“A Fairytale Wedding”
Review of English Inn

English Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Esquimalt
Reviewed November 8, 2010

We were married at the English Inn on October 10, 2010. The wedding coordinator, Justine, was so helpful up until the big day from coordinating the flowers, wedding commissioner, food etc. The Honeymoon suite is HUGE and perfect for getting ready in. The grounds are beautiful and perfect for pictures. We had a small group of guests and all were accommodated. The staff was super friendly and helpful. Be sure your wedding guests book early as rooms do tend to fill up.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 3, 2010

The grounds of this hotel are truly beautiful - very Shakespearean. The staff was very friendly and even helped to arrange a whale boat trip for us. Our rooms were a little basic (we obviously didn't get the ones shown online), but we did get an upgrade from a one to two bedrooms, which was nice. Very much reminded me of my Scottish B&B experience. Nice breakfast buffet also

Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 20, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Fairmont Empress for 2 nights in what the front desk clerk told us was an upgraded suite. The room, which was not ready upon our arrival, was dated, loud (there was a constant flow of people walking through the hallway) in poor condition, and poorly furnished. Our bathroom looked like something from my bubbas basement and when we sought recommendations for activities in the area we ended up speaking with the doorman as the Empress has no concierge. I was discussing my disappointment with a frequent traveler to Victoria and he suggested we visit the English Inn. We drove over and had a look and we were immediately smitten with the hotel and grounds. We booked a room on the spot and a member of their staff guided us to room #1 which contained a beautiful bedroom with a plush king-sized bed, a spacious bathroom including a classic sunken tub and leather chair, a magical sunroom with a large plasma TV, and an adjoining deck with views of the city, mountains, ocean, and grounds. The grounds surrounding the hotel are magnificent and the staff were polite and sincere. I hope that we'll have an opportunity to return to Victoria and the English Inn - I highly recommend it to anyone visiting Victoria, BC.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2010

The purpose of our trip was simply that we wanted to stay somewhere that would serve as a great little movie location for a ghostly little film. The English Inn & Resort was all that we could have hoped for and more. Our room was located in the Carriage House (there are several building/mansions that you can stay in). Room #60 (our room) was quaint and cozy and welcoming. Above all it was warm although I did hear guests at breakfast say on their last visit they had stayed in the main manor which had been very cold. After much neglect due to financial issues from the last owner, the new owners are making an effort to fix the damage done. They have a long way to go as when something is not upkept the costs to repair that damage is massive. The grounds are extremely overgrown (great for our purpose but not great for guests). If I were the manager I would do my best to convince the owners to let me see about going after some local volunteers to come in and just cut back bushes, clear brush and weed. The cost would be prohibitive to hire a firm but even though it's a commercial property there might be enough people that remember the place when it was one of Victoria's premiere tourist desintations that would be willing to help. I know I would (and yes I live in Victoria). To truly save this historic and important facility they need to get some help and encourage the local community to pitch in. Perhaps in exchange they could have a volunteer appreciation week where people could stay for free one night and be given a nice dinner in exchange for their hard work. They need to get creative as tourism is down to the point that even if they sold out every night it wouldn't be enough to get the place back into shape. Still from a historical standpoint and for a truly unique experience, I would recommend this as a place to stay. We even had the continental breakfast which was more than adequate although they still have cold coffee issues. It would also be nice to have salt and pepper on the tables and sugar bowls. As for spooky I would rate this 10/10 for a Halloween weekend, I think the owners just need to get creative to make this place a huge success. Make it not just a hotel but a destination for even locals to hang out on a weekend, maybe bring school groups through and have an interpreter/docent to give tours. I'm doing my part as I will have an entire YouTube video up in a couple of weeks just featuring this property and am already deep into research on the property. I love this place...how can you not?

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2010

The English Inn bears its’ name very well. It’s a striking OLD mansion, beautifully furnished with antiques and some comfortable leather sofas in the main areas. The gardens are English style meaning not the American style gardens where not a blade of grass is out of place. UK gardens have large perennial gardens and islands of water holes and fountains, etc. It is located in the Esquimalt area of Victoria within short driving distance of the main downtown harbour area. This Inn is reminiscent of UK Inns and has all of the same flavours. If you are looking for rooms decorated like the Sheraton, this is not the place for you. However, if you wish to be transported away for a night or 2 in a romantic UK setting, this is it! I had the garden Suite. It was a rather large room with a four poster bed, a lounge sofa chaise and my own semi-private balcony (see pics). The only negative thing I can say is that I could not find an electrical plug to recharge my laptop battery as they seemed to be hidden behind heavy furniture. I had to charge it using the bathroom plug. There was small fridge and a kettle in my room but as a coffee drinker, I would have preferred a coffee machine. But then the English are tea drinkers, right mate?

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 26, 2010

We stayed at the English Inn for a relaxing weekend getaway. We were very impressed with the property, location and beautiful tranquil setting. Would recommend this in a heartbeat for anyone looking for a nice tranquil getaway.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Checked in with my wife and two kids ...they sent us to the back of property (which is unkept ) I belive room 40 upon entering It was dark and only had one bed the closet is full of mold as is behind the bed none of the windows shut properly and it was cold and didnt feel safe , When this was presented to the lady at front desk she seemed irritated with us and was not helpful or accomadating as it was clearly an inconvence to her....what ever happened to customer service ??? Needless to say we will not be coming back and will not suggest friends or family to stay at the " Run down Inn" In reading other reviews I can only assume they have written them themselves.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank justjclass
Also consider these accommodations in or near Esquimalt
Fairfield
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
#2 of 2 in Esquimalt
Victoria West
Spinnakers Brewpub and Guesthouses

Been to English Inn? Share your experiences!