“Our 8th trip to the VIM and we wouldn't stay anywhere else” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Valentin Imperial Maya

Valentin Imperial Maya
Somerset, Pennsylvania
“Our 8th trip to the VIM and we wouldn't stay anywhere else”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

Let me begin by saying that this was our 8th trip to the VIM and it keeps getting better. So good that we are going back in July. I would like to first thank Edgar the front desk manager and Christian the head manager for taking such good care of us. They run a top notch resort. In my opinion the best one in the Riviera Maya, and we have been to many before we have found a second home at the VIM.
Let me start out with telling you how beautiful the grounds are the VIM. The flowers and vegetation are awesome and it truly makes you feel like you are at a resort and not just a hotel. They work so hard and should be commended.
I have stayed in different rooms at the resort and I must say they are all really nice. We particularly like the Golden area rooms with the swim out room being our favorite. They are buildings 6,7,and 8.
The restaurants are all spetacular. Our favorites are the French and the Japanese habachi table. The show cooking is great especially if you get Maximo as your show cooker. Thanks Maximo for such a great time last week.
The bartenders and waitresses at the pool bars and the beach are impecable. They see that you get whatever you want in a timely manner. All I can ask you is that you please tip them while you are there. They truly work so hard. I would like to say a particular thank you to Veronica, Hugo, Mercedes, Maria, Dora, and Lordes. Those are just a few a the great workers, but everyone is awesome.
The pools are the biggest ones we have ever seen with 2 great swim up bars called Heaven and Earth. The beach is also beautiful with a great swimming area.
In closing I could not find anything negative about this resort. Can't wait to return next month!!!!
If you have any questions please feel free to email me

13 Thank wsceagles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,426)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

Just got back from five days at this resort and to say that we were impressed with the property and level of service is an understatement. The staff at the Valentin Imperial Maya was by far the friendliest and most helpful resort staff, I've encountered thus far.

The resort is absolutely gorgeous and adults-only, which we really enjoyed. Our room was beautiful and came complete with a private balcony. We got our travel package through Olympus Tours and they were great -- especially Mario, who's stationed at the resort.

As for the food, they have plenty of themed restaurants (Mexican, Japanese, etc.), but the French one was our favorite. There's also a breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet -- all of which were good, too.

As I mentioned, there were all adults at this resort -- mostly couples on vacation, getting married or celebrating their anniversaries -- and everyone was super friendly. The main pool area (which had a swim-up bar, cabanas and lots of pool chairs) made for the perfect spot to mingle with the other people staying there. There's also a spa, and I'd suggest spending your last day getting a massage (Myriam and Alberto are phenomenal).

All in all, we had an AMAZING time and will definitely be back. I'd highly recommend this place to anyone considering a trip to Mexico, but wants to avoid the cliche-ish party scene in some of the bigger known resort cities like Cancun.

4 Thank anbrowne03
Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

I've never been to Mexico but had advice to go to Playa & chose this resort as 1 of our travel agents choices... it was AMAZING!...In our experience everything was so great. We stayed in building 5 it was super clean & nice...the bed & pillows more comfy than our own @ home...super friendly helpful serving staff...loved Elsie @ Le Marche & Wendi & Teresa @ the Indonesian place...wow, Manuel & German from the pool... how could anyone not love it here...so much to do, best beach area (sand & water) i've ever seen I jogged every morning then we played all day & then moved to the beautiful pool the biggest ones i've seen, very clean everywhere, very lush & beautiful grounds, interesting wildlife, great nightlife, bands & shows, amazing drinks...the food was delicious just a little smaller portions than we're used to because we're active & get hungry so we just ordered extra & they always brought whatever we asked for with an "of course, absolutely" and a big smile... I can't say enough about how great this place was & what an awesome experience we had. We never left the resort because we loved it so much & were having so much fun...never bored, stayed 5 nights 6 days & didn't want to leave. If anyone could give this place a bad review they are either very gripy & nitpicky or just have bad luck that follows them...we traveled w/another couple & their experience was also wonderful & they had no complaints either. We are 45, 55, 58, & 65 years old but in shape & love to have fun. Funjet staff was super helpful & met us by saying our names out loud, reassuring!... we got to the beach around 9:30 - 10:30 & got a spot under the shade tiki's... important if you can't be in the sun all day...the waves were so fun the first 4 days but a little rough on day 5, like scary big & hard to swim or play...perfect weather until the day we were leaving it was rainy...will go here again for sure...I didn't use the spa so I can't rate...

Room Tip: tan before you go & take comfy shoes!
8 Thank blessedgirl45
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

We stayed at the Valentin 2 weeks this June. We are a dutch couple and been all around the world and not big complainers. We wanted to visit Mexico this year.
Mexico is great, love the country and the people!

The hotel, I knew it was huge but looked so pretty and romantic that we choose to book this resort. When we arrived it was more a booze hotel. To us it was a shame that there were so many drunk and loud people in the pool. The beach is amazing so we spend most of our time there.
The service of this hotel is great! Everybody is nice and helpful!

The food... not bad but really not so great either..even I suffered from food poisening from what I think was the salad in the buffet restaurant at lunch.
We called the hotel doctor, he was good but obviously after the tourist money. His first concern was how we were going to pay (credit card or cash). He wanted me to go to the hospital and scared me with all kinds of horror stories if I didnt. This will cost me 500,- dollars. I felt really sick but not like I was dieing or something. So he gave me a shot againts infections etc I felt better the next day but I didn't like to eat everything anymore.
The doctor asked me to come by his room the next day so we did and he tried to sell me some pills so it wouldnt happen again. He said I was probably not used to the mexicans spices.. Well I never had spices made me this sick before.

The grounds were very beautiful and well kept, everyday there were gardners at work! The pool though was old and in high need of maintenance.

We had a silver room, no spectaculair views but a really nice suite! The cleaning was also very good!

Overal a great holiday but for us the wrong hotel, next time we will go somewhere more relaxed and smaller.

Regards!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Passionfruit86
Fremont, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

Quick background on us: This was our 3rd AI experience - all in the Riviera Maya. Previously we stayed at the Iberostar complex, which is just south of VIM, but both times we stayed at the “children welcome” resorts. See reviews if interested….

GROUNDS

The resort itself is laid out pretty much like all of the AIs in the RM seem to be – big pool separating buildings on each side with beach at one end of the resort and lobby/restaurants at the other. There is walking, but unless you have physical issues its really not bad at all – in fact – enjoyable – at least for us (late 40s early 50s type folk). It’s a short ride from the airport (like 25 minutes max straight shot) which makes it easy in / easy out. The grounds are well maintained and very lush with vegetation. The wildlife was quite limited, which was kind of surprising because at the Iberostar complex there is wildlife EVERYWHERE. We saw a couple of coati during our 10 day stay – but that was about it. Well – not counting the iguana – which are pretty much everywhere…

ROOM

We stayed in the basic of basic – which they call Deluxe Junior Suite. For us the basic was just fine – but “suite” may be pushing the definition just a tad. It was slightly smaller in total square feet than the standard “room” we stayed in at both of the Iberostar resorts we visited, so I’m not sure what makes it a “suite”? But – when we go on vacation the room is where we plan to spend the least amount of time so we aren’t picky, and it certainly did the job. The AC was excellent for us. In fact (at least in our room) you could turn it down to the point that it was actually too cold. Some reviews on here have been critical of the AC – so maybe its hit and miss / building by building – don’t know – but ours was perfecto… The bed was quite comfy – no complaints at all. I travel with my own pillow, but my wife was very happy with the pillows they provided.

We were in Building 4, which for us was a great building. It is right at the top of the pool, so it is convenient to the pool/beach, but also the lobby/restaurant area…

MAID SERVICE

OK – this is most likely a case-by-case basis (maybe), but this was sub-par – at least compared to our previous two experiences down there. The room “cleaning” for us was always late in the day – if at all. We had two days where they didn’t come at all (bed not made – no fresh towels) and we had to call. I will say that when I called and said we really didn’t want a room “cleaning” – just fresh towels – they came with new towels within 15 minutes or so. The sun is HOT down there and I didn’t use enough sunscreen (my bad) – so my shoulders got burned. After 4 days or so my wife was picking me like a monkey and the dead skin went on the floor (I know – GROSS – sorry for the picture!). Unfortunately the skin lived on for the rest or our trip (6 days) as a constant reminder that the floor was NOT getting vacuumed. Still – in summary – below par – but – I wouldn’t NOT RECOMMEND this place based on our experience – to be sure…

STAFF

I think this experience depends a LOT on how much you interact with them. If you meet them and learn their names and talk to them every day they will certainly take an interest in you and greet you on a daily basis. At Iberostar I did feel like they made more of an effort to get to know each guest and we enjoyed the staff at IB a lot more. With that said – I think the staff in general was just fine – we never encountered rudeness from anyone and the employees that are required to interact with the guests speak English quite well. We spent most of our time at the pool, and although most of the time we just went to one of the pool bars to get our drinks, they did have drink service and it was excellent when we were there.

FOOD

Its an ALL INCLUSIVE! If you think you are going to receive the same food you get in the finest restaurant you are from – then STAY HOME and STOP COMPLAINING! I’m sorry – but – after reading all of the negative food reviews for not only this resort – but pretty much ALL OF THEM – I’m thinking WHAT? Seriously – if you are going to an all-inclusive resort you are going to get all-inclusive food. If I were you – I would ignore ALL food reviews (except mine!) because its such a personal thing. For us the food was about the same as we got at Iberostar – meaning – some quite good – some – not so quite good – but ALL quite edible! We were at VIM for 10 days so we ate at all of the restaurants and did the Mexican Night in La Plaza. I had one bad experience – just not what I had in mind – but – in the same restaurant – my wife had a good experience. Food summary: Its all-inclusive food but very respectable. We ate at La Marche every morning for breakfast and that was the best – good selection and eggs to order / omelet station.

DRINKS

We aren’t big drinkers (except on vacation!) so I’m thinking my review on the food applies here as well. If you drink nothing but the best for whatever reason – then – maybe an AI isn’t for you. If you just want to hang in the sun and get a buzz on whilst doing so (which we definitely DID!) then you will be super happy here. From other reviews, you can get a “double” shot if you need it – but – the “single” shot drinks we got were just fine for us. Also – if you don’t want to be ONE OF THEM – you may want to stick with the single shot drinks since the drinking begins EARLY and lasts UNTIL YOU CAN’T DO NO MORE! But seriously – drinks were super fine and we enjoyed getting buzzed and doing the pool walk – which brings us TO….

POOL

BEST pool we have been to so far… What I REALLY liked about it was the fact that it is all connected – meaning its just one giant pool. At Iberostar (Lindo – our favorite IB so far) the pool is giant, but it is broken up by physical barriers (wave pool, sport pool, activity pool, quiet pool) so you can’t do a “pool walk / tour”. Every day my wife and I did multiple “pool walks” which included stops at not only the pool bars, but also the Jacuzzis. It is a GREAT pool…. Now – the only downer is that the pool is lined with a gazillion little tiles. Unfortunately – the tiles seem to be falling off EVERYWHERE. You can see them at the bottom of the pool and you can see them just laying up on the pool deck. Its kind of sad – because that it is the ONLY thing that prevents the pool from being the BEST of the BEST. But still – once again – its definitely NOT something that would sway us from returning – its just the way it is….

BRING A FLOATIE!

BEACH

Great beach. Per the other reviews there are rocks on the south side of the resort, but there is a TON of beachfront that is totally rock free. Like I said we are more pool people, but every day our routine took us down to the beach around 9:30AM. We enjoy the waves and every day went body surfing from 9:30 till the beach bar opened (10) and it was a blast. Most days when we were there were “red flag” days – but that is actually the best body surfing times. At no time on a “red flag” day did we feel unsafe in the water. No undertow that an adult would have any kind of problem with – just GREAT waves. We were HOPING for red flag days when we were there – yellow flag days were kind of lame (for us). As I learned from other reviews – there are tons of fish there that want to be fed. I will try to upload a video of that, but if that doesn’t work – I’m telling you right now – bring bread down to the beach with you. It was REALLY cool!!! Once we did it one time, my wife couldn’t get enough – which is why the beach became part of our routine. If you bring a roll or two from breakfast with you and drop a piece in the water (EVEN IF YOU DON’T SEE ANY FISH) – you will have – I don’t know – maybe a HUNDRED fish around you in seconds. After that, they will eat out of your hand! They have no teeth so it may seem weird or feel weird at first – DO IT – it is REALLY COOL!

ENTERTAINMENT

Mixed reviews on this one… There were a couple of good shows that we saw in the theater… Unfortunately – and I think their website touts this – there is NO air conditioning!!! At Iberostar the theaters are (except Grand) open air – so you expect that – but – I’m pretty sure VIM says their theater is “air conditioned”… Either I have my facts wrong on this one – or they misrepresent – either way – it is HOT – in the theater… Be prepared to SWEAT!

BOOKING

OK – for my first trip we had no idea so I just went to a travel agent and ended up booking with them. I found out after that I didn’t get the best deal… I have since booked with Expedia – which is no recommendation for them whatsoever – trust me – I have no affiliation with them or anyone else. My point is – take your time (and it takes A LOT) – and check LOTS of different sites out. I have found that prices vary all over the place – but NEVER – book through the resort’s site – ALWAYS way more expensive then you will get elsewhere. Not sure what else to say here – other than to spend time and look at a lot of different sites – it will be time well spent….

Also – and I have no data to back up anything I’m about to say – but it seemed that booking SOONER rather than LATER was better for us… When I booked VIM (5 months ahead of time) the price was too good to pass up. I kept an eye on it all the way up until we left and it never got better – only worse…. The week before we left the price was more than DOUBLE what I had paid – which I found interesting – thinking the price would go down the closer we got since the resort would be trying to fill up? I guess not – at least in that case – but the airline price is a BIG part of the whole “package” and who knows what controls their price scale – so – just keep looking at MANY different sites and when you feel comfortable – JUMP IN!

NEGATIVES

OK – so – here is the ONLY negative thing I found… I don’t like to open with the negative because that’s wrong (for me) and that isn’t how my wife and I think… BUT – the one thing that WE didn’t like was the “towel game”… We had been to Iberostar twice before and I had no idea what the “towel game” even was – seriously… But I had read the other reviews before I went so we were prepared… SO – based on OUR experience (we were there 4/30 – 5/10) the towel game IS in full effect. It kind of sucks – but – if you are aware of it and don’t mind playing then this isn’t a negative at all. On our first morning we ate breakfast at 7:15 then changed and went to the pool – got there around 8 or so and got good spots were available “on the pool” – meaning around the pool – but NO shade. If you want a spot around the pool (based on our experience) you can get one rather easily – but – I would get there by 9 for sure. Now – we were in the top part of the pool, which is closest to the activities – and – those spots seemed to go first. The lower end of the pool (closest to the beach) is the “quiet” end and it seemed like those “reserved” last.

HOWEVER – and this is consistent with other reviews – MOST of the shaded spots go REALLY EARLY! We found our “spot” on day one and ended up staying in that spot for most of the week. So with that said – we got to meet and ENJOY all of the people that were also “reserving” that area during our stay. After talking with them we found that they were all reserving TWO spots – one on the pool – and one under the palapas by the pool (shaded area). Now – does that seem selfish? YES! BUT – since we enjoyed their company so much and none of them seemed like “selfish” people – I started to think – they were just playing the game as presented to them….

SO…. If you go – think “outside” your “normal” box – meaning (I would like to hope) that MOST people wouldn’t do that as part of their day-to-day existence… But they do (seemingly) – on vacation – SO – PARTICIPATE – and be happy about it! We started “reserving” shade on day 5 or so after we (OK ME) had been burned and we (OK MY WIFE) decided we needed shade. She went down around 6AM – and got the last two spots (in our area) – so – yeah – people are RESERVING EARLY….

CONCLUSION

Would we stay again? For us- probably NOT. If you can get a REALLY good price – which we did – then – YES – for sure… If we go back to that area again – we will probably go back to Iberostar. They definitely seem to have better customer service in general and entertainment overall… The Iberostar Grand (adults only) is WAY better (read the reviews) than VIM… For us – we would go to Iberostar Lindo (maybe Grand if the price was right) before we went back to VIM. But we have always traveled to Iberostar in the past when children are in school so when we went to IB it was almost an “adults only” anyways…

Please feel free to ask any questions about VIM or Iberostar… This is a GREAT site and I have asked MANY questions / received answers from folks like you and me as I prepared / was investigating possible places to vacation….

Room Tip: Building 4 - halfway between beach and lobby...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
32 Thank srlbjl
DECORAH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

It is hard to find a perfect resort on the Riviera Maya that will satisfy everybody. We have stayed at Secrets Maroma, Grand Sirenis, the Casitas at the ElDorado Royal, and most recently the Valentin Imperial. When it comes to which resort to choose when going to the Cancun area of Mexico, it is solely up to your personal preferences. The Valentin has a nice mixture of what I liked at the other resorts. Secrets Has the best beach hands down, however the Valentin is just about as nice. The ElDorado Royal's beach is not the greatest I've seen. I thought the Grand Sirenis had nicest pools till I stayed at the Valentin. The Valentin has 2 HUGE beautiful pools that can accomodate everyone without the feeling of being overcrowded. The food at the ElDorado Royal is the best, but the Valentin was very good. especially the breakfast at Le Marche, and lunch at the Mar and Tierra. Cleanliness is very important to me. The Valentin is very clean, the employees are constantly cleaning. The landscape and vegetation at this resort is very lush and beautiful, I found myself taking more pictures on this vacation than ever before. We did not have any major problems with any staff. Everyone was very polite, even though they seemed overworked with the amount of guests per workers. Two employees that I would like to mention are, Elsie at the Le Marche breakfast buffet, and Gener at the Mar and Tierra lunch buffet. They went above and beyond to make our stay more enjoyable. Price may also be a major factor in which resort to choose. The Valentin(Emerald Suite) is very reasonable compared to the ELDorado Royal(Casita Suite), or Secrets Maroma(Swim-up Suite). Maybe half as much!!!! You may not get chocolate covered strawberries, or an aromatherapy bubble bath everyday at the Valentin, but if you factor in all of the good things at the Valentin you should have a wonderful vacation. I will upload some photos later.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
14 Thank SHELLY1004
Salem, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

I will have to say this resort was fantastic. It was so relaxing and peaceful. We were there the week of May 27 through June 4.

The resort was very clean, the people were so friendly (especially Gilberto), he took such good care of us for breakfast and lunch almost everyday. Our rooms were amazing. The beds were very comfortable. They always cleaned our rooms and left fresh towels and such. If they ever forgot anything they would have no problems getting it for you.

The food was very good. I am a pretty picky eater, and I had nothing to complain about. I loved the Italian food, (but that is my favorite). There were a couple things I wasn't crazy about, but that was just my taste. Everyone else in my group thought the food was very good also.

The beach and pool was always clean and we never had trouble getting a spot. One day there was a couple of topless girls at the pool but that they made put their tops back on, so they were looking out for other guests.

I would go back in a heartbeat! It was a fantastic week, and I miss it so much.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank kraftykathy
ManagerQC, Manager at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
Dear guest,

On behalf Valentin Imperial Maya staff we would like to thank you for your preference by choosing us; our main goal is to assure the entire satisfaction of our guests.

We would like to thank your having taken the time to express your kind comments over your stay at the hotel and we are so glad to realize that we have exceeded your expectations.

At the Valentin Imperial Maya we take our client’s comments seriously and being our purpose to be a leader in the hospitality industry we are constantly using them to exceed your expectations.

We would love to have the pleasure of seeing you as a regular guest so that way we will be able to demonstrate you our continue desire to better serve all our guests.

We look forward to be able to serving you again soon and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Secreto
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#55 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,836 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,857 reviews
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#34 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,957 reviews

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!