“Great way to enjoy Algonquin Park”
Review of Bartlett Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Algonquin Provincial Park
Bartlett Lodge
Toronto
“Great way to enjoy Algonquin Park”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

My husband and I were first time guests at Bartlett Lodge at the end of June. We stayed two nights in the AY Jackson room. The room was lovely, and the screened-in porch is a nice touch. We paddled into Algonquin Park on three occasions using one of the Lodge's canoes. It is so beautiful and peaceful on the lake. We also hiked in Algonquin Park which was a highlight. The food at Bartlett Lodge was outstanding. Even having read all these positive reviews, I was blown away by the 5 course dinner. Breakfast was also delicious. The dining room itself is a bit challenged. It is quite hot, even with the overhead fans, so they need to work on getting a better cross breeze. I was thrilled not to be assaulted with aggressive air conditioning which I hate. We took a trip to peek at Bartlett's main competitors in Algoinquin Park and we were well satisfied with our choice to stay at Bartlett's. We loved the resort and my only tiny shred of disappointment which cannot be helped, is the fact that the parking lot is visible across the lake when you're sitting on Bartlett's dock. This is a far cry better, however, than the Highway which is practically in your backyard at one of the competing Lodges. We loved Bartlett's and will be back. P.S. They do make you aware that tips are not included but they kind of have to because you are not presented with any type of bill at breakfast or dinner - I did not feel any pressure to add a tip (we did tip). I think other reviewers are a bit hyper-sensitive on this point. It's optional, exercise your option as you see fit.

2 Thank RooneyToronto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Hungarian first
Webster, New York
Reviewed July 4, 2014

My fiancé and I stayed there just one night at the end of June 2014. She has been there a handful of times before with her family and she wanted me to experience the lodge first hand. They make you feel welcome from the boat ride over to the boat ride back. Our cabin was very clean and accommodating. Where this lodge separates itself from any other was the food and service. We had an amazing waitress who was funny and personable. When the food came, I was blown away by the variety and flavors of everything that was served. Breakfast was just as good! We highly recommend this place and we will return again next year for another fantastic meal!

1 Thank Ryan L
Bancroft, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I love summer for many reasons and one of them is Bartlett Lodge is open again. There is something about dressing up nicely for what you know will be a unique, delicious meal and having to get there in a freighter canoe. Pulling up to the island is always exciting. This year's chef is young and talented and the meal, as usual, was delightful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Colette F
Ventura, California
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We spent June 16th-17 & 18th at Bartlett Lodge. Our cabin was clean, comfortable and spacious. Breakfast and dinners were delicious and plentiful with excellent service. There are always canoe's and paddle boats available to row around the lake and we never waited more than 5-10 minutes for the water taxi to take us over to our car or bring us back. We saw 5 Moose during our stay including little ones, along with snapping turtles and beaver. The view of the lake is something to be seen, it's magnificent. This tranquil setting was only disturbed in the morning by trucks on highway 60 across the lake, there is a lot of roadwork being done in the park. Nights were quiet and we slept well. The entire staff at the lodge was most friendly and helpful. We'll be back.

1 Thank elwood-emily
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Bartlett Lodge is a truly special place. The environment around it is just amazing. During my stay we saw dozens of hummingbirds, chipmunks, even a moose! The lodging is exquisite. Our specific cabin had a lot of space and a great view of the lake. It is silent at night which means great sleeping! The best part was the food. The menu has such variety and whatever you order I can guarantee you that it will satisfy your tastes. Love everything about it and I want to come back!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Adam S
toronto
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We have yet to make a booking yet as dealing with them via email to inquire about packages and availability has taken me a month!
It takes them weeks to reply. I am already quite turned off and debating to go back to Killarney Lodge where service from reservation point to the stay was fantastic.
Thought we'd try something different and new @ Bartlett, however with the experience on trying to book....not sure if we want to risk getting there to encounter further lack of service as already pointed out by a few reviews!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jujubes13
Toronto
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This was my third trip to Bartlett lodge. I return because of the beautiful setting and the feeling of being close to nature. However, I really have to say that on all three visits I have found the same limitations: unfriendly office staff and limited vegetarian selections.

Re the staff - the servers are friendly but the office staff is a little strange. There is one woman there who is not very friendly at all and when you go to her with simple requests (like can someone help us turn on the heat) she seems a little put out at the request. This happened a few times. She even seemed annoyed once when I asked her for a boat ride to the other side even though we only went over once a day. We were two couples travelling together, staying in one cabin, and we arrived separately - she was annoyed that the boat had to come over twice upon our arrival that day to pick us up and told me on the phone when I first called for the boat to pick me up that our friends had arrived ten minutes earlier (we didn't know when they were arriving) and that we should have all coordinated better. Bizarre.

Re the vegetarian options - they forgot we were vegetarian and brought meat amuse bouches - and the choices became boring - no change in the menu so you end up eating the same things even when you tell them in advance. This was the same as my last two trips as well - they asked me in advance and then proceeded to have the same veg. entree three nights in a row.

The food is otherwise very good.

Re the gratuity - I have no problem tipping but I do find it strange that they make it so obvious to tip - either they should automatically include it or truly make it discretionary. It felt unsavoury to have a prominent sign on the cash register office telling me that gratuity is not included and then having them hand me a calculator to figure it out. In this case, I really didn't feel the service was that great re the food and the weird attitude of that one woman in the office, but I felt awkward expressing that at checkout and just tipped anyway.

I think this last trip to Bartlett might be my last. It's truly a beautiful setting and very unique, but the service was off and that has been my experience on all visits. I keep on hoping it will improve because it's such a beautiful place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Oxtongue Lake
Spring Lake Resort Motel and Restaurant
Lakewoods Cottage Resort
Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages

Been to Bartlett Lodge? Share your experiences!