First visit to Mexico, March 23-31, hubby and I are in our late 40s and chose the Valentin after reading so many reviews on TripAdvisor and seeing videos on YouTube.
What a beautiful resort, as most have stated, we too were greeted with the cool towel and champagne toast and the ever welcoming "Welcome home" .
Check in went very smoothly. We were offered a free upgrade to an Emerald suite which we regretfully declined for our swim-up room. Don't get me wrong, the swim-up was terrific but we found that since it was more isolated on the quieter pool, we found ourselves spending more time at the main pool. We had arrived around noon and our room was not ready yet so we made our way to the beach bar and enjoyed the ultimate in Margaritas. On our way up to the lobby for check in, we were picked up by the most accommodating staff I have ever encountered. He assured us our room was indeed ready for us, grabbed all of our bags and escorted us via golf art to our room. He was tipped well.
We were in building 6, excellent location in between beach, pool and restaurants. There's a lot of reviews regarding the amount of walking on the resort and to those I simply say, stay at a hotel vs. the resort. The Valentin has everything you need to enjoy a fun, active, or relaxing vacation.
The room was bright, clean and inviting. There is another description of the swim up room below so no need to go into detail, as they did a good job with the description.
Pools were great, both the main pool, where all activity takes place, and the quieter pool surrounding buildings 6,7 and 8, are very clean. The pools never seemed to be overly crowded since they are so large. Saw the chair/towel/floatie games but never phased us. We always found a spot and brought our own floats. Attendants were removing towels from non-occupied chairs.
Veronica and Miguel at the swim up bar make one heck of a Margarita, be sure to tip them but you don't have to in order to get a good drink. Again, have read reviews about watered down drinks and have to say I do not agree. Top shelf available at every bar we went to. There are two bars in the quiet bar as well, only one was ever open and you have to get out of the pool. They do provide poolside service at both pools.
Food was very good. Breakfast buffet better than others we've had. Only had lunch a couple of times for whatever reasons. The piella at the pool bar was awesome, they know how to NOT overlook calamari. Dinners were pretty good, the onion soup at the French restaurant is the best I have ever had. The steakhouse was another of our favorites. I tend to not review the food extensively since this an individual preference. I found all menus to accommodate all dietary needs/likes.
The hostess at the steakhouse actually circles the restaurant making sure each glass if full and that everything is where and how it should be.
During breakfast one morning all guests were approached and kindly asked to complete a satisfaction survey.
Service overall was excellent but had a few small hiccups which withheld my giving the fifth star. We were having lunch one afternoon, during somewhat peak hours, at Mar and had to wait for nearly 10 minutes for our beverages. We wanted to order burgers which I learned you order via your server. We finally gave up and went up to the cooking station and ordered ourselves.
Room service but very good but rather inconsistent, we never knew what time of day they were coming. Also hear of some people getting towel animals and champagne in the room, we had none of that nor did another couple we met there. No huge deal there.
The beach is remarkable. We were not sitting in our lounges for 30 seconds and were provided towels by one of the beach staff.
We did enjoy the Mexican Fiesta one evening but we are early risers so after a full day in the sun and activity, we were pooped. The room service is great, I recommend ordering the coffee every morning and enjoy a pot before breakfast. The coffee in the room available to make was not my favorite by far.
Our minibar was fully stocked with 6-8 bottles of water each day. One morning we even got an extra 6 bottles with our morning coffee delivery.
This resort is secure. Each time we left via taxi, we were asked for our room MJ,ner and we were a counted for upon our return. Always with a warm "welcome back home".
Talked with several guests who had stayed at other resorts previously and they thought the Valentine was superior to those.
If I could give the Valentin a 4.75 stars I would. I am. OT a fussy person but just a couple of small bumps cost the 5 star rating.
Maybe next time!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Valentin Imperial Maya is the new definition of paradise. Our 5 star Adults-Only (18+) All-Inclusive Resort is located a short 25 minutes from Cancun International Airport in the Riviera Maya. Set amid lavish gardens on a half-mile-long stretch of white sand beach named Playa Del Secreto (The Secret Beach), this magnificent award-winning resort boasts one of the largest swimming pools in Mexico. The location is ideal as one can easily reach Cancun and the world famous Mayan archaeological sites such as Tulum, Coba, and Chichen Itza, yet be removed enough to enjoy the casually elegant ambience of Valentin Imperial Maya. Escape into a world where your every wish is our command. Come indulge yourself....You deserve it! Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel & Spa is committed to preserve the environment by reducing the consumption of natural resources, promoting among our guests and staff, protection and respect for the environment through good environmental practices. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya Mexico