“Always great options”

Killarney Lodge Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The chef here has a fairly limited range, but what she does well, she does amazingly. The red meat option is always exceptional, and a lobster dinner was mouthwatering, but a veggie canalone was flavourless. For dessert, their pecan pie and brownie are both beyond words (in a great way) but ther lemon meringue pie, which is hard to mess up, was neither sweet nor sour - just watery tasting. Lunches are more casual, but generally just as good. For breakfast, don't pass by the apple-stuffed French toast. Restaurant is BYOB but very accommodating. Overall, a great place with a relaxed, peaceful atmosphere (serving staff are very attentive and personable) - just choose carefully. If in doubt, embrace your inner carnivore.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

We were camping in a tent at Coon Lake in Algonquin Park during the week of our anniversary. We decided that since it was a milestone anniversary we wanted to do a special dinner to celebrate. We were a little worried about cleaning up after our muddy camping experience but we cleaned up and off we went. We had to go to the first seating for dinner since the second seating is reserved for people staying at the resort there. The dining room was quaint, log cabin style with beautiful gardens and rustic touches. We are not from the Toronto area so the prices here were higher than we would pay normally. It is a prix fixe dinner but an appetizer, a main course (four choices), a dessert and coffee were included. The meal was phenomenal. I had prime rib that was" melt in your mouth" good! The dessert I devoured was pecan pie, and they say it is the best anywhere, and I agree! The food was plentiful, cooked to perfection and served in an atmosphere that is hard to beat, with loons floating on the lake outside. Before dinner we were invited to bring a bottle of wine, (no corkage fee), and to enjoy the view of the lake from the dock, which we did and thoroughly relaxed. We returned there after dinner as well to watch loons. On the way home to our campsite we saw a young moose eating along the highway in a marsh. It was a perfect night. If you are used to elegant dining maybe you might find this to be a little less than a fine dining experience. We are not pretentious. We are average people and our dinner at Killarney Lodge was incredibly memorable, pleasurable and delicious!

2  Thank MmeMinou
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Algonquin Park is a wonderful setting - a great place to stop and eat. This last trip to Killarney was a real disappointment. Having eaten at the lodge a couple times, I know what to expect. Previous visits, the food and service was first rate, and our friends all felt it was worth the price. There was no apprehension or hesitation to pay the bill. This recent meal was not the case. In fact our entire table was shocked at what we were being served. Second rate portions and unexceptional plates. Not worth what we paid.

1  Thank YvonneS991
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I guess the food might not be too bad, but the price is so prohibitive for what it is - a lodge that has slowly slipped into a shadow of its former self...we are always so put off by the price that we tend not to go anymore. I know if you stay at the Lodge, meals are included, but again, just to rich for our blood, especially considering the value to pleasure ratio....

1  Thank BonEva_12
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The setting of this Algonquin Park Lodge is ruined by its proximity to the highway. You can see and hear the traffic. Also the food in the restaurant was mediocre and too many tables in the room made it crowded. The floor shook when the servers walked by and it was a big distraction having the kitchen door swing noisily each time a server enter the small dining room. Overall, this was overpriced and overrated and I would recommend Arrowhon to a visitor to the Park. I will also check out Bartlett later this summer. I will not be going back to Killarney Lodge. OK--this is small, but I love my morning coffee and the coffee was terrible! Had to stop in Wilno for a Cappuccino at the Red Canoe Cafe for my morning caffeine fix. Sorry to have to leave a review like this but I am being honest about my experience.