ParkLife Hostel Popayan
Travelocity
$58
$56
$48
Hotel Popayan Inn(Popayan)(Great Value!)
$24
Priceline
Hotel Villa Blanca(Popayan)(Great Value!)
$22
Hotels.com
All reviewsthe kitchengreat locationoverlooking the main squarecommon areasattic roomnice terracesan agustinsemana santaplace to stayuseful informationnice placethe busbeautiful cityrooms are cleanold housedecent sizea great stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Well I was recommended parklife a few times too but I have to say I just don't get all the fuss (maybe I've been lucky elsewhere and I've been travelling a long time). It's true, the guys are very helpful and the location is cool, right on Parque Ceras! I got a perfect view of a traditional catholic parade and the Sunday morning I was up for an early start and had my spirits lifted by hyms coming from the cathedral. They play descent movies every night at 9 (it's shame they don't post it earlier so you can plan around the ones you actually want to see)
But... the wifi was probably the worst I've had in 8 months travelling. Every door and floor board creaks. Beds are a bit small and not very comfortable. Showers are average. And the rules/signage written in hand with a red marker put up with tape all over the place make you feel like you are in your 1st share house when you leave home.
My review is a little negative but between stays at La Serrena and Casa de Francois it failed to impress.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This hostel was already recommended to me in quito. And as soon as I entered the door I couldn't stop smiling - this place is just wonderful. It immediately felt like home, which is partly because of the warmth of the old building but mainly due to the kindness and charm of the owners and staff. And not to forget the location. Right next to the cathedral at parque caldas, which is one of the nicest and liveliest parks I've seen in colombia.

I stayed in a dorm. The price was fair and the room was good. You will only need it for sleeping anyway, as there is a wonderful hangout area under a glass roof, a kitchen and a tv/dvd room. Ask at the reception for good bars, and make sure to meet Augustin, the owner of el sotareño, to listen to old argentinian tango music.

I can only agree with everyone that the staff is very knowledgeable about popayan and the surroundings. I was always helped with every issue or question I had. And I had a lot of them. And finally a big thank you to all the staff for looking so kindly after me when I received bad news from home.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed October 6, 2012

as everybody says, the best of this hostel is the staff...we could only meet 2 of the owners and they were very nice, they treat you like a friend from the first minute you check in and will give you tips on any question you have, restaurants, shops, doctors, buses...the location is great, right in the main square and close to restaurants and markets, kitchen has anything you need to cook and the tv room with the playstation is a plus if you want to relax...the common area is also a good place to crush out.
the place is very clean and comfy and i loved to find out they had drawers under the beds to keep your things (glasses owners will really really love this idea!)
the only reasons i didn´t rate this place with a five is the open wall of the dorm i slept in (it gets quite noisy at night or morning if people are in the common areas), but i know they are planning to close it soon...also the brightness of the room due to the light curtains could be a problem for some people so if you need to sleep till late i guess is better to choose the small dorm without windows
if i come back to popayan i will always come back to park life hostel, highly recomended!
thanks borja and kieran(??) for such a nice time at your "home"

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights and then returned for another 2 nights on our way back down through Colombia. The nicest rooms are those with views over the square. The bathrooms are cleaned regularly which you only share with another couple of rooms. The only thing which could be improved was the showers. They were the usual electric showers you find in Colombia and I assume it would be pretty difficult to put powerful showers in such a lovely old building. We also stayed in the dorm for 2 nights and these were nice, a bit dark, but pretty roomy. The laundry service is good vfm and the facilities in the hostel (tv/ dvd room, Kitchen. common area etc) are good. Kieron was particularly helpful (info on climbing) and all the staff were nice and friendly. Massive thumbs up.

Room Tip: The rooms with the massive windows over looking the square and the nicest.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

With no plan of where to stay for the night we quite literally fell upon Park Life thanks to some fellow travellers. Late at night, tired from a long days travel from Ecuador one of the three owners, a friendly Spaniard showed us to a clean, freshly painted double room overlooking the main square. Next day we were to discover what a gem of a hostel it was. Run and owned by a Irishman, Spaniard and a Romanian (there has to be a joke in there somewhere), this hostel has the touch of someone who truly cares about your experience as a traveller. The rooms are freshly painted throughout, dorm beds are large and spacious and double rooms are almost romantic set overlooking the plaza. Two large but friendly common areas as well as a large kitchen make this hostel but it's really the friendly hosts that provide the cherry on top. All three owners spent time with us giving us invaluable tips about Colombia (including the Ryanair style Viva Colombia for low cost flights around Colombia for travellers who are weather beaten with long bus rides up & down the continent). The bathrooms are clean but old and use the electric showers with one tap that you get from time to time in South America. They're fine and feed out hot water but would ideally be replaced. One of my favourite hostels in 3 months of travelling South America.

• Stayed: September 2012