“Just shy of 5 stars.”

Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Reviewed April 5, 2012

First visit to Mexico, March 23-31, hubby and I are in our late 40s and chose the Valentin after reading so many reviews on TripAdvisor and seeing videos on YouTube.
What a beautiful resort, as most have stated, we too were greeted with the cool towel and champagne toast and the ever welcoming "Welcome home" .
Check in went very smoothly. We were offered a free upgrade to an Emerald suite which we regretfully declined for our swim-up room. Don't get me wrong, the swim-up was terrific but we found that since it was more isolated on the quieter pool, we found ourselves spending more time at the main pool. We had arrived around noon and our room was not ready yet so we made our way to the beach bar and enjoyed the ultimate in Margaritas. On our way up to the lobby for check in, we were picked up by the most accommodating staff I have ever encountered. He assured us our room was indeed ready for us, grabbed all of our bags and escorted us via golf art to our room. He was tipped well.
We were in building 6, excellent location in between beach, pool and restaurants. There's a lot of reviews regarding the amount of walking on the resort and to those I simply say, stay at a hotel vs. the resort. The Valentin has everything you need to enjoy a fun, active, or relaxing vacation.
The room was bright, clean and inviting. There is another description of the swim up room below so no need to go into detail, as they did a good job with the description.
Pools were great, both the main pool, where all activity takes place, and the quieter pool surrounding buildings 6,7 and 8, are very clean. The pools never seemed to be overly crowded since they are so large. Saw the chair/towel/floatie games but never phased us. We always found a spot and brought our own floats. Attendants were removing towels from non-occupied chairs.
Veronica and Miguel at the swim up bar make one heck of a Margarita, be sure to tip them but you don't have to in order to get a good drink. Again, have read reviews about watered down drinks and have to say I do not agree. Top shelf available at every bar we went to. There are two bars in the quiet bar as well, only one was ever open and you have to get out of the pool. They do provide poolside service at both pools.
Food was very good. Breakfast buffet better than others we've had. Only had lunch a couple of times for whatever reasons. The piella at the pool bar was awesome, they know how to NOT overlook calamari. Dinners were pretty good, the onion soup at the French restaurant is the best I have ever had. The steakhouse was another of our favorites. I tend to not review the food extensively since this an individual preference. I found all menus to accommodate all dietary needs/likes.
The hostess at the steakhouse actually circles the restaurant making sure each glass if full and that everything is where and how it should be.
During breakfast one morning all guests were approached and kindly asked to complete a satisfaction survey.
Service overall was excellent but had a few small hiccups which withheld my giving the fifth star. We were having lunch one afternoon, during somewhat peak hours, at Mar and had to wait for nearly 10 minutes for our beverages. We wanted to order burgers which I learned you order via your server. We finally gave up and went up to the cooking station and ordered ourselves.
Room service but very good but rather inconsistent, we never knew what time of day they were coming. Also hear of some people getting towel animals and champagne in the room, we had none of that nor did another couple we met there. No huge deal there.
The beach is remarkable. We were not sitting in our lounges for 30 seconds and were provided towels by one of the beach staff.
We did enjoy the Mexican Fiesta one evening but we are early risers so after a full day in the sun and activity, we were pooped. The room service is great, I recommend ordering the coffee every morning and enjoy a pot before breakfast. The coffee in the room available to make was not my favorite by far.
Our minibar was fully stocked with 6-8 bottles of water each day. One morning we even got an extra 6 bottles with our morning coffee delivery.
This resort is secure. Each time we left via taxi, we were asked for our room MJ,ner and we were a counted for upon our return. Always with a warm "welcome back home".
Talked with several guests who had stayed at other resorts previously and they thought the Valentine was superior to those.
If I could give the Valentin a 4.75 stars I would. I am. OT a fussy person but just a couple of small bumps cost the 5 star rating.
Maybe next time!!!

Room Tip: We loved our location in building 6. The swim up rooms are awesome if you like the quietness.
13  Thank SAS109traveler
Write a ReviewReviews (12,402)

Reviewed April 5, 2012

My husband I just returned last night after a wonderful week at the Valentin Imperial Resort. We had upgraded to a Deluxe Silver Suite and weren't disappointed. Buildings 1 & 2 are where the silver suites are located. We were in building #2 which was very close to the pool. Many people we met did not upgrade and loved their suites as well. The pool is massive, lots of activities - two swim-up bars. The facility is lush, colorful, and well maintained by the grounds keepers and hotel staff. Everything is first class and professional. If you enjoy being near the restaurants and pools, then buildings 1-5 are your best choices. If you prefer the beach area and don't mind walking, buildings 6-14 may be a better selection. The resort is located on 37 acres and is absolutely beautiful. I highly recommend it as an all adult resort with good restaurants, friendly and helpful staff, and in a beautiful, romantic setting. The entertainment was the best of any resort I have visited in the Mayan Riviera and the entertainment group works very hard to make it fun for everyone.

Room Tip: As mentioned above - pool area - restaurant - Buildings 1-5 Beach area - 6-14. There are 3 floors...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank fifiracine
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Just back from a 14 night stay at the Valentin. We stayed in a Deluxe Suite which was roomy with a kingsize bed and a great bathroom we were in building 5 on the first floor with a partial sea view and garden view. We holidayed on the Riviera Maya four years ago at the Aventuras Spa Palace and wanted a similar experience but Spa Palace has allowed children in to part of the resort which ruled it out for us. After a couple of recommendations and some research on TA we opted for the Valentin.

The Valentin did not disappoint. The food is excellent with a great choice of restaurants and they really are that with a really authentic style and feel and a full a la carte choice in each one. Our favourites were the French, Italian and Mexican. The experience at the Japanese is also worth a visit. The only one which fell short in terms of service was the Indonesian where the staff all seemed to be less well trained which was a bit surprising given the quality elsewhere and we did visit twice so not just an off night.

We like a quieter spot for sunbathing and after trying the main pool the first day we found it a bit noisy (at the quiet end) due to a large family deciding their musical tastes would be happily shared by . A little bit thoughtless but it persuaded us to look at the lazy river pool as an alternative and we found this was just right for us. The Sun Bar serves the customers in that pool and Abelardo and Sergio were simply fantastic in ensuring the cocktails were refreshed whenever we wanted. Thanks to both of them.

Towels were only available from 9am so be warned for your first day. There was some sunbed reserving going on but to be honest we never had any issues at the lazy river pool though we were down there before 9am every day and the main pool didn't fill up until late morning from what we saw. The floaties (floating mattresses) for the pool were a bit scarce even in the lazy river but it was possible to get one most days as well.

Breakfasts we took in Le Marche every day and found fantastic choice with surely something for everyone. Room service we used 3 or 4 times and it was OK though the food was a little cool by the time it reached us. The bars are excellent and much better than we experienced at Spa Palace with the Don Miguel our favourite for post dinner drinks and it also has a sushi bar if you are feeling peckish (going hungry is a challenge in this resort).

I'd also recommend the trip we did to Chichen Itza it was very good but quite a long day (12 hours)

There weren't many Brits in the hotel that we could see mostly Americans and Canadians but for those from the UK used to European or Egyptian all inclusive deals this is the real deal. It really is all inclusive with good quality wines (Chilean) and good top shelf brands for spirits. You really only need to think about tipping which I think is more alien to us Brits than our cousins from the States but ther really is no need to go overboard with this. Finally the real stars of this show are the Mexican people and their wonderful country and climate. They have a great sense of humour and fun and are really pleased that you have visited their country.

The fantastic service and smiles will definitely mean that we will return again and the Valentin will be at the top of our list if we do.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad choices here
7  Thank Sticho
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Let me start off by saying that I travel with 3 other girls for a yearly trip to Mexico/Caribbean. We all read the reviews for the Valentin; I guess that is why we were so disappointed with our stay. We had reserved 2 Golden Jr. Suite rooms, but when we arrived at the hotel, the rude manager informed us that we did not reserve these rooms. For 3 hours we were on the phone with GOGO's and our travel agent to get the matter resolved. The manager at the front desk downgraded our rooms even though we could prove that we did indeed purchase the Golden suites. The following day, Valentin finally admitted to their mistake, but we were never placed in our reserved rooms. Throughout our whole stay we needed to be by my cell phone because our end was trying to rectify the problem. While we were at the pool, we found 2 other parties that this had happened to. Disturbing to say the least. How could all of the reviews posted be so good, yet we and 2 other parties that we know of, have such a horrible experience. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. The hotel is nice, the other service people are nice, the beach is nice, and the pool is nice. But when you encounter a front desk staff that was rude, non-accommodating, and wrong, it is not worth any amount of money. We have been travelling since 1999 on these trips, and we have never encountered a problem such as this. Normally, if the hotel makes a mistake, they upgrade you...not the Valentin. At first, they would not admit that they were wrong. And once they did admit that they were wrong, we never received an apology or our confirmed rooms. In fact, it is 1 week after the vacation, and we are still in contact with our travel agent and GOGO's. I don't know if this will get posted because it is a negative comment, but please be aware, this hotel does not live up to all of the comments that you read. At first I thought that we were just having a bad experience, but when we found out that we were not alone in how rudely the front desk treated us and did not accommodate our reservation, we knew it was a problem bigger than just our reservations for 2 Golden Jr. Suites. I urge you not to stay at this establishment. You might get lucky and encounter no problems, but then again, you could be like us and others that were vacationing there and have problems. Problems in itself are not bad, but when the hotel does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to rectify the problem, well then, that is a whole different problem. Whenever you are spending the type of money that you are...you deserve the reassurance that the staff at the hotel will do anything that they can to make your stay a pleasant experience. This hotel will not do that. Please look elsewhere. You deserve to be treated wonderfully and you can experience that at other hotels in Mexico and the Caribbean. Two places I can recommend in Mexico: Iberostar Maya and Adventura. As far as the Caribbean: hands down Marriott in Aruba. Enjoy

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
12  Thank Deborah O
Reviewed April 3, 2012

This was our third trip to the Mayan this year and last April we stayed at the El Dorado seaside suites and I didn't think it could get any better but the Valentin is the most amazing place we have been yet! I can see why people return 5 or more times. Every good review on this site says it all, the food is outstanding we didn't have a bad meal anywhere in fact each meal just got better! The sushi was to die for. The beach is by far the best we have seen in our travels to Mexico! No rocks, sand like silk and the water is every color of blue, I would say it is just as nice as the beaches in Veradero or Punta Cana. Some other things I will mention is the space and resources for those that exercise- heat paved paths for runners, the bikes were mountain bikes and in great shape and the yoga area was really nice. Our room was amazing and so nice, turn down service was sporadic but that wasn't a big deal to us, our room was cleaned every morning and we were given fresh towels and linens. We won't hesitate to go back!

Room Tip: We stayed in building 1 in room 1123 and only had a 5min walk to the beach, pools and restaurants
3  Thank tripleakids
Reviewed April 3, 2012

First let me say that I researched this resort nonstop on TA and almost switched resorts due to negative comments about the towel game and the possibility of getting 2 double beds. I emailed Jessica at the VIM and she took the time to answer all my questions right away.

We stayed at VIM 3/22-3/27 and it was at full capacity (but never felt like it). We arrived at VIM around 11am and were checked in within 15 minutes. I am not quite sure how their check in process works since you don't wait in line, but I did hear some mixed reviews on the wait time. Enrique reviewed the resort with us and we decided to pay for the upgrade to the Imperial Suite, especially since the room was ready right away. They drove us to the room........WOW! It was a HUGE room with amazing views. It was our anniversary trip so we really wanted the jacuzzi on the balcony. We did get to see a Silver Suite and an Emerald Suite and they were spacious rooms as well. The maid service was good. My only complaint would be that if you take a drink to your room or order room service, they would place the dishes/glasses outside the room. There were 2 days that our dishes sat out there for the whole day until we asked for them to be removed due to the ants & bugs. The grounds were BEAUTIFUL and CLEAN! The resort is a little spread out, but nothing over whelming. Everything was pristine.

The beach was very nice and very large. There was a rocky area, but also a huge swimming area. We spent most of our time in the pool, which was excellent. The towel game and float game are in full effect, but there was always a spot open. It may not be the exact spot that you wanted, but there were chairs available all day. The staff did come down one morning and removed all floats that were placed under chairs and under towels on people's chairs. I only wish they would do that throughout the day or require that all pool floats remain in the pool at all times! There are more than enough floats for the people that are actually in the pool. We tipped the wait staff everytime they brought us a drink, because they deserved it. We didn't get better service for it becasue they were great to everyone.

The food was delicious! Dinner for us was between 6-7 every night and we never had to wait. When we left there was usually a short line, but nothing major. We did the Hibachi grill at Ginger 2 nights because it was fun and the food was so good. The Steakhouse was pretty good, minus the stray cat that was wandering around the restaurant. The steaks were a little fatty and not as tender as we like, but the rest of the meal and staff were great. We tried the Mexican and Italian restaurants which were fantastic! The wait staff were very attentive and the menu options were plentiful. We also ordered room service for lunch and a late night snack a few times. Room Service was fast and hot when it arrived. The only downfall with the restaurants for us was the dress code for men and the lack of a quick servie lunch by the pool/beach. My husband was sweating every night when he had to put pants on. He was miserable and felt that his dress shorts were nice enough. As for lunch, everyday they had some sort of pool side barbeque but 3 of our 5 days it was only paella, which neither of us cared for. It would have been nice to grab lunch while you sit by the pool instead of having to dry off and go sit at a restaurant.

Overall, we had the perfect anniversary trip thanks to the VIM and their wonderful staff. We will be returning next year and I can not wait!!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are wonderful, but research what is most important to you and review their rooms on their...
17  Thank NBM0M
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We had a Wonderful time at this resort we stay in a Beautiful ocean view room. All I can say is this place is the best place that we have ever stayed at simply put, top notch.

3  Thank Robin H
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 215 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!