“Excellent”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Plockton
Craig Highland Farm
Reviewed September 21, 2011

There are some reviews on here that make me wonder why these people wish to leave their spotless and obviously highly organised lives. Maybe going to stay in a log cabin in the highlands isnt for them! I can only say if you like landscape, paddling, views, atmosphere, relaxing and friendly hosts, this is superb, I found the accomodation very good, clean, everthing worked and the owners were great, in fact Patti could not have been more accomodating, she offered us an extra couple of days for free when a cancellation occured, use of her pick up to take our kayaks to the beach, and when my boys asked for a peacock feather she said she would send one on later, she sent 4 when they moulted 6 weeks later...Im not sure what people expect, but I certainly got more than I expected and would highly recommend this place to relaxed families who like to do their own thing and enjoy the highlands and relaxed hosts. Maybe not for anal OCD sufferers! (By the way the pine martin was spectacular and didnt see any mice.) Brilliant, going again!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Ranald8

Reviewed September 4, 2011

We stayed in the large beach cottage. On arrival we were told that we would have to go away and come back later because the cottage wasn't ready, at 3.00pm! The views are stunning, but the cottage could have been much better. I had to wash the fridge out and most of the cooking utensils were dirty. I would only go back if the bathroom had been replaced - the toilet handle didn't work!! The bedrooms were fine, at least the bedding was clean, not like the pile of tea towels that were in the kitchen! The beach cottages aren't suitable for anyone with mobility problems, quite a walk from the car park to the beach, over the trainline!

Reviewed August 20, 2011

Just rented the 3 bedroomed Lodge for week. The location and views from the farm are amazing and there are some lovely walks around the area. Our children and dog had a great time with the animals and on the beach. The location of the farm is outstanding, especially being so near Plockton. The owners were friendly and around to ask questions etc. The lodges could do with an update, getting rid of the things that don't work like the tumble drier, shower, microwave. Dripping taps, doors that don't close, mice holes could all be sorted for very little cost. A plus was that the beds and sofa were comfortable and the washing machine and oven and cooker worked well. Another thing to mention is the brown water, bottled water is necessary to drink!

1  Thank RRosewell
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Stayed in the small beach cottage (less that 5 meters from the beach). We explored, swam, canoed and for those who want the same this location is perfect. The cottage is basic but when you can open the door and see wild otters, seals and heron why would you want it any other way? Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank EllenW1
Reviewed August 16, 2011

The setting of the farm is lovely if a bit tatty, but the lodge we stayed in is a little too careworn for my liking. Our tumble drier didn't work (we were informed on our arrival) nor did the dvd player work after the first two nights; and we were kept awake by the mice in the kitchen. There were mice droppings in the cupboard where the pots were kept and with no dishwasher I was concerned that our health might be at risk. This could be an amazing holiday rental place but personally I do not wish to pay to stay in a place for my holiday that is inferior to my own home accommodation. For example the shower was very temperamental and the kitchen sink was old and careworn and my advice would be to focus on the basics rather than putting teddy bears on the beds. We were told to separate to recycle our rubbish but not given the facilities to do so without leaving out rubbish for the mice to gnaw at overnight. We would go back to the area like a shot, but would find somewhere else to stay - perhaps closer to Plockton village itself which is fabulous. Note no TV reception or satellite at Craig Highland Farm, although we could get mobile phone coverage.

1  Thank Amanda A
Reviewed July 8, 2011

My daughter and I stayed in the 3 bedroom cabin - basic, but comfy beds, and good heating and it meant I wasn't too worried about getting fluff on the carpet. It has everything you need, but homely rather than luxurious. Views were amazing and at the end of June, it stays light until 11.30pm. The veranda was a lovely place to sit and just watch the changing tides, scenery and of course the animals. The peacocks were always sitting on our veranda rail when we got home! The donkeys came as soon as you went near the gate; every time we looked out of the side window, the owl was watching us. The cat in the barn loved being made a fuss of. In the evenings the pine marten would come to see what was on offer - we discovered that it loved marmalade!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Joebythesea
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We arrived to a warm welcome and beautiful views, however that is where the pleasure ended.
We stayed in one of the small one bedroom cabins. Whille I had expected for the price for it to be basic I had expected it to be clean with everything working.
I honestly have never stayed anywhere so grubby (and I have stayed in a bunk house in the past) the kitchen was awful and the fridge even set at number 1 would stay on all the time and freeze everything you put in there. Most of the food I bought was ruined as a result. The constant noise from the fridge was also quite annoying with it being open plan lounge/kitchen spoiling what should have been lovely quietness. The CD/radio did not work and we never bothered trying the TV which you could only use for DVD's anyway.
The floors had a patchwork of rugs covering what would have been a nice practical wood floor. By the nature of the surroundings I don't need to spell out how mucky these were and clearly not vaccumed well and The cushions on the sofa were covered in what looked like dried in saliva.
The bedroom was very small and yet the owners rather than take an hour to paint it had touched up scratches more than once with slightly different coloured paint making it very shabby looking.
We were told on arrival not to bother with the shower and bath instead but we are unable to bath so were left to shower under a dribble of water.
If all that wasn't bad enough the 'caged' animals were in a very poor kept state. One rabbit we looked at on our first day had no water so I couldn't relax until I had attended to it. Clearly the state of the bowl and the actions of the rabbit indicated this animal had run out of water for some time. The hutches were in a dreadful mess and tiny, I would hate any children to view this. The birds of prey enclosures were equally awful and delapitated.
I do not consider this place to be anywhere close to most peoples idea of a conservation farm and so would not recommend a stay here unless you have no interest animal welfare or basic cleanliness.
I would also go so far as to say that I suspect the 'conservation' status the farm advertises/holds could have more to do with obtaining grant awards than any real interest in animals conservation.

What was really annoying to me was that most of these problems could have been rectified with a little elbow grease and caring from the owners. They clearly don't deserve to have customers or to have responsibility for enclosed animals.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
11  Thank JontyScotland

Been to Craig Highland Farm? Share your experiences!