“Almost perfect”

Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Reviewed April 11, 2008

I stayed at the Valentin from march 10-17th. The hotel had a lot of people but a lot of privacy if you needed it. I am a 26 year old that went only with my wife. We have been to quite a few all inclusives in mexico and Jamaica and have crusied to numerous destinations and taken trips to a few other caribbean islands. We went to the Excellence Riviera Maya for our wedding moon and use that as a comparison for everything. This resort is good but if the price is similar the Excellence is the best. This resort needs some improvement but is great. So here is my review.
I noticed complaints about the night life so I will start there. The night life was pretty much done by 10-11pm and not extravagent but I have never been to a resort where it is crazy. Although you can still drink at the sports bar till 2 am That is what Cancun and Playa are for. There were shows every night that were pretty good (especially the fire show) and live music along with the sports bar. (which had very few people while we were there.)
There were a lot of activities and the staff is excellent with them. Oscar is an awesome host. My wife and I played beach volleyball, had a kayak race in the pool, went to cocktail lessons, dance lessons, and played some trivia games in the pool with alcohol punishment for wrong anwsers. The only thing we were upset about is that the hotel advertises they do water volleyball and even has it on the schedule every day but they do not have a net to play. I know this may sound stupid but me and my wife wanted to make sure we went somewhere that had this and were a little upset when it turned out they did not. Anyway, the activities were funa dn the pool was so big that if you want nothing to do with them and want peace and quiet you can easily get it. Also the staff by the pool was great. They came around with snacks and even took orders for snacks if you did not want to go to lunch.
As for the beach. The beach is big and the water is very nice. If you can handle the Jersey shore this is nothing. If you are looking for perfectly still waters or very little waves remember this is mexico and it is on the side of the atlantic. There are waves and it can get rough. If you want those still waters go to Aruba not mexico. As for this resorts beach. The water was one of the best we have seen in mexico... my wife who hates the waves went in for quite a bit. The beach does have a lot of twigs and stuff on it. I and a few others found out diving in beach volleyball can hurt.
The food at this hotel was excellent. The only thing they are missing is a lunch buffet for those who dont feel like throwing a shirt and shoes and being dined on for lunch. (like a beach buffet). Otherwise the food is awesome... especially the mexican lobster at the mexican restaurant. Also there is hibachi if you request it. They call it something else but they do a ton of extra cool stuff that the places in the states dont do (same show everywhere but here). Also beware of Pablo in the Japanese restaurant. He makes it extremely difficult to get the the bottom of your wine or beer glass and my wife and I were hammered twice thanks to him. (thanks Pablo)
The rooms are amazing. The bed was huge with an awesome bathroom. We had a swim up room and I dont believe it was worth it. The other rooms were so great and the swim up was not that special. We stayed in a swim up at the excellence and it was a much better, was attached to the main pool, was heated, and had an ocean view. It was not as good for the price here. We were asked if we wanted an upgrade to oceanfront when we checked in and we declined. It was probably a good thing because the walk to the pool would be longer and the beach is nicer away from the beachfront rooms.Also they seemed to upgrade quite a few people so if you don't really want to spend the extra $$$ and you are landing at a decent time they may upgrade you.. We did not get offered the champagne but my wife asked and they brought some for us. I will say that because they are new they are quite disorganized for check in. Since we were early they put our bags aside and when we came back later got confused and had us wait 35 minutes for a cart to bring our bags to the room (however they onyl brought us). The maid service was great and we got turn down every day. We tipped the maid $2 a day instead of at the end maybe this is why we got it while others complained they did not.
As for tipping on the whole we brough $120 for 7nights/8days and tipped a little each meal. They appreciate and deserve the tips so even tho it is not necessary I always do. I know some people complained about the maid service and others service. Just remember a small tip goes a long way. Also the service was only slow at the outdoor dinner restaurant and that was because the had a small power outage. Otherwise it was quick. (remember you are on mexican time and vacation so the service is a little slower than the states but that is all over the caribbean and mexico... however it was quite quick here).
Overall this hotel is a great adults only all inclusive. It is not couples only which is good for groups. It is new some there are some things to work on. The pool is not heated so I think november to mrach are tough. The water is kinda cold in the morning and warms up later. (Excellence and many others had heater pools). The staff is great. (especially Oscar and Pablo). Everyone there tries very hard to make your stay nice. The grounds are nice (will look awesome when all grown in). The drinks are good (has more than cheap alcohol and no upcharges like some places) The no reservation restaurants are great. (like the excellence) It is better than getting up at 6 am to decide a time and place for dinner. This place has a lot to offer and I would return. For those of you worried about whether it is 5 star or not. It is not quite 5 star. Especially if you want a great spa (go to the excellence... they only have outdoor massages and no spa at the valentin and the excellence has the best there is) In fact it is not rated five star so a review beating this place up over that is unnecessary. If you want a 5 star place go to the excellence. It is all couples, honeymooners, and anniversaries. If you want a fun place that is all types of adults only (families with adult kids, friends,etc...), affordable, great service, and good enough to someday be 5 star this is it. I would return to this place if the price stay affordable. If you are like me you base your decision on tripadvisor reviews. Notice this place is 11 of 154 it was 25 in march and may soon be top 5 when these good reviews keep coming in. Also, this hotel has not been found by many americans. The resort was mostly French and Canadian vacationers but there were Americans too. It is a hidden gem for Americans (and a known thing to others)
Shout outs to all the fun people we met. Cowboy, Tony Soprano, Buffalo(4), etc... from Baby(2).

6  Thank Bryce1106
Write a ReviewReviews (12,264)

Reviewed April 11, 2008

Kind of funny how one person's experience can rate this as a 1 out of 5 and for the next person it's a 5 out of 5. We were lucky to be the latter. Not sure if we may have lower expectations then some folks who gave reviews? We tend not to be complainers and go with the flow, but we do have realistic expectations when booking a 5 star luxury hotel. All I can say was this was an absolutely fantastic 1 week experience.
We were at the Valentin Imperial Maya from March 14 - 21st. I'm not going to repeat everything that's already outlined in so many reviews, but to sum it up we felt like we were treated like royalty. I had read all the tripadvisor reviews prior to our depature so I new this was a brand new resort, I knew the grounds and landscaping we not mature yet, and knew to expect a few kinks that still needed to be worked out. There were no kinks (at least from our experience). Our trip could not have gone smoother.... from our arrival to towels and champagne at 8:30 in the morning getting off the bus, to getting to check in our room earlier than expected (at noon) and being upgraded to a wonderful Golden Deluxe Suite. We were thrilled. The service was fabulous, everyone worked so hard and were so friendly. We thoroughly enjoyed the food at all of the restaurants. The ambiance of the whole place was perfect. Definitely the place for a relaxing, quiet, perhaps romantic get away. The resort was at 98% capacity the day we arrived and you would never know it. Many nights we found ourselves to be the only couple in a bar or lounge prior to dinner (there's so many options to choose from). One note, this is NOT the spot for singles looking to party it up....which was great for us as we were looking to stay away from the party scene. The classiness of the place was a real treat. Wouldn't hesitate for a second to go back. Would love to return in a couple of years to see it when all the landscaping has grown in. But I'm sure we will not be able to afford this resort by then as I doubt they will be offering the type of rates we got it for!

18  Thank calgaryconnection
Reviewed April 9, 2008

Well, let me start out by saying I do not have lofty expectations, however water and air are 2 of them. We started out in tower 4 and were moved to tower 10 since it was our honeymoon. We were told it would be a free upgrade and then they wanted us to pay for it. Not happy. Our new room was awesome. It had a huge marble jacuzzi with glass doors facing the ocean. Not ocean view- too many pals trees. The beds were super comfy. King size as well. Soon after we settled into our new room- we had no water. We waited for a while and then started calling the front desk. We were told everything from it had already been fixed to ... maybe tomorrow. No straight answers. It was finally fixed about 7-8 hours later. Then.... NO AIR!!!! At this point we were more than aggravated!!!! OK- 89 degrees and NO air. We started calling again and received the same runaround. Nobody knew why, didn't know how to fix it, etc,,, We called the supervisor to get a straight answer and she sent someone right away to check out A/C unit. Well, of course, there was nothing wrong with our unit and nothing was changed. At this point it is extremely HOT in the room and we were miserable. It's very hard to sleep when it's that hot. We called again and were finally told it was a resort wide issue and maybe it would be fixed the next day. Are you kidding? No, they were not. We had no air for long after 24 hours. When asked how they planned on compensating us for no A/C or water we were basically told " we will see" Which meant too bad for you! On a more positive note- the food was great. Plenty of options, strict dress code though. Some places had different dress codes than others. A little hard to keep straight at times. The resort property was pretty and very quiet. In a nutshell- nice place- many issues- we will not go back.

9  Thank Afloyd3013
Reviewed April 9, 2008

Apple vacations was our travel booker. We have alot to say about apple but the resort was very nice. However, when we arrived they took us to our room in a free shuttle and talked about how it was available to take you around the resort. However, next day with sore feet, we called for the shuttle and it never showed up. Basically if you were not leaving or coming to the hotel the shutlle did not operate for you.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank j5fam
Reviewed April 8, 2008

My husband and I just got back from the Valentin - we stayed from Saturday March 29 to Saturday April 5th. I didn't contribute much to TA before we left on our trip, but used TA quite extensively before our trip to research everything related to the Valentin. I found the information on this site extremely useful, and hope that my own review is useful and fair.

We booked our trip through Sunwing who chartered Zoom to fly us down from Vancouver, BC, Canada. Zoom had great service, but the baggage limitations were a bit annoying (20 kg per person). I highly recommend flying premium economy, which is an extra $25 per person, per way. The extra leg room is worth it, as well as being able to select your seats ahead of time.

I had arranged for a private transfer with Entertainment Plus ahead of time. I received confirmation emails very quickly once I booked. Once we arrived in Cancun Airport, they were there with a sign once we walked out of the airport, and a car came within 10 min (air conditioned Intrepid).

Once we arrived at the Valentin, my first impression was that this was a lovely resort, with lovely grounds. The resort is set back 1-2 miles from the highway. We had a bellboy waiting for us, with 2 wet hand towels, then another staff member came with 2 glasses of champagne and we were shown to the lobby. Since we arrived around 5pm, the room was ready. We were given room 3124, which is in the building closest to lobby and restaurants. The room had 2 double beds, although I had requested a king. I had also emailed the resort 3 times prior to our arrival and told them we were on our honeymoon and mentioned it again at check-in (also providing them a copy of our marriage certificate as proof), but never received the honeymoon package at all. I guess we could have complained, but my hubbie and I are very laid back, and didn't feel like it. Anyways, back to the room: the washroom was weird - shower took up half the space with no shower curtain or door - was maybe meant for handicapped people? We weren't sure. The room was on the ground floor, and so sitting out on the patio, you could see people walk by but was still private somewhat as there was some foliage and trees blocking the view somewhat. Overall we liked this room but didnt like the 2 beds and asked for a change. We were told we could change the next day.

That night we ate at the italian restaurant - eggplant lasagna and tiramisu. YUM!!! Nightly entertainment was a Mexican theme (mexican buffet set up in the Plaza, with kiosks and a band, etc). We were too tired to enjoy it much, and went to bed early.

On Sunday morning, we changed rooms effortlessly. Remember though that things move a bit more slow in Mexico - i.e. we were told the bellboy would come in 10 minutes but really took him 45 minutes. We also experienced this "Mexican Time" a few more times, but it was never annoying...we just relaxed and waited each time.

We received room 5221 - much better room with better location. Since it was on the 2nd floor, we could see the ocean from balcony and hear the waves. The room had a king sized bed with amazing bathroom. We spent the day at the beach and by the pool. Because of the room change, we got to the beach pretty late, so were able to find chairs in the shade without much effort, and right near the swimming area. At night, we ate at the Mexican restaurant - mole chicken enchiladas and pineapple creme brulee. I would not recommend the enchiladas, but the dessert was amazing. Nightly entertainment included the live band and mayan dancing show.

On Monday we spent the day at the beach and by the pool. We could only find chairs in the sun but it was ok because of constant breeze, and we liked this better than the shade. As for the pool, we never found chairs in the shade exept much later in the day when we didn't need the shade. But we got chairs in the pool, in the shallow water which was wonderful....after that, we always looked for these chairs since it was refreshing to dip your feet while sitting, and can easily get in and out of pool. I saw one guest reserve 2 chairs in this section, and then 2 chairs in the shade right behind which I thought was pretty inconsiderate. If this behavior didn't occur, there would be plenty of chairs in the sun or shade.

Servers come around to take drink orders...sometimes took a while, sometimes came quick. They were always pleasant. One time on the beach we were hungry and apparently pizza and nachos can only be ordered until 3pm (it was around 4) but the server went to the restaurant and got us some nachos....what great service!! This resort had extremely great service I found, and always plenty of staff everywhere.

However, on Monday the water went off at our building and apparently 2 others, in the afternoon/evening for 4-5 hours. Because of this, we couldn't take showers and go out for dinner. We missed the caribbean show and fire show because of this, and just ordered in room service. Room service was pretty good, but the pasta was a bit spicy and the desserts offered didnt match what was on the menu. They offered us chocolate cake, and we received black forest cake instead. Also, we ordered chicken wings and instead got chicken rossini. It worked out because this dish was better than the pasta I had ordered. We went to bed early as we had booked the Coba tour for the next day.

On Tuesday we went to the breakfast buffet which was GREAT and wished we could have woken up earlier to have it more often. Besides this one day, we always ate at the beachfront restaurant for contentenal breakfast which was also good (they had an omellete station there too). The breakfast buffet is better, but ends earlier.

Then we went on Coba tour. It was the tour that never ended....too many activities included, and not enough time at the actual pyramid to climb up and down. One woman collapsed because of the heat. I recommend taking your time, and not to force yourself to climb the whole thing. Also, climbing back down is just as hard as climbing up I found, especially for those of us shorter people (each step is perhaps a foot high). Athletic sandals is fine as well as running shoes (but no flip flops). Expect to walk around 4kms in total. I recommend the pedicabs highly because of the all the walking and climbing, and the heat and humidity. We ate at a Mayan restaurant - it was ok. After that, visited a Mayan Village, handicraft store, jungle walk and went to a ceynote.

We came back to resort, showered and changed and went to the French restaurant. It was very nice inside....and service was amazing (here and Italian was the best service we thought). The onion soup was very good, the chateaubriand was ok, and the crepes suzette were nice. That night watched the live band and braodway show.

Wednesday I was SO sore from the Coba tour and was limping around. We spent the day at the pool and beach. That night we went to Ginger - ate shrimp tempura, curry chicken and amazing dessert (cannot remember the name now, sorry). After, we watched the band and Michael Jackson show (very entertaining!!!).

Thursday I was again so sore. We spent the day at the beach and by the pool. When we went to the beach, the towel guy asked if we wanted shade and I said yes. He spoke in spanish and we didn't understand what was going on. He led us to chairs in the shade, at a prime location near the swimming area and removed towels and a magazine which were on the chairs. We didn't understand what was going on, and couldn't tip him because we didn't have any money on us anyways. We were half expecting angry people to come asking why we were in their chairs, then realzied that the towel guy had reserved the chairs for tips. I'm not sure how fair this is, but at least guests who come to the beach later in the day have the option to approach this man for chairs in the shade. Ironically, we preferred sitting in the sun because the beach was so windy, it was a bit too cool in the shade.

We went to Cancun this afternoon for a few hours....was not really worth it. It cost about $40 each way by taxi. We did some shopping, walked around, checked out the beach and came back to the resort. I was actually really happy to get back to the resort and relax!

We ate the at Mexican restaurant again that night. I had chicken fajitas and a banana pastry dessert. YUM! We had waited 20 min so we could eat out by the fountain (the only time we ever had to wait for a table anywhere). It was amazing to eat out there, and very romantic....great service too considering we came in pretty late. The power went out during our meal, but it was almost funny...not a big deal. Power went out 4 times in total while we were there...but never for more than 5 min. We didn't consider it much of an issue. We watched band that night. The resort tried doing a disco night but everyone left....there is not enough interested people for a nightlife...it's a laid back atmosphere, no party people. People are just there to relax and have a good time. There is a wide age range which is good....mostly couples from early 20s to 70s I would guess. There were also some larger groups of people, and some girlfriend getaway groups.

On Friday we spent the day at the pool and beach. This is the day the water went out for approx 8 hours (from 11am when I was taking a shower - what bad timing) to about 7pm at night. When it came back, there was still no hot water, and the pressure was not full force. It went out again from midnight to 5am. This day I tried not to drink water because the bathrooms were beyond disgusting (and I am not exaggerating....imagine toilets not flushing for 8 hours in a hot climate....yikes). This didn't seem sanitary at all.

We went for dinner to the Italian restaurant again. I had risotto (recommend saffron rissoto highly and NOT the chicken rissoto), eggplant lasagna and fig phyllo pastry dessert. They were all soooooo good. After we watched the chinese circus show which was our favorite....so amazing. I highly recommend this show. We watched band as well, which was my hubbie's favorite thing to do in the evenings. We went back to room to enjoy drinks on the balcony on our final night.

But because of the water situation (going out again at midnight), I didn't sleep the whole night because I was stressed out and upset. I could forgive the first time the water had gone out, and the second time maybe I could deal with. But the third time in one week was WAY too much. On top of it all, construction woke us up at 8am the next morning....really loud machines were being used above us. I heard construction throughout the week we were there - I think they were completing the room above us. It never disturbed us that much though, just could hear some banging and noises at times. It was our last morning that it was really bad, and I wish the resort had warned us of this when we had changed rooms.

On Saturday the bellboy came to get our bags quickly and we easily checked out. We ate lunch and relaxed a bit before leaving for the airport. We took a taxi to the airport which was cheaper than the private transfer.

Here are some more general thoughts:
- Lunch food is very good at the mar/tierra - beachfront restaurant. There is also a terrific view from there
- Some of the nightly entertainment shows in my review might be a bit mixed up because of my memory (sorry)
- I recommend taking 3 bottles of sunscreen per couple since 2 was barely enough for me and my hubbie....it was $30 each in the gift shop (yikes)
- I also recommend taking insect spray for coba as it came in handy
- Take 2 bars of soap if you take your own soap although their toiletries were pretty good. I took 1 bar of soap which didn't last long since you end up taking more than 1 shower a day.
- There is no fan/exhaust in bathroom so we took a candle to freshen the air which came in very handy
- Service overall was very very good
- We had a very relaxing time and it's an amazing resort. It has a stunning atmosphere, with marble floors and amazing decor.
- The pillow menu was so neat - 6 different types of pillows to choose from I believe. We stuck with the regular pillows which were so comfortable, as was the bed.
- We loved the turndown service and getting the Valentin Journal - thought this was a wonderful idea
- We ended up taking a small flashlight which came in useful for walking around in the evenings (the first 2 evenings at least until we got used to walking in the near darkness). It also came in useful for the power outages.
- Don't let the little things bother you...you are in a different country and things might take longer than you're used to. Just lay back, relax and enjoy yourself!

Finally, if not for the water situation and lack of a honeymoon package, and construction waking us up I would have given this resort a 5 star, but chose to give it a 4 star because of these issues. It will become a 5 star however I am sure....and would definitely consider going back despite any issues we had. Overall it was a wonderful getaway....

27  Thank Member007
Reviewed April 8, 2008

My wife and I arrived April 3rd at 11:30 am and did recieve a warm towel and a point towards the beach to wait for our room. We where given a disk to take with that would notify us when our room was ready at 3 pm. When we did not get notified by 4:45 we went back to the lobby to get our room. We stayed in the Ocean front rooms which where by far the best. We had no water the first night and no warm water the entire second day. Not just our room but all of building 12.

The food is average at best. If you think Epcot has fine resturants you will not be dissapointed.

Service was very inconsistant from room cleaning to towels arriving on the beach. Cleaning of the beach area was not very good, we found many cig butts and beer cans from the night before.

What gave this resort it's 3 stars was the beautiful room we had. The view was fantastic out the second floor balcony ( rm 12206). We slept at night with the patio door open and the sound of the waves and breeze was perfect. Also, it was not very crowded and we did not have to wait long for anything. We tipped at every chance, and I would recommend you do also.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank dbldChicago
Reviewed April 8, 2008

The Valentin Imperial looks exactly like the online brochure. The resort is fabulous! We were given Champagne while we checked in and then taken to our room by golf cart. On the way there they gave use a tour of the resort. The room was great. We were staying in a Deluxe Jr. Suite. It was big and clean. My boyfriend loved the bathroom.

The restaurants were excellent. The service was good and so was the food. The wait was about a half and hour. They gave us a pager (just like the restaurants at home do) to let us know when our table was ready. There are 7 restaurants. 5 are always open and the other 2 are open on different nights. You don't need to make a reservation and you can go to as many restaurants as you like. There is a dress code. No shorts, tank tops or sandals for men. Ladies can wear pants, skirts and dressy sandals if they like.

The drinks were great. Top brands of alcohol and liquors to choose from. The wine was not the best but you can purchase from a fairly good selection.

The resort its self was beautiful. Being that it is adults only it was quiet. An excellent place for couples. The pool is amazing. It has two swim up bars and is salt water instead of chlorine.

The resort is about 20 minutes form Playa Del Carmen. We went shopping there and had a great day. 5th avenue is blocked off for tourists and is very safe. Lots of great deals and fun things to see.

We would definitely return for another vacation.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank Virgo3178
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#21 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 214 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!