“Do yourself favor don't go to Rock Lake”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Algonquin Provincial Park
Rock Lake Campground
Toronto, Canada
“Do yourself favor don't go to Rock Lake”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Folks, weekend out with 6 Families with children. When i booked online, the system allowed me to book all 6 families next to each other. NO COMPLAINTS.

We have very small children and chose to go camping so that kids can learn other side.

unfortunately, Park rangers had racial profiled us. On the first day, We were warned that we shouldn't torch light at raccoon . one of the kid put the light on raccoon and some next door guy complaint. Not just that, she came and told us not to book their campground ever again if we were to go large group (then why the system allowed me to book it?).
Next day morning, another guy's dog chased the raccoon no one came . Even the dog that belongs to 'certain' people is NOT a problem but kid belongs to certain people is more trouble for these people.

I wish we get 'good' treatment like raccoon.

Our government must do more than enough to teach these folks 'cultural' sensitiveness and there are 'different' type of people. Government too busy bragging about their diversity plans while these parks and other area are still not 'tolerance' enough towards other ethnic groups.

We were given frequent visits by rangers and warned for noise (it is not like we were bunch of guys were drinking..we were families of kids and they don't go to sleep exactly like home, what is the point if we want to live same life again in camp ground?)
Their repeated warnings and visits made us feel like we were in detention camp in a community state.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Rav S

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My family and 5 other families went to Rock Lake camp site from July 18th to July 21st, 2013.

At 9 o'clock the camp site warden came and said the children are noisy. The families had children between the age of 1 to 10. Because of the warden we couldn't let our children play in the camp site and restrict their fun time.

Then by 10 o'clock we were told that we need to pack up and sleep because others are sleeping. We work hard all year and went to the camp site to have some fun and give jungle like feeling to our children. But the site warden wanted the sites to be quieter than a classroom.

Also, the warden threatened us many times that she would give a ticket if we don't listen to her. She was very rude and I was surprised a group of family oriented people with little children were treated like this.

On the 19th of July, we had a severe thunderstorm from the morning till 4.00 pm, so started cooking late. The warden yelled at us for cooking late. When I went to this camp site, I never knew there these kind of restrictions.

My fellow campers, if you want to go for camping, don't even consider Algonquin park Rock Lake site.

10 Thank Vijay S
Brantford, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2007

21 years ago I spent an unforgettable two weeks at Rock Lake with my family and friends. Now that I've grown up and have a family of my own, I decided to lead them to Rock Lake to recapture some of those memories. As much as I feared that I would face disappointment, I was pleasantly surprised. After all those years, nothing has changed. Rock Lake is beautiful, clean and fun. Our camping space was private, spacious and right on the waterfront. We canoed directly out of our spot and spent time visiting nearby islands for swimming, picnicing and fishing. The Rock hiking trail is challenging yet offers breathtaking views of the lake.

Some advice:
Book at campground "B"...much quieter than "A"
Book your spot 6 months in advance if possible.
Beware of racoons. They can open zippers of tents and open breadboxes.

21 Thank kang_a_ji
#5 of 6 in Whitney
Rock Lake Lodge
Rock Lake Lodge
#1 of 1 in Rock Lake

Been to Rock Lake Campground? Share your experiences!