“Nothing to complain about”

Valentin Imperial Maya
oshawa
“Nothing to complain about”
Reviewed March 30, 2008

March 30, 2008 After returning from a l week vacation at the Valentin I am here to tell you there is nothing to complain about. We had absolutely not one problem. Yes I realize things do happen to some people but nothing is perfect and it doesn't take much time to correct if there is a problem. No towels-Just call and you will get them. The maids were in our building number 4 all day until 5:00. Anything to do with the room just ask. Room service was excellent. You have to realize your food is not going to be steamy hot and if you expect that you really need to go to the many restaurants. There was plenty of good food and if it was not enough just ask for more. It was no problem. The beach from my experience in the mayan the closer to playa del carmen area is the nicest. There are rocks but just take a look out into the ocean and it was amazing. Everything on a vacation is how you make it. Very elegant hotel and atmosphere. The hotel is really not that big. The walking is good for you and after you drink and eat a little bit of exercise doesn't hurt anyone. The rooms were beautiful and the beds were the BEST!!!! The staff through out the resort were very friendly, always a smile and a hello(aloha) we did not run into one grumpy or unhappy staff member. I really think that happy staff make the biggest difference in how you start and end your day and there are no complaints, Mexicans staff in every resort (5) we have been to are excellent. The recreation staff really did an awesome job with just their presence around the pool. Yes this resort is a 5 star and the little things that crop up can be corrected if you can keep an open mind. Just remember you are on holidays and mexico time is a very different from ours. This vacation was well worth the money and yes this resort will be alot more money next year at this time so enjoy now.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
9 Thank LostandFoundOshawa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,522)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ontario
Reviewed March 30, 2008

Just returned from a week at the Valentin (Mar22-Mar29). It's a wonderfully relaxing spot! The food was, as mentioned, amazing! The service was also excellent. Very prompt and courteous.

We were in building #3 on the ground floor with a jungle view and I found our location central to everything and very, very quiet. I arrived quite sleep deprived and was over joyed with the comfortable bed and utter peace and quiet!

I was there with my Mom so we didn't do a lot of the night scene, although did enjoy the fire show. We took our binoculars and did quite a bit of bird watching at the resort. If this appeals to you, you will be well rewarded. There is a dirt road just off the main driveway at the resort where we spotted many birds including Green Parrots and Chachalacas. Many of the other birds, including Orioles, Humming birds, Kiskadees, Yucatan Jays, woodpeckers etc, we spotted right from our patio off our room while enjoying our morning coffee.

Our room was very well cleaned every day and fridge stocked with 4 kinds of beer, lots of pop and 6 bottles of water. Additionally, a large bottle of water was left near our coffee maker so we could brew a pot or two using that. We had turn down service all but two nights which was a nice, but certainly unnecesary, service.

Twice, we rented a car from Manuel at the "Buster Rent a Car" in the hotel and that went smoothly with no problems. Most of the cars are standard transmission, but that was OK for me. As I love to snorkel and the beach was very turbulent all week, we drove up to Yal Ku lagoon (drive through the town of Akumal and you will find it at the end of the road) for some snorkelling and were well rewarded! Smaller tours take people here, but not the giant bus tours we encountered when we drove to Coba. If you do go to Coba (which was awesome), I would recommend that you go in the afternoon as the bus tours seem to have moved on by then.

One other aspect of the resort that I really enjoyed was being able to locate yourself in an area to suit your current mood. The front lobby has comfortable upholstered furniture and classical type music - very peaceful. The main pool area has upbeat music. The small volleyball pool area has spa type music. Different sounds all thoughout the resort. It didn't seem to matter where we sat down, someone was along shortly asking us if we would like a drink. We also really enjoyed the saxophonist and harpist at the buffet. Nice touch.

Really top notch. No regrets whatsoever! I desperately needed a break and am home feeling relaxed and refreshed. I hope to return with my husband some time as it's quite a romantic setting.

• Liked — Awesome food, great service, comfy beds!
  • Disliked — The beach was red flag every day (not the resorts fault)
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
11 Thank HeidiMS
Laval, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2008

My friend and i came back from one week there on the 21st of march. The hotel is superb, this is a big resort with a shuttle disponible whenever you ask or it passes.
The beach is very nice with big waves sometimes, you have to walk a couple of feets to get where you can swim almost without rocks. You can have your drinks served to your place on the beach when you want, there's always someone passing by. The only thing they have to improve in all my comments is to put more umbrellas on the beach because you have to wake up early to have one for the day. The activities at the beach are fun.
The pools are extraordinary, the one in front of blocks 6-7-8 is nice and there is a bar there too. The bigest pool is the nicest i have ever seen. Even the mattresses are comfortable at the pool and there is a lot of chairs in the shadow if you want.
The restaurants are all great, you don't have to reserve and you don't have to wait even if the hotel is full. You have to try every one of them, they even have a sushi bar and a nice buffet that is in a close and fresh area.
The bars are great, you can eat snacks there and drinks are awesome, the staff too.
The rooms are the best, you want to stay there all night long to relax, watch movies on your flat screen or take a jacuzzi. I've been upgraded there but even if you have a normal suite, you have a jacuzzi in your room and service every night where they open your bed, give you a journal with the activities for the day after, chocolates, ...you have pillow menu where you can choose your pillow and you also have the choice to get room service 24 hours a day.
Everything is included and makes your life easier, like the towels you find everywhere, at the beach, at the pools and you dispose of them at the same place. You even have towels for your hands in the restrooms...
The service is excellent, everybody is nice and there to serve you, the excursions lady was nice and helpfull, we went to Playa del Carmen and Chichen-Itza. We did some sea-do on the beach too, the guys were very helpfull in explaining how to work those.
That was a great vacation and i recommand it to everyone, especiallly to the couples.

• Liked — The "chic", the service, the rooms
  • Disliked — Not enough umbrellas on the beach
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
6 Thank tweety1968
Dallas, TX
Reviewed March 29, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed at the Valentin for 6 days. It is an amazing resort with something for everyone.

Service was absolutely over the top! Our room was spotless daily with fresh towels, rose petals, simply gorgeous. The room service was to die for and all the waitstaff did a superb job. We did tip everyone, they do thrive on tips to survive.

Food-delicious! My favorite was the Italian restaurant and the buffet at Le Marche. I'm quite picky about what I eat and I was never disappointed.

Drinks- woo-hoo! Whatever your heart desires is what you'll have. Premium liquors, stout pours upon request, and yummy mudslides by the pool.

The pool and beach are stunning, we rode wave runners in the ocean for $60 and had a blast!

The ONLY poor critique I have to offer is I saw a child at the resort. I'm a teacher and during my Spring Break I do not want to see any children whatsoever. Oddly enough, I was not the first person to notice this. A group of people were sitting together at the pool and had mentioned seeing the young girl. They were very upset to have paid money for " Adults Only" and noticed kids. They also intended on complaining, I did not. I think they need some kind of an age verification so people do not try and sneak their kids into this adult paradise.

I would love to go back if I can still afford it and prices don't sky rocket. EXCELLENT RESORT!

• Liked — Beauty, Food, Drink
  • Disliked — seeing children-boo!
19 Thank MexmamaTX
cleveland, Oh
Reviewed March 28, 2008

Before posting this review I took the time to read other reviews from the week we were there. March 20th to the 27th. We experienced none of the problems other people did. We were in Building 3 and our air worked perfectly. Yes the power did go out on occasion, but remember this is a new property and they are still working on it. We found the food excellant and the service for us was beyond belief. The breakfast buffet had so many things on it that it was hard to choose. Same way at lunch. When you go in for breakfast there are fresh roses on every table which was very elegant. Also either a harpest or a saxaphonist playing music. They also provide you with a paper to read during your breakfast. Nice touch. At the Mexican resturant try the Mayan coffee. It was to die for and the presentation was to die for. Try to learn some of the language and smile and it is amazing how far it will get you. Also, remember you are not at home. If you want things like they are at home, stay there. As for the resort, we found it very clean and the wait staff always there with a smile and a drink. The hotel was full during our stay yet we never had to wait for anything. If you are the type of person who needs to be busy all the time then I can guarentee you will never be bored. Always something going on and lots of equipment to use. Bicycles, inline skates, pool tables etc. The newspaper they put on your bed at night was very helpful. They even have activities scheduled for rainy days. Our room was the standard room which was wonderful. Really a WOW factor when you walk in. The bed was so comfortable that I wanted to bring it home with me. Some nice touches in the room are the lighted make-up mirror and the umbrella in case it rains. They also provide a scale which if you are smart you will only use to weight your luggage. Trees have been left around all buildings which makes it feel like you are in a jungle and they also muffle sounds of roads, the pool and generally people walking by. As for the review about the theft, remember that there are dishonest people everywhere. That is why you have a safe in your room. Also, the only problem we had was when we forgot the code for the safe. We called the front desk and they were there to help us in a matter of minutes. We are already planning our trip for next April. I am spoiled and don't think I could be happy anywhere else.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — People who save spaces at pool & beach and then never show up to use them.
14 Thank cleveland_ohbeachbum
New Jersey
Reviewed March 28, 2008

I have been in many 4-5 stars all-inclusive hotels in the Carribean. So far, this was the best place - beautiful, clean resort, delicious food, hardworking and fast staff, and many activities to do during the day and nice shows in the evening.

Resort - beatiful, many fountains, lagoons, and excellent landscape. Very big resort, we stayed at the building 8 and many times we used carts because we were tired to walk. Many bars, most of the restaurants are in the central location. Only Seafood restaurant, Lobster Pot and Tierra are by the beach.

Room - we had a golden suite. Room was amazing, 2 balconies ( one was very small and it was locked so we didn't use it) 2 TVs, large jacuzzi, spacious bathroom. Everything is new, so obviously bed and pillows are great. We were surprised with rose petals decorations 2 days in a row because they thought that we were honeymooners, also bottle of champaigne. Room service came by twice a day. Our mini bar was always full, room extremely clean. Toiletries are top notch.

Dining Experience - in my opinion EXCELLENT. Le Marche had a great variety buffet for breakfast and lunch. We went one time to Mar & Tierra for lunch and then came back to buffet other days. Loved French, Italian, Seafood Restaurants. Did not like much Japanese, but we went a la carte in Japanese and it was not a good choice on the menu and soups were tasteless. If anyone decide to go to Japanese, it's better to wait for Tepanaki. We didn't want to wait for like 45 mins, so went a la carte and were disappointed. In the restaurants all portions are small, but for us it was great because we had a chance to try everything - start with appetizer, soup, main course, and desserts. I rather have that than huge portions. On Saturday, no need to go to restaurants because it is Mexican Fair and outside there is a buffet with huge selection of Mexican food, followed by beautiful Mexican show and mariachi at the end.

Entertainment - DVDs on front desk; by main pool - ping pong tables, pool, and other games. In addition, they have a schedule of many activities throughout the day like Spanish lessons, salsa lessons, rifle shooting etc. Lots of boardgames to take out. Pools are great with sea water, nice drinks at the bars, and staff are carrying delicious appetizers to try.

Beach - very nice beach, need to walk further down behind the volleyball fence to swim. Otherwise, there is a need for beach shoes. Towels are available without any towel cards, take as many as you like.

In conclusion, our stay was amazing. We liked everything, we were not distracted by contruction I didn't even notice where they were. Everything at this resort is made to make it easier and better stay for everybody, no wrist bracelets, no reservations for the restaurants, no towel cards, etc. Staff are very friendly, polite and hardworking people willing to help with anything that you might need. The service was fast and efficient everywhere.

• Liked — Absolutely Everything
  • Disliked — nothing at all
9 Thank solnushka
Brampton, On. Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2008

We just got back last night (mar 27) and have to say that this hotel is absolutely wonderful. My husband and I escaped our two toddlers for the week and everything was so great. From early flights, to a great pick up to professional staff that treated you with respect and love without necessarily expecting a tip. Though we booked a deluxe suite, they upgraded us to a swim up golden deluxe. the only drawback was that it was a double bed room. Which we balked at at first but it worked out great, the double beds are fine too. I loved that we had a private piece of pool to lounge at. The room are beautiful, great shower pressure and no bugs anywhere. The restaurants are all great and we didn't have to wait very long at all. Our top 3 were French, seafood and Italian. Though the steakhouse and lobster pot were great too. The japanese is worth going to for the tepanyaki. Drinks are definitely not diluted and if you hang out at the bar, you'll become a guinea pig for every drink the bartender can think of. The grounds are immaculate except for this lagoon like area on the east side fo the resort. Remember, this is still a resort that is building. It was beautiful anyway. The beack was beautiful, the further you move north, the softer the sand. Definitely spend the $7 at walmart and buy water shoes or you'll end of up buying a pair from the resort store for $41. Things that we didn't know that we wish we did:
1. There is an organized tennis clinic, it's worth bringing your own racket.
2. The safe's are very large and can accomodate a 17" laptop.
3. There is no free shuttle to playa del carmen like the other resorts offer though there is a free shopping excursion which i heard from others that was not very good.
4. Towel etiquette. Sadly, people wake up super early and "reserve" chairs at both the beach and the pool. Sometimes they'll rent chairs in the pool water and pool shade too. This is ridiculous as many find themselves without a place to sit while hundreds of chairs are reserved and unocuppied. The only way to combat this is to play the game. I hated doing this, but it seems this is the only way to do it.
5. If you want to tip with material goods, you are required to write a letter stating who it is for, what it is and your name and room #. This is to ensure that they were not stolen. My husband and I brought shoes, perfume, etc. to give as tips. They seemed to really appreciate these as opposed to a 10-20 peso tip.
6. If you want a 10 day trip, book it from home as opposed to extending a 7 day trip from there. The two nights were going to be another $1850. Stupid but that's the way it was. Needless to stay, we didn't stay.

I would definitely go back again (if i can afford it). Enjoy your stay, it will be one you won't soon forget.

• Liked — the food and service
  • Disliked — the chair race
9 Thank RupiMitha
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Secreto
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#38 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!