My husband and I just returned from our first trip to Valentin Imperial Maya which, I booked with Jennifer at Tripguy.com. I would highly recommend them for your travel needs. Jennifer was so helpful and took care of everything. She also quickly and thoroughly answered my numerous questions. I was a little concerned about trying a new resort since we are creatures of habit and loved the resort that we visited previously. I didn't want a "party" atmosphere as we just needed to relax. We are mid-40's. Most people there were probably in our age bracket although there were a few younger and a few older. There was no reason for concern-- the resort was absolutely gorgeous and just like any of the pictures that I had seen. The grounds and buildings are extremely well-kept, there are people working constantly to keep it that way. We requested a Golden Jr. Suite on the top floor and were given just that. We were in building 6 (6302) and had a slight view of the sea. We overlooked the lazy river and a smaller pool. It was very quiet and a great location. We were only about a five minute walk from the beach. If you want a beach front room, book an Emerald Suite in buildings 9-13 but make sure you request second floor if you want to see the water. The first floor looks out into the trees. Our room was gorgeous and very spacious and the air conditioning worked extremely well. Some other reviewers said that their rooms were hot but ours was actually too cold sometimes.
The food was great. We're not talking gourmet but as far as an AI goes, I thought it was very good. We tried all of the specialty restaurants except steak and seafood and enjoyed them all. My husband's favorite was the tiramisu at the Italian restaurant. The fried poblano peppers the Mexican restaurant were gigantic! Luis took very good care of us there. We really enjoyed the buffet for breakfast and sometimes lunch.
We had a couples massage at the spa. Very nice. A little pricey but well worth it -- it's vacation, right? The spa is probably not as glamorous as some that I've been to but it was nice and clean and the staff were great.
We scheduled parasailing through the Lomas agent at the resort. If we had to do it again, we'd just go with one of the guys at the beach. We were told that we would have a longer ride than what they do at the beach but we didn't. We got about 10 - 15 min. We watched the ones at the beach and they were up at least twice that.
The beach was beautiful. We did not have any trouble getting a palapa any time of the day - of course, this did seem to be the low season and the resort had a very low occupancy (just the way we like it!). We took our snorkel gear but the one day we tried to go out, the water was really rough so we didn't try again. You could get a snorkel or diving tour through the folks at the resort. There are rocks at the shoreline so you can't just walk into the water anywhere without shoes. There is a swimming area where they've added sand and you can walk in without any trouble (or shoes). The beach service was spotty. Some days there was a server and some days not. No big deal, a walk to the bar wasn't very long. It was a good place to get a little shade and sit on a swing for a few minutes. The drinks were okay. We're not big mixed drink people so what we had was fine. Beer was Dos Equis -- no Corona. Wines were so-so. The white was better than the red. If you wanted better wine in the restaurants, you could pay extra and order a bottle from the wine list. Of course we had mimosa with breakfast every day. I'm happy anywhere that I can have sparkling wine for breakfast!
We spent a couple of hours at the activities pool on our last day. It was fun but we prefer the beach. We did use the pool outside our building several times because it was convenient. It was not crowded at all. I wish I would have taken a float with me for the river. I think they provide them at busier times of the year. It would have been nice to float down to the other end for a drink from the bar. There was a bar closer to us but it was closed. One of the pool bars at the activities pool was also closed. I'm guessing this was because of the lower occupancy.
We tried to see some of the shows but dinner usually overlapped for us. We did catch the Mayan show which was good. We saw a little bit of the Michael Jackson show which was very good. I wish we could have stayed for all of it. The bands in the plaza were okay but not the best. We didn't go to the Sports Bar but it seemed to be quite busy after dinner. There were a lot of things that we never got around to trying but we were happy with everything that we did.
Overall, we had a wonderful trip and this was an excellent resort for relaxing. We would definitely go back again and maybe stay a few extra days! If you want a very laid back resort, this is for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Valentin Imperial Maya is the new definition of paradise. Our 5 star Adults-Only (18+) All-Inclusive Resort is located a short 25 minutes from Cancun International Airport in the Riviera Maya. Set amid lavish gardens on a half-mile-long stretch of white sand beach named Playa Del Secreto (The Secret Beach), this magnificent award-winning resort boasts one of the largest swimming pools in Mexico. The location is ideal as one can easily reach Cancun and the world famous Mayan archaeological sites such as Tulum, Coba, and Chichen Itza, yet be removed enough to enjoy the casually elegant ambience of Valentin Imperial Maya. Escape into a world where your every wish is our command. Come indulge yourself....You deserve it! Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel & Spa is committed to preserve the environment by reducing the consumption of natural resources, promoting among our guests and staff, protection and respect for the environment through good environmental practices. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HRS so you can book your Valentin Imperial Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
- Valentin Imperial Maya Riviera Maya, Mexico