“Cordon bleu dining in the wilds of Algonquin Park country”
Review of Arowhon Pines

and 1 more site!
Arowhon Pines
Toronto, Canada
“Cordon bleu dining in the wilds of Algonquin Park country”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

World-famous nature preserve, world-class dining. Essentially, this is summer camp for adults in the heart of Canada's north Ontario woodland. Accommodation is Spartan but comfortable: log cabins with private rooms and bathrooms sharing comfortable lounges, well-stocked libraries, stone fireplaces. The atmosphere of the place is deeply peaceful, Walden Pondesque, possibly a little quiet for families with rambunctious teens, but the canoeing is excellent -- the location on Joe Lake gives easy access to a constellation of superb lakes and swimming spots. There is a big games room for rainy days, tennis is adequate, and there is a good dry sauna.

Dining in the central hall -- described in the resort's promo literature as a 'six-sided log teepee" -- there is a massive stone fireplace three stories high in the hall's center-- is hearty, healthy, made fresh from local produce, and always inventive. Superbly prepared dishes of Lake Huron whitefish, salmon, smoked trout, venison. Take coffee and dessert on the wrap around verandah overlooking the lake.

Room Tip: Great discounts if you book in the off season (June, late fall)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank danD04

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My wife and I discovered this oasis few years ago and we wanted to go there this year for our aniversary.
Peacefull place, great food.
Hummingbirds were bonus!
Too bad not enough customers so it is worth for them to keep it open year round! Christmas there will be perfect!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gtandea
Reviewed July 3, 2012

It's hard to find words to do justice to Arowhon Pines. It's easy to say what it's not. It's the opposite of garish, posh, pretentious, glitzy, or even up-to-date. There's no TV, radio, wi-fi, or fitness club. Once you leave Highway 60 and turn on to the 8 km road to Arowhon, you leave the contemporary urban world behind. Arowhon is about being very well taken care of, in a friendly respectful non-intrusive way, in a gorgeous wilderness setting, with modest but extremely comfortable cabins on the edge of a very private lake in the midst of the vastness of Algonquin Park.

The dining room is a rustic culinary cathedral. The menu changes daily and there are choices to please every taste and even those on special diets, such as vegans,are as happy as the omnivores.When we were there dinners included everything from venison to lobster bisque to smoked ham. Breakfasts and lunch were equally all-encompassing. And the desserts are to die for.

Arowhon Pines is a place to canoe, kayak, play tennis, hike, swim, read, relax on the dock or the dining room verandah. Nature and silence surround you. It's a hard place to leave because once you're in heaven who wants to head back to earth? Yet the experience of Arowhon is both transcendental and grounded.

Expensive? Yes. But you get what you pay for (which includes not getting what you pay for at other "resorts" which cater to the young and the restless). By the way, we observed children and teens at Arowhon who were very well behaved, and who were clearly enjoying the unplugged life and the healthy food. They seemed content. It's a family place, too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank davidschatzky
Huntsville, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2012

From the chef who gave me an excellent tour when I was essentially trespassing before the resort opened at the beginning of the season; to the office staff who rearranged rooms and brought in a desk, to give me the best possible space in which to work; to the bellman who met me at the car and called me by name before I called for baggage service, and then on the way home, met me at the car before I got it unlocked (how could he do that?!); to the dining staff who saved “my” table and were always ready with a personal anecdote as they cheerfully and expertly catered to my every request; to the housekeeper who snuck into my room to make and turn down my bed, mostly when I wasn’t there, which was a real feat, since I spent more time in my room than most guests!; to the kitchen staff who worked tirelessly and relentlessly behind the scenes to bring me more food than I would normally eat in a month, fresh and lovingly prepared, so it was hard to resist another bite!; to the groundskeepers who kept everything pristine and yet natural - a perfect blend in this perfect setting; to the captain of the boat cruise, who introduced me to parts of the area I hadn’t seen and installed and captured my imagination and a desire to do more reading about Tom Thompson; to the person at the top, who makes it all work together so smoothly . . . I want to say “thank you from the bottom of my heart” for an absolutely wonderful week! From start to finish, it was perfection upon perfection.

The staff I met were always friendly, open and helpful. The staff I didn’t meet obviously were dedicated to their jobs too, because this place runs like a well-oiled machine! I came to get some writing done, and this goal was achieved ahead of schedule, easily and effortlessly. This could never have happened without this peaceful setting combined with its excellent staff. The space couldn’t have served my needs better!

On a scale of 1:10, I give each and every aspect of my stay a “20”!

Room Tip: The view from my room "Bridgewood 20" was perfect for writing!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank SusanG263
Island of Gozo, Malta
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Discovered a few years back - stopping for lunch on our way back to Toronto.
To realize once home, that the place is well known in TO!
Went back last year for long Canadian (early October) Thanksgiving - enchanting: canoeing, long walks in forest adorned with its fall colours; even swimming (brrrr!)
Great food (only restaurant, located in main lodge, is not licensed - bring your own wine, which is great!)
Accomodation is OK - probably somewhat overpriced as compared to quality we have experienced elsewhere for that price...but the view and the surroundings!
Noticed a good bunch of (welcomed) foreigners - many Europeans...
Going back this year, towards the end of the summer.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christian S
ontario
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Fabulous meals in a gorgeous log dining room; delicious coffee, lemonade and scones while
relaxing on the stunning wrap-around dining room verandah right on the lake; waking up to the call of the loons and fog rolling off the lake: these are just some of the things we love about this resort. Lunch and dinner include a salad bar with dishes not commonly found in other restaurants, and a choice of three entrees - or, you can have all three if you wish!

We have been to Arowhon Pines about five times in the past ten years. A couple of management staff in the dining room could appear more cheerful. Helen, the owner, makes herself very present throughout the day.

Yes, the eight mile gravel road leading to the resort may not seem inviting, the cabins are rustic (but very clean) and the rates appear high, but it is worth every penny! BTW, we do like the music in the dining room...and the brass bell,calling all to eat, is charming.

We have stayed in many different types of accommodations around the world. Arowhon Pines is one of our favourite places!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank on-the-road-againX2
Toronto
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Just came back from 3 days, and had a great time - but not a great enough time to justify the price paid.

There's no question the location is great and the food is very good. However the service is just average, and rooms are definitely below average.

We enjoyed our time there, and it was a special occassion for my wife and me, but having stayed in many world class resorts and hotels over the years, I can say Arowhon Pines is not good value for the money.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dwight Village Motel
Dwight Village Motel
#2 of 4 in Dwight
Lakewoods Cottage Resort

Been to Arowhon Pines? Share your experiences!