“St.Kilda sea kayaking trip June 2013”
Review of Sea Kayak Plockton

Sea Kayak Plockton
Ranked #3 of 3 things to do in Plockton
More attraction details
Owner description: The idyllic village of Plockton and its sheltered waters provide one of the best locations in Scotland for learning and improving your kayak skills, under the guidance of Alison French, a fully qualified sea kayak instructor.Sea kayaking out of Plockton enables you to experience breathtaking panoramic views of the Isle of Skye, Applecross and Torridon mountains and reach coral beaches only accessible by boat. Wildlife is abundant and journeying by kayak will give you the special opportunity to explore the fascinating coastline and get close up to otters, seals and even porpoise. We also explore the Isle of Skye’s remote and inaccessible coastline, with its Cuillin mountains providing a spectacular backdrop. Here we may see basking shark and Minke whales. The sea around the Isle of Skye presents the kayaker with an array of conditions to hone skills and play in. The Atlantic tides squeeze through the narrows of Kylerhea and Kyle of Lochalsh presenting the more experienced paddler with rougher water to practice techniques.You will be equipped with top quality sea kayaks, paddles, clothing and safety gear, and will receive expert tuition in a guaranteed small group environment. Coaching is highly personalised and professional, with your safety and comfort paramount. Your day will be tailored to your needs so that your sea kayak experience is an exceptional one.
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My son and I have just enjoyed a most memorable activity holiday visiting the Isles of St.Kilda, The Monach Isles and Taransay, organised by Alison French and Murty Campbell. The MV Cuma of Island Cruises in Uig, Isle of Lewis was our mothership for the week. It is a sturdy, no frills but honest boat with a very friendly and professional crew who made our stay safe and so enjoyable. The weather was mixed ranging from beautiful weather and calmish seas at St.Kilda allowing us to kayak around Hilta and visit the settlement at Village Bay to a choppy 4 hour crossing to The Monachs which a few of my fellow passengers will remember for a little while. The best part for me were the new friends we have made and whose company very much made the week so memorable. You must appreciate that the weather is such a controlling factor of the success of trips in the Western Isles and on balance believe we were very lucky, and consider we have had exceptional value for money.
This is our third visit to kayak with Alison and Sea Kayak, Plockton, and look forward to our fourth... as for the Flap Jacks ....awesome

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I know it was early in the season and very quiet but my kids had a great time with the sea kayaks.
The man is charge was really friendly and helpful - and we were very lucky as the sea was so still and calm that this was the perfect way to start. They even have slightly bigger boats that take an adult and a small child, and these have a see-through panel in the bottom so the little one can look at the see below.
This was also amazing value for money and I would definitely recommend.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Three days of sea kayaking under the instruction and guidance of Alison French with her kayaking skills, knowledge of the lochs, islands / area generally, charming character, wit, gentle approach, confidence building and above all home-made flap jacks (!) just wasn't enough !!
As you can probably tell I (and the four friends I was with) had a fantastic time.
Sea Kayak Plockton is solely owned and run by Alison and whilst the business is still in its relative infancy (started in 2010) you'd honestly believe that she had been doing it all her working life. For my part, having gone to Plockton for a weeks holiday with no experience of sea kayaking before...or that part of Scotland for that matter... I can honestly say that it was one of the best holidays I have ever had.
Our week was to have been split with three days (Monday/Wednesday) booked with Alison, kayaking and two/three days walking/sight seeing. On the Monday we had our first taste in the kayaks. Alison introduced herself to us and explained how the day would progress. She was fully prepared with knowledge of the weather conditions, tides and winds and suggested what sort of route she would be taking us on around the coast and islands around Plockton to suit our abilities and to take advantage of how the tides and winds would be able to assist us.... at the same time take in the wonderful scenery, both landscape and wildlife. The day went exceptionally well and although we experienced an assortment of sea conditions, with Alisons expert, unflappable teaching skills we all arrived home safely...and dry !
However, Tuesday was possibly going to be a different story. The weather conditions (mainly wind) were due to deteriorate and Alison decided that it would be best for all concerned not to go out that day (a very good decision as it turned out !!).
So as not to lose out on our full 'three' days of kayaking Alison, in her, as we now know it to be, inimitable way, offered to change her week around a bit and said that we could still do the Wednesday (forecast looked good) and then mix in with another couple of clients on the Friday. That turned out to be the best thing she could have done for us.
To cut a long story short, the Wednesday took us to a different part of the area experiencing different kayak skills including one where Alison had to perform a 'rescue' when one of our party capsized in relatively rough seas (well I thought they were rough anyway!)...all of which she did in an unnaturally calm and efficient way.
The Friday was the best day of all. with wonderfully calm waters, lunch on a coral beached island (where the two other clients got engaged !), great fun and banter..(including the dry suit episode ! ) and more kayaking skills including two different types of rescue and towing techniques (even though a couple of us tried to make it harder than it should have been).
All in all,as I said at the beginning...three days of kayaking just wasn't enough.
I for one will very definitely be going back for another 'experience'

Value for money ?....without a doubt.....(All the gear you will need for your trip can be provided and it's all of excellent quality)
Value for fun ? Absolutely no question.

Would I recommend it to others?....without hesitation.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

A small group of family and mates recently had three days of kayaking with Alison , The location at Plockton is stunning and Alison is amazing , calm , confident and reassuring , despite some blustery conditions and five very blustery blokes she handled it all in her stride (good on er girl)
Best recommendation i can give is ; we'll be back

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Having meet Alison French for a days kayaking with my children in April my son and I with 3 friends have just 3 days kayaking around the Plockton area. Whilst the weather was a little intimidating at first with blustery conditions and choppy seas for two days it somehow enhanced the experience utilising the skills which Alison professionally taught us.
The third day around Plockton village was memorable visiting coral beaches and having so many laughs as we learnt how to do eskimo rescues, towing techniques etc.
She is a great instructor who has tremendous patience and is great fun to be with, and we cannot recommend her highly enough to anyone wishing to experience a great activity in one of the most picturesque parts of Britain we have ever visited

2  Thank rhiw-bach