We returned from our stay at VIM a few weeks ago. We went with friends, another couple. We are in our mid 30’s to early 40’s. To give you an idea of what perspective this review is coming from, we have been to a Secrets resort in Mexico and a Eden Resort in Punta Cana. We have been doing cruises for past few years (7 to be exact) and really enjoyed our land/all inclusive vacation!
I want to start saying something about the building locations and our room. We stayed in building 4. I had wanted building 5 and 3rd floor with King bed. We got building 4, 2nd floor with a King bed. I was so worried about getting double beds so we called and emailed prior to getting there. Building 4 has a good location if you want to be by pool. It is a 5 min walk to beach. And a few minutes to restaurants. We almost upgraded to building 14 when we got there but didn’t. Building 4 ended up being a pretty good location. Resort IS very spread out- but they have guys driving golf carts that can pick you up if needed. If you are thinking of getting a golden room I think its totally worth it. It would have been about $90 total for the upgrade, and kind of wish we had. I think the rooms are nicer and views are better. If I had my pick id go with building 6 or 7.
Things we like about VIM:
THE POOL- OMG it's amazing. Usually we are strictly beach people on vacation but this pool is to die for. It is awesome. They have a little step down that has a few inches of water before the pool and they have chairs there. Love it! I love the swim up bars and rafts they give you to lay on or use as a floating table for your drinks. They have some semi and some completely shaded areas. I think they need to buy more rafts though and some seem a little worn out.
Staff- WOW it really leaves a great impression. We gave our maid some things from home we brought for her and her kids along with some money ($20). She actually cried when my husband gave it to her. He grew up in Mexico and knows how much they appreciate anything given to them and boy did she. She was so sweet and very thankful. She said she earns about $20 per week in her salary so imagine someone giving you one week paycheck as a tip.
Beautiful grounds that are really well kept! The landscaping foliage and resort is gorgeous.
The Food is really good for a resort in Mexico. I loved loved the made to order crepes in the AM. Most places have omelets but never crepes and since I don’t eat omelets….. this was awesome. Everyone loved their dinners, except for the seafood restaurant wasn't a great experience at all. We each actually had a different favorite restaurant and food item so it is all completely personal opinion. Just because i say the food is good or bad doesn't mean you will like it or dislike it. if you can't find something here to eat that you like, what do you eat at home ?? Make sure you eat the fresh MANGO. so so good and im not usually a mango person but tastes completely different in Mexico. so good!
No bracelets- We have stayed at both bracelet and non-bracelet resorts. It feels so cheesy to be wearing them all week….this is a big plus
Other things to note- saxophone player at breakfast really nice, location is great (directly between Playa and Cancun), the sushi bar was great, onsite photographer to do a session around the resort for free and then you pay per photo…. Really nice option for guests.
Negatives (for us)
The beach is beautiful but felt almost too big. The beach bar was so far from our chairs and while I love the beach walking in the sand back and forth isn’t that fun. And the saving a beach palapa so early. While I know this goes on in many resorts, its kind of annoying.
No ocean view rooms, not even pool view rooms. If this is important to you I don’t know if this is your best choice of resort. Although it might not be as important as you think I mean you aren’t in your room much anyway.
The rooms are nice, but I feel a slight bit out dated. They don’t feel new or scream “luxury” to me, but we only had a Jr Deluxe suite…..maybe the upgraded rooms gave more of a WOW factor.....but we were hardly in room so not a big deal for us. The bathroom was super nice though I have to say.
Wifi only in pool or lobby- it would have been nice to have wifi in more areas of the hotel which I understand they are working on getting.
No hot tubs. I love sitting in a hot tub on vacation…..no luck doing that here as they don’t have them
No buffet at night, A small negative, although most people prefer sit down restaurants it would have been nice to have the quick buffet option.
Overall there are negatives, but honestly the positives outweigh them by a lot! I do and have recommended the resort to friends. I actually have a friend going next month and I told her she will love it! The only thing that would deter me from going back are the negatives I mentioned about the beach and the fact that we might want to try another resort just for something different. Although this is by far the best area (Riviera maya) to do an AI
I'd be happy to answer any questions, especially about room location since there were some people that were helpful on here with my trip planning.....just message me!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Valentin Imperial Maya is the new definition of paradise. Our 5 star Adults-Only (18+) All-Inclusive Resort is located a short 25 minutes from Cancun International Airport in the Riviera Maya. Set amid lavish gardens on a half-mile-long stretch of white sand beach named Playa Del Secreto (The Secret Beach), this magnificent award-winning resort boasts one of the largest swimming pools in Mexico. The location is ideal as one can easily reach Cancun and the world famous Mayan archaeological sites such as Tulum, Coba, and Chichen Itza, yet be removed enough to enjoy the casually elegant ambience of Valentin Imperial Maya. Escape into a world where your every wish is our command. Come indulge yourself....You deserve it! Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel & Spa is committed to preserve the environment by reducing the consumption of natural resources, promoting among our guests and staff, protection and respect for the environment through good environmental practices. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya Mexico