All reviews la casa de barro sacred valley lomo saltado ceviche day tour two nights moray chicha ruins peru
Selected filters
Reviewed November 6, 2018

We went there with a party of twelve, with menu selected in advance from a very short and simple list (lomo saltado, bife, pechuga de pollo, pig), nothing complicated. Everything was overcooked. Nobody out of the twelve in the party was satisfied with the meal. This was the lowest quality food we got compared to all the other places we had dinner in the Sacred Valley area. Certainly below the great peruvian gastronomical standards.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights in Chinchero at the lodge. Delicious meals of grilled trout, trigo. I am told the owner spent time as a chef in Italy. Cute rooms with views of beautiful garden and mountains. Climate is cold so be prepared for that. Breakfast included.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed June 27, 2018

This restaurant is right off of the main drag in the middle of Chinchero. It is beautifully appointed, with plenty of seating. We arrived for a late lunch and were virtually the only people in the restaurant. Everyone's order came out quickly and the food was tasty. The view out the window was soothing as we were overlooking a hillside garden. Over all it was a pleasant experience. My only complaints have to do with our beverages. I had ordered the "limonada helada", which means iced lemonade, but instead received a hot water and lemon mixture with mint in it. It was yummy, but when I explained the error to the server, he told me that the concoction he served me was what I ordered. My travel companion had a Pisco sour, and was surprised to learn that the price was nearly double what she had been paying throughout our trip, which was disappointing. Other than that, it was a nice break from our travels that day.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed January 10, 2018

La Casa de Barro sits on a plateau that is the most beautiful on the planet! I've traveled and lived in almost 80 countries world-wide and I'm truly convinced this part of Peru ranks at the top, in physical beauty. It is too large the list of virtues of the location, just get there, you won't regreat it. With few places to stay (with average comfort) in Chinchero, this lodge is BY FAR the most charming. The owner, Ricardo, puts great emphasis in a menu of Peruvian "standards", but who cares . . . we know almost ALL Peruvian food is exceptional. The "quasi-peruvian" stuff served say in NYC pales in comparison with what his Chefs deliver! I've seen foreigners so "hooked" on Causa, Seco or a basic Lomo, literally, drooling in anticipation! Heating in the winter-time is the only issue not resolved yet. Although not a big one since it is cold everywhere else on this area. Cusco got irreversibly spoiled and it is no longer that wonderful city of the past (30 years ago) Now it is just another andean chaotic mess! In our last visits we've decided to skip Cusco altogether and grab a taxi from the airport straight to la Casa de Barro!

Room tip: Second floor, rooms facing East.
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank puroc851
Reviewed November 28, 2017

What a great place to stay in this untouristy little town! The family that owns and runs the place is wonderful and makes satisfying meals for guests in the lovely dining room (we had breakfast and dinner). Our room was upstairs from the front entry, and it was comfortable and quiet. We did need a space heater for the night, as it was chilly at this high elevation, but that was fine. The bathroom was clean and nice, with a tub and shower. The grounds were lovely, and the whole place felt relaxing. I definitely recommend it.

Date of stay: September 2017