“Unpleasant experience, but lovely surroundings”
Review of Arowhon Pines

Arowhon Pines
Reviewed July 31, 2013

A couple of years ago, we booked the first few days of our honeymoon at Arrowhon. We arrived to find out there was a mix up of dates somehow and they thought we should have been there a day earlier. There was no extending our stay and they certainly were completely unwilling to refund any portion of a very expensive visit. They were unpleasant and unfriendly about the whole thing. It tainted the experience for us. Also friends sent us a cheese plate on the patio - nice thought. Except that it arrived as about 4 tiny little slices of cheese for an exorbitant price. The whole atmosphere is entitled - they cater to Europeans who come for a Canadian experience and will pay very high prices. I was very disappointed by the whole experience, especially since it was our honeymoon. I would have expected more polite treatment with at least an effort to try to do something special for our honeymoon (nothing) or somehow make up for the mistake (which I think was their mistake not ours). What happened to the customer is first?

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank wsb201
There are newer reviews for Arowhon Pines

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Our family has stayed at the AP for many years, usually for 3 nights. That was the case last week, but first we stayed at the Bartlett Lodge, a small hotel on Cache Lake, only a few km from the entrance road to AP. This was our first experience at the Bartlett Lodge, and we enjoyed it very much. (Separately reviewed.)

The experience gave us a basis for comparison and AP fared well. Both are highly recommended. The lakes are different, in that Little Joe is quieter, with far less motor traffic and much further from the 60. Both lakes offered superb swimming and canoeing.

The differences: the hospitality at Bartlett Lodge is unrivaled anywhere, in our experience. Over the years, AP has improved substantially and this year, service was first rate, especially when the resort lost power for 36 hours. Food at both is superb. Facilities: AP gets the nod as to rooms, with a bit more space, but maid service was faultless in both. Boats of varying types are available, indistinguishable from our perspective. Dining room at AP is unique and endlessly appealing. Search the world for something more charming (Hotel Del Coronado: much too large and commercial, but worth a visit).

Stop at both of these resorts and give them each a few days. Hike, swim, canoe, read books, forget screens (except on windows and doors and maybe - if you can stay away from the rest - just to read a good book without interruption). Listen for the loon.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Richard R
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We got married at Arowhon on June 29th 2013. When I arrived at my ceremony by limousine that afternoon, I found nothing but chaos at the resort. First of all the resort e-mails me the day before the wedding wondering what I wanted served for the appetizers, this did bother me as this issue should of already been dealt with weeks prior to the wedding.
When I did arrive, I was a very prompt bride and I arrived to realize chaos as all my guests did not know where to go because there were no chairs set up. And someone from the resort misguided my guest to the Arowhon games room, which I specifically said in my e-mail to Theresa I did not want the ceremony in the games room no matter what. I recall and have that e-mail saved still that "if it should rain, I wanted the ceremony on the veranda". So I feel that someone took it upon themselves to decide where I get married. I waited in our limousine for 35 minutes to attend my ceremony. All due to they had to set up the chairs, and they didn't even set up enough chairs. I had guests that were standing and that was not suppose to happen.
We also provided our guest wine for the dinner. At the dinner I realized our wine was not on our tables, I asked a gentleman who worked for the dinning room where our wine was for the tables, he finds it under our guest book table. I thought they would of at least have it chilled for us, but no.
To end this note. At our very first meeting with Theresa, Sterling my husband addressed the issue that his father can't walk for far as he has breathing problems. Theresa did say they would have a golf cart to drive him from parking lot to ceremony area, that did not happen as when I arrived I saw him walking back and forth like all the rest of my guest were doing, he has COPD and I thought he was gonna drop. But even if they did have a golf cart for him to ride on, there were still no chairs set up for him to sit on anyways.
Unfortunately I found the set up poorly planned and very unorganized, its very unfortunate as it was suppose to be our special day...overall I thank my guests for it was them that made the day so special and a day we will never forget.
Leeann and Sterling

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Leeann M
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Rustic and luxurious at the same time - a uniquely Algonquin experience. We just returned from four wonderful days 'vacation at Arowhon Pines. We had the basic room accommodation, which was clean and adequate, because we spent most of the time outdoors. Lovely view over the water. No cell phone reception, put that blackberry away and enjoyed the peace and quiet. Abundant canoes to meander through the pristine lakes surrounding the resort - we even saw a bull moose having a swim nearby. The food was outstanding. When we went on a day canoe trip, we were treated to a delicious picnic lunch. There is no liquor for sale, but we brought our own wine to dinner, and staff happily uncorked it and served it to us. And the service was genuinely friendly and professional. While the daily rate is high, everything is "first class" and we liked that there were no hidden /additional charges whatsoever. The place was quite full, but there was enough room and amenities for everyone. No reservations necessary for meals, no dress code, no organized activities - truly Algonquin unplugged. The only nightly "entertainment" was a movie in the understated games room, and a live concert from the frogs and the loon. What a wonderful break from city stress. We will be back, but hopefully at a time when the mosquitoes and deer flies have gone away!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with cross ventilation for those warm summer nights - no air conditioning availabl...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vacationer0052
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I’ve just returned from another wonderful week at Arowhon Pines, where perfection is the watchword, where attention to detail is evident at all levels, from the renovations to the desire for guest input, to the lovingly prepared food to the friendly housekeeping staff, to the hardworking kitchen and dining room staff; to the groundskeepers and maintenance men, whose invisible presence is felt in all the beauty, cleanliness and perfection around the property. Everything is done on time, with minimal dispatch, which indicates a lot of planning and organizing in the background to make everything run like a well-oiled machine. Nothing is too much trouble for the approachable yet unobtrusive staff. I ate well, slept well, played well and worked well; advancing my writing projects beyond my wildest dreams. Heaven couldn’t be more beautiful or more perfect This was my second one-week stay and coming back was like coming home! I intend to make it an annual pilgrimage for rest, rejuvenation and restoration. Thank you to Theresa, Adam, David and Edward for your effective, tireless leadership. I didn’t think you could improve on perfection, but you’ve done it again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SusanG263
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Another wedding at beautiful Arowhon Pines this spring. How friendly, helpful and happy the staff is. The service was scheduled for the beach area and because of the rain, the staff sprung into action and placed the service on their beautiful large veranda. Little fuss and the cocktail hour which was supposed to be on the veranda, got moved indoor to a private games room. Again, the staff just went with the flow. Thank you Theresa and Adam for making this all possible. Wonderful spot, fantastic food and to be spoiled as an Officiant and guest, was beyond belief.
Ellen Duncan Government Licenced Marriage Officiant for All Seasons Weddings

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We didn't know what to expect, but it certainly exceeded anything we could have imagined. This beautiful property is located in Algonquin Park and is a world away from the stress and noise of our 'normal' lives. We were a little surprised to find out that there is no cell phone connection, but there are pay phones and a guest computer with Internet (albeit slow) for those diehard need to be connected people. After the first day, we gave up and gave into the peacefulness and serenity of the location.

The food is awesome. We took wine (they are not licensed) and paired it with the meals. The food is fresh, delicious, locally sourced where possible and there's lots of variety. The service is excellent and friendly.

We canoed (lots of places to go and you can ask for a packed lunch for the day) and kiyacked. The trails were wet so we didn't walk much. We read, ate and relaxed. We slept really well. Loved the call of the loons and the sunlight on the water.

Not really a 'kid-friendly' place as there is no beach or children's program, but the few that were there were well-behaved and seem to be having a good time with their parents.

We plan to go back next year, it's too good to not return again and again.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the lake, and bring your own pillows (my only complaint).
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dwight Village Motel
#2 of 5 in Dwight
The Lake of Bays Lodge
Lakewoods Cottage Resort

Been to Arowhon Pines? Share your experiences!