“Rainy days in Plockton”
Review of Plockton Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Plockton
Plockton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Plockton
Rome, Italy
“Rainy days in Plockton”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

It's always a little strange to read a devastatingly negative review of a place where, despite the pretty awful weather, you've just had a lovely three day stay - I found all the staff extremely cheery and attentive, the pub lovely, and the food ok - I had the veggie option, which was alright. My wife however had a huge plate of mussels followed by a platter of prawns and said it was the best she'd had while we were over in Scotland. I myself fell in love with a Cromarty ale called Hit the Lip, and lord knows when I'll have another chance to try it! With the rain thrashing down outside, we found the pub area a cosy and welcoming place to while away a few hours, and service was brisk and pleasant. The room was fine, we were in the annexe - space to move around in, a view over the water, comfortable bed. My one lament might be a lack of drying facilities - soaked to the bone after a hike, it was impossible to get things dry before leaving. Even a drying stand might be useful, or something similar.And kudos to the staff for coming up with an adaptor for our European plugs. All in all, a lovely visit - hope to go back one day and see what Plockton looks like in the sun!

2 Thank SJWilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have visited Plockton several times in the past, but have never stayed at the Plockton Hotel. Won't make that mistake again as this is a friendly and relaxing place to stay. From arrival to departure the staff were really considerate and helpful. The room was very clean and the bed comfortable. The evening meal was first rate and the full breakfast top notch - just so much better than the 'stodge' served up at chain type hotels. Definitely worth a stay if you are looking for a hotel in this area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jodel D
Reviewed April 22, 2013

4 family members and I have just got back off a 4 night stay in west Scotland. 2 nights were speant at the plockton hotel. We are quite familiar with the hotel as we stayed in 2011 and 2012 for 1 night and 2 nights. When arriving we were greeted with a rushed tierd looking gentlement who couldn't understand there were 5 of us in our party but only wanted 4 bedrooms. After he managed to get his head around this simple issue, we settled down for dinner and was greeted by a bar man who was quiet and rude. Not painting a very good picture until the waiter came up who was up for a laugh and a nice guy. The food, was awful, I had scallops to start, 2 scallops for £7.00? Steep especially as they land then about 10m away. They were covered in raw garlic and cold. The garlic formed some form of impenetrable duvet under which the poor scallops lay. As if it couldn't have got worse the mussels I had for main were simply boiled with whole garlic cloves cut into 3 or 4 pieces and that was that, no cream or onions. The fish and chips one of our party had was horrible, the oil they were using to deep fry the fish in was obviously as old as the establishment. Once finished dinner we got some cards out and began to play a card game. All our plates and empty glasses were still on the table, for atleast an hour after we finished, bearing in mind we were 5 of 10 people in the pub, we had to move our empty and dirty glasses and plates onto the next table so we could play cards! another thing we noted was the receptionist whom is never at reception, is not really a receptionist, as we booked in we were booked in by the waiter, and we were booked out by a chef who looked like he should know better than to serve up that mess they call food. the newer section of the hotel is about as depressing as a NHS hospital canteen. We speant the last night of our stay in the plockton inn 2 minutes away whose food and atmosphere was outstanding. Over the years we have seen the plockton hotel turn very much into a hotel, not caring about the customers and serving terrible food in an equally as terrible restaurant. It is however in an outstanding area of natural beauty, please think before staying in this hotel, the inn round the corner is cheaper! And better! I don't quite understand how everyone on this thread has enjoyed themself unless members of the staff have written the reviews ! stay away.

• Stayed April 2013
10 Thank Fredsav101
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Being one of the only hotels in town, I guess the Plockton hotel doesn't have too much to live up to, especially in this idyllic location. It is wonderful! We had such a great stay in the hotel cottage, a couple of doors down from the main hotel. The room was tastefully decorated, clean and spacious, with a wonderful view out to the loch. And for a really great price too.

We also had dinner at the hotel which was excellent.

Dot and the team are a class act and I have no hesitation in recommending the hotel.

1 Thank Beautiful_life23
Reviewed April 5, 2013

An excellent hotel, run by professionals who behave as if their guests are welcome. The food can always be better, but we weren't staying at the Savoy! Our room was very comfortable and, most importantly, warm. Full marks to all concerned, and this is very much a team-run hotel.

Room Tip: It may be non-PC, but the room with its own balcony even provides an ashtray outside.......
Peebles, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have stayed here several times but never in the grip of winter. The service is always very good and the answer to any request is "of course". The setting is stunning, the rooms clean and comfortable and the food is great. My only niggle is that, with temperatures at or near freezing the heating system is pretty woeful.

Room Tip: The extra for the loch side view is a must!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank leesons2002
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We went in for food a few nights ago and whilst it was good, it wasn't great value for money. I don't want to give a 3 stars average as it was better than that, but feel a 4 stars very good is a bit too generous as well, a 3.5 star rating would be perfect I feel but I prefer to round up. All in all the food was tasty and it is worth eating here, but we felt some of the things were a bit overpriced.

My wife had soup to start with which was very nice and reasonably priced at about £4, I ordered scallops and when only 2 arrived (and it was about £6) I was quite disappointed and wished I had went for the soup.

For the main course I had seabass on mushroom risotto which was very well cooked and tasty and again reasonably priced at about £12, my wife felt that her main which was the whisky flambe steak with cream and pepper sauce (at £18) was tasty, but perhaps not worth the money we paid for it. The meat was tender and tasty, the sauce very thick and creamy which resulted in no hint of the whisky flambe and she was quite disappointed that the chips it came with appeared to be the standard frozen then fried sorts which was a real shame when we considered the price. We felt the meat part of the dish was great, but the side dish of chips was pretty cheap in terms of quality. A little bit more effort there would have made the difference and I would have probably said a definite 4 stars.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Willrobb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plockton
The Torridon
#2 of 2 in Kyle of Lochalsh
Cuillin Hills Hotel
Cuillin Hills Hotel
#1 of 6 in Portree

Been to Plockton Hotel? Share your experiences!