“Traditional Fish and Chips”

Plockton Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 6 Restaurants in Plockton
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We ordered the above and found it to be pretty good but a little high priced for the food. The harbor view was spectacular though and walking along met some charming village folk.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

We recently had a good lunch here - good food and service; cosy bar and an outside seating area if the sun shines. We didn't have an evening meal here but it has a VG reputation. Plockton is a beautiful place to visit

Reviewed April 14, 2014

This visit started amazingly. Lovely friendly welcome and cosy fire and great big table to seat our party in a room away from the bar - very wise as we had the younglings with us and helped us relax. The grown up boys were in seventh heaven with the selection of real ales and the menu looked very varied and promising and the specials sounded very tantalising. Sadly when our order was taken there was no venison and only three portions of the steak and ale pie which was a bit of a pity as four of our party wanted it and the venison was the second choice. This was completely forgivable in an establishment where food is cooked fresh and realise it must happen from time to time. Then things started to change. We realised when waiting for our food the music was repeating one song over and over and although I quite like REM the one depressing song became quite tiring. When the waitress came with our cutlery one of our party tried to tell her this but she was so focused on her task it took several attempts for him to gain her attention to explain this. Then the food arrived for everyone but me. I was told that my fish pie would be coming shortly. Fair enough I thought but 5 minutes later it hadn't arrived and all my polite party did not want to start without me. Eventually they did and then they did that polite thing of giving me bits and pieces off their plate, feeling quite uncomfortable as was I. 20 minutes later after chasing it up again it arrived. Everyone was finished and the kids were bored. I felt very sorry for the very apologetic waitress who had obviously drawn the short straw to deliver it to me and would have had far more respect if the person in charge had brought it to me with an explanation and apology. I understand mistakes happen. As for the food - pretty pub average fair! It wasn't a steak and ale pie it was a casserole with a bit of pastry and sea food pie served with coleslaw-really and several large bones ? The breaded fish was disappointing and I would question whether it wasn't frozen and just tipped into the deep fat fryer. Think you'd be fine if there is just two of you and looking for fine ales and pub food this would be fine but parties of more than that and families I suggest you go elsewhere.

1  Thank Foodster71
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Tried the hotel restaurant twice last week during a family holiday in Plockton having eaten there many times in the past. Was so disappointed. The service was awful! There were seven of us and we were served all courses in dries and drabs having had to wait for ages for an order to be taken in the first place. There seemed to be plenty of staff but it was so disorganised. On both occasions we were eventually served our main dishes but had to wait over 5 minutes for the potatoes and veg etc. the waiters had zero interaction with our table. The food was ok but far from the standard we have experienced before. What has happened to the place? It's not cheap so fair to expect better. Hopefully now resting on laurels as there is little competition. The Inn service is very good indeed and the food probably better.

1  Thank labradorbud
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Surprisingly enough the fact that I tried there what is for me the best beef burger ever! We stopped at Plockton desperated to eat something after a long trip from Glasgow, and unexpectedly we had a superb meal! Stunning views of the harbour from their terrace if you are lucky enough to go there in a sunny day!