“Culture and courtesy”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Plockton
Plockton Gallery - The Manse
Ranked #8 of 14 Plockton B&B and Inns
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Culture and courtesy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have stayed at the Manse on number of occasions and different times of the year. It is always a pleasure but I think my favourite time is when the exhibition is happening because the place is festooned with fine works of art. But you need to go with the flow. It is much more interesting and stimulating than b and b can normally provide. A great place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Neil M
miriamclare, Owner at Plockton Gallery - The Manse, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thanks dear Neil M. for those kind words. I'm so glad you enjoy going with the flow.
Could it be that your less than perfect sleep quality was due to the fun during Regatta Fortnight? Maybe specifically to the fun right outside one of your windows?
The pub across the road does have advantages 50 weeks of the year, but maybe doesn't enable five star sleeping quality on those 2 special weeks mid-summer! It can be a bit noisy up until midnight. My apologies.
I hope you'll still come back to Plockton.
I look forward to welcoming you- and your family- again, Regatta time or anytime. mx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Guildford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

On arrival at the Plockton Gallery and Guesthouse my cousin and I were greeted warmly by Miriam and shown to our spacious room which contained a large 4 poster bed and a single bed. The ensuite bathroom had a free standing bath etc and an armchair and table with dormer window overlooking the bay. The room itself was well furnished with armchairs, book shelves, table and TV with plenty of wardrobe and drawer space and a good selection of hot drinks, a kettle and jug of fresh milk! We also had access to a power shower in the adjoining bathroom which we preferred to the bath.The views over the garden, street and sea are lovely.
Miriam made us feel very much at home with a pot of tea and freshly-made home baked cake whilst telling us about the local area, where to eat and drink, and the trips we could make to surrounding areas.
Because the summer exhibition is in full swing the Manse had been transformed into an art gallery with paintings, sculptures, ceramics etc on every inch of wall and every nook and cranny including the garden.Our room obviously was excluded from this, though there was plenty of art on the walls anyway!!! This made for a very interesting and culturally enriching stay.
The rooms are brightly decorated with an arty, quirky touch - very clean and comfy.
As for the breakfast, well! Colourfully patterened tablecloth and mismatched china set the tone and we were offered grapefruit, museli, porridge, smoked haddock and/or full Scottish which includes haggis and black pudding - all ingredients locally sourced. And home-made bread. What a spread! Nothing was too much trouble. That meal set us up for the day!
Plockton itself is a small town/village so it is easy to walk around and there are pubs and restaurants serving up delicious meals including freshly caught seafood and local ales. We also enjoyed the music in the pubs, very talented local musicians gather in the corner of the bar with a variety of guitars, fiddles, banjos etc and treat us to toe-tapping Scottish tunes. We were also lucky enough to witness a visiting trio of pipers who played briefly one evening at the Plockton Inn.
Whilst in Plockton it is worth taking a cruise with Calum's Seal and Dolphin Trips round the bay which which is so much fun.
If there was a downside it would be lack if internet access in most of the area, though the Shores Restaurant did have it. Some would say this is a good thing to have peace whilst on holiday!
I would love to return here and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Muriel Q
miriamclare, Owner at Plockton Gallery - The Manse, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for such a lovely review! So pleased you enjoyed your days here. Thanx, Miriam
Oberursel (Taunus), Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Once we found this B&B things improved, but there were no signs outside whatsoever and we did not have a street number. So after walking up and down for a while we asked a local. They were not sure exactly where to go, but on the third walk past I noticed the trip advisor decal in the window, and proceeded to walk in calling for the proprietor - it was the right place. Also, there was no working lock on our door, so we had no security within the B&B. It was interesting to stay in an art gallery, and the room facilities were good. The bathroom did not have a shower, but I was able to use the separate shower off the hallway just outside our room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
miriamclare, Owner at Plockton Gallery - The Manse, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Hi,Thank you for your prompt review.
I am so sorry you had difficulty finding us. I usually tell visitors when booking that we are opposite the Plockton Inn, and have a lot of sculpture in the garden, but maybe I forgot to tell you. If so, my apologies. There are no numbers in Innes Street, and I do not accept walk-in bookings; there is no sign outside the front door.
As we were setting up for the big annual summer art exhibition when you arrived, things were unusual...furniture, paintings and sculpture being moved around etc.. To be honest, I probably should not have taken any B&B guests over those few days... it was a bit chaotic behind the scenes. The exhibition opened the day after you left. It has been a sucsessful show, with visitors and locals enjoying the artworks.
I did not realise you were unhappy with the en-suite facilities. I wish you had said at the time! We could have offered you another en-suite room easily. Or found more suitable accommodation nearby.
As you feel you did not have value for money, please contact me and tell me how much you would like reimbursed by. Email and phone number below.
I hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels in Scotland.
Kind regards, Miriam
miriam@plocktongallery.com
Perth, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Myself and two fellow bikers, enjoyed our stay at the Manse, safe offroad parking for our bikes, a great welcome, nice clean rooms, and a fantastic full breakfast with two types of lovely freshly home made bread! Set us up well for the day!
Lovely meal across the road at the Plockton Inn, washed down by a few beers!
Some lovely art on display for the next evenings exhibition.
We will definately be back, thank you to Miriam, and her lovely Spanish assistant!

Paul, Martin and Jon

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks guys, for a nice review. Do come back, anytime. Cheers, Miriam
North West England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Read all previous reviews and you will soon gain a sense of just how charming a B and B this is. From the moment we met Miriam we knew that we had inadvertently hit upon a truly unique experience, where we would become immersed into a world of art and culture. The accommodation is bright and comfortable with careful attention to detail. Miriam ensures that you feel at home in her home; offering the possiblity of making hot drinks in the kitchen or in your room ( and with fresh milk, no UHT here!); or just enjoying music or reading in the sitting room. Her breakfasts were sumptious and set us up for the rest of the day. We discussed the virtues of adding seaweed to Foccacia and were able to sample it, freshly made- delicious! There is no doubt that Miriam is a generous host, She embraced my husband's interest in art and we accompanied her on a visit to some exhibitions. A surreal moment occurred when Luana, Miriam's Swiss summer helper, broke into tradtional Gallic songs as we were travelling in Miriam's car on Skye. I have returned with a borrowed book ( I promise it will get back to you Miriam) about seaweed and I hope to experiment using seaweed in homemade soap. That's the Miriam/Plockton effect; you feel inspired to do something to sustain memories of a fabulous holiday. I could say much more, but it's all been said in previous reviews. My only advice would be to go to The Plockton Gallery and see for yourself

Room Tip: If you prefer a bath rather than a shower, then opt for the Red Room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
miriamclare, Owner at Plockton Gallery - The Manse, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for such a lovely review!
My Gaelic singing Swiss girl has left now and a karate expert from the Basque country arrives tomorrow for 2 months as helper.
It's elderflower picking time this week, to make cordial and into bread. Fresh Elderflower fritters are delicious. I haven't offered those for breakfast. Yet.
Thanks again. All the best, Miriam
Glasgow, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

So glad to have found a home for my small groups when we are staying in Plockton. This year, I was lucky to get all rooms for my visitors touring Scottish gardens and there is not one more likely place than Plockton Art Gallery with Miriam's intuitive sense of hospitality: home made cake to help yourself, tea in a garden full of contemporary sculptures, comfy beds in light, airy rooms, walls heavy with paintings, delicious breakfasts in her happy colourful kitchen and interesting conversations about artists, seaweed foods, life in Plockton and local recommendations.

Problem is staying somewhere else after simply won't match.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Janso0
miriamclare, Owner at Plockton Gallery - The Manse, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
OMG....Now I'll have bake everyone a cake! LOL. Its usually only the walkers and climbers I do that for! You had me fooled, by bringing a party of cultured garden enthusiasts, instead of your usual ladies walking group. See you in September. Maybe we'll have cakes AND wine then. Thanks, Miriamx
Kirdford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

A great stay at a charming bed and breakfast in the beautiful village of Plockton. The rooms are lovely, the breakfast fantastic and the hostess Miriam very helpful. You have a pub over the road, restaurants round the corner and views wherever you look, we'll be back!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Bob from New York! Thank you. Lovely to know you enjoyed your stay. I've so enjoyed reading your books, Bob. Thanks from a new fan, Miriamx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plockton
Tingle Creek Hotel
#1 of 5 in Gairloch
Hartfield House Applecross
Hartfield House Applecross
#1 of 2 in Applecross

Been to Plockton Gallery - The Manse? Share your experiences!