“Wonderful just doesn't describe it.”
Review of The Albannach

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lochinver
The Albannach
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lochinver
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We arrived on Friday to be shown to our room, one of the suites and shortly afterwards the area was hit with a major power cut caused by a lightening strike across the water so the Michelin starred meal that we had been looking forward to had to be changed. The replacement what is wonderfully named seafood supper not only made up for it, it surpassed it. We then took the decision to book back in for dinner on Sunday as we wanted to try their full menu and trust me it was worth it, every dish perfectly balanced and the apple tart to finish was heaven on a plate, we have taken the opportunity to book again and want to thank Colin and Lesley and the team for making our short time with them do memorable and we are counting down already.

Room Tip: Pay a wee bit more as the suite we were in was heaven.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed at The Albannach for two nights and really enjoyed ourselves. We arrived a little nervous because, both being less-abled (my wife has CP and I have arthritic knees), we knew of the steep climb to the house. But it is easy to drive up to the house to unload and the staff were really helpful. Lesley and Colin have done an amazing job on the building, retaining and restoring its character. Yes the restaurant is dark but this is fully in keeping with the house, quite romantic and it is such a joy to not have music playing. We stayed in the loft room, a beautiful bedroom, very comfortable with a private decking area at the rear and a sumptuous bathroom with air bath and great water pressure.

We came for the food and we were not disappointed. It was excellent. Over the two evenings we ate exquisitely cooked guinea fowl, scallops, monkfish, hake, roe deer and delightful Jerusalem artichoke risotto. We are not dessert people but we enjoyed a lime tart with berries. The wine list runs to over 200 entries, rather too many for my preference, but it covers all interests. I would have liked some wine suggestions with the menu but advice was readily forthcoming.

Afternoon tea on the balcony with delicious lemon cake was another treat.

We had a great time and highly recommend The Albannach. We will be back.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Another fabulous meal at the Albannach for my partner & I. We are never disappointed with this place as the standard just keeps getting better and better . Its not inexespensive but worth every penny. The setting is beautiful, helped by a week of sunny weather (yes!). We started with an amouse-bouche of curry dusted scallop then pigeon pate. Great wine list. The meal was inventive and delicious with beautifully presented food. The vegetables were most welcome as I had spent some time in the area searching for the rarest of rare in Lochinver - the great spotted fresh veg!!!
Well done again Albannach unpretentious setting, unpretentious food & great service. See you next year.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2012

This was our second stay in the Albannach and just as good as we remembered it. The room was small but very comfortable, we didn't need to spend much time in it anyway. The bathroom was excellent.The hotel is an old house and should be accepted as such. Anyone expecting lifts, easy access or other features of a modern hotel shoud probably book something else rather than going to the Albannach and moaning about it.
The food (one Michelin star) was superb. There is no compromise on quality, much is sourced locally - especially the seafood. Some of the herbs and vegetables are 'home grown'.
The owners put a lot of effort into this and it shows. It also compares well cost wise with other similar quality hotels in the West Highlands.
Assynt is a lovely part of Scotland and ideal for walking etc. Coming back to the Albannach at the end of the day is a real pleasure and one we hope to do again.

1  Thank topdoc55
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Our friends visited Albannach two years ago and they recommended it as a nice place for few days off. Unfortunatelly I have to say that I don't really understand all delights about this hotel. I think that they created their brand few years ago and now they just rest on their laurels. The first thing which I don't like from the first moment I walked into is decor - looks like an old lady's house. All common areas are like this - plenty of old furniture everywhere, every single piece from another set, stuffed animals and plenty of old and worn carpets, even in conservatory (whats the point of putting carpet on nice flor tiles?). The most disgusting thing is display cabinet in hall - stuffed birds covered by dust. The only place where carplet is new are stairs - thanks to that they are really slippy. To make matters worse lighting in staircase is very poor. I can't imagine any people having some health problems walking through these stairs.

The staff is nice and caring - I think that's the strongest side of this hotel. However, I don't like their dressing code - actually it looks like there is no dressing code, they just have to wear something black and some of them are wearing ridiculous bistro-style aprons (why not all of them at least?). It's definitly not what you're expecting from such pricey restaurant.

The food is great. The variety of dishes is impressive, but dining room is ruining whole food experience. It's so dark that you can barely see what's on your plate! It's also very quiet, no music at all and everyone is whispering what makes you feel akward. Another minus is that comparing to the price they're a bit lack of details - I had piece of shell in my crab tart, and I wasn't the only one...

Room was nice. Bright and with modern bathroom, what was a nice surprise.

To sum up: visiting The Albannach is interesting experience, for sure worth if you have a lot of money. It is decent, but not outstanding, so don't expect too much.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mad_zim57
Reviewed May 24, 2012

When booking this hotel I explained I had difficulties with arthritis. No one told me this hotel is at the top of a long path culminating is a flight of steps suitable for mountain goats and little else.The did, grudgingly' allow me to take the care up a very steep drive with a very poor turning space. When we got in the general atmophere was OK but how they get the reputation for outstanding cuisine is one of life's mystery's. Our room was dark and crowded but reasonably comfortable. We were warm. a good thing in this part of the world. We survived but would not go back.

Room Tip: Stay some where else.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Philateley
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Our stay at the Albannach was sublime. The hotel is beautifully situated with views across the harbour towards the imposing Suilven. The room that we had was wonderful with a clean, simple and modern feel; the best that we found during our 10 day trip to the west of Scotland.
Having traveled for the food, we weren’t disappointed with interesting and excellently executed dishes. The venison was the star of the show… A small point for improvement – a significant numbers of wine and beers had n/a penciled in besides them. A few would normally be acceptable, however when this was more like 20-30% of the list. Something that can surly be easily remedied by stocktaking or reprinting the list when it becomes this significant.
I haven’t yet found a starred hotel where you can get D,B&B for this sort of price, it’s a bit of a hike to get here, but the experience and journey is worth it…

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lochinver
Inver Lodge Hotel
#7 of 10 in Lochinver
Davar Guest House
Davar Guest House
#1 of 10 in Lochinver

Been to The Albannach? Share your experiences!