“Reasonable option in the area.”
Review of The Tongue Hotel

The Tongue Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tongue
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We had a light lunch at the Tongue Hotel and it was a nice experience. The venue is beautiful and the service polite if a little absent but probably that's because it was lunch time and it was only us dining.

2  Thank promitheus

Dear Promitheus

Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your lunch but like you I am disappointed that the welcome you received was rather lukewarm.

The hotel team are usually much more hospitable, indeed our guests will usually remark upon the warm and friendly welcoming approach to service. Please accept my apologies for not attaining the standards we set for ourselves on this occasion.

I certainly hope that it will not deter you from returning another time; it would be nice to show you that we can do much better!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Brilliant hotel! Nice big rooms with bags of atmosphere and great views over the loch. Friendly helpful staff. Lorraine at the desk gave us some great suggestions for where to find the most amazing beaches and scenery. Breakfast was delicious, the black pudding was the best I have tasted. There are some nice touches, like a decanter of sherry in the room for the guests to enjoy, and you can even have a shot of whisky with your porridge at breakfast! The scenery surrounding the hotel is magnificent, with Ben Loyal towering over the Kyle of Tongue. The sunset on one of the nights was incredible. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel and would recommend it to anyone.

2  Thank Thomas B

Dear Thomas B

Your review made me smile! Thank you for all the positive comments you have made and for noticing all the small gestures we make to ensure our guests feel welcome throughout their stay. It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed them and your stay.

I have to tell you that one of my favourite parts of my job is helping people to uncover the incredible and abundant treasures on offer in this area. I then have the pleasure of hearing how enthralled they are at all they have experienced – everyday without fail I get to be excited all over again when I hear the guest stories of discovery and adventure!

Indeed, I have plenty more recommendations ready for your return!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stopped at the Tongue Hotel for lunch and to enquire if there were any rooms for the night. As with most hotels along the route that day, it was full. Not only did we enjoy a delicious lunch in ambient surroundings, but the hotel manager phoned around all of the local hotels on the route and found us two rooms at a nearby hotel. He then produced a map where we could see puffins on the way. Great service.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank georgie_beasley

Dear Georgie_beasley

How nice of you to review us despite not being able to stay!

Thank you for commenting upon the delicious lunch and the great service that you received. As a small hotel we pride ourselves on being warm, friendly, personable, colourful characters – just like the puffins!

We hope that you return to Tongue in the future, yes, it may be a long way from everywhere – but remember it's always worth the journey!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We changed routes and ended staying her for one night.
The location was terrific and we wished we had stayed longer as there were walks an beaches( yes beaches in Scotland).
Our room was fine . Large and comfortable with all things working. To get ther was difficult because of the stairs.having travelled for 3 weeks by car we had reasonably heavy suitcase which we had to lug down two steep flights of stairs and of course up when leaving.
Staff were very helpful and courteous and although fully booked allowed a late checkout so we could have a shower after a col swim at Farr beach.
The food was really good and well presented.we had a superb dinner and a substantial breakfast.
There are choices for cooked breakfast. I wasn't happy with my choice ,but it was not a hotel fault. Choose the English breakfast
All in al a good hotel

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jonathan M

Dear Jonathan
Thank you so much for writing your review, we appreciate the time you took and especially appreciate your kind and generous feedback. We are pleased to receive your positive comments about the hotel, rooms, staff, service and food.

The hotel is deceptively spacious and as it is built on a hill there are a few floors resulting in the inevitable stairs to rooms. Sadly this historic building does not lend itself to a lift but we would usually offer to help with the luggage on arrival – I certainly hope that we did.

It is delightful to hear how thrilled you were with Sutherland; this really is a beautiful part of the world with spectacular and dramatic landscapes. I remember that you went swimming at Farr Bay beach before your departure and that you came back refreshed to say the least!

We hope that return to The Tongue Hotel in the future.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed one night on a week long tour of the highlands. This was the second most expensive of all the different hotels we stayed in. Our room,like the hotel, was full of character and we had a very good view towards the ruined castle on the hill opposite. The room was very large and comfortable but a little dated. Wifi was available in the lounge area downstairs. I would have scored this higher if we hadn't been left disappointed with the food at dinner. The food was okay but the quality did not reflect the prices on the menu which are very high (at least £5-10 over what you might expect to pay for similar dishes elsewhere). If that aspect could be reviewed I'm sure there would be more people wanting to eat there - we shared the dining room with one other couple! Just as an example we paid significantly less for a much better quality dining experience (and standard of food) the following night at our hotel in Pitlochry. Their dining room was full and we had to wait for a table! We enjoyed our stay at the tongue hotel the character and location being the plus points with the food being a negative.

1  Thank wensday
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Our room was small with a view of the electric substation that made a noticeable buzzing sound 24/7. There was no bath, just a shower. There was very little drawer space and my request for additional coat hangers was not met. An old style TV was situated under the window and its position made it difficult for either of us to see either when sitting in the chair (side on to it) or when lying on the bed. When asking where the remote control was I was informed there was one but it was broken. The tea making ingredients were not replenished so I had to go in search of milk jiggers.

The staff were pleasant but the majority seemed very young and inexperienced. There was a lack of anyone overseeing them or checking with guests that everything was ok. We dined in the restaurant the first evening. We were shown to a table in the bar area where you order your meal. The chair next to me was stained, needing cleaning. I was told there was one lamb dish left which I ordered. 30 minutes later I was informed it was not available so had to reorder. We were shown to our table approx. 1hr after going into the bar. Sticky toffee pudding was on the menu but was not available as they had no sauce to put on it. The following morning we were asked our preference re. toast and we asked for brown only to be told after 5 to 10 minutes that they had run out. The second night we dined at the Craggan Hotel and had an excellent meal.

So overall I was not impressed with this hotel which looks tired and is in need of some TLC. Compared to other hotels I have stayed at there is certainly room for improvement in various areas/depts. and I feel it was overpriced both for the accommodation and dining. On the plus side the location is very good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Fab1Copthorne
Reviewed July 15, 2013

When we arrived we were given a very warm welcome and shown to our room and the amenities of the hotel explained. The room was superb, large and well appointed and included a small decanter of sherry. The view from the bedroom window was stunning. Dinner was one of the highlights of our holiday in the far north, wonderful food, served by friendly and efficient staff.

In contrast to the previous night, breakfast was a shambles. Breakfast is pre-ordered the previous evening and after 15 minutes I had to remind the waiter that I was waiting on my starter. After the starter had been removed it took 35 minutes for the main course to arrive. Clearly there was something wrong and the couple at the next table and a few others had the same issue as us. When I commented to the receptionist about the breakfast, I was advised that 'there was a problem in the kitchen'. Indeed there was and it was a pity that the waiting staff had to bear the brunt of customer's annoyance. Clearly management knew what was happening and should have been visible to apologise to customers. However, this was no doubt not representative of the usual quality and the experience at dinner the previous evening showed just how good the hotel can be.

I would not be put off by the experience at breakfast and would certainly come back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Caley956
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tongue
Ben Loyal Hotel
#1 of 2 in Strathy
Farr Bay Inn
Farr Bay Inn
#2 of 3 in Bettyhill

Been to The Tongue Hotel? Share your experiences!