All reviewspine martenthe cottageslive tvrare breedonce a yearthe ritzllamasottersgoatsaccommodationdoglochmartinswoodpeckerspaddockhighlandstides
Reviewed July 8, 2011

My daughter and I stayed in the 3 bedroom cabin - basic, but comfy beds, and good heating and it meant I wasn't too worried about getting fluff on the carpet. It has everything you need, but homely rather than luxurious. Views were amazing and at the end of June, it stays light until 11.30pm. The veranda was a lovely place to sit and just watch the changing tides, scenery and of course the animals. The peacocks were always sitting on our veranda rail when we got home! The donkeys came as soon as you went near the gate; every time we looked out of the side window, the owl was watching us. The cat in the barn loved being made a fuss of. In the evenings the pine marten would come to see what was on offer - we discovered that it loved marmalade!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Joebythesea
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We arrived to a warm welcome and beautiful views, however that is where the pleasure ended.
We stayed in one of the small one bedroom cabins. Whille I had expected for the price for it to be basic I had expected it to be clean with everything working.
I honestly have never stayed anywhere so grubby (and I have stayed in a bunk house in the past) the kitchen was awful and the fridge even set at number 1 would stay on all the time and freeze everything you put in there. Most of the food I bought was ruined as a result. The constant noise from the fridge was also quite annoying with it being open plan lounge/kitchen spoiling what should have been lovely quietness. The CD/radio did not work and we never bothered trying the TV which you could only use for DVD's anyway.
The floors had a patchwork of rugs covering what would have been a nice practical wood floor. By the nature of the surroundings I don't need to spell out how mucky these were and clearly not vaccumed well and The cushions on the sofa were covered in what looked like dried in saliva.
The bedroom was very small and yet the owners rather than take an hour to paint it had touched up scratches more than once with slightly different coloured paint making it very shabby looking.
We were told on arrival not to bother with the shower and bath instead but we are unable to bath so were left to shower under a dribble of water.
If all that wasn't bad enough the 'caged' animals were in a very poor kept state. One rabbit we looked at on our first day had no water so I couldn't relax until I had attended to it. Clearly the state of the bowl and the actions of the rabbit indicated this animal had run out of water for some time. The hutches were in a dreadful mess and tiny, I would hate any children to view this. The birds of prey enclosures were equally awful and delapitated.
I do not consider this place to be anywhere close to most peoples idea of a conservation farm and so would not recommend a stay here unless you have no interest animal welfare or basic cleanliness.
I would also go so far as to say that I suspect the 'conservation' status the farm advertises/holds could have more to do with obtaining grant awards than any real interest in animals conservation.

What was really annoying to me was that most of these problems could have been rectified with a little elbow grease and caring from the owners. They clearly don't deserve to have customers or to have responsibility for enclosed animals.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
11  Thank JontyScotland
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Can't understand the moaning reviews, if u want a 5 star hotel then go to one, I have been around the globe with no expense spared, this place is the best by a long chalk, sure the accommodation is basic, but room service is not why u come here! Location, nature, peace, tranquillity, fresh air and the love of the environment is why u come here. Love this place, well done Patti, it is a job well done, keep up the good work with the animals, I will contact u at a later date regarding my decision to donate additional assistance with your wonderful family of wildlife. Chris, Sue and Branston.

• Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank murraylewis
Reviewed November 19, 2010

Spent a week in the small beach cabin. The weekly rate of 185 was reasonable and delivered everything I needed, relaxation. However, much like some of the earlier reviews, the accommodation is basic. This is not a luxury cabin so don't expect modern amenities, or a reasonable shower. Parking could be an issue, if it is wet and you don't have a 4x4, but its only a short walk up a dirt track from the cabin to the car.

Being early winter, it was cold but the wood burning stove done its job. The only major issue we had was a mouse in the cabin which kept us up some nights with its movements. Those scared of spiders need not apply!! There were certainly a variety of them..

Im not sure what the summer rates are but, the winter rate was probably just enough for the class of accommodation. The location just cannot be beaten. Will definitely revisit.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2010

i have been going to the farm for over 4 years now we go up as much as we can each year the place is amazing value for money u just dont get better

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple