“So glad we found this place!”
Review of English Inn

English Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Esquimalt
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Loved the old world charm of this Inn! The staff were very friendly, helpful and accommodating. The grounds are great to explore on your own or as a romantic stroll with your loved one. We can't wait to go back for another visit!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SugarLoafWilkie

Reviewed August 6, 2014

We held my daughter's wedding reception at the English Inn on the BC Day long weekend. We couldn't have been more pleased with the way the event turned out. All her requests were met; the decor was beautiful and the food delicious. Heather and staff took care of all the details to perfection. The rooms were comfortable and clean. Most guests were from out of town and stayed at the Inn. We were made to feel welcome and encouraged to stay as long as we wanted while waiting to catch ferries. Thank you for a most memorable wedding.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank 1315clarke
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Did not spend the night in a room however did get rest for the wedding there. The room was very large and clean. Old world charm and beautiful. This is the perfect location for a
Wedding the location and surrounding grounds are beautiful. One d the nicest weddings I ever attended.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Michele S
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I chose the English Inn as my wedding venue both for the ceremony and the reception. Under the management of Heather Greenleess I couldn't have asked for a better day. They took care of everything to perfection and all the small things that are bound to go wrong on a day like that were tidied up and taken care of before I even knew there was something wrong!

The staff stayed late to accommodate us and took care of my guests the next day with a courtesy and professionalism I would expect at a very high class establishment.

When the house sound system wouldn't play in the foyer for dancing Heather called out her technical support guy out of bed in the middle of the night to help us and when the problem was bigger than he could fixed, Heather wasted no time in getting music happening in the dining room and moving tables so quickly and easily my guests complemented me on having such professional staff to transition the room for dancing. They had no idea we had a problem!

The gardens were beautiful and we got such lovely photos for the day. I would absolutely recommend the English Inn for anyone looking to have a beautiful, intimate wedding day. Zero stress. It was perfect!

- Kaleigh Harley

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Kaleigh H
Reviewed July 16, 2014

The English Inn was a fantastic venue for our wedding. In the past they've had a pretty bad reputation, but they are now under new management, so I hope no one judges them for past owners mistakes. Heather was absolutely amazing in helping make our Wedding as perfect as it could be. She responded promptly to our questions and did everything humanly possible to help us. The Ceremony in the garden was beautiful, and everything went flawlessly. The reception was beautiful, and the catering and booze were great too. We had a slight issue with the sound system, but Heather was on it straight away and we improvised a different setup that we actually think worked out better in the end anyway. The staff at the Inn were fantastic to us and our guests, especially Shauna who was the last to go to sleep and i'm pretty sure the first there the next morning too. If I had to pick any fault it would be that the barman didn't seem too happy to be there - but still did a great job all night. Recommend this venue to anyone. It is such a beautiful building and really was the perfect choice for our wedding.

Some of the rooms could use a little more TLC - but they have only recently changed management, and I believe, given time, the new owners will make more changes - as we've noticed a lot of great changes since they took over the place.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tharley87
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Be careful when you book here, I booked and payed for a king superior room and they tried to put me into a very mediocre standard. After I voiced my dissatisfaction they did move me to my reserved quarters.

I will say that the room and grounds where quite beautiful but, as others have written here, the grounds and balconies need tending to. Also, for heaven's sake, OPEN your fully equipped kitchen and restaurant!

Other than the beautiful room the hotel was dead, like a ghost town. Not in the least bit welcoming or warm. I was VERY disappointed and Victoria was my place of residence for more than twenty five years.

Breakfast good? Absolutely NOT! worst continental breakfast ever!!! The furniture was old and worn, the croissants disgusting (for the price of the rooms, you should be getting a full hot breakfast included)

I wish to be helpful here because this hotel/landmark deserves better! The feeling I get is that whomever currently owns the property is refusing to pour the necessary funds into it. To make money, you HAVE to spend it.

My husband and myself are frequent travelers, my suggestion to the hotel manager/owners is to google search some videos on Spain's "Paradores". Watch carefully, put the appropriate funds into this property, fill it's halls to the brim with music and warmth.

Would I stay again? As it currently stands? Absolutely not and I think it's a real shame.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank SweetDiAngel
English I, General Manager at English Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to pass along your comments regarding your recent stay at the English Inn. As you had secured your booking through an on-line booking site and upon arrival your choice did not reflect the room type you had expected at the time of reservations, I am happy to hear that the staff upgraded you at no additional charge to ensure your comfort. This alternative suite appears to have been more suitable for you as your comments reflect that you did enjoy the accommodations provided. As we are a very busy event venue, our dining facility is open exclusively to catered events. At present there are no plans to open as a restaurant as this would pose a challenge to our booked events all year long as well as offer little consistency to guests and locals wishing to dine here. However, we have partnered with a local company that offers delivery service to our door from some of the finest restaurants in the city. This is communicated with all guests as part of our welcome package at the time of arrival as well as the opportunity to be provided with a table, linen and fine dish-ware in the dining room.
Our continental breakfast typically boasts raving reviews, especially the croissants, however, if one prefers a hot breakfast this complimentary offering would not be to your satisfaction.
The hotel sits on 1.4 acres and is surrounded by an additional 3.5 acres of property that is less maintained. The surrounding grounds of the manor house and its wedding gardens are very well cared for, but understandably one could be assuming that this outer acreage is being neglected. We do not advertise the land beyond the 1.4 acres but we certainly permit and encourage guests to stroll and explore.
Once again, I thank you for taking the time to review us and wish to express our goal to continue to enhance the grounds surrounding the manor house as well as extend a premium level of service to all our visitors and guests.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Our stay at the English Inn was very nice. Our room had a king size bed that was very soft and had a little balcony to sit out on to enjoy the grounds. The grounds are in need of some weeding and pruning but it was beautiful because all the rhododendren were in full bloom. The morning coffee, tea and croissants were wonderful. The croissants are so huge and melt in your mouth. Awesome. The manager, Heather, is hands on and is on the ball! She takes care of the place and plans the weddings that they have there also. This hotel needs to be brought back to it's old glory. It is too historic to let it fall into disrepair.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room that had a balcony at rear of hotel with views of the gardens.