an unoccupied space.
We agree with most of the other reviews that the food here is amazing. Out favorites were Ginger and La Hacienda. For breakfast We went to La Marche and always asked to be seated with Elsie because of her great service. Ask her about her 'special coffee", you won't be disappointed. The bar service is also excellent. Beatrice our server and Maguel our bartender always made sure our drinks were cold and plentiful.
So the bottom line for us was not the beautiful landscaping, the scenic beaches, the wonderful food, or the serine atmosphere, but the people. From the bell boys when you are first greeted to the gardeners working diligently to maintain paradise. Everyone is happy and welcoming. What a great place to vacation.

Room Tip: Look for shortcuts from building 7 to the main pool and buffet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank James M

Dear VIM Guest from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the Trip advisor community; it was a pleasure to read your review and we are sure this has helped many travelers confirm that the Valentin Imperial Maya Resort is the perfect hotel for their vacation.

We are pleased that you loved it here; we will share your positive comments with our staff; it encourages them to continue working hard.

Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at any time.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Valetine Imperial Maya is the finest resort that we have ever stayed in, and we have traveled extensively .
Where do I start? First of all the staff were all excellent, friendly and very competent at their respective jobs, from the front desk to the restaurant waiters, table attendants, cooks & hostesses, all first class service. Then the housekeeping staff were all very, very good. Also the good people that worked in the pool areas , all great. Even the groundskeepers who were also very nice and had a smile for us at all times. Then the bellhop crew, and transportation workers who drove us around the resort when we chose to use that service, all friendly people and very good at their jobs.
I would like to point out a couple of people who were extra special for us, we had a table attendant in the buffet restaurant, Le Marche, his name was Jose Luis, he was just so friendly and waited on our every need, we ended up asking to sit in his section every time we ate there for breakfast and lunch, just a great guy. There was also a waiter in L'Olivo named Armando, he is a first class waiter, as good of a waiter as I have ever had, anywhere, as a matter of fact we ate there twice during the week and had Armando as our waiter both times. Those two people deserve special commendation from your resort , they helped to make a great trip even better.

Room Tip: I would say that people should try to get a room in the Golden section, unless of course they like t...
3  Thank Robert N
F T, Subdirector at Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear VIM Guest from Chicago,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Valentin Imperial Maya.
We have shared your positive comments with Jose Luis and Armando and have congratulated both of them for a job well done.

We are glad that you received attentive service since we strive to provide every guest with an enjoyable experience.

We look forward to your next visit to our hotel. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

This was our 3rd time back and it was amazing. Not to much walking to get to places but enough to walk off the wonderful food every day! Don't bother with the negative reviews.... Some people just are hard to please. Your on vacation and enjoy yourself. And I know you will. One new thing we found was the beach bar was open till 11 and a great place to hangout at night! Can't wait till next year when we go back!

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank sdemarse

Dear VIM Guest from Pascoag, Rhode Island.

Thank you for the positives comments you have published on Trip Advisor about your recent vacation.

Your satisfaction is our reward; we really appreciate you taking the time to let us know we are providing a good service.

We will share your comments with our staff, positive feedbacks as yours encourages us to work harder to offer good service every day.

It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back for your fourth visit at Valentin Imperial Maya.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 28, 2013

The best all-inclusive resort we've been too. The resort is absolutely beautiful. We stayed in building 4 (great location) no upgrade necessary since we spent most of the time either at the beach or at the La Terreza. The room was very clean and comfortable. It was exactly how it appeared on their website. The beach is beautiful. Lots of waves! You can either have your drinks delivered or have a refreshment at Bar Sunrise. Always amble bottled water on hand. The food was delicious, we never waited to be seated. The breakfast and lunch buffets have something for everyone. The staff, I can't say enough good things about them. They're so helpful and gracious. When you're at a resort that is managed so well, all the guests are happy and everyone has a good time. We're already planning our next trip here with our family. Thanks to Trips by Jennie for a great vacation.

2  Thank Steve L

Dear VIM Guest from Silver Spring, Maryland.

What a great pleasure is to read such wonderful comments; it’s our pleasure to see that you had a wonderful stay with us!

Thank you for such a wonderful reviewing detailing your vacation experience. Your kind words mean more than you know and your feedback has been displayed in the hotel for all our staff to see.

It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back for your 2nd visit at Valentin Imperial Maya.

Best Regards,

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#21 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#31 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!